Queer Conceptions: October 2011 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure what to do AF didnt show up yet, she is 3 days late this is pretty much ruining the plan to inseminate this cycle. I had menstrual severe cramping thursday, friday, and saturday than it just stopped! This is crazy AF is never late!greensad.gif

we welcomed our babyboy.gif on 11/18/12joy.gif

#122 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Good morning!

Krista - I was/am not on any meds. Perhaps it was just a fluke or a chemical - the rest of my period has been totally normal. Good luck with your insems this weekend!!! I have a good feeling...thumb.gif

KS - you already heard from me but CONGRATS again!!! What was it like to tell the IP's? What was their reaction? It must have been an amazing moment. Will they be coming to Kansas for any of your pre-natal appointments?

Carmen - I do hope you continue to check in - I really appreciate your support and insights and I am sure others do to. We will miss you! 

Lisedea - I am so hoping that this is not a big deal and that your next test will give you more answers. Hang in there! Thinking of you. hug2.gif

Vienna - WOOOOHOOOO!!! What a beautiful picture! broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

Rainbow - sounds like great timing!!! Fingers tightly crossed for you!

Jan - Hello and Welcome!!! Tell us about yourself smile.gif Good luck with your first insem - it's very exciting!!!

Sky - is this your first month trying? If so, your AF might be late due to stress/excitement/worry...here's hoping she shows soon and you can move forward with your plan!

csn & Desert - Any news?!?!?!?! Thinking of you both!!!

wave.gif to anyone I may have missed!

AFM - AF is gone and the tank is in transit! Should be here tomorrow after work. I am hoping that the second time is the charm and am actually really looking forward to 'doing it better'. More relaxed. We were both so freaked out last month by the newness of everything. I'm sure that by 5 or 6dpo I will be obsessing like crazy, but for now, I'm playing it cool winky.gif

Oh! Quick question - I have come down with my first cold of the season (booooo!) and was wondering if I should hold off on taking anything or if it doesn't matter since we haven't even insem'd yet. I just don't want to chance anything, ya know?

Kara (31) in luxlove.gif with DW Nicki (28) + dog2.gifOllie & Lola. TTC #1 - September, October, November 2011 & May 2012 - bfn

#123 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPP View Post
 Quick question - I have come down with my first cold of the season (booooo!) and was wondering if I should hold off on taking anything or if it doesn't matter since we haven't even insem'd yet. I just don't want to chance anything, ya know?

Quick answer, I'll have to do the rest of personals later. Our RE's office says no antihistamines after transfer (or in your case, insemination) because histamine is involved in implantation. Before insem... my guess is it would be fine. I don't know about any other cold meds though.

Me: 27, DW: 31, Mamas to G: 5-17-10 luxlove.gif

My sweet surro-babe was born on 6-27-12 coolshine.gif

#124 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Hello - brand new to this site and very glad to have found it. I was Googling ICI timing, because we are heading into our second cycle with "real live" sperm -- previously tried with a known donor for a while, only to find out the swim team wasn't swimming - at all. So now we're on frozen, identity release @ 18. Last month was the first try, no dice.

I've been reading the stuff that says frozen sperm lasts 12-24 hours. My GYN told me earlier is better. Just do it between days 8 and 15 after your period starts, she said! She was obviously not thinking about the fact that we're buying frozen, not just conjuring it up every night like some people.

So we're trying to pinpoint the right day. I'm still in my period, so we have a bit to go. Two months ago we picked up the sperm before my surge and ended up having to return it because I never ovulated within the window. I've read tons and tons of stuff about the timing (even scientific papers), but some things contradict other things, so I'm making myself a little crazy trying to figure out what to believe.

Thanks for listening.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#125 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 PM

MrsPP Yes it will our first insemination, you were absolutely right about the the stress/excitment/worry thing, as soon as I stopped worrying and focused on different things AF came.

Outdoorsy- Welcome.gifI wanted to give you the same warm welcome I received when I joined this site.dust.gif

AFU- AF came today full force and the most painful I have ever experienced, I mean I was doubled over and pretty much in tears. Why do you ladies think it was soo painful this cycle? Well we are happy to know we are back on track with the plans to insem. this cycle.

we welcomed our babyboy.gif on 11/18/12joy.gif

#126 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Thank you, Skyandtru.

