Anyone become pregnant with frozen donor sperm while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I have posted a bit about this in the waiting 3+monthsTTC.  My child is almost 14months and nursing 3-4 times a day.  We would like to start trying again but not wanting to spend money on sperm if fertility is not optimal.  My period returned 3 months ago, charting is good with signs of O, but long, 35 days.  I have read that even if you are ovulating you may not have the right hormones for implantation or staying pregnant.  I do not want to wean my child early either.  Any one have advice, ideas, or experience?  I would really appreciate it.

Me (34) Partner (30)  Parents to DS born at home (6/2010).  We are TTC #2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM

I got pregnant with my 2nd when my 1st was 15 months and I was still breastfeeding, BUT I was married to a man then AND I had just went off of BC cuz I lost my insurance. I wish you the best of luck.

Finally after 26 cycles we got our pos.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***2ndtri.gif***36***40

Mom to Matthew(11), Brett(9), and soon Emmitt Parker! Now playing mom to nephew David (7)!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM

First, your 15 month old only nurses 3-4 times a day? Wow.

I got pregnant with fresh donor sperm at a time in my life when I was nursing my 20 month old several times a day. I don't think fresh versus frozen makes a difference with what's going on in the mother's body. If you read back several months in the queer ttc threads, I believe someone did it.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I got pg while breastfeeding a two year old about 8 times a day, but I nightweaned in order to get my cycle back.  It took only one try BUT (big but!) I used clomid and progesterone just as I had done with kid number one.  Don't know if that helps at all.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My story is a bit different because we did IVF, but I was breastfeeding my two-year old at the time, about eight times a day.

The RE wanted me to wean, but I asked for a prolactin level test instead and told him that I would base my decision on the results. 

My prolactin levels were low enough to not be a concern for me, so I continued. 

Good luck on your journey to baby #2!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.  I am still undecided as to go ahead this cycle or not.  My midwife did not seem to think that a prolactin level would really help.  Another concern I have is that my luteal phase has only been 10 days the last 2 cycles, and it was always 14 before I became pregnant the first time.  I am really agonizing on whether to drop $1500 on sperm...but if I could become pregnant that would be great.  Another June baby and my partner (a teacher) home all summer.  I don't know and have less than two weeks to decide....

Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Did you make a decision?

I got pregnant my last cycle while nursing my 19 month old. She nurses probably 4 or 5 times a day but not during the night anymore. Unfortunately I had a m/c but I'm pretty sure that nursing had nothing to do with it as I've had m/c in the past when not nursing. My LP was only 8 or 9 days my first 3 cycles post partum but is now 11-12 days. I started taking a B6 supplement in addition to my regular prenatals twice a day. I haven't noticed a drop in supply.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Carmen,

We decided not to go ahead this cycle, and may next cycle depending on what this one looks like.  I am still skeptical but hopeful.  And would really love more information and advice. 

User Tag List