Queer and Pregnant: July, August, and September - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 641 Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning wonderful ones!!  It's been quite a morning here at school: assemblies, meetings with angry parents about Student Council (I'm a sponsor, kind of against my will), there's a health screening in the library AND I have regular everyday library stuff going on. PLUS I had a tough night. Alice is still enjoying the yummy noise which is so loud it keeps me awake sometime, and I slept wrong trying not to squash her and it's given me a backache AND I have a cat who thinks I don't get up early enough so he was pestering me from 4 a.m. so TGIF is what I have to say!!!

SERAF: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!joy.gifbellyhair.gifbroc1.gif   What a great day for you both!! SO excited!! As for food, we got a book called Feed the Belly which was great!!!  LOTS of excellent recipes, and all arranged according to what someone might be craving, like a chapter of sweet stuff, a chapter of salty stuff, or spicy, etc. But all very healthy and yum.  As for your other question, no, Alice will not sleep once the stroller stops. Whatever it is you're doing that makes her fall asleep, as soon as you stop she will wake up. If she doesn't wake up beforehand. 'Cause she's like that. J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter sitting in a coffee shop with her kid asleep in the stroller beside her. I may never write again...

AHope~ Big hugs to you regards your mom.  What a pain! Like the fussy baby's not enough of a stressor, but to have someone remarking on just how fussy they are. THANKS!!!  That would really frost me, I hope you're weathering it well.

MIzYellow~ I'm barely five feet as well. We can double team her Mean Girl ass!!!  Thanks for asking about my boobs!  I'm pumping twice a day at school (usually) but we are having to supplement a bit during the day. Still, She gets 8oz of formula a day and much much more breast milk, so I'm going to just let it go and be satisfied.  DP has made me giant batches of lactation cookies (with lots of brewer's yeast and oatmeal) so I'm happy that she's doing something besides complain...

I'm probably missing a lot of people, but I don't mean to. I have to go and do some work now, and maybe find an aspirin for my aching back. xoxo

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#482 of 641 Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM

No time at the moment to post, but must say--

CONGRATULATIONS TO SERAF AND SARA!  joy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gifjoy.gifflowersforyou.gifclap.gifcarrot.gifenergy.gifyikes2.gifjumpers.gifbroc1.gifwool.gif

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#483 of 641 Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Hello,

I don't think I will be jumping over here anytime soon, but thanks for all your words of encouragement!

... and of course big congrats to Sara and Seraf! biggrinbounce.gif

A (36) DP (52), brokenheart.gif over losing DD at 38 weeks in 2011. Our rainbow1284.gifrainbow1284.gifboy/gril twins arrived in April 2012!

#484 of 641 Old 09-09-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Ad astra: Welcome! I'm glad you popped in. Would you like to be added to the pregnant list? If so, when is your due date?

Library: I'm sorry that sleeping was so hard last night. I'm glad you have a weekend now! Hopefully Alice and the cat will let you get lots of sleep tonight. I can't remember--where is Alice sleeping these days?

Isa: Congratulations on graduating from your RE. So exciting! I hope that your OB appointment is fantastic!

Seraf: First tri food is so hard. I usually like veggies, but I did not eat nearly enough during the first trimester. Sometimes very mild veggies (raw cucumber, steamed green beans, etc.) worked for me. My wife put raw kale in smoothies, so when I was willing to drink them that worked. I hope Sara doesn't end up feeling too sick, or at least not too sick for too long. I'm so excited for you! orngbiggrin.gif I think I'll go late just because most of my family seems to have babies a couple of weeks late. But I don't really know. I don't know if we're the best targets for practical jokes. I'll have to think about that.

AmandaHope: I think the MamaRoo looks fascinating. I hope you'll tell us how it works for you!

Mizyellow: Your kids are so cute. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Crystal: I'm sorry that there aren't great birth classes near you. I hope you're able to find one that you and your DP can attend together!

AFM: I'm feeling much better from my cold, and I'm back to sleeping fairly well (i.e. I only wake up half a dozen times a night). I've been on my feet a lot at work lately, and I'm finding it amazingly tiring. I'm not sure if I just need to deal with it or if I need to make some modifications. The baby has been slightly less active yesterday and today. Maybe it is just getting too big to move as much, or maybe all my movement has been putting it to sleep. Hopefully everything is fine. 33 weeks as of yesterday. Wow. We got a moby this week, and we're looking forward to practicing with it. I'm still putting off buying diapers (we're planning to use flats, but we haven't decided on covers yet. Suggestions are welcome!). We're trying to decide how long to ask my mom to come for after the birth. She suggested two weeks, but we're not sure. She would be helpful in cooking and cleaning and such, but she also brings a whole set of emotional issues that I don't especially enjoy. She won't be staying with us. Any advice on that?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#485 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 AM

hiya! I guess its time to come over and say something. 

I don't have much to say yet. I'm super excited about all of this and dont really have the words to explain how I'm thinking and feeling! 

I'm feeling super tired lately, and queasy, but other than that I'm feeling really good. I am still nervous every time I go to the bathroom or feel something wet, that I have started my period, but I guess eventually that will go away. I'm super excited! 

