Queer and Pregnant: October, November and December - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Carmen: What an encouraging cosleeping story.  I rarely hear about cosleeping babies/kids sleeping through the night.

Omom: YAY for feeling the babe!  So exciting and wonderful.

Escher: I went to a chiropractor once/month for the whole pregnancy up until 37 weeks, and he didn't even specialize in pregnancy.  I also felt uneasy at times with the lower back adjustment, but I never had any trouble, and I do think it may have helped with the wicked fast labor.  It is funny, because I haven't been back since, but my back and shoulders are a sore from carrying L in the sling so much.  I really should call for an appointment...

Juliet: Sorry about the scare.  L was moving very little on the day she ended up being born, which made me really nervous (and motivated a NST).  That's a scary feeling, especially right at the end.  Glad everything is fine. 

Isa: YUCK.  So sorry you had to deal with horrible sinus pain.  Your recliner and glider plans sound fabulous, though, and I hope you get to enjoy shopping for them soon.  I love the glider that we got when I was pregnant with Z.  It is Dutalier, and we purposefully got it in a fabric that works with our living room stuff so that it was still useful once I wasn't nursing anymore.  It is in our family room now, though I want to move it up to the baby's room so that I have somewhere comfy to nurse upstairs other than the bed, which is hard to climb in and out of with the co-sleeper attached to the side. 

Pigirl: Hi!  How goes it?  How is motherhood the second time around? 

Seraf and Cananny (via PM): THANKS for the bottle tips.  I bought an early sippy cup just in case.  L nursed right before I left at 11am and has only eaten an ounce of milk since then (she has been asleep since I got home).  She finally took the ounce from the third type of nipple that DP tried.  But she went down for a nap right after the ounce, so apparently it was enough for her at that moment. I'm glad I'm home now, because she is going to be a HUNGRY girl when she wakes up. Yikes.  By the way, re pumping, you just pump once for each time you would normally expect to nurse, right?  I only pumped once for a little while, which doesn't feel like enough. Maybe next time I'll do more.  

Wehrli: We use those fleece blanket sleeper things (the kind without sleeves, so you put them in a sleeper underneath and then zip them into the blanket sleeper over it).  L's hands still get cold when she is in the cosleeper, which bothers me, but the rest of her is warm, I think.  The key to our night-time sanity and cuddle time (when we get it) is to start her off in the co-sleeper, and then she moves into the bed in the wee morning hours when she wakes up to nurse.  At that point, DP sometimes moves into the guest room, and sometimes she takes L with her so that I can sleep without interruptions.  This compromise works for us--we get some cuddle time, and each of us gets some time sleeping with L without worrying about squishing her or covering her head with the blankets by accident.  A few times that we have put a blanket on her in her co-sleeper, she has managed to squirm around and pull the blanket over her head.  That's when we bought the blanket sleepers. I fear the day when DP tries to get me to put her in the crib. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

nak (my new normal ... again)

co-sleeping: E has slept with us since she was born.  We swaddled her early on and used a positioner to make sure she didn't roll.  We kept her high up the bed until she was done with swaddling and could latch on on her own.  We've also always used duvets with no problem.  She was a January baby and we just dressed her accordingly, considering she kicks off covers.  She's in one bed with dp now while i'm in another with Mister Yet-to-be-named.   E has slept well since about five months, through the night (except to rouse to latch on) since about ten months or so.  I consider co-sleeping the easiest thing to do to bond with babies ... especially the non-gestational parent. 

low-supply: Baby is down 14% so we've started supplementing with syringe and tube, along with the herbs, meds, etc.  I hate that we're going down this path again.  So soul-crushing.  I've spent most of the day crying.  Thank god for the donor milk bank!  Now if I could just stop crying about it.  I knew this was going to happen, but I had silly hopes that something might've changed.  I hate that this all comes into play on the day that that wave of post-partum hormones come crashing in something fierce.

Ad Astra: Welcome, welcome!

More later.

ps. AmandaH: dd drank from a shot glass from four months, open cup by five. Never had a bottle.  Even with using the supplementer.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#63 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM

Starling, I'm so sorryabout yoursupply problem. I'm thrilled you know how to handle it. These other girls might be good with dishes and cooking, but if I could give you half my supply I think life would be so much easier for both of us. I'm thinking milky thoughts for you. Oh, I doubt it will work, but can you nurse E on one side while he nurses the other and then just keep switching him from boob to boob as log as he will take it? And encourage E to nurse, too, since you're still so early maybe it will bump up your supply more? Try to convince your boobs that you have an army to feed or soemething? I wish there was something we could do.

Isa, you will have 2 chairs instead of a couch?  Randomly (just in case it happens to you, too) I can't sit in deep chairs/couches/recliners comfortably at this point in my pregnancy, anything that rounds my low back, really.  Hopefully any chair you get will not present that issue for you. I don't have any brilliant ideas for the sinuses. 

