Book: "She Looks Just Like You; A Memoir of (Nonbiological Lesbian) Motherhood" by Amie Klempnauer ****** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just finished reading this book a few days ago, and I wanted to put the word out there that you soon-to-be mamas should check it out!  I would think it will be especially helpful to non-bio moms who are sorting through the feelings and requirements of their new role.

Being from Minneapolis, MN, just like the author-- I was lucky enough to run across a review for this book in our local (mainstream, daily) paper.  I ordered it right away and got to reading! 

The author is a lesbian, with a long-time partner.  They decide to have a baby together, and their discussions are covered in the book.  Considerations, thoughts about how life will change, hopes, etc.  The author decides she wants to carry their child, and goes through many sessions of insemination.  And nothing takes...  Her partner goes in for insemination, then, and gets pregnant on the first try.  So, then the author needs to deal with her new role-- no longer the body that will be physically growing their child, but now the caretaker of the pregnant partner, and later, the main caretaker of their infant. 

The book was entertaining, high on emotions and the nuances of caring for a partner/ working through the many changes in a relationship.  It's not heavy on technical details, so I'm looking to other books for that information.  I found it helpful that the book was so honest in how the relationship between these two partners struggled and changed through the course of creating their baby.  And how difficult it was on the two of them to finally have that little one there! 

I highly recommend this book.  Has anyone else read it?  smile.gif

KlempnauerMiller.jpg

I am 33.  I've been with my partner for 6 years. partners.gif  July31/Aug1- 3rd at home IUI with FDS

July 2013- 2nd at home IUI with FDS (new donor)- BFN, June 2013 1st at home IUI -BFN... 

(Before that, 3 tries at the clinic with FDS, 2 with clomid and 1 with femara)

#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 PM

It's been on my list since I first heard about it!  Thanks for the personal opinion of it.  It will be moving higher up on my to-read list now.  I just read "The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians" and "A Donor Insemination Guide."  The first was lighter and broke it down really nice.  The second one felt a bit more academic and I didn't get as drawn into it.  There were lots of things that neither of them covered and I found better answers to on the forums.  I read "Confessions of the Other Mother" a few years ago; that was fun.

#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I just got this book from the library; thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to remember to come back and post my thoughts after I've read it! :-)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Jennp85:  That's great! I'm reading "Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy For Lesbians" right now.  I figured I would start with the story, kind of ease myself into it, and then get into the more technical stuff.  I do like this book, too.  There is a bit that doesn't pertain to me, so far, but of course there would be since it's more of an overview of all the possible options.  I have also heard of "Confessions Of the Other Mother" and it looks really fun.  If it's easy to read, I might want to get that for my partner-- she's not a big reader.  winky.gif

HappyHappyMommy:  Great to hear!  Glad your library had the book.  Let us know what you think!  I found it to be a really easy read, sometimes tough to put down.  Hope you enjoy it!

I am 33.  I've been with my partner for 6 years. partners.gif  July31/Aug1- 3rd at home IUI with FDS

July 2013- 2nd at home IUI with FDS (new donor)- BFN, June 2013 1st at home IUI -BFN... 

#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lovestreet--confessions is definitely easy to read--and not that long (not long enough! I wanted more!). I'd recommend it for pretty much anyone on this forum. smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#6 of 8 Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 AM

I'll stick this on the Resource thread!

Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Great!  smile.gif  Thanks!

#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 AM

I love this book! I've had the book since I first seriously considered having a baby.. I don't wanna read it all up at once, I'm reading as I am going through it so I'm only like 3 or 4  chapters in. Any other books anyone finds out about, I'd love to hear about them!! <3

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page