I'm loving my new job. Being able to take pictures multiple times a week makes me super happy! And today I'm back at chipotle for the first time in nearly two weeks! 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#486 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Good morning and thanks everyone. We are thrilled

I left Sara an apple and a smoothie on my way to work. Hopefully the subliminal messaging works. 

Library, the only constant is change. Just because she isn't sleeping now means little for next week.

Escher, the more I move, the less movement I feel, too. Whisper wraps and thirsties (sp?) are popular. I have used the whisper wraps with o. My kids both wear their stuff low rise and so the looked baggy on him but you may have different experiences. A would complain in any cover besides pull up fleece covers. On parental visits, I don't know. My family was all about short and sweet.

QOTD: 

1. What is one trait you wish your baby will get from each member of your house hold?

2. What are two things you'er nervous about. 

3. What are 3 things you're excited about.

My answers:

1. Happiness - me

Appreciation of beauty - Sara

Curiosity - O

Bravery - A

2. Getting the baby out. How the change will affect the rest of the house hold. 

3. A baby. Soon! A summer baby and lots of time off work to enjoy my family.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#487 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Congrats to Sara and famly! 

And congrats to Ad Astra!  Hopefully you'll climb on board this thread train soon! 

QOTD:

Traits:

Me: never being bored

DP: generosity

E: endless imagination and make-believe

Nervous about:

1. birth complications

2. My daughter feeling displaced

Excited about:

1. Meeting this baby!

2. Giving birth!

3. Getting back into shape!

AFM:  My sister (who is my birth coach) went to a Birthing Again class (from the Birthing Within tradition), and it was a complete waste of money.  I accomplish the same thing every day at the park when I chat with local mamas.  My sister didn't come away feeling any more prepared to support me and I didn't come away any more prepared to support myself.  What a drag.  Good potluck food though!  But not worth $145.  I want more bang for my buck ... especially the second time around!

Seraf ... You were asking about the cord injury with dd.  She had it around her ankle, and it was compressed during labour.  So she fully recovered after resuscitation, but it's made me nervous.  Several of the babies I've caught have had the cord around their neck, which is easily remedied when baby's head is delivered, but around the ankle is a whole other story.  

On the pre-e front ... I'm so swollen that I can't walk a block anymore, after hoofing it around the city all day for the last many months.  I took my blood pressure last night at two different pharmacies, and it's officially in the pre-e range (135/95) so I supposed I should call the midwives and fill them in.  I just don't think my dream birth is in the cards, so I'm doing a bit of thinking and moping around that.  The great news is that I'm 36 weeks today!  And if we can stave off an induction until next Sunday, then I can do a natural induction with my midwives at the hospital.  The drag would be that I'd be on the wretched high risk ward again (no windows, no natural air, only one room has a very small tub).  I can still hope for things to settle, so I'm focusing on that.  Bah, who am I kidding.  I'm not feeling optimistic this morning. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#488 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM

hello all!!  i'm still here, just busy with life and work! :)  first, i am so flippin' excited for sara and seraf.  :)  so exciting (y'all are CRAZY!) but still very exciting! 

waving at everyone else - gosh starling you are so close to your wee one being here!  ds2 was fussy as a newborn because dp had an insane oversupply.  he kept getting too much foremilk and then was uber gassy.  poor munchkin.  after we figured out a better hold (and also experimented with dp pumping a little first) it got better.  thankfully she never had to eliminate food from her diet!

we have another ob appt tomorrow plus another u/s due to our little diva playing peekaboo at the 20 week one.   ds1           we

ds1 started fitba (soccer) on thursday and had a blast.  i can't wait until ds2 is old enough to start doing that too - in fact ds1 asked when his brother could do soccer with him, so cute.  we started going through all the tubs of clothes we have last night.  phew!  sorting out winter clothes for ds2 and figuring out what to donate from the 0-3 and 3-6 month clothes.

qotds:

1.  outgoing personality - dp, love of music and nature - me, love of life - ds1 and ds2

2.  having three kids under 5!!

3.  having a new baby, seeing our boys with the new baby, being a mum of three kids! (to be honest i never thought i would have ANY children so my heart is really overflowing!)

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#489 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi, everyone.  I finally have a few minutes to post. 

Indigo: Hope the repeat u/s goes well and that they get to see what they want/need to see. Btw, what is the hold that worked better to relieve your DP's oversupply?

Isa: Glad you had a great time in NOLA despite the storm.  Looking forward to seeing you next weekend!

Starling: Wow, you are close.  I'm sorry to hear about the BP and looming threat of induction.  At least you've gotten far enough that the baby should be well, though have your you and your midwives considered testing to see if her lungs are ready or whether to do the steroids?  I hope you can hold off until next Sunday.  The high risk ward doesn't sound very nice.  I can understand your needing to do some thinking and mourning about the likely loss of the home birth.  I think I had to do a bit of that myself.  I'd always really wanted a home birth and wish that we'd taken the financial and emotional plunge and just had Lilah at home.  I hope you can find peace with the birth that you get. 