#127 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM

I read a thread somewhere in which the poster said her partner looked at her cervix with a speculum and could see it was wide open at the time they inseminated. That sounds difficult to do. Anyone else done that? Is it worthwhile?

I know you're also supposed to be able to feel that the cervix  has moved, but I can barely reach mine. Not sure if this info would help anyway, because I'd still wait for the LH surge. Is it true that with a non-digital test, a light line means the surge is on its way? It would be nice to know a little early so I could call the cryobank and not get charged for same-day pickup.

#128 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Hello all,

We are currently in our tww on our 12th cycle. (3rd since switching to ICI with a known donor). We have two vials of IUI premium sperm from California Cryobank (Donor 11748) sitting at Fenway Health in Boston that we do not plan to use and would really not like to pay to store. Is there anyone out there interested in purchasing them very cheaply? We bought them for $645 each but I would really just be happy to see them used by someone, so price is very negotiable. Anyone interested?

Me 28, DW 32 partners.gif Married since 2008. Mom to 2 kitties and a dog. Expecting #1 July 2012.
#129 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi Outdoorsy :) Are you tracking your cycles with temping or cervical fluid? To feel your cervix...try squatting and sort of bear down....those are the instructions that allowed me to finally find my cervix! Some people have a fade in pattern with the 2 line opks. Most of the time I do. But I have had instances where it's been very negative and then positive the next day so I wouldn't count on that. EWCM is probably my best indicator that O is on the way in the next few days. Everyone is different though....if you've been tracking your cycles and signs for a few months you should be able to see a pattern of things that lead up to O.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#130 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks Carmen - I've been charting my ovulation with opks for a year (due to our earlier foray with the known donor, though we are now going with a bank), but I have never charted my temperature because I've read it can lead people to inseminate too late. I do check my mucus. I think I need to learn more about the timing of the mucus relative to when I'll ovulate. I wonder, if my mentrual cycles tend to be long, whether that means my body does other things slowly (like the lag time between a positive opk and ovulation).

#131 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Good luck on your 2ww, Go Vegan. I went through my first one last month, and it was very hard -- especially hard to concentrate on work. I am in Mass., but not interested in the vials - sorry.

#132 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM

Hey all.  Outdoorsy, welcome to Queer Parenting!  My DW monitors her own cervical position and mucus as well as temping and using OPKs to time our at-home inseminations.  We use a speculum to do the inseminations, and it isn't particularly difficult once you find your cervix.  Somehow it can get a little lost when you're first trying to find it!  I definitely notice when my wife's cervix is more open and softer, and the fertile eggwhite mucus is so much more obvious when you use a speculum, too.  I'd suggest giving it a shot, you can buy cheap plastic disposable speculums on the internet for cheap.  Good luck! 

MrsPP!  Good luck on your upcoming insemination.  The second time around is much more relaxed, at least it was at my house.  Thanks for asking after us.  Sadly, we got a BFN this morning (14 DPO).  We're expecting my wife to start her period tomorrow, though for some reason Fertility Friend just decided today that her period isn't going to show until Monday... thanks a heap, FF!  Lol.  I'd rather not have our questioning dragged out any longer than it has to be. 

Jan, welcome to Queer Parenting!

Krista, happy insemination weekend!  Good luck.  I'm sending SO many good thoughts your way, you aren't even going to know what to do with them all. 

Lise, I'm sorry everything is so uncertain right now.  I really hope you get more answers from your FS soon. 

Sorry if I missed anyone, it wasn't on purpose! 

Afu, like I mentioned to MrsPP, we got a BFN this morning.  We're sad and frustrated.  I know this is the whole gamble with at-home inseminations - we chose not to go through an RE, hoping DW's age and health would work in our favor, but now I'm stuck questioning.  Why didn't we decide to have testing done?  Oh right, we didn't want to spend the money.  And now here we are, three months worth of sperm and shipping down the drain, and NOW thinking we should get stuff checked out.  I feel like an idiot.  And then of course there's the distinct possibility that all the tests would come back normal and the RE is just going to tell us to keep trying.  Honestly, if it just is going to take more time and everything is working as it should, I'm fine with that.  But it's the unknown that's killing me.  Too much unknown in my life right now, I guess. 