Wehrli, yay for cuddle time. 

Pi, hi, how are you doing?

Escher, hopefully yellow will chime in about the chiropractor, I seem to remember that she was a frequent flyer. I thought y'all were using a crib?  The blanket thing is a bigger deal because it's so cold in our house. The real plan for our crazy bed is, twin and full side by side (we are going to have 2 babies in bed with us this summer) then fleece blankets to prevent moisture transfer to the mattress, the sheets, then another smaller fleece blanket under the baby, then something absorbent, then baby wearing fleece or wool on top, or some type of sleep sack, leg warmers or long socks and maybe a belt with a flat tucked in. If we tuck a flat in, I would skip the absorbent layer on top of the fleece. Baby will be covered with my blanket as needed and sleep beside me, between us or beside Sara, depending on what's going on and who needs cuddles from whom. I really don't know how much Sara will want the baby beside her, I mean cute sleeping baby, sure, but kicking, fussing, snorting baby while pregnant?  I'm hoping she sleeps through a lot of it. 

AmandaHope, yay!  What nipple did she take?  Neither of my first 2 babies would take a bottle, so I would love a recommendation. 

My cold is making me crazy. If I didn't wet my pants a little every single sneeze, I wouldn't care half as much. Yeesh. 

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#64 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
AHope—glad she figured out the nipple issue and that L didn’t need too much to soothe her until you got back!

Starling—I’m so sorry about the need to supplement! As long as he’s getting what he needs to gain, though, I suppose you’ve gotta do whatever works, right? Sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the big name reveal! Are you going to wait for his 8th day to tell it to the world (once you decide, of course)?

Seraf—We’ll still have a couch—only one instead of two and two chairs to top up our living room seating situation. I thought about just leaving things the way they are, but to be honest we’re not terribly comfortable with the two couches, so I think that the chairs will be an improvement, and I like the idea of having more options for sitting once I’ll be doing so very much of it! That sounds like quite a bed setup you’ve got planned! I think it’ll be nice to be able to switch off babies as needed for appropriate snuggles…

AFM—sinus hell continues. I feel bad every time I blow my nose because everyone must think it’s so gross. Oh, well. Not much I can do except soldier on. I’ve got a friend in town tonight, so I’m hoping we can stop yapping in time for me to get a decent night’s sleep.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#65 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Seraf: She took (the big one ounce) from a Playtex latex nipple--the kind that is flat on top.  Lilah doesn't seem to like silicone, which is standard on most bottles now, apparently.  Playtex has a wide base, which helps her, I think.  She needs to have her lips pressed against something, not just on a nipple.  Anyway, like I said, the only took the ounce before she started fussing, but I guess it still counts for something.  Ok, and my cold is driving me nuts, too.  I can't take anything without affecting milk supply, right? ARGH.   I'm not even wetting my pants, and I'm super cranky.

Starling: Those hormones on days 3-5 are a WRECK.  Holy crap.  I cried nearly constantly, and I had neither major abdominal surgery nor a supply issue to deal with.  Biggest hugs during this super intense time for you.  I know you know this already, but I'll say it anyway: it gets so much easier, so hang in there, and know we are all rooting for you (no pun intended).  Btw, how exactly do you nurse at the keyboard?  I have yet to figure this out.  I feel like I need at least one hand to support Lilah, but you can do it with a newborn!  Impressive. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#66 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

astra - WELCOME! and YIPPEE!

sara - So happy that telling your folks was great!

library -  We took one side off of her crib and made a bigger 'cosleeper'. We just adjusted the mattress on our bed and her crib so they were even hight - put rubber under the crib so it wouldn't slide (we have laminate floors) and squished it all together with some blankets stuck in the little crack to make one bigger bed. We only had a double bed then and it was great - more space for us, and still cosleeping. Not sure if it is an option for you - but worked really well for us. With our double bed it worked to have the mattress on a frame and it was a good height. When we got a queen we just had the mattress and the base/foundation with no frame and it was a good height.

The one challenge is that when she was napping and able to crawl she could wake up and shimy herself onto our bed and on the floor. One day we were talking as she was (we thought) napping and heard the door stop twange (boin-oin-oing). You know those things kids love to play with? Anyways we both ran into the room because it could only mean she had some how gotten off the bed by herself. And she had. She was fine. No injuries, and no sign as to how she had safely gotten off the bed... We built a pillow fortress to block her in from then on and listened more carefully for her to wake up. A well placed snack or drink helped to keep her safely on the bed before we got to her too... and eventually she could safely make the transition when she woke up and it wasn't a worry.

wehrli - happy 6 months Silas! wow! time is flying! and escher! you are so close to giving birth. Wasn't it just last week that you were pep talking me about how awesome the second trimester is? things are moving so fast.

seraf and isa - best with your colds/sinus pain. Hope you are both feeling perfect soon.

starling - thinking of you as you move through the challenges of these first days and getting things established. I'm sorry that supply is an issue right now. I hope that things become simpler as soon as possible. Supplimenting and building supply can take some much time and energy - you are awesome, it will get better - I hope very very soon. Little unnamed one is lucky to have a fam so committed. We can't wait to hear his name (no pressure!)! So excited for you!