Escher: Definitely practice with the Moby.  My favorite position is the cradle hold.  As for your mom, if she isn't staying with you and IF you think she'll be able to be genuinely helpful (ie, do laundry, cook, clean, hold the baby even if s/he is crying, change diapers, withhold unsolicited advice, get what she needs for herself so you and DP don't have to play host, etc.), than two weeks might be great.  My mom stayed with us for two weeks, and I wouldn't have wanted her to leave any earlier (but I was ready for her to go at two weeks).  It really depends how she is with you and your family and how intense those emotional issues are.  I found that I was incredibly sensitive emotionally in the first two weeks.  Those hormones are NUTS.  If having your  mom around usually makes you feel vulnerable or upset rather than loved and supported, you may want to put off her visit for a few weeks. 

Sara: Welcome to Q&P!  So glad you are here.  I wonder if you and Seraf are the first couple to be pregnant on this board at the same time.  I still get heart palpitations thinking about it, but more power to both of you.  I'm excited to follow along as your family grows so rapidly.  And I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your work right now.  What a great feeling.

Library: Sounds like you have a good, workable feeding situation that you are at peace with.  Glad to hear it.  Your job sounds hard but quite amusing, too. 

AFM:

My parents and grandmother just left.  As it turns out, it was a lovely visit, mostly because on Thursday night, Lilah started feeling much better!  It is amazing.  One week exactly after we started her on the new reflux meds (and also having reduced my milk supply with block nursing), she suddenly became so much happier!  She also started smiling, which feels like the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.  Since Thurs., she has done probably half the fussing/crying than she did before, and we can almost always help her calm down relatively quickly.  My mom hasn't called her "challenging" since Thurs. afternoon (though you are right, Seraf, that it could be worse). wink1.gif

The miracle came on Friday night, during her official temple baby naming.  It is a formal service (during which DP was also officially welcomed for having converted to Judaism--so it was a big deal all around).  On the drive there, I gave her reflux meds and lots of gripe water, and she decided to suck on one of the pacifiers we'd tried without success before.  When we got there, she fell asleep in my arms with no fussing at all and slept through most of the service.  She woke up and started squirming before the part with her naming, but she took the pacifier and stayed calm during the naming.  The naming was really moving--I spoke about her name, and how her middle name is after my grandpa who died in March.  My grandma and father got all emotional.  The lesbian mom rabbi was incredibly sweet and did a moving blessing for Lilah and for our whole family.  It was also powerful to have DP's parents there helping her celebrate becoming officially Jewish, since for a long time, they were  uncomfortable with that (though they never pressured her, to their credit).  Finally, the service included two of my very favorite Hebrew songs and melodies which I had sung at my Bat Mitzvah when I was 13.  The whole thing felt circular and connected and vulnerable in the best possible way.  And Lilah made it easy for us by being calm and comfortable.  I've rarely felt so relieved or thankful, and I'm hopeful that she'll stay more calm and comfortable from this point on.  The change really is remarkable.  She became much more interactive and much less fussy practically overnight.  And her acne is almost gone, too! 

QOTD:

1. Qualities

DP: patience

Z: sense of adventure

me: perseverance

2. Nervous 

That I won't be able to meet my work responsibilities this fall

That I'm  too short-tempered with Z

3. Excited

That Lilah is feeling better!

That the weather is beautiful.

That Z is doing so well with Lilah.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#490 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Seraf- (like giraffe) Loved hanging out with you guys Friday. I enjoyed sitting in the lesbian section with you guys. Your belly is pretty stinkin cute and can't wait til we can offensively breastfeed in public. ;)

Sara- how fun you are over here! Hope you don't get hit with MS. Keep eating those kale chips ;)

Starling: Bummer about the pre e. You are handling it better than I would be. I would be a panicked disaster. Keep your head up, soon you will be holding that cute little boy. Do you have a name?

Library- I got the best mental picture of us kicking some mean girl ass and decided that if I could draw (which I REALLY can't) I would draw a comic book and we would be the stars. Can't think of a good name for it though.

Ahope: How are you and Lilah (and fam) Baby H is doing pretty well, we have great days and not so great days. Yesterday was a not so great day but today I am getting smiles and love. How about you? Post some new pics? I need to see her pretty little face.

QOTD

Nurturing- me

acceptance- Chels

song making up abilities- Lennon

AFU: Poop is still just not really happening. I had to qtip his butt yesterday (day 10!!!!) and will be bringing it up at the dr appt. (his 2 month) He is in the best stage. Smiling and chunky and practically perfect. Minus the penchant for late nights and early mornings. Chels and I drank a little too much last night to celebrate our anniversary. Let me tell you what, 3 glasses of wine sure does make a girl feel less than fresh in the morning. Not to mention, my breasts were SOOO engorged from giving him a bottle for 2 feedings last night. We had a great and um late night.  Needless to say however, I will be sticking with my 1 glass max for a while. I am getting old. Have to work all day tomorrow. At least Chels will be home with the boys. Getting ready to switch to cloth, we are out of our baby shower diapers. I can't wait to see his butt in the cute dipes I have. I certainly don't feel I save much money on CDing because i have an obsession with cute diapers. Leaving you with a pic of my fabulous fam picking apples. Harrison is wide awake and having a blast ;) 082.JPG

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#491 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Library—I hope you’re having a very restful weekend! Your cat and my dog should get together and annoy each other for a change. I swear I’m going to throttle him sooner or later.

