Queer Conceptions February 2012 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so guess who's going to belgium tomorrow for her first ever IUI? biggrinbounce.gif

all those vibes ya'll sent out really worked! blowkiss.gif

i'll be back after a much-needed nap to do personals.  happy friday, everyone!

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#62 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Good luck, nosreves, on your first IUI! I'll be thinking of you. I had my first-ever IUI in Jan, and it was easier than a pap smear. It will be a breeze! Have fun!

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#63 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM

invititn- did you just say the 'p' word? I think I heard you say the 'p' word... yes, I'm rather sure you did! 

Oooooh my fingers are so very crossed for you!!! Crazy clusters of ovulation mishaps make cute babies, I hear winky.gif

Sometimes I think we concentrate too much on making this happen. I mean, I know we have to, but I hear so many stories of people finally getting pregnant on the cycle when 'it wasn't supposed to work'. That month when you can't get away from work, or your thesis is due the same week or there's a fire at the clinic...

Sometimes I think the little eggies get shy with stage fright from everyone looking at them and hide out. Then, when everyone gets distracted with life and wanders off for a minute- pop!!

I know with my wife, her cycles were really predictable in all the months she charted and temped, then, when we were actually waiting for her to O for our first insem- BLAHM- re-invented the pattern completely. Since then no cycle has been like any cycle ever before. Excellent. Such fun every month, trying to interpret the random maze of signals her body takes us through.

I think we need to stop looking so directly, OPK's and syringes in hand, ready to pounce, and start casually glancing out of the corners of our eyes instead. Be really busy with this other thing just over here at the moment, not paying attention... and thennnn... POUNCE!!

Or like you said, invitn, 'insem somewhat on a whim'.  Whim's are great! Whim's are awesome!

Whim's are like light, floaty versions of instinct and gut feeling.

If this month doesn't work out for us I'm going to try the 'pounce on a whim' approach.

Also because it sounds like fun.

Maybe I could wear like a super hero costume, or dress up as a kitty or something... stealth!

Lisedea- I'll take your 'woo hoo' and raise it by a rambunctious 'Yay!'   thumb.gif

And remember what the Ancient Wise Ones taught us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No&feature=related

Use the Force!

nosreves- Youpi for your first IUI!!  Grand bisous!

When you get pregnant (as you very clearly will) have you considered the name 'Gaufre'? Sounds pretty, non?

Weez a leetel bit of sucre on top?

Prettier than Che Junior anyway.

I have my fingers crossed for you!!

No news here, except that my lovely wife seems to be over her weird neck/ear/head pain thing. Course she is. Now that we're not insemming any more...

She seems happy enough. We're both sleeping a LOT.

Like 10, sometimes 11 hours a night. Whazupwidat?

We got into this pattern over the past few weeks and it's kinda nice.

Though we do feel like two grannies looking at the clock at 8pm and muttering 'oooh, it's late, time for bed'... 

But as a life-long insomniac I'm enjoying this (perhaps brief) glut of sleepage.

And our bed is just so cozy...

found the love of my life 13 years ago, kissy.gif married 5 yrs ago, now TTC #1 stillheart.gif

#64 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM

YAY nosreves!!! good luck on your first IUI and tons of goodvibes.gif Can't wait to hear how it goes!

24-Single-TTC via IUI & DS beginning January 2012 

#65 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Nosreves: Good luck! I'm thinking of you!

Invitin: I hope it worked. Fx crossed for you doing your TWW.

Anna: You always make me laugh. I love that Star Wars clip.

AFM: As it turns out, bromocriptine is not a friend of mine. I woke up dizzy and basically passed out in the hallway. I'm still having issues with dizziness and nausea. I ended up calling into work today. The RE told me to stop taking it and is going to prescribe something else.

Mother to one dd .
#66 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM

rs- yikes!

Are you ok now? That does not sound good at all!  Hope you've got someone around in case you get dizzy and/or pass out again!

I'm glad I make you all chuckle with my silly posts.

The sun is shining here ALL WEEKEND LONG so I've got enough good vibes to go around!  joy.gif

I wish you all a very excellent day!

found the love of my life 13 years ago, kissy.gif married 5 yrs ago, now TTC #1 stillheart.gif

#67 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM

I'm much better, Anna, though I'm still slightly dizzy -especially when I stand up or move about too much. I *can* move about now, though, which is more than can be said for me this morning! My DW stayed home with me this morning, but I made her go in to work this afternoon. I slept away a good bit of the day. 