Gotta decide what we want to do next.  Running out of time before we'll have to put off getting pregnant for another year. 

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#133 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Outdoorsy--First of all, welcome! As for your question about the speculums--we use them each cycle to view the cervix and find it very helpful. It does take practice though so if you decide to go that route, be patient! Taking deep breaths to relax often helps. smile.gif Check out this site: beautifulcervix.com to see what the cervix typically looks like at different times during the cycle. Also, temps are very good for finding out when you typically ovulate--it is definitely a helpful thing to track before you being to insem. For instance, I often get my first positive OPK on cycle day 14/15 and I ovulate day 15/16--so I know it is about 24-36 hours later (depending on what time of day I get my positive). Everyone is different and timing is EVERYTHING when using frozen sperm. You definitely shouldn't rely on temps for when to insem on your current cycle but it will help for future ones.

Welcome Sky!

MrsPP--Whoo hoo for tanks in transit! smile.gif As far as I know, taking meds before insem is totally fine. I try to stay away from ibprofen though...

I am still waiting for blood results... whistling.gif They say maybe next week. It's killing me. If we could afford IVF, I wouldn't be as terrified as I have been these past few days...uggg.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#134 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Desert--Sorry aboutt he BFN...greensad.gif Hey, it took me an entire year to get my blood work done! I keep thinking...if only I did test right away...I definitely wouldn't have wasted as much money as I have (assuming my blood work does come back as bad as they think...). I suggest: get the blood work done! smile.gif

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

#135 of 293 Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsy View Post

Thanks Carmen - I've been charting my ovulation with opks for a year (due to our earlier foray with the known donor, though we are now going with a bank), but I have never charted my temperature because I've read it can lead people to inseminate too late. I do check my mucus. I think I need to learn more about the timing of the mucus relative to when I'll ovulate. I wonder, if my mentrual cycles tend to be long, whether that means my body does other things slowly (like the lag time between a positive opk and ovulation).

Yeah, temping doesn't help with predicting O directly but it can tell you with the most certainty when you did O. That way you can see how long after ewcm you usually O or how soon after a positive opk you O, etc. Of course it can vary but I think a lot of people do see a pattern when looking at the big picture across a few cycles. Good luck!

Desert: Yeah, I would probably at least get basic blood work done. A regular doc (not an RE) should be able to check day 3 stuff....is that covered by insurance?

I'm supposed to be cleaning and planning and packing.....have done lots of planning but need to move on the cleaning and packing now!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#136 of 293 Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I am looking for timing advice.  The sperm is here ( 2 vials) and I planning at home IUI.  I have had difficult to interpret almost positive OPK's all day with 3 different brands.  Still have EWCM and no temp rise yet.  Was thinking early am tomorrow (like 6 am) and later tomorrow evening (like 10 pm).  The OPK's being almost positive and then looking positive after the timeframe is up is throwing me off,  Any ideas?

Me (34) Partner (30)  Parents to DS born at home (6/2010).  We are TTC #2.

#137 of 293 Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Lise, I totally understand putting off getting the bloodwork done, lol.  I want to assume everything is fine; when we were planning all this we said we wanted to go med-free and have everything as natural as is possible... with artificial insemination, haha.  But now I'm feeling ... less so.  We'll see.  We also don't live on an island, we live in a large city with an RE five minutes away!  

Carmen, I hope it'll be covered but I won't be surprised if we have to pay out of pocket for it.  DW's insurance doesn't cover anything regarding infertility, even the testing.  However, if we are able to get the doctor to bill insurance as bloodwork pertaining to irregular period (untrue) it could work.  We have to see if she can get in early in the week.  

Tilly, that sounds like a difficult decision.  Have you tried using the Clear Blue Easy digital OPKs?  With the smileys?  Nothing to interpret there, either a smiley or not.  Do you monitor your cervical position and os?  I'd say check your cervix in the morning and if the os is open and everything seems fertile, I'd definitely inseminate then and again about twelve hours later.  That's just my opinion.  Good luck!  Keep us posted how it goes.  

Afu, hanging in there.  We totally expected AF to show up today, but she hasn't dropped in yet.  What a jerk.  Tomorrow, surely.  