Ha! Clearly the Bears are winning, because we can hear people all up and down the street screaming, ‘touchdown!!’, which is pretty hilarious.

Escher—glad you’re feeling better. My friends used Thirsties Duo wraps, which were very easy to learn (DP and I changed our fair share of her diapers) and didn’t seem to have any major issues. Eventually the Velcro starts to go, so if you can find the kind with snaps they might last longer. They also had some g-diapers that they sent when she went to babysitters and other places where people were nervous about the flats. The mom question is tough. Any way you could have her come for a week and then back for another one a few weeks later? That way you’d get the help over a longer period of time, and a break from some of the emotional stuff.

Hi Sara! Very excited for you! Glad someone has joined me in my sleepy, snacky hell. I like it lots, how about you?

Starling—I’m so sorry about the pre-e. I hope you can drag it out safely for another week and do the natural induction—even if the conditions might suck some. You know, I had never considered the cord wrapping around any other body part—glad it didn’t impact her in the long-term!

Indigo—awww…little kids playing soccer are the cutest! Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!

AHope—we’re looking forward to seeing you, too! I’m so glad to hear that L is feeling better and that you had a nice visit with the family. The naming ceremony sounds just beautiful—moving and lovely and exactly like it’s intended to be. I’m so happy that you were able to have that moment—and congrats to your DP! Mine would very much like to start doing more Jewish things but I’m not sure I’m Jewish enough to do more than the major holidays. We shall see.

Mizyellow—you guys are too cute! I wish I were out picking apples—I’ve been wanting to but haven’t gotten it together yet. Sorry about the poop issue—hopefully your doc can come up with a good solution! Happy anniversary!

AFM—OB appointment on Friday went well. We had to wait FOREVER to see her (that’s the downside of this new clinic) but we were the last patients of the day so she took plenty of time chatting with us. Right after she got through her hellos she looked at us and basically told us that parenting is hell. It was pretty funny—she’s got 5 month-old twins and is back at work part time and I get the impression it’s been a hard transition. Then we got to see an ultrasound (on top of my stomach this time! Yay! I really did graduate!) and the little guy was dancing all over the place, which it wasn’t two weeks ago, so that was really neat. Couldn’t hear the heartbeat yet with the Doppler, but we could see it, so nothing to worry about. She talked us through her birth philosophy, which is pretty much what I’d hoped to hear (your body knows what it’s doing, interventions only if really necessary, watching before jumping in, etc) and then she walked us out and ended up driving us around the parking lot because DP couldn’t remember where she parked the car. Funny to be so friendly with our doctor, but I like it—I’d rather feel like a friend was overseeing this process than a stranger, for sure. Now I have a whole month before I have to go see her again—what am I going to do with all my free time?

QOTD1—me: interested in almost everything, good with my hands (that’s two, but y’all have kids, so I’m going to cheat)
DP: good with people (polite, funny, respectful)

QOTD2—Hmm…I’m nervous about taking this little guy to term. And about what the heck we’re going to do when he or she gets here!

QOTD3—I’m excited to see what the second trimester is like, meeting the baby, and watching DP parent—she’s going to rock it, let me tell you.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#492 of 641 Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM

thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

I'm going to do personals soon, but tonight, I feel too sick to stay up. 

I know that I feel so sick for a damn good reason, and I'm beyond thrilled to be pregnant! 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#493 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 AM

Personals on break at work, but I wanted to post a link while I had a chance.

Yellow, your obscene nursing made me think of this comic.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  

#494 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Good morning all~ another lovely day at clusterf*** elementary. I swear, if Mean Girl were slightly competent maybe I wouldn't mind her being so mean!  But I'm not going to dwell on that, I'm going to make it a good week!!!

MizYellow~ I LOVE the comic book idea! I've always been a big fan of comics, especially indie ones. Did anyone else read the Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist comics in the '90s? I loved those and that's what I can picture our comic being like. We can call it Titty Ninjas and we'll go around righting all the wrongs, and then we'll whip out our boobs and nurse our babies. LOVE IT!!

Starling~ Oh dear. I'm so sorry the pre-e problems aren't going away, but I'm so very glad you're 36 weeks.  Pretty soon your little fella will be here and all that worry will go.  Sorry your class was a washout too. Irritating! $145 is a lot to pay for good potluck.

AHope~joy.gifbiggrinbounce.gifthumbsup.gif   Your ceremony sounds like bliss.  I'm so happy for all of you~ L taking the pacifier is a magnificent miracle and the whole event sounds like a best case scenario. What a wonderfully relaxing surprise.  SO glad it went well. And maybe this is the start of a new, peaceful road for you?  Everything crossed.

Indigo~ Nice to hear from you! Fitba sounds cool! My DP's been sorting baby clothes all weekend (since Giant Alice is already wearing 9 month sized clothes) it is a chore, innit? This girl has more than she'll ever wear!!