It seems like the primary problem this past month was egg quality. That tends to be a problem with PCOS patients. I didn't "O" until day 21, and this was my first cycle in a while. You need to "O" before day 20 to have the best quality eggs. In addition, I only produced the two follicles; my research revealed the best chances for pregnancy occur with a minimum of 3 follicles, and 4 is ideal. Hence the reason my RE doubled the dose of tamoxifen (which is hopefully not the reason I'm dizzy, but I don't think it is; sore boobs were the only side effect I had last month, and that was late during the round). If we don't catch this round, he wants to do a dye test to check my tubes and possibly move me to injectables. I go back in the 13th -here's hoping for a Valentine's Day insem!

Nosreves: I forgot to ask; how many follies did you have? Did you get to have any say in your donor after all?

Mother to one dd .
#68 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Anna- She made up her own song to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She is the creative and musical one so it was pretty cute to hear the words that she made up as she went. I was doing some good ol' fashion Dory. Thanks for sharing the link to that. It made DW and I smile. Also the link to the Kat Kam. What a view!!! So Beautiful. We are doing IUIs at home with frozen sperm. Glad to hear your DWs temps finally went up and with insemming 4 nights in a row hopefully the Universe will respond and give you your LO this month.

Rs- Sorry I can't seem to remember this... Can you remind me why you only have 3 chances left? I'm also sorry to hear the bromocriptine wasn't nice to you.

Mrs²- I have been wanting to find a good place for acupuncture. Are you by any chance in the Portland Metro area?  It sound like you really love yours and I could use a recommendation since I dint even know where to go about starting to try and find one. ( I hope you don't mind me asking!)

Invitin- I really hope its number 3!!!!!!!! Good Luck.

Nosreves- Yay for IUIs in Belgium!!!

AFM- Doing good here. Temp went up this morning so I am 1 DPO. I already can't think about anything else. It probably doesn't help that DW is asking me about every 10 minutes if I'm pregnant! smile.gif This is gonna be a long two weeks!

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#69 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Nosreves~ Thanks for the shiny new thread, and congrats on your first IUI! I hope that everthing goes smoothly.

Wow...there has been a total explosion around here...that's great and lots of graduations...that's even better!!! So much to catch up on...but I will be back.

Could I be moved to waiting for AF?

Thanks,

Gelly

Lela (39) & Irene (54) TCC  #1 stillheart.gif ! Mom to furbabies Bruzier (Chorkie), Diesel (Min-Pin), and Giovanni (Chihuahua).dog2.gif

Multiple ICI's, and IUI's...2009-2011....BFN's

1st IVF August 2011....BFN

1st FET March 2012....BFN

2nd IVF July/August 2012....

#70 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Hopeful--Portland has a large handful of community acupuncture clinics that are very affordable (generally, sliding scales of $15-35, pay what you can afford).  You can check out www.pococoop.com and click on Locate a Clinic in the far right corner to find clinics in your area.  This is true for anyone, actually, not just Portlanders.  I love Working Class Acupuncture (3 locations) but there are several others so you can probably find one near you.  

AFM--I had mentioned in previous posts that I actually did ovulate at some point last week (probably Wednesday but maybe Tuesday).  What I didn't mention is that we did a "practice" insemination on Monday night when we were visiting our donor.  We had planned the trip to reconnect and were hoping to get the timing right but were planning to ship if we missed the window.  When it seemed clear that I wasn't near ovulation (based on cm and no positive OPK), we decided to do a practice run before we left town since we had not ever done a fresh insemination before (only doc-assisted iuis).  We laughed our way through it and were glad to have tried it out before what we thought would be the real thing a few days later at home because we clearly needed the practice.  By the time we were done, I was sure we'd lost most of the swimmers in the process.

But as you know, I did ovulate.  And I'm now feeling all kinds of things that could be early signs of pregnancy. I waffle between thinking I'm pregnant and feeling like I'm just creating phantom symptoms for myself.  All of this to say--I'm in the TWW (halfway through actually).  So, nosreves, could you move me to Waiting to Know?  Thanks.