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#67 of 758 Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM

Isa- an ice pack for the headache! I have had to lock myself in a dark room with an ice pack wrapped around my head/neck at least 5 times since being prego. It usually helps enough at least for me to sleep it off. I got really congested and stuffed up a few weeks ago and the humidifier helped me with that. (Good thing I checked with my Dr. before using vicks vapor in the humidifier!)

Escher- I agree that if your chiro specializes in doing it in pregnant women that it should be super safe. I'm glad it helps you, I hated the chiro! But I think thats partly because it was an old creepy man.

Wherli- I can't believe its been 6 months either!! It seems like it was just a month ago I was reading your announcement.

Ad Astra- Welcome and congrats!!!

Sarah- I'm glad it went well teling your parents!

AFM, I got DP on the midwife/all natural birth wagon with me!!! I wasn't sure until today when she was on the phone with her sister and was telling her how great it was going to be with a midwife and her sister was obviously disagreeing. She even told her sister she HAS to watch "The Business of Being Born". I guess it just took watching it for a second time around to sink in. I tried to get info about midwives delivering at my OB apt today but no help was given to me so I did some research and found out that at Sutter Davis (30min away from me) most births are with midwives (and they have birthing tubs etc.) so I am going to see about transfering there. My OB's office makes it seem like only OBs can deliver at the hospital in Sac does anyone know if that is usually the case? I'm the kind of person that is easily pressured I guess you could say, so I really don't want an OB pushing medical interventions on me. Anyways, I got new super bright headlights today, can't wait to test them out when I go to pick DP up from work at 1am.

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

#68 of 758 Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Starling, sending you milky thoughts.

Isa, I'm sorry about your continued sinus trouble.  Here's a list of stuff that's supposed to be safe during pregnancy.  The reason I have such a complex bed set up, well, it's huge because there will be 4 people in it, but I used to have a bed with a massive PUL mattress protector and it made me sweat, so I always had blankets between it and the sheet.  We usually keep a fleece blanket between the mattress and the sheet now just for random accidents.  Sick kid, spilled water, just in case.  Then fleece blanket on top of the sheets to keep the sheet dry.  I used to wake up with wet hair from leaking so much milk in the night, yuck.  Then baby barf and pee on top of that is just a crazy amount of fluid on the sheets.  I am bad at waking fully at night, I have been known to take a wet diaper off a baby and forget to put one back on, hence the redundancy in the system.  I guess it worked out, tho, because Ari was dry at night before a year.

AmandaHope, I think I took sudafed once while nursing. I nursed and then took it.  We had milk in the fridge in case Ari needed some, but she just nursed when she was hungry again.  It didn't dry my milk up too much, but it dried my head up so much it hurt to blink.  I never took more.

OMOM, too funny about her crawling out of bed.  I used to know kids who were taught how to get off the bed as soon as they could crawl, taught to go down the stairs, too.  Never had a baby gate. 

Crystal, yay for getting DP on the midwife train.  

Not much going on here.  I think breakfast, clean teeth and take the dog for a walk and Ari has some sewing project.  I'm sure I should clean.  And cook.  And go grocery shopping.  I think this is my last Thursday without a doctor appointment, I'm planning to enjoy it.

#69 of 758 Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM

ugh... I spoke too soon... S was up practically all night... that's the last time I share good sleep news. lol no, really, I've had a cold and I think he's got it now too. he's been super congested all night. and he's teething, I'm sure of it.

so what's with the nose freida or whatever it is. I think I gotta go get one today because bulb nasal aspirators do.not.work. at least not for the kind of snot he's got going on. I can hear it in there but it's not coming out with the snot sucker we have.

sooooo tiiirrrreeeddddd.....

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#70 of 758 Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Wehrli: This is it.   If I spray a few drops of saline into Lilah's nostril first to loosen things up, this thing works like a charm.  And really, the snot can't get into your mouth, though it is hard to convince yourself of that in the moment.  I've used it 3 times in the last 24 hours.  And congrats on six months!  Wow--time flies, even when it feels like it is dragging, like on days when you are so very tired.  I hope you can rest along with S today.  I just got up from a morning nap with Lilah, since I'm trying to kick this cold so it doesn't ruin my weekend.

