KD Agreement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've got what I think is a great donor agreement (worked from a sample I found online) and we've both read it and talked about the details and what they could mean.  I just got the idea that we could get it notarized but I'm not finding anything out there about if that will help.  So far, all I can find is that we'd both have to go to the bank together and sign it in front of them.  I was thinking of doing two copies so we each had one.  Anyone get their KD agreements notarized?

#2 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM

We did get it notarized, but the notarization is free at my work so we thought, why not? Also, because we chose not to go through a lawyer it just seemed like another small layer of protection.

Me homebirth midwife (35) and DP (28) Mamas to the love of our lives, feisty toddler Lucie, and an aloof miniature poodle.
#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Last night he told me he had just figured we'd get it notarized so we'll be going tomorrow before we both work.  It's free through most banks if you have an account so we'll go to the conglomerate I bank with.  We're also not having a lawyer involved.  Thanks for the input!

#4 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Notarization is just a way of verifying that those who signed the documents are really those that signed the documents. So he can't come back when you're in a fight/legal battle and lie and say, "I didn't sign that document. That's not my signature." The notarization will prove that he did indeed sign it.

However, this in no way protects all your rights and means that the document will hold up in legal court. But in my opinion, every little bit of protection is helpful. The document itself indicates that he had only the intention of being a donor without parental rights. And by getting it notarized, you can prove he was the one who signed it so therefore it must have been his personal intention.

Did you get something in the document that notes he will sign away parental rights with another document once the chlld his born?

Krista

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#5 of 5 Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

It makes a lot of sense to get it notarized, especially with how thoroughly you explained the purpose.  It does not have a clause for that in there because it says he won't be on the birth certificate.  There are clauses that say he won't have any parental rights.  This is the sample I worked from http://www.2momslaw.com/donor.pdf.  It is very similar to the one I found in the guide to lesbian pregnancy book I read.  I feel confident in all the things in it and that we covered all our bases.  If this fresh round doesn't work then we will make an addendum for using a doctor as a middle man.  It looks like it is easier for a parent to relinquish rights in Colorado than in Illinois, so one more perk of the move!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page