Isa~ What a great doctor experience!  So wonderful that you hit it off so well so immediately and I'm glad you graduated from the dildo-cam u/s.  Hooray for dancing babies!  And yes, send your dog over around 3:30 a.m. and he and Iggy can have a chat about what useless owners they have.

Seraf~ So much excitement at your house!  Good luck getting Sara through the barfies. This time next year, what's it going to be like!?!?!? 

QOTD:

1.  I hope Alice gets my love of reading and my laid-back attitude, and that she gets DP's talent at cooking and her attention to detail. 

2.  I'm nervous about bringing a woman into this world where she'll be so vulnerable to evil men and their evil ways (not all men are evil, obv, but there's a lot of scary men out there who prey on women). And I'm nervous about giving her the best life and education possible (hope I publish that bestseller soon...)

3.  I'm excited about seeing what she likes and what she enjoys. Like, what's her favorite food and fave color and fave activity?  Who will her best friends be? Just getting to know her more and more. I can't wait.

AFM~ Decent weekend.  DP's not feeling well (stupid allergies) so on Saturday she and Alice both had really long naps and I cleaned house.  Alice did the opposite this weekend and was a great sleeper during the day and then lousy at night. She used to fall asleep in my lap in the living room, I'd put her in her co-sleeper and she'd sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning and then I'd move her into the bed beside me so she could nurse at will. Now she's falling asleep in my lap, but waking up as soon as I try and move her to the co-sleeper, so I have to lie down with her immediately and nurse her to sleep. Then I get to sleep on my side with her beside me for the rest of the night. I love the contact, but the angle at which I'm sleeping gives me a neck/backache when I have to maintain it all night long. Last night she didn't want to fall asleep at all. Today I am tired.  But I do still love taking our walks. We've walked every day for seven days and my clothes are already fitting better. yay!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#495 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Starling, I'm so sorry to hear about your BP. Stupid pre-e. My fingers are crossed for a week of safe BPs and a smooth delivery. Where will your DD stay when you're in labor ?

Indigo, good luck on your u/s today. Glad to hear your son is enjoying soccer. My son is one of the butterfly watchers. And A would only play if she was on the same field as him. They prefer different sports now.

AmandaHope, I'm glad to hear L is calming down! Thrilled to hear the naming and visit went well. When I used a sling with a tiny baby, I basically positioned them the same way I would in a wrap. Vertical with feet drawn up. Basically head right under my chin. Sometimes I would put baby sideways with head toward the rings. That may just be me, when we were hanging out with Yellow, everyone held in in a cradle position except me, because I prefer that vertical position. He didn't seem to mind it except when I poured ice water on him.  Oops. But yeah, I just put the baby against my body however is comfy and then tighten the sling down around us to hold tight.

Yellow, cute cute cute. Where do y'all pick apples?  That place out 161? We haven't been yet, need to look at the schedule, my kids are picky about apples. We had fun the other night. Good luck at work today.

Isa, yay for a good ultrasound!  Lol on parenting being hell. I keep giving Sara similar warnings.

Library, this time next year I will have a 4th grader, a 2nd grader, a mobile 10 month old and a 3-4 month old? I will be driving a larger vehicle. I'm way more anxious about how stinking old the kids are getting. Sara and I will still be working part time, hopefully.  I will have an awful lot of Halloween costumes to make.  I'm excited.

Escher, I agree with AmandaHope about practicing with the moby now. Use a Teddy bear or borrow a friend's baby. Once you can do it easily life will be much easier with a new little person.

Oh, and I was thinking about the mom visit. How long is your partner comfortable with her being there?  That's probably a number I would use. Because as much as I like my partner's parents, I would probably really struggle with a long visit if they stress her out.

2ez, you busy back at work?  You must be getting impressively big at this point, yeah?

Sara, fancy meeting you here, love.

Not much going on over here. Trying to keep cool, sleeping like a .... Heck, I don't know. Something that doesn't sleep well.

Sara is having some first trimester nesting and she organized the pantry. That was cool.

I had a dream the other night that I was doing some continuing education at the nursing home where I used to work. They had added a maternity wing. In one room they had 4 stretchers. One in each corner, each facing the next going clockwise around the room. There was a baby dyke in one of the beds and the doctor was trying to convince me to get induced. I explained that I wasn't even term yet and I looked over at the baby dyke and they were sewing her up. I asked why she had a c-section and they said she wanted her egg sandwich, which she couldn't have until the baby was out (they were making them on a hot plate between her bed and mine) Then he said I needed a c-section because I wasn't progressing and I started yelling that I wasn't even in labor. I left to check on the new mom and she was up walking around with her new baby boy and she mentioned that she hadn't gotten her egg sandwich yet, so I went and made her one. No mayo.

Weird weird weird. Now I want an egg sandwich. With lots if mayo.

#496 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 AM

escher, you can put me on the list! My due date is May 16th, 2012! 

I really don't have much to say as of yet. Feeling lots of weirdness right now. Lots of twinges and cramp like feelings, but they aren't actually cramps. I called the doc today to tell them I'm pregnant. Have an appointment with the doc that helped me get here, on the 26th! 