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#138 of 293 Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Tilly, I too had some trouble once interpreting the lines, so like Desert suggested above, I bought the digital Clearblue with the smileys. (side note: Walgreen's had a 20 pack for like $4 more than the 7 pack at Rite Aid) Is it possible your urine was a little diluted, causing a weak positive? Seems like checking your cervix and os would be ideal. You probably already know this, but I've read that with IUI, inseminating 24-48 hours after a positive opk is the most commonly used timeframe. Of course, the ideal for your body could be different based on the cervix,etc.

Desert, thanks for your comments about the speculum. I am going order some and give it a shot. Pretty funny since I hate those things! Funny/horrible story: When I was fresh out of college I decided I had to find an explicitly gay-friendly doctor, which wasn't easy where I lived. The only one was a gay man. He was a general practitioner but also offered to do a pap, so I said OK. So I'm in position, and he says, "Uh, the small speculum is in the autoclave. The only one I have is this one we use on women who've had children. BUT I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT." He tries, unsuccesfully and humiliatingly, to shove it in me. After that I realized: No one is less familiar with a woman's body than a gay man!!! Ha ha ha! Thankfully that was a long time ago.      Sorry to hear about the BFN.

lisedea, thanks for telling me about the cervix site! It's really cool, and now I feel like I'll know what to look for when I get the speculums. I also showed it to my wife, and it was great for her to see that since she'll be looking at me. I will be thinking about you and your coming blood test results. I hope you get good news.

#139 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 AM

outdoorsy, I have a bunch of medium plastic speculums that I'd be happy to give you one or two of! If you'd like, PM me your address and I'll stick one in the mail for you!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#140 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Sara, that's really kind of you, and I appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately I'm too paranoid to send my address to someone from an online forum. But you are awesome! Thank you. And I see in your sig that you're expecting very soon. Best wishes to you and your family!

#141 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 AM

hi gals and welcome to all the newcomers! i've been keeping up with everyone here, but i haven't written anything in awhile, because i had a really hard time last month with the clomid and estradiol i was taking.  it made me feel extremely depressed and hopeless, and DP had to deal with me weeping nearly non-stop for a few weeks.  i decided to take a month off the meds just to give my body and mind a chance to rest.  we inseminated early in the week so now i'm in the tww, and i'm feeling pretty laid back about the whole thing.  

i'm going to visit a friend in amsterdam in a few weeks, and while i'm there i'm going to try to see a dutch gynecologist or even an RE.  i figure that it's my only chance to see a doctor who will listen to my concerns and possibly prescribe a trigger.  i've hit a wall as far as trying to find a french gynecologist who will do anything beyond prescribing clomid.  my acupuncturist here in paris called several colleagues who are gyns but they all refused to take on a lesbian who is tcc as a patient.  my acupuncturist was completely shocked by their responses and he even said "if the doctor isn't putting the patient's life in danger, who cares what the laws say."  it's mindblowing that even most doctors don't know about the discrimination we face.  on a more positive note, the french senate just recently shifted to the left and there's a presidential election coming up.  with a socialist government in power, we should get full marriage rights and the right to adopt and have fertility treatments.... that could take a couple of years though, and at 39, i'm not sure i can wait.    in other good news, we have a potential third donor who (if his STD tests are clean) will be able to help us on weekends if needed.  this takes a lot of stress off us, because its means we don't have to rely on flakey donor anymore.  the funny thing is that the new donor is american.    

anyway... that's where i am.  i'm not expecting a BFP this month, so i'll probably be back on clomid (eep!) in a few weeks.  i'm sending baby dust and fertile thoughts to all of you gals out there in ttc-land!

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#142 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Nosreves!  It's so great to see you in here.  Wow, it sounds like you've had a very busy and emotional time away from posting.  The meds sound so frustrating.  As if the process isn't difficult enough, we need to take meds that make us even more emotional!  Insult to injury.  Your acupuncturist sounds great... I wish I could say the same for your doctors.  I'm glad you'll be getting a chance to visit someone more helpful in Amsterdam.  I hope you can get a trigger prescription from someone there.  And a new American donor!  Who knew.  I hope it all falls into place for you two.  Keep your chin to the sunshine.  

#143 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Hello all!