Seraf: Enjoy your mellow Thursday! 

Crystal: Go you!  How fantastic that your DP is coming around to the possibility of natural birth!  I changed from highly medicalized midwives to an independent midwifery group (and drove 45-60 minutes each way for every visit), and it was worth every drop of gas and every minute of time.  If you are easily pressured, it pays to make sure that your caregiver shares your own preferences and understandings about birth so that you are not pressured into  interventions that are simply medical protocol rather than in the best interest of you and your baby.  And you need someone who will really listen to you.  In my experience, midwives are SO MUCH more responsive to your own individual desires and needs, though there is no guarantee, of course.  Good luck!

AFM: UGH. Colds are evil.  But amazingly, Lilah slept well last night (with an initial 5 hour stretch), so I'm not a complete mess.  I broke down and took Tylenol Cold after L's last nurse at 11pm, and I didn't wake up until she did at 4am.  So that seemed to work out well. 

#71 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Wehrli, sorry to hear about the bad sleep night.  That always seems to happen after we brag.

AmandaHope, yay for the good night sleep.

I have been sleeping pretty well lately.  Well, I'm still getting up several times a night, but I can fall back asleep afterward lately, which I really appreciate.  In thinking about cleaning and nesting, I'm thinking maybe I should take down the 2009 calender. Hmm.  Just a hunch.  I think tonight I am going to order a bunch of stuff online.  I still want a pair of snap pliers and snaps, a milk saver, LEDs.  I can't remember what else.  I had a list of junk to buy.  Nose sucker?  I got paper bags at the store last night to sanitize some blankets and towels and whatnot, but we broke the bags carrying groceries in.

Oh, I got my first girl prediction last night.  Girl in the Chinese restaurant last night asked, expressed the standard surprise that I didn't know and then felt my belly all around the baby and proclaimed girl.  I thought it was kind of funny.  I don't get a lot of belly touchers (last time someone outside of my immediate family touched my belly was in DC), I think I look rather unapproachable most of the time so it amused me.

QOTD: How is your partner doing?  And how much time will your partner be taking off work?

My partner seems tired but excited.  I have been having so many contractions and I'm expecting a fast labor and with her working 2 hours away, well, she is thinking a lot about the upcoming birth and how much she wants to be here.  I really think she is putting more thought into it than I am (but I'm slightly more go-with-the-flow by nature, much to her frustration at times).

My partner's partner is feeling how much harder it is to say "I'm expecting a baby in May" while not expecting that child through a pregnancy of my own.  Work is the one that got me started on that one.  I didn't come out about being pregnant until it was unavoidable because I didn't want the extra, "you can't do that" attention.  But now that I have purely happy news, I can't really share it because I'm in the closet eyesroll.gif (which is a good thing at my job).  Speaking of work, they have been telling me that they have me covered when I leave.  I only told them, what? 4 months ago?  Anyway, they apparently didn't tell the girl they were planning on having cover for me because she has another job and now they have to scramble to find someone else.  I'm pretty grumpy about that.

When I have the baby, I'm not sure how much time Sara will be taking off.  When Sara gives birth I would like to take another month off at least, it will be after tax time so it should be financially feasible.  Sara is also hoping to go on a 10 day trip a couple of months after #1 arrives (good grief, anyone have a better idea for how to express which unborn child I'm talking about?  Guess I will only have that issue for another month) and her dad told her it would be too hard  on me for her to leave me alone with the baby for so long.

Whew, wrote a novel.  Now off to clean the kitchen.  Again.

#72 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Everyone,

Seraf: Wow, I feel honored that I got to touch your belly. I'm sorry you're having so many contractions. I'm glad that you're still sleeping pretty well! We are hoping to use a crib, but we're also committed to getting as much sleep as possible, and we know that is likely to mean the kid is in our bed sometimes.

QOTD: My wife will be taking off about two months when the baby arrives, more time later. I'm really looking forward to the time we'll both be home. Overall she is doing well and really looking forward to meeting the baby, but we're also both a bit nervous about how everything is about to change in our lives.

AmandaHope: I'm sorry you're dealing with a cold. I hope you feel all better soon!

Crystal: Hooray for getting your partner on board!

Isa: How are you feeling? Any better?

I'm sorry that I don't have time to do more complete personals today.

AFM: We decided to go with a diaper service for the first month or two. We already have a stash of flats and we're looking forward to using them, but we got overwhelmed by the idea of having to do tons of diaper washing in the early days when we're just trying to figure out how to be moms. Hopefully the diaper service will be helpful.
I'm having more BH these days, some of which are somewhat uncomfortable, but nothing actively painful. I think the baby is hanging out lower these days. Walking is still hard, but I do think the chiropractor is helping some.
We have another midwife appointment today and I'm looking forward to it. This is the appointment where they check to make sure that we have all the supplies we need.
20 days until our due date!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#73 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Crystal—yay for getting her signed on! Ricki Lake can do that to people…How did the headlights work out?