Me (39), DP (45).  Together since 04, married in June 07.
TTC 10/10 to spring 2012.  Fall 2012--moving on to foster-adopt.

#71 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

hey gals. just stopping in to say that i will make all the changes when i get home this evening. apparently,i can'tdo it from my phone. it's just after 6am and we are on the road to the land of great beer and waffles. much love and gros bisous to all you lovely gals!

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#72 of 360 Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Hi All!

Hope your weeks have gone well! 

Carmen, so sorry for you and your family. :( 

Hopeful, I'm in Portland and see Lisa Tongel for acupuncture. She's fantastic and specializes in fertility and women's health. She's worked with the reproductive endocrinologists in town and done acupuncture for people during procedures. Sadly she's pretty expensive, so I don't go as often as I'd like. http://www.lisatongel.com/

Nos, excited for you to go to Belgium for IUIs. How cool! Oh and also, please move me to waiting to know. 

As for us, I'm pretty sure this cycle is a wash, though I'm oddly calm about it. I think it's because I feel pretty clear that the way we're doing this is not going to work. Im seeing my Naturopath on Monday, and hoping to get some guidance on next steps. We've decided to explore doing IUIs with our known donor's sperm, and waiting to see if the clinic will let us consider him a sexually intimate partner. It's a little bit of a tricky situation since (most of you know) I run a business that helps lesbians get pregnant, and therefore I work with that clinic a lot. I want to meet with them and see if we can agree that lesbians using KDs at home should not have to jump through the "directed donor" hoops, and should get credit for the fact that they've already been exposed to this person's sperm. I know it's an FDA thing though, and also pertains very personally to my own situation, so I think I'll have to wait on that meeting. 

Anyway, if we're going to spend all kinds of money on sperm prep, we've also finally decided to get a work-up for me too. I ran my own progesterone (what is it they say about health-care providers taking care of themselves...?) and it was low, so that's a start.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Me homebirth midwife (35) and DP (28) Mamas to the love of our lives, feisty toddler Lucie, and an aloof miniature poodle.
#73 of 360 Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Nosreves: Good luck today! I've got my fx for you!

Hopeful and Happycalm: I hope this is your cycle! May you have a BFP soon!

Gellybeangirl: Welcome! I hope your stay here is short.

Midwife: I hope your clinic will let you use the KD. Ours would not even consider it due to the FDA regulations. We don't have tens of thousands of dollars to spare, that sent us straight to the sperm bank. It's really stupid. After all, these are our bodies; we should be able to take the risk if we choose to do.

AFM: Hopeful, the reason we only have 3 tries left is primarily due to money. My insurance is picking up the tab for the monitoring (which came to almost $2k last month!) but we have to pay out of pocket for drugs, sperm, the IUI, and co-pays to see the RE. That all comes to about $1200 a month. My MIL is helping, but we only have limited funds. Also, our RE is the sort who will only do 4-6 IUIs before moving on, which I approve of; there are too many doctors who will let women continue to waste thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on something that has almost no chance of working. At some point, someone has to call it.

Mother to one dd .
#74 of 360 Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Carpenter ant, My first was frozen ICI at home (IUI vials, they were out of ICI vials on our favorite donor) on the 3rd try ( tho I got pregnant every well timed try).  Second was fresh at home 2nd try, first well timed try. Third was frozen IUI at home on the 4th try (I can't remember my FF info to tell you how many of my tries were well timed). DP got pregnant with number four at home with frozen IUI after a trigger shot and a couple of ultrasounds, fourth try.  If you don't get pregnant quickly and easily the ultrasounds and meds make it a lot easier to time and they were way cheaper than additional vials (we paid cash, ultrasounds were the medicaid rate, but DP once got US with insurance and the out of pocket cost was 10 times as much.  Kind of weird.)

ETA, my third kid was my second well timed cycle.

Nos, GOOD LUCK TODAY!!!