I'm back, after a couple month break (a month of which was in Maui!) and about to get on the TTC rollercoaster again. We've pretty much decided to let go of our KD and try with frozen sperm for a bit. I keep having to tell myself that even though we started this process 8 months ago, and emotionally it feels like we've been trying for a while, we haven't physically tried at all because of our KD's infertility.

Anyway! We're feeling stressed about the change in financial output this will mean. We are looking around on the free sperm donor site but may not be able to do that this cycle (I'm on day 2 now), unless we find someone local who magically has their STI screen and sperm counts done already. SO, we will probably just get sperm at our local bank this month (and do just 1 insem) and go from there.

It's nice to "see" you all again and hear how everyone is doing. Congrats to the BFPs!!!!!!! and good luck to everyone trying!

Me homebirth midwife (35) and DP (28) Mamas to the love of our lives, feisty toddler Lucie, and an aloof miniature poodle.
#144 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

desert -- you sure know how to make a gal feel welcome.  thanks for that...i was feeling a bit hesitant about posting.  i hope you and DP are and your two little rugrats are doing well, and I hope that DP's AF shows up soon!  btw...how's the painting for your bedroom going? 

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#145 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Nosreves, we must be checking the forum at the same time today, haha.  Mostly I'm having a horribly lazy day at home with the kids - right now DFD is balancing books on top of DFS's cranial banding helmet, to the enjoyment of both of them.  As well as mine, lol.  So I have plenty of opportunity to check back here!  Weekends, alas, are slow though.  I hope you don't ever hesitate to post your way back into the community!  As far as I'm concerned, you never left.  winky.gif 

DW's temperature went down this morning so we are expecting AF anytime now.  We are still attempting to get DFD to use the toilet instead of her pull-up and her bio-mom bought her a "Potty Watch" that reminds her to use the bathroom every 30, 60, or 90 minutes.  It's obnoxious but she's been using it all weekend without an accident yet... *fingers crossed*.  Frankly I just don't think she's ready to be potty trained but hey, nobody listens to me, I'm just the foster parent.  Oh well.  Also, thank you for asking about my giant painting!  Sadly, I've had several things I've committed to doing in the interim so the painting has been hanging on the wall, unfinished.  I *WILL* get it done, though.  Someday.  

MidwifeSteph, welcome back to you too!  I'm insanely jealous of your month in Maui.  It's a good thing we don't know each other IRL because I might be upset with you, haha.  My MIL travels frequently, she's a solar engineer and she's working on a project to build a solar telescope on Maui - when they move to the actual building phase she'll have an apartment on Maui and commute back and forth from Hawaii to Tucson!  Wow.  However... she can bet on being visited by us when she's in Maui!  Best of luck on your new journey, TTC with frozen instead of donor sperm.  That had to be a difficult decision, I'm so sorry your donor isn't going to work out.  

Afu, we decided to try for two more cycles doing at home inseminations.  DW is going to attempt to get an appointment to have bloodwork done this week, hopefully that'll happen for us.  Otherwise I guess we'll put it off until the following cycle.  If after the next two cycles she still isn't pregnant, we'll reevaluate.  Two more months is all the time we have left in this year to get pregnant, so after that we're looking at next spring.  We're seriously considering getting financing and doing IVF so we can swap eggs - which is one of the only ways here in Arizona for two moms to have some semblance of legal rights over the same child.  We'll see.  

#146 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM

nosreves--Nice to see you back! Good luck with it all and I am glad you decided to ditch the flaky donor...not the best thing to add to an already stressful situation!

Midwife--Maui, huh?? Sounds relaxing! I know what you mean about the financial aspect...for us (a teacher and a paramedic student), we definitely don't have unlimited funds...so we save until we have enough, then try. Credit card debt is not something I want to get into...but I know that a lot of people do that as well...and pay off as they can. Good luck! I am sure the relaxing vacation and two months off will be very good for your next try!

Desert--I wonder if that law would apply in MI as well! DW and I were dicussing trying that anyway if we have to go the IVF route...hmm...something definitely to think about and reseach!

I have begun to find out what an impatient person I can be. Waiting for these results is just awful. On a more positive note, my LH level (according to OPKs) is higher than it was at any point last month--not quite positive but shouldn't be until tomorrow or the day after. Hooray! I might be back to my normal cycle!