Wehrli—they’re super-gross looking, but I have some friends who have grown very fond of them. Good luck figuring out S’ cold and sleep setup!

Seraf—I’d say call the one you’re carrying Riot. And Sara’s…hmm..I was going to make a joke about calling it ‘S’ since that’s the next letter in the alphabet, but you have enough of those at your house! Maybe ‘T’? Or you could go the opposite way and borrow our next in-utero name and call it Makepeace. My DP won’t mind. Even if you change your minds about what to name them when they’re born, it would help keep them straight for the next month or so.

Escher—that hadn’t even occurred to me! There’s a diaper service around here but I figured it’d be better to just wash at home. However, the idea of getting them to come and do it for a month or two sounds like a brilliant plan!

AFM--*snuffle* Things are slightly better. Yesterday I ended up at home on the couch in a pile of tissues, but some benedryl before bed seemed to help and I woke up this morning still gross, but without the headache and the totally stuffed ears, so I’m grateful for that.

We’re planning to stagger our mat. leaves after the first week or so of being home together once the baby shows up. I’ll go first, for as long as I can (probably in the region of 4-5 months, depending on how much I can drag it out). The last 3-4 weeks we’re planning to overlap so we can go down to FL and see her relatives for an extended visit, and then when we get back I’ll head back to work and DP will stay home for another 8 weeks. Of course, we’ll see how things play out in reality, but this would be our ideal setup.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#74 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

18 weeks today. Yippee!

I hope all are well. We have a rare hot day up here - 22 degrees. T-shirt weather after having fleecy weather :)

Okay - I have a question - QOTD2 -  I need some maternity pants and I dont want to make them. JUst not feasable right now. But I want boyish pants. I really hate girly pants like flares and tight ones and boot cut or whatever. I want cut boy pants with a huge belly allowance. Anyone? tips? gar. So far no luck at the second hand or first hand stores but the search continues. Business idea - someone make some line of awesome tom boy/ boyish mat clothes.

QOTD1 - We have 12 months mat leave to work with, but the birth mom has to take 3 of them. So I will take three and my DW will take the other 9 months. We will take them simultaniously. I work from home part time - so we will share that work once I have to start again. At 9 months she will go back to work 2/3 time (which as a teacher means half days in the classroom with prep at home). and I'll continue to work part time and we will juggle back and forth like before. I can't wait to get back into having her home. Right now she is full time, I"m with DD all day and working part time (somehow) and it is a little too much. I miss my serene quiet work hours in the morning while they are out playing :)

I hope all are well. It is thanksgiving weekend for us in Canada and it is so beautiful. Leaves are changing colours and falling, all the harvest from our garden is being put away. I love this time of year. HAPPY (canadian) THANKSGIVING!

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#75 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey ladies~ Alice is snoozing and I don't know how long I'll have, but I wanted to drop by and make sure everyone's ok. I'm LOVING my long weekend~ hung out with my sister yesterday, hanging out with Alice today. THANK YOU for all your co-sleeping advice and experiences. I think I'm going to advocate a little harder to keep her with me/us. The two-blankets idea sounds like a good one, and I"m sorry for DP but she'll just have to cope a bit this year. Though OMOM's crib suggestion is good. I'll look into that.

Starling~ Thinking of you every day. Low-supply's no fun, but keep on going xo

WEHRLI~ I second AHope's endorsement of the Nosefrieda. It's so much easier and faster and after you do it once you won't worry again about the nightmare snotsucking scenario. 

Seraf/Sara~ Sorry to double up on you, but I do bundle you up in my mind!  Keep us posted about your trip to Little Rock and we'll see what we can do.

Isa~ Sorry you're feeling under the weather. That and feeling preggo are no combination.

Crystal~ SO GLAD you got your sweetie on board. I travelled 30 minutes to the midwife/hospital to get the birth I wanted. 

Escher~ Totally jealous of your diaper service. Smart idea. I tell all my gay boy friends that if they want to do something nice for a new mama, go do her dishes and run a load of laundry. 

I"m forgetting people, but loving you all.  She's still snoozing, I can't believe it!! Knock wood...

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#76 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Escher, haha, you are very special but I certainly don't get the pets I hear other pregnant women complain about. I figure I look like a pit bull or something. I'm glad you figured something out for the first couple of months of diapering. 

Isa, we have been calling both babies by name for a while. But there's also a lot of my baby/your baby thrown in. I figured if we used names or initials on here it would confuse new people but it's probably not that big of a deal. Here's my question, if so many of us are sick RIGHT NOW, how amazingly fast do colds spread?  Most of us who are sick are midwesterners but geeze. 