Rs, we didn't have tons of funds, we chose to insem every other cycle instead of every.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#75 of 360 Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

hi gals.  can ya'll check and make sure that i've got your names in the right places on the first page?  i think i got everyone moved, but it's been a 15-hour day and i'm not thinking too clearly at the moment.  i'm sorry to be lame and forgo the personals *yet again*, but my ovaries are hurting sooo much and DP and i are exhausted after such a long day.  everything about today was wonderful ....well, except for the ovulation (?) pain that i'm feeling right now and the cramps and slight bleeding when the doc did the IUI, but i'm assuming/hoping that's all normal.    personals will *absolutely* be posted tomorrow.  in the meantime, can i just tell you all how much you rock and how blessed i feel to have found you and this lovely little corner of cyberspace?  

flowersforyou.gif

#76 of 360 Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM

@Hopeful - I wish I were in Portland! But alas, no, we're not. Google "women's health, portland, acupuncture" and I bet you can find a lot of people/clinics that specialize in it. Portland is that kind of town! 

AFM.... still ( - ) on the pee sticks, but still feeling awfully weird. My breasts are at least 1.5 cup sizes bigger than they were a week ago. I've been going to bed by 8PM every day  when usually I'm a night owl. And everything is starting to smell so weird and bad. I almost threw away my pillow this morning (arbitrary, right?) because the smell made me feel sick. My DW is getting discouraged by the negative tests, but she also wanted to hold out until 13 DPO to test. I insisted on starting a lot earlier because I'm impatient and bossy. Also, the dollar tree tests I've been taking (Assured brand) don't claim to work until after your period is due, so I suspect they are not very sensitive. I just have to assume we're not out until AF comes. Until then, ow ow ow ow my boobs. Ow. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#77 of 360 Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Nos - my fingers are crossed so hard for your IUI! Congrats! 

Midwife Steph - That sounds like such a sticky position to be in, personally and professionally. I hope navigating it works out for you. 

RS  - hope you're feeling better soon. that dizziness sounds terrible. 

Invitin - things sound so good for you! yay! 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#78 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

okay i'm finally back for personals:

desert -- baby faces and onesie embroidery sound a lot more important at this point than the wall painting.  it sounds like you are staying very busy with creative pursuits... i'm envious, as i haven't been drawing nearly as much as i usually do.  i have this slightly ridiculous idea that i'm going to start submitting some of my drawings to threadless, but that would require me to finish all the digital retouching/coloring first.  maybe sometime soon...   i'm keeping up with you/your DP over on QP&P!

southernbelle -- thanks so much for the positive vibes!  how are you holding up waiting for your RE appointment tomorrow?  are you still taking tests every day?  given all those double lines so far, i'm sure you'll be getting good news.  let us know when you get the results tomorrow so that we can give you your broc1.gif parade!

hopeful -- congrats on the nailing the timing, and good on ya for trusting your own body.  i don't know if anyone's already addressed the temperature disparity, but imo the second temp was so much higher because it wasn't a true BBT.  you need at least 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep for that.  how are your temps looking now?  i think it's great that you're feeling so positive about this month.  may the first time the charm for youdust.gif

anna -- how are you today, ms. optimism?  your Che comparisons made me and my DP laugh out loud.  thanks to you we now think of ourselves as "fertilla guerillas"  the "gaufre" comment was also very funny (and silly...but i adore silly... silly walks, silly songs, silly posts...) and it gave me a really good idea during our trip yesterday (see below).  oh and did i mention that i am a *HUGE* Star Wars fan?  i actually saw "A New Hope" at a drive-in when it came out.  i was only five, but it made a big impression on me.  "the Empire Strikes Back" had an even more profound effect on my already unwieldy 8-year-old imagination.  if only my mother had saved my all my action figures and my darth vader head carrying case....   i'm happy to hear that your DP is no longer experiencing all that weird pain.  it would be pretty cool, though, if she started feeling crappy (exhausted and barfy with sore boobies) in another week or two.  i got my digits twisted up really tight for ya'll!

rs -- goodness, woman!  are you feeling better now?  i had never heard of bromocriptine until i saw your post, but the info i found on it seems to indicate that dizziness is a common side-effect.  why were you taking it and do you know what you're going to be switched to?  to answer your follicle question, i had one on the left that was 22mm and one on the right that was 19mm.  there were also a handful of other follies under 10mm on both sides.  i'd have preferred to have two big ones on the right side, since they think that my left fallopian tube is blocked, but i'll take what i can get!  as for the donor, we have no say whatsoever, but after all we've been through, i think we're past the point of caring.  DP was flabbergasted when i told her how much your treatments cost.  i was pretty surprised, too, but i'm also american, so i know how insane medical costs can be on that side of the pond.  yesterday i was thinking that it would probably be cheaper for you to just fly to belgium for the inseminations and also to buy the drugs (which are almost certainly cheaper even without insurance).  too bad that isn't really practical...  in any case, i'm crossing my fingers that you get a V-day baby this time and don't have to worry anymore about funding ttc!