I'm looking forward to being less sleepy, to feeling movement and to crazy pregnancy dreams! 

#497 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Seraf—I had a weird dream like that, too (though no baby-dykes or egg sandwiches). Basically being told that I needed to be induced, but trying to figure out why when I’m still so far from being at term. I said something about having not even told work I’m pregnant yet and the nurse asked if that was because secretly I’m ashamed of having a baby. Eventually DP and I found a way outside and sat on a hill and they didn’t make me have the baby yet. Very odd, and vaguely unsettling.

AHope—can we borrow L for Moby practice? I hadn’t even thought of that…maybe we’ll get three carriers and try one out with each baby we know! We have a moby and a sling now—no need to practice with the Ergo since we used that a lot on our friend’s daughter. If she likes it, maybe we can keep using her in the future (rocking-horse practice, riding-on-shoulders practice, slip n’ slide practice, etc)…

AFM—I finally settled on a Halloween costume. This is Very Important as I foolishly announced a costume contest at a big work meeting and now need to bring it to keep my street cred. I’m going to be a Glo Worm! The original green one, with the sleeping cap and the nubby arms. My dad and I talked through a plan last night to incorporate lights that will go on around my hat and collar when hugged properly, just like the real thing! Now all I have to do is scout out some fuzzy green fabric and a lot of foam… Anyone else settled on their costume? Kids’ costumes? Dogs?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#498 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Seraf- LOVE the comic, you are pretty crafty........ just sayin....

Ahope: So glad the ceremony went well! Baby H has been taking the paci pretty well in the car and it is AMAZING.

Library- Titty Ninjas! Love it! We could make a fortune and not have to work anymore. Breastfeeding mamas everywhere will totally buy it. I haven't read those comics but am looking them up on half.com as we speak.

Isa- Gloworm! Love it, I must see a picture when you are decked out. Must. I think Lennon wants to be a pirate, he has the eye patch already and runs around the house yelling "ARGH" it is pretty freaking adorable. I don't really care for halloween (except for the candy) and won't be dressing up. We are going to put Harrison in Lennon's old ducky costume. Astinkingdorable.

I CAN'T STOP EATING I FEEL LIKE I HAVE A TAPEWORM. I AM STARVING ALL THE TIME AND WILL NEVER LOSE BABYWEIGHT. EVER. Ok I am done. Baby H had an awesome day yesterday and it was so amazing. I love him.

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#499 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Oh and Ahope: pics pics pics. Please!

#500 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Sara- We are over the moon for you and Seraf. We have been anxiously awaiting your bfp as we stalked you on the ttc thread. I guess the only thing left to say is "queue the veggies"........

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifblueman.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifblueman.gifbroc1.gif    banana.gif

AFM: We found out that a placement has already been identified for our little boy and that his agency will not change their minds. It did hurt us but we are the type of couple that strongly believe that things happen for a reason. We did visit the agency to drop him off some clothes, although we were not able to see him. Regardless of where he ends up he will always have a home in our hearts! We are now 27 weeks and the pregnancy is getting a little uncomfortable. The baby moves constantly and enjoys being under my right ribs. I am experiencing decreased sensation in my right hand and often wake up to it tingling. (So annoying) I can barely feel my right index finger and it drives me crazy. I was experiencing some cramping and the doc sent me for an u/s to check my cervix. It measured at 3.7 which I hear is pretty good. I gained 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks and after seeing the last u/s picture I know why. The baby is nothing but cheeks and lips!! From what I hear I'm small for being 27 weeks but that doesn't stop me from feeling like the baby is completely taking over my body. I really do enjoy feeling the baby back flip and kick all day. The nursery is still a work in progress but we finally bought paint to cover the blue and green walls.

QOTD: 

1. What is one trait you wish your baby will get from each member of your house hold?

2. What are two things you'er nervous about. 

3. What are 3 things you're excited about.

1. Optimism from me, strength from DP, intelligence from A, and resilience from N.

2. DP is nervous about the way she might get treated by me during labor Cuss.gif and I am nervous about the kids feeling left out once the baby comes home.

3. A bigger family, being able to share a baby with DP, and finding out the sex!!

Me (29)  in heartbeat.gif with DW (40) 
DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
#501 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 PM

mami: THANKS! so so much! I'm so happy to be pregnant! 

Isa: do you have any 'rejected' costume ideas to shoot out?! I have nothing for this year. Last year I was a soccer player for trick or treating and Peter Pan for the big halloween street party in Athens. 

Yellow: Do you work tomorrow?! I'm going to be in columbus doing pictures of a school. Would love to see you guys again! 

AFM: I think the car is lulling me to sleep. I couldn't keep my eyes open on my way home from the school I did today. I came home and took a nap. That was so nice. Then I went to pick up my eye glass prescription to get new glasses this weekend. I called the doctors office to tell them I'm pregnant and I have an appointment with the doctor that helped me with this on the 26th. I'm excited. Sara said I'll probably be able to hear the heart beat on a doppler then, but I dunno if I wanna hear it without her. I also don't know if I'll be able to wait until 12 weeks to hear it. We are going to get at least one ultra sound for me, just because my body likes to bleed randomly.  I'm still feeling tingling around my underwear line. It feels so strange. My boobs seem to be growing daily. They are going to be huge! 