OMOM, My whole first pregnancy I wore men's pants sized up one size, low rise are nicer if you can find them but I just rolled down the waistband if they were sagging too low (but that how I wore my pants before I got pregnant, too). I may have even sported suspenders at one point.  Overalls are amusingly un-feminine, but I would need jumbo to get them to close on the sides at this point. But now my maternity pants are all jeans and cargo pants so they don't offend me too much. Except that they won't stay up for anything. 

Library, we are aiming for the week between Christmas and New Year. I'm hoping to start working again on new years day and it's a 2 day drive home so closer to the middle of that week would probably be better if y'all are going to be around.  Otherwise I'm not a great planner so if you make a plan that's hard and fast, well Sara will be the one to make it happen on our end. Is there anything around halfway? The map didn't look very promising. 

My brother's wife is in labor, I hear.  Her due date is Sunday. Hopefully I will get word in the morning that their son was born. Escher, haha, you are very special but I certainly don't get the pets I hear other pregnant women complain about. I figure I look like a pit bull or something. I'm glad you figured something out for the first couple of months of diapering. 

Isa, we have been calling both babies by name for a while. But there's also a lot of my baby/your baby thrown in. I figured if we used names or initials on here it would confuse new people but it's probably not that big of a deal. Here's my question, if so many of us are sick RIGHT NOW, how amazingly fast do colds spread?  Most of us who are sick are midwesterners but geeze. 

OMOM, My whole first pregnancy I wore men's pants sized up one size, low rise are nicer if you can find them but I just rolled down the waistband if they were sagging too low (but that how I wore my pants before I got pregnant, too). I may have even sported suspenders at one point.  Overalls are amusingly un-feminine, but I would need jumbo to get them to close on the sides at this point. But now my maternity pants are all jeans and cargo pants so they don't offend me too much. Except that they won't stay up for anything. 

Library, we are aiming for the week between Christmas and New Year. I'm hoping to start working again on new years day and it's a 2 day drive home so closer to the middle of that week would probably be better if y'all are going to be around.  Otherwise I'm not a great planner so if you make a plan that's hard and fast, well Sara will be the one to make it happen on our end. Is there anything around halfway? The map didn't look very promising. 

My brother's wife is in labor, I hear.  Her due date is Sunday. Hopefully I will get word in the morning that their son was born. 

#77 of 758 Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM

QOTD-My partner is cranky and hormonal most of the time. She wants to take a week or 2 off but I told her if I end up needing a C section or am having a hard time healing she has to take at least a month off. She doesn't want to get used to not working because her job is so physical (she builds pallets for Pepsi).

QOTD2-I have no good ideas! maybe just wear a bigger size boy pants and get a belly band thing?

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

#78 of 758 Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Only have a moment but wanted to say Alice is six months old today! I can't believe it!!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

#79 of 758 Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Happy half-birthday, Alice!!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#80 of 758 Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Happy half birthday Alice. And happy belated half birthday Silas.

My brother's baby is celebrating his birth today, too. I got to see a picture of a sleepy mama and a sleep blue handed baby.

#81 of 758 Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Good morning everyone

Starling, how is it going up there? Has your milk come in? Is big sis getting used to him? Is he already in love with her?

Julie, how are you doing?

Last night I had the weirdest dream. I had the baby and Sara popped her into the wrap and we went yard saling. The town was having a yard sale to make improvements land they had taken down the concrete wall on the edges of the bridge and replaced it with a chain link fence with barbed wire on top. Someone had scraped all the dirt out of the creek And it somehow had a concrete bottom. There were zoo animals walking around the town. We got in the car and a zebra stuck it's head in the car window and was trying to nurse. We drove off and went to a store. I put the baby in the sling and realized I hadn't nursed her yet. My milk was thick and white and she wouldn't latch on so I kept putting a drop on her lips and she would lick it off. I was doing this in the middle of the store. Eventually it was time to pay and I only had a $129 bill.

Weird dream. Work is funny. They are worried I'm going to have the baby at any moment. They are getting nervous about me doing turns and pushing lifts around and it's kind of hilarious. They are also swearing that I have dropped. I didn't say I would be able to breathe if I dropped.

#82 of 758 Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Hi Everyone!  I am tentatively popping my head in here.  I got a couple (ok six...) light lines over this weekend and today a digital said "pregnant" so I think we are on our way to #2! 

Our son is currently almost 17 months and will turn two in May 2012.  If all goes as planned this baby should come to meet us in June 2012 so they will be about two years and a month apart. 

I'm so so so excited.  We had a long-ish road conceiving Leo (our toddler) and were braced for a similar timeline for #2 - but we got lucky on our second try!  We are really happy and bursting to tell - but waiting to tell people until at least thanksgiving - maybe even until christmas. 