Mrs² -- thanks soo much for your crossed-fingers both before and after my ultrasound. your snowday insemination adventure would make a fabulous conception story to tell your future LO.  and, wow, do those symptoms sound good!  you're at around dpo 12 or 13 now, no?  it definitely could be too early for the tests, and i think that's why a lot of us no longer test until AF is overdue.... it can be such a disappointment to see just the one line, so we just wait and hope the ugly witch stays away.  i'm glad you aren't letting the - test discourage you.   how are you doing symptoms-wise today and when's the next time you plan on testing?  goodvibes.gif for bfp in the next few days!

invitn -- ooo, it would be very cool if those high progesterone levels have nothing to do with #1 or #2 on your list.  i won't jinx things by saying anything more, but i'm definitely sending you "positive" vibes (in all senses of the word).  what DPO are you right now and when are you planning on testing?  fingers crossed!

outdoorsy -- thanks for the good wishes and encouragement!  the IUI was a little more painful for me than i expected, but i'm not complaining.  so when do i get to move you over to the TWW section???  

gellybean -- Welcome back, woman!  it's great to see your name here again (even though i'd prefer to see it over in the other room).  are you going to be doing another FET cycle this time around?  

happycalm -- i see you're enjoying the TWW(T) and all its little mindfraks as much as the rest of us.  how many days past O are you now and what kinds of symptoms are you experiencing?  here's hoping you get a bfp sometime in the next week!

midwifesteph -- welcome back!  i think it's incredibly annoying that they're so strict about letting people use KDs for iuis.  i understand that there are std concerns and all, but it's your frakking body!  if you feel safe using him, who the hell are they to say you can't?  if you do end up having to go through all the sperm prep, will you keep doing fresh inseminations until the frozen sperm is cleared for use? did you end up moving to frozen sperm back in the autumn?  i'm sorry that it hasn't worked for you yet, but now that you are starting to look into things, maybe you'll get the answers that will lead you to your LO.  is it ever hard for you to be so involved with getting other women pregnant?  i know DP and i both struggle with seeing so many of our colleagues and family members falling pregnant and having babies.  i can't imagine if it were part of my job.  what dpo are you, btw?  i know you think this cycle won't work, but i sincerely hope you're wrong.  babydust and good vibes coming your way!

seraf -- thanks for the good wishes!  :)

afm ...  the last few days have been a whirlwind of good news, excitement and travel.  i still can't believe that all my experimenting with dosages actually worked.  as i mentioned above, i had two follies on my scan friday (one on the supposed "good" side) and a triple stripe lining of about 8mm, the best i've ever had on a stimulated cycle.  i practically bounced off the exam table and out the door into the freezing cold to call the belgians with the results.  they gave me an appointment for the next day and told me to do the trigger shot ASAP.  luckily, i'd had the foresight to bring the trigger shot with me and to pick up some alcohol swabs at a pharmacy just before my appointment, because i had to go straight to work after that.  yesterday morning, we got up at 5am and started the first leg of our journey.  the north of france was wearing a bright, white mantel of snow, and we got to watch a gorgeous sunrise.  at the hospital in belgium, there were two other lesbian couples in the waiting room (including two french gals).  when we got in the doctor's office, i asked her if she could tell us whether the donor was belgian or danish and she said "we aren't allowed to tell you anything at all. he's danish, but we can't give you that information." (did i mention that we love the belgians?)  i also memorized the numbers of the lab and the sample that were on the vial of sperm just in case there's some way to find out eventually.  the iui itself was very quick, but i had some pretty strong cramps and bled a bit.  the doc seemed surprised by the cramps, but i think i remember reading about others who have experienced the same thing.  after that, DP and i took a short walking tour of the lovely little town.  much to my delight, it turns out that it's the vegetarian capital of europe, and we ended up having a delish vegan meal at one of the plethora of veg restaurants.  the weather was frigid, so we decided that we had no choice but to have hot, finger-warming waffles for dessert.  (thanks for the idea, anna thumb.gif).  after that, we made our way back to gay paris and were graced with a beautiful sunset on the way.  