#147 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

JanandJesse: Welcome.gifto the boards I hope that your stay is short & sweet

MrsPP: Thank you so much! Our fingers are tightly crossed as well! I have my fingers crossed for you as well for this cycle! And for your question DP & I have both come down with a cold this week we don't like to take traditional cold meds so my acupuncturist recommended Yin Chiao (we got it from Super Supplements) and let me tell you it has def helped shorten our cold and the severity of the symptoms!

Sky: Sorry to hear about AF being so painful greensad.gif

Vegan: Welcome Back! Good luck on your 2ww

Desert: hug2.gif

Nosreves: Welcome Back! I am sorry to hear that you had such a difficult time on Clomid & Estraidiol. I am also so sorry to hear that you have having such a ridiculously hard time with the French healthcare system. Although I am hoping that you get that BFP this cycle so that you never have to deal with these injustices again!

Steph: Welcome back! I am so jealous of your month in Maui! I too remember the stress emotionally & financially of switching from fresh to frozen. 

Lise: I am so hoping that your cycle goes back to normal so that you can get back in the TTC game!

wave.gif to anyone that I missed and BabyDust to ALL! Also if anyone has any changes that need to be made please let me know in *BOLD* so that I can make those changes

AFM: Sorry I have been MIA DP & I have both been sick all week fever.gif so we have spent the past 4 days sprawled out on the couches in the livingroom napping and watching movies filling our bodies with Chinese herbs & tea. I am currently 7DPO and the 2WW hysteria has slowly but surely began to set in. I took a test this morning to see if the HcG shot is out of my system, but it is still there, so I will be waiting until next weekend to test again (14DPO). I think we are going to take the same approach as last month and not test at all, just kind of let temps be our guide. We'll see how well that works out ROTFLMAO.gif

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#148 of 293 Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Hi all I haven't checked in for a little over a week. Life has been nuts. It would be nice for other life areas to become less stressful while dealing fertilty stress. Unfortunately this is not how the cookie crumbles as everyone here probably knows- not only did I have work to hold my pee for 4 hrs to do opk this week , I also had alot to do at work. Argh!

Anyways in the ttc part of my life, this week was difficult and exciting. On the difficult side, I initiated a discussion with one of my best friends from hs about becoming my and dw's sperm donor. He is only the second person we've asked. We were turned by the first guy we asked (a good firiend of dw) and it felt so emotionally crushing that it was hard to think asking anyone again. It just came to me a couple weeks ago to ask my old friend who is gay and single and lives across the country from me. I knew logistics maybe hard but I thought I would just have a conversation. Maybe I didn't start off the request right because I broached the subject first in an email bc I had lost his number since I got a new cell. He did write me back and he seemed positive saying that he was coming back home in a few days got business and maybe he I and dw should get together to talk. Seemed promising enough until the day we were supposed to get together and he seemed to flake out on our talk by bringing his friend to dinner. It was ackward. Not much was talked about my request. Now I don't know I feel about the whole thing. Does anyone else have strange awkward pursuing-friends-to- be-known-donor stories?

Also. I am now 2 dpo and whats different this time is that I am using prometrium (progestrone) to possibly lengthen luteal phase. I have only taken this drug via suppositories for one day and I am already feeling crazy side effects that make me feel that af is about to come...sore breasts .slight cramps..strange hyper feeling too. Can anyone who has taken progestrone relate to this?

I don't have alot of time to respond to different postings. I will say though Congratulations to Vienna. What a wonderful photo! I am so happy for you. Also thank you desertsunsets for your msg and good luck to u and dp on your process. To everyone else wishing you all a great start to your week and of course lots of babydust.

Me (37) married my lovely DW (33) May 2010 stillheart.gif  ttc #1 since September 2010. 3 years of ttc has been tough. Currently struggling with some ovulatory issues (follies don't grow quickly - trouble releasing) At a cross roads: go strong on meds or begin to turn over babymaking to DW. This is very...
#149 of 293 Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsy View Post
I've been reading the stuff that says frozen sperm lasts 12-24 hours. My GYN told me earlier is better. Just do it between days 8 and 15 after your period starts, she said! She was obviously not thinking about the fact that we're buying frozen, not just conjuring it up every night like some people.