Looking forward to chatting!

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#83 of 758 Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

congrats, PF! FX for a happy and healthy 9ish months!!

#84 of 758 Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM

woo! congrats pf!

Starling, welcome to your cute little boy! Sorry this is SO late of a hello to him and a congrats to you!

I've been so tired lately. I've been reading along but don't have much to post. My parents are very excited and keep asking me how I and Sara are doing. 

I dunno what else to say. I'm still sick (after two days of a break from throwing up) today its back full force. I even left work early because I wanted to be sick at home, not there. Nothing tastes good and the only food I can really keep down are crackers. I've lost half of a pound since monday. I feel like I'm being a b*tch lately and hearing about Steve Jobs dying made me cry my eyes out. 

I'm looking forward to the baby getting here and my second trimester to start! 

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#85 of 758 Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Congratulations, PF!  I well remember your long journey to holding Leo in your arms.  How wonderful that it's come so much faster this time.

Many well wishes for a sticky baby and healthy pregnancy!

dust.gif

I meant to comment on my shock that baby Silas and baby Alice are already half a year old ... how the heck did that happen?  That just blows my mind.  Honestly.

I also meant to congratulate Crystal on getting her dp on board with a natural birth ... whoo hoo! 

Thanks for checking in on me, Seraf ... I'm doing great.  The post-partum hormones have levelled off, and I've come to terms with supplementing again.  I've been super blessed to have a local donor milk source as well as have a prescription for the milk bank, although the milk bank charges a dollar an ounce.  But I'm okay with that ... probably not far off of what a latté costs!  We spent a lot of money on donor milk last time, so I know to expect it.  I definitely have more milk this time, although still not enough.  I thank the universe for the Lact-aid system everyday.  It is such a life saver. 

My recovery from the c-section is taking way longer than I'd like it to.  It's painful!  I'm a very busy person, so this sitting around is rather difficult for me.  It's been great with regards to getting my milk up, and for babymooning, but I'm way ready to bust out of here and go to the park, but I can't walk more than half a block without being crippled by pain.  Youch.

As for baby (no name yet!  Getting close!) he is doing great.  He's a week old!  He still looks exactly like his big sister, who adores him immensely.  She's quite pleased that he brought more milk (I'm using her to empty the breast after he nurses ... screw pumping). 
She got very concerned when a friend came to visit and picked him up and was standing by the door.  She said, "Put him down!  He's our baby!  You can't take him!  He lives here with me and Mama and Baba!"  Very sweet to see her connection to him build.

He and I are sleeping on the couch right now because I can't get off our low family bed, and we have great nights ... he nurses (and gets topped up) around eleven, then wakes for bare nursing (no supp) a few times, but mostly just sleeps while he nurses.  I make more milk at night (did with E too), which is awesome.  So far, the transition to having him here has been fairly seamless.

My DP goes back to work tomorrow, which sucks.  It's been awesome to have her home and be here for E while I recoup.  My mom is coming tomorrow for a week, so that should be plenty for me to get back on my feet.

Much love to everyone else ... must go for now!  Baby is pooping something fierce.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#86 of 758 Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post

Hi Everyone!  I am tentatively popping my head in here.  I got a couple (ok six...) light lines over this weekend and today a digital said "pregnant" so I think we are on our way to #2! 

Our son is currently almost 17 months and will turn two in May 2012.  If all goes as planned this baby should come to meet us in June 2012 so they will be about two years and a month apart. 

I'm so so so excited.  We had a long-ish road conceiving Leo (our toddler) and were braced for a similar timeline for #2 - but we got lucky on our second try!  We are really happy and bursting to tell - but waiting to tell people until at least thanksgiving - maybe even until christmas. 

Looking forward to chatting!

Wow!!! I just saw this. Congrats! This is so exciting. :)

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#87 of 758 Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Good Monday morning to you all~ Again I have only a moment to say hello to everyone. I too am in shock that Alice is six months old (and Silas too!) All day I kept remembering "at this time six months ago this or that was happening."  And now she's sitting up and eating food and will be talking any day now...  Amazing.

PF~ Welcome!! I laughed at the number of pee sticks employed this weekend. I know the feeling!  Can't wait to share your journey x

Starling~ Your kiddos sound wonderful. That's hilarious about your daughter defending her brother from 'invaders'.  I'm sorry your recovery is harder than you'd hoped. Are you getting any reading/writing done since you're not able to be so on-the-go?

Hello and love to everyone else, I just have only a moment before my next class comes in. Alice is having a rough weekend. Very clingy and fussy (yeah yeah, she's like that all the time). She wouldn't nap unless I was holding her yesterday, and last night she wailed like she was haunted by demons. I hope she's ok. Sometimes I wonder if there's something upsetting her, but what could scare a tiny girl who spends all her time in my lap?  Anyway, I love her and can't believe I've already had her this long.

