Gender neutral word for mom/dad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The more I think about it, the more I realize that "daddy" doesn't really fit me any more than "mama" does.  Badger will continue calling me whatever he wants to call me (at the moment it's mama) but when the new baby comes (I can hardly believe I'm even saying that) I'd like to have a gender neutral name to call myself with him/her.  I've been doing some poking around online, but haven't come up with anything.  Max is papa...what can I be?

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

Co-parent to Badger Boy with my beautiful partner Max.  

Photographer. Pagan. Pierced & Tattooed Punk.

#2 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM
2xy

Why can't your child just call you by your name? I mean, you don't routinely call him "son," do you?

#3 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

That's not really my thing, I prefer having a title.  Come to think of it, I don't generally call Badger by his name either, he's usually Dude.

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

#4 of 12 Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 PM

The Hebrew word for mother is "Ima" (pronounced eee-muh). Not exactly gender-neutral since it means mother, but it is something different. You could always make up a word or do a variation of a word to personalize it while also making it gender neutral. Something like "Amma" is similar to Mama which would make it really easy for Badger to switch over and call you that...

#5 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 AM
2xy

Makua (mah-'koo-ah) is "parent" in Hawaiian. I kind of like that.

#6 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi Maxsfox ... There are a couple of older threads on this subject, if you care to search for them.  I'll chime in here though.  My partner is genderqueer and our little one calls her Baba.  I've also heard of mada (combined mama and dada).  And of course you want to be called by a title ... after all, that's a huge component to being a parent and being recognized by the world at large as a person who has a unique connection to your child.  It's a rare straight parent who would prefer their kids to call them by their first names.  I don't know any. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM

What about Pare?  Short for parent... I have a gender queer friend and this seemed to work well for their family.

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Here's an old thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1161292/genderqueer-parent-names

My partner goes by Duda, though mostly our toddler calls DP "Du" or "Ma-Du," the latter of which he made up completely on his own. (I'm Mommy.)

As an aside, I don't call either of my boys "son." But I generally don't call them by their real names either unless they're in danger or I need to get their attention quickly for some reason. Each has his own set of pet names with which I'm sure I will embarrass them as teens. :)

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#9 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

It's a rare straight parent who would prefer their kids to call them by their first names.  I don't know any. 

I do, which is why I suggested it. But these are consensual living types who care about what their children prefer as much as their own preferences.

#10 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM

My niece invented "madi" (first sound of mommy+ last sound of daddy (mahdy)) when she was little -- it was a slip of the tongue when her dad was caring for her, but I've always liked it as a gender neutral term. (Unfortunately, the other way around "dami" doesn't sound very good!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I really like some of the suggestions, thanks!  At the moment we're considering Duna.  I also like Ada.

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

#12 of 12 Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Zaza is my favorite. Perfect for an ftm queen like me, but also gender neutral and queer.

pokeyac likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page