#502 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM

biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifCongrats Astra and Sara!!! biggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gifbiggrinbounce.gif

I've been stalking around here long enough and am ready to be here! I reached the 14 week mark, and today I finally heard my LOs heartbeat on the doppler :) It was strong and healthy. Funny how it just hit me right then, in a much more real way than it has so far - that there is a little being inside me. My DW and DD were there and we all smiled and celebrated. We were waiting to hear the HB before announcing beyond our immediate family. And it is about time, as I'm no longer fitting my pants!

I have a tilted/retroverted uterus - which is a common thing, but means that it took until now to get a doppler HB. It also means that until my uterus unfolds as it grows - I randomly have times where I have to pee, but can't because it is blocked by my uterus! That was a bit of a shocker the first time... but apparently this is all within normal range. Anyone else out there with a tilted/retroverted uterus???

Anyways - I will be catching up on personals from now on, and am so pumped to be here with you all.

And Escher - thanks so much for your earlier hope on the second trimester being awesomely better than the first. I feel SO GREAT lately. Suddenly I wasn't tired, the boobs were strapped into a maternity bra (thank God) and I was biking and hiking (and nesting) all over the place :)

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#503 of 641 Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM

27 weeks and 1 day

Picture0185.JPG

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

#504 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 AM

Library, I forgot to mention nursing!  Shame on me. If you're uncomfortable on your side, you can probably nurse on your back or stomach. For your back just slide your arm under her head while she is latched on and roll toward your back until you find comfort or you can't go any farther. If you need to, put a pillow under whichever shoulder needs raised up. If you start on your side, you can lay a little farther away and roll the top breast toward her so you're more on your stomach and she is nursing away. Then you can adjust your body closer or farther for comfort. 

Mami, wow, (s)he looks so human!  Your hands sound awful. I agree that things sometimes happen for a reason, can you give the agency your email and ask them to give it to the family if they have any desire to contact y'all?

OMOM, glad to hear you're feeling better. Sara's uterus is tilted. Joy to know she has that to look forward to. 

Yellow, what are y'all doing, paperwork wise?  For legal protection of H and Chels relationship?

Isa, glow worm idea is cute. I thought my original one didn't have arms. Lol. I don't remember what the kids want to be for Halloween. I'll ask next time I see them. I'm going to be 39 weeks at Halloween. Yikes!  I'll be huge. 

AFM, 32 weeks. Middle of the night leg cramps. I'm mostly just huge. Starting to make more colostrum. I'm finally milk-able.  Sara is 5 weeks now and already making colostrum.  Between tears and milk out house is overflowing with body fluids already.   

#505 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Hi all,

Ended up in the hospital last night because I couldn't pee. Not fun! Apparently folks with very tilted uterus (pointing to the back) experience this to some degree between 12-16 weeks. Then as the uterus grows out of the pelvis, the problem is solved. Anyways it was quite the adventure in the middle of the night.

Now I need to wake up every 2 hours in the night, each hour in the day to pee to try and keep the bladder emptying. I really don't want to wear a cathedar for weeks. so I'm happy to do this. Its like having a newborn to wake up for again. :)

anyways SERAF and SARA - this is not a guarentee just because of a tilted uterus - just something to watch out for. I think the need for a cath and total block of urination only happens 1 in 3000 women. But more do experience some trouble peeing around this time. If peeing starts to become difficult (where you know your bladder is full but nothing comes, or comes in small amounts), I would recommend just starting an alarm every 2 hours at night. Avoiding the pain and hospital trip and the cath is worth the waking up.

Wish me luck that I'll be able to avoid the ER for the next 2.5 weeks until I 'pop' :) Pop belly pop!

Hope all are well today.

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#506 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 AM

and honestly, Mami - that beautiful face is just so awesome to see this morning! What a great US photo!

#507 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Mizyellow—lol! I hope the tapeworm goes away soon—or does its job and you still lose the baby weight while eating whatever you want. That’s the dream, right?

Sara—my other thought had been to be a Popple. I seem to be in 80s children’s toy mode this year…

Mami—aww..I like the little halo/cloud effect over that sweet little head! I’m sorry about your DS’ placement. I know the agency is only trying to do its best for him, but it’s still sad. I hope his new family loves him as much as you and your DP do—he deserves that.

Seraf: it had little nubby ones.

I’m not at all looking forward to the leg cramps—my feet tend to cramp at night anyway (stupid leftovers from surgery I had after college) so having it move up my leg just sounds like hell.

OMOM—oh, no! I hope you’re feeling better! My doctor mentioned that my uterus is retroverted, but no one had ever said that before, so I don’t know what the degree is. I hope you grow out of it really quickly!