Outdoorsy: welcome! I read your journey with great interest because timing of insemination and the medical community is my biggest focus (and gripe!) As I like to say here in the Bay Area, the medical community is queer friendly, but not queer knowledgeable when it comes to the timing of insemination. What your GYN told you is based on A) access to a husband's sperm and B) an average cycle. Not every women ovulates on CD14. Do you know what day you ovulated? Have you worked on pinpointing that? I think you are very right in researching it and understanding it better. I won't go into my long journey story but I've taken up the cause of timing and lesbian conception with such passion that my known donor and I are actually currently working with the media on an news story about it. With frozen, your timing has to be so meticulous so you really need to use all the tools you can (including what your doctor can provide through ultrasound) to pinpoint it.

Tilly: are you saving the OPKs, marking them with day and time and lining them up to see the progression? That should help you to pinpoint when the surge truly is. And don't forget, it doesn't have to be exactly equal in darkness to the control line, you just need to note a progression where it gets to its highest level of darkness and then drops off. I assume you're testing twice per day, once around 10am and once no longer than 12 hours later?

Desert: arrrgggggh! I'm sorry. I stomp on that BFN for you and tear it apart. Yes, I vote for testing as well. I think this is the one distinct advantage (and perhaps only one!) that lesbians have over straight women. Because we sometimes need medical assistance getting pregnant, they are willing to deem us "infertile" right away (not so great) and it leads to testing (great!) I know you'd like to think all is well with your DP and you could go naturally, but medical science has come so far and sometimes there are little things that can interfere. Take me for instance, I didn't realize I had a slightly elevated sugar level. It wasn't until I went through that testing with my General Practitioner that they suggested I was borderline PCOS and should take Metformin. It takes about three months to work through the system. On the third month of taking it (almost to the day) I got pregnant. So who knows. Sometimes you need to just gather the information even if it doesn't pinpoint anything specific. Are her tubes clear? How is the shape of her uterus? Don't waste any time. Please.

AFM: put me back to braving the TWW! We are back in the game, kiddos. We did five inseminations over a three day period with our two donors. My ovulation is kind of hiding out this month but I went ahead and HCG triggered last night anyway just to make it happen. Of course, I'm convinced I'm not normal and ovulate more like 70 hours after a trigger shot but since fresh sperm can live up to three days, I'm praying! It is scary as this is our first cycle post miscarriage and post surgery. Yikes.

Hugs to everyone.

Krista

Sorry to anyone else I missed. There are so many great women on here with so many different stories!

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

#150 of 293 Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks you kgulbransen! Got lost there in all the threading! 

Here's the short version of our story:

DP and I met in college 5 years ago. DP is now in graduate school and I'm also trying to get my butt in the door. We are crazy about kids!! We have been wanting to start a family for 2 years but due to school and life in general--it never seemed like a good idea. Now that DP is well advanced in her program and we are financially stable, it's time! We have decided that DP will be the 1st to carry--but I will also carry once I'm along my program as well.

We wanted to use fresh sperm, but it didn't work out. We had major heart breaks, but now have decided to use frozen sperm. DP has been charting her BBT this past month and we have also been using a ferning monitor to detect ovulation. We have only recently started to check cervical mucus (in addition to BBT and ferning), but have found it a little difficult and overwhelming to detect ovulation. At one point the ferning monitor detected full fertility, however, CM did not match and BBT did not spike afterwards. Several days later CM was fertile and BBT spiked but then dropped the next day. DP's chart looks very erratic and so we're unsure how to clearly interpret it. We have our first OBGYN appt. Oct. 31st to discuss our options of insemination (IUI/ICI, both at home or in clinic). 

What methods have you ladies found most helpful to detect ovulation? How long do we chart for before we start inseminating? We have our donor picked out and wan to start as soon as we can. (we are so incredibly excited jumpers.gif) Any advice? 

Me (Latina 25)hola.gif DP (White 26)   blowkiss.gif. rainbow1284.gif Loving soul mates for 6 yrs. Mammas to two fur babies named Mackdog2.gif and Lucy dog2.gif  One babe in heaven, February 2012, at 8 weeks angel.gif. May Papa keep you safe our little love.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page