More later~ love to all xoxoxo

#88 of 758 Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

OMOM—I had totally worked out a business plan for a butch maternity store, but then got exhausted and realized that I don’t want to work that hard. At least not yet. If you do it, though, I did get Mrs PP’s wife to sign on as a backer! smile.gif

Library—This morning I woke up at about an hour earlier than I should and was trying to fall back asleep, but I kept having weird dozing nightmares about the nosefrieda—as a monster. That was chasing me. I don’t think it was the actual snot-sucker, but the name was stuck in my head…

Seraf—ooo…what’s Sara’s being called? Also, my mother in law down in southern florida is also sick, so I think this is national. Congrats on the new nephew!

Happy half-birthdays to Silas and Alice! That means I’ve got 6 months to go! I always liked my half birthday since I was in school then and could feel special. My summer birthday was great, but I couldn’t bring cupcakes, so I brought them in January instead. One of my friends had the same problem but solved it by bringing in cupcakes for Elvis’ birthday. She was kind of a strange kid.

Pleasantly Furious—Congratulations! How exciting to have it happen so soon on the second go-around! I’ll add you to the list!

Sara—sorry you’re feeling so crappy! I hope it leaves off some so you can enjoy at least a little of this glorious weather before it all goes to hell.

Starling—sorry to hear about the post-surgery pain, but it’s so sweet about your daughter being possessive of her new favorite person! Glad everything else is evening up and going well!

AFM—well, the ick continues. I lost my voice yesterday, but it didn’t stop me from dragging DP on a spending spree of epic proportions. We now have smartphones (finally we can stop calling my mother to make her google directions for us when we’re driving places), a leather recliner for DP, fabric to cover the fancy glider-recliner for me once we place the order, some new maternity clothes, and a crib. We got a used mini-crib that I think is going to be perfect—it’s small enough to actually fit in our second bedroom, and relatively attractive, although I am thinking about sewing some kind of sleeves to cover the two bars where the locking mechanism is, because those are a little unsightly. Now if only we could devote that much energy to cleaning our house…

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#89 of 758 Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM

PF, welcome and congratulations!

Starling, a dollar an ounce? Wow. Has he noticed her yet? I remember when A noticed her big bro and she would watch him and ignore the rest of us. Any time he was in view she was mesmerized.

Maybe I have dropped. There is a tiny hole in my top that isnormally on the front of my belly but now is a few inches above the bump. And now I'm sitting with my legs straddling a chair and I'm leaning forward with my elbows on the table and my belly is resting on the chair! I didn't drink enough water lately, yesterday my pulse was racing and I had acouple of episodes of BH every 10 minutes. I joked with mom that I briefly thought she would get 2 grandbabies in 2 days and she laughed but now she wants to make sure we have supplies in the house and she wants to read Emergence Childbirth.

Julie how are you feeling?

Escher still working?

AmandaHope, how is L doing?

Yellow, how are the boys?

Library, getting any sleep?

Wehrli, Silas doing anything new and exciting?

2Ez, you crazy busy again?

Mami, how arethe big kids doing with you being heavier and slower?

Isa, do we get to see abelly pic yet? Are you starting to show?

OMOM, how are thingsin your neck of the woods?

Sara, pat thebaby for me.

Who did I miss? It is just my memory, I appologise for missing and hi, how are you?

#90 of 758 Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Wehrli - Thanks!  Nice to see you here!

Smiling Sara - Thank you!  I'm sorry you aren't feeling great.  I hope that 2nd trimester rolls in quick for you. 

Starling - Hi!  Nice to see you also!  The protective big sister just melted me - I so am looking forward to siblingness. 

KSDoula - Thank you!  We are pretty excited.  After last month's opk fiasco I had to test a zillion times to be sure. 

Library - thanks!  Six months - it flies, doesn't it?  It's such an awesome age. 

prettyisa - thanks for adding me!  Smartphones are so worth the investment.  Have saved me a few dozen times - not to mention made the hours upon hours of nursing bearable. 

seraf - thank you!  Sounds like your body is getting ready for the big day :)

AFM - I'm feeling just enough nausea here and there to remind me something special is happening.  Other than that I feel the same.  I emailed a homebirth midwife that comes highly recommended and she got back to me right away and included my partner's name in proposed plans and generally seemed awesome - so as long as insurance cooperates, I think we found our person.  jb, Leo and I are going to Mexico at the end of this month (I'll be 6 weeks along) for two weeks.  I don't love the idea of flying in the first tri, but eh.  The trip has been booked for a while and I'm looking forward to celebrating Day of the Dead.  Here's hoping I'm not too queasy to enjoy many many many quesadillas. 

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page