AFM—DP decided to choose bedtime last night as a good time to start a silent-fight with me. We worked it out, but not until midnight. And since I can’t sleep after 4:30am anymore (I hope to god this goes away soon. Seriously.) I got about 5 hours of sleep. Is this some sort of cosmic attempt to get me ready for having the actual baby? Because I would really be better off if I just slept well at least until I get too big to move. Really. Universe? Really.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#508 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Seraf- We were also surprised about how human the baby looks. I was more surprised about how big the cheeks are and started wondering how it is I was going to get that out. Fostering is such a private thing that asking his agency to provide the other family with our contact information is not really realistic. They would see it as over stepping our boundaries. I don't think we would be comfortable with coming in and out of his life or disrupting what ever normalcy he may have.

1mommy- Glad to see you're finally comfortable with moving over here. I agree the US pic is great and love staring at the cute and chubby little face.

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

#509 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Hey ladies~ super busy day here so I might not get a chance to post much. Boo!!! Alice's sleep is in complete regression, it seems, and she wouldn't settle at all in our usual spot. Finally I just had to give up and go lie in the bed with her until she finally nodded off.  I'm wondering if my boobs are drying up, despite my best efforts. Her eating noise sounds so frantic sometimes. I don't know if it's just a noise she enjoys hearing or if she's mad because she's not getting enough food. We're starting to feed her actual food too, so maybe that would help. Plus my lactation cookies, lactation tea and fenugreek tabs PLUS pumping~ grrr!! I really had hoped to nurse her for a year at least.  I hope this isn't a bad sign...

Mami~ Sounds like you have pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome like I did. It's NO FUN and is ultimately what pushed me to leave work and rest before Alice was born.  I got some carpal tunnel wrist guards that were soft and I slept in them. That really helped a lot, since my hands were most painful early in the day.  What a sweet little baby face!!!

Seraf~ What a wonderful houseful. You guys are going to have so  much fun!  Thanks for the nursing advice.  I'll see what I can do! I can't believe you're both already making colostrum. I guess some people's bodies just do it and some don't.  I just have to remember that it's not me being a bad mother, but it sure does feel like it sometimes.

Yellow~ TITTY NINJAS TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!  And then we don't have to work anymore~ even better!!!

OMOM~ Welcome! Your pee problems sound nightmarish, but I'm glad you're being cared for. 

ISA ~  Ugh ugh ugh about fights.  What is it with partners who start them at bedtime? You should be able to just say "Forget it! We'll talk in the morning!" but yes, maybe you're just getting some training for the sleeplessness to come.

AFM~ Just the nursing and sleeping probs I mentioned above. Grrr...

#510 of 641 Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Library: I'm so sorry that you're having nursing and sleeping issues. I hope that Alice is just enjoying making some fun noises and that your milk supply is fine. I cant believe she is already old enough for actual food! It feels to me like she was just born. Heck, it doesn't feel that long ago that you got pregnant!

Isa: I'm sorry you're already not sleeping well. That's not fair! I know people always say that not sleeping well during pregnancy is great because it prepares you for the baby, but I think that is just silly--we need MORE sleep right now, not less! Anyway, I hope that it gets better soon. You have just a couple of weeks left until second tri?

Onemommyonemama: It's great to hear from you! I'm so sorry that your tilted uterus is giving you a hard time, but I'm very glad that in general you're feeling better now. And hooray for a healthy heartbeat!

Seraf: I'm sorry you're having more leg cramps. That's so uncomfortable. I can imagine there are plenty of tears with two pregnant people in the same house. These days I produce enough on my own for two people! Good point about it being important how long my wife wants my mom to stay after the birth. I think we both feel ambivalent about it--it would be nice to have someone to clean and do laundry, but it would also be nice to not have to deal with the issues that could come up.

Sara: I added you to the list! It's exciting that you have an appointment so soon. It seems like the 26th may be a bit early to hear the heartbeat on a doppler--I think you'll be 7 weeks then, right? My midwives feel like you can't consistently hear the heartbeat on a doppler until more like 10 or 12 weeks. But maybe your doctor has a better doppler than my midwives have. It sounds like you're having lots of good symptoms!

Mami: I'm sorry that you're having tingling in your hand--that doesn't sound pleasant at all! I can imagine it was disappointing to learn that your little boy already has a placement. I'm sorry.

Mizyellow: I'm sorry that you're so hungry. I hope you're able to find some great food!

AmandaHope: I'm so glad that the baby naming went well. It sounds like a beautiful ceremony.

Starling: Any news? I'm thinking about you!

Hi to everyone else!

Random QOTD: Do you think this baby is your last baby? Do you think this pregnancy is/was your last pregnancy? If you're planning on having more babies, how many and when?

My answer: We plan to have more children after this one. This may be my last pregnancy--our tentative plan is that my wife will carry the next babe. We hope to have one or two more children. We'll probably start ttc again in a couple of years.

AFM: I am continuing to love being pregnant. I love feeling the baby poking and rolling, I love getting tons of random compliments on how I look, I love always being offered a seat. I am however looking forward to being able to bend down more easily and being able to sleep on my back.
I had a bad dream last night, and I was surprised by how strongly the baby reacted to my anxiety. He was wiggling and kicking so strongly I spent several minutes purposely trying to calm him down just do he wouldn't accidentally flip over. He doesn't usually react that obviously to my emotions. Anyway, he seems fine now.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page