it was all such a positive, hope-inducing experience.  i do wonder a bit about the timing, though.  the iui was at about 27 hrs. post trigger and it seems like most people wait until 36hours past.  i started having really bad mittelschmerz when we were driving home and it just got worse and worse until about 11pm.  i actually began to get scared that it might be OHSS, but the pain started going away when i went to bed, and today i've just had a bit of occassional soreness....so who knows when i ovulated.  i didn't have a temp rise this morning, but i've read that it can take a day or so for the body to register the progesterone.  i have to give myself another hcg booster shot next saturday...and we *may* be returning to belgium for DP's first IUI the very same day.  oh the excitement biggrinbounce.gif

greets and good wishes to everyone i may have missed in my personals!

#79 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Nos, we insemed Sara 25.5 hours post trigger, she only had one follie, too. And it worked. Are Y'all spending an arm and a leg to insem you both in a clinic?  

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#80 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

seraf -- thanks for chiming in with that! it gives me a more hope, as it would seem they do most of the inseminations around 24-30hours post trigger.   and actually, the IUIs are very reasonable (imo)... only 350euros per insemination (sperm included).  for the first insemination, we had to pay an additional 250euros for "sperm preparation", but it's a one-time-only fee.  on saturday the doc even said we don't have to pay it for DP when she goes in, because we paid it for me already, and it's per couple instead of per person.  i get the feeling they are being extra nice and giving us breaks because they feel bad about how we are treated here...  

#81 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM

So I've spent like 2 hours catching up on all the threads (and then I had to go and read QP&P because I didn't know what was happening with Carmen, utterly heartbreaking).  

I'm apologizing in advanced if I miss people on the personals!

Carmen: I'm so so so so so sorry this is happening.  My dear friend and TTC buddy went through the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago (embryo measured small, dipping beta, complete loss of all pregnancy symptoms) and it took her TWO WEEKS to start bleeding (which she did... at work.  How fun!).  So sad.  :(  May you find some semblance of peace in all of this.  xo

Nos: Congrats on your first IUI!!!!  :D  That's super exciting!  I did a little bum wiggle in my chair when I read about it!

Mrs&Mrs: Yes, you just have to hold out until after AF is due.  We've given up on testing before AF is due because it's WAY TOO STRESSFUL!!!  :)  Wanting to throw out your pillow is a good sign, no?  The cycle we were sure DW was pregnant, everything had a metallic taste (BFN, but RMT, ND and Chiro all said her energy felt totally different that month).

RS11: I hope you guys can get 'er done before the money runs out.  If we have to move to a clinic, we're going to have to take out a loan.  Or someone's gonna have to help us (and considering how desperately my parents want grand babies, I'm kinda hoping they'll offer!).

Stephanie: I don't know where you're based, but we ran into the same issue here (Vancouver, BC).  We will have to lie about our relationship if it comes down to it, I don't even think they'd be keen on a "sexual partner" part of it...  However, I work in a Neonatal ICU and we have loads of IVF babies, and I inevitably end up chatting with the parents, who repeatedly tell me that the clinics don't seem to give a damn about where everything comes from, as long as you don't open your mouth and say something that they have to make a stance about.  I hope you can find someone in the clinic who will tell you how to get around this ridiculous rule.  

Happycalm: ahhh, now you have to live up to your screen name, eh????  ;)

Hopeful: I sing to my wife's ovaries and sperm (when applicable) almost every day.  Maybe THAT's why we're not pregnant yet????  Her ovaries don't like my singing??  We also make up words about sperm to different tunes, I'm glad to know we're not alone in our musical TTC.

Anna: I hear you about the weather.  We got back on the 12th and stepped off the plane and I just wanted to crawl under a heater and not come out until the end of May.  It was even SUNNY the day after we got back.  All the snow had melted and it had warmed up, but we missed the dismal freezing temperatures and thus were incredibly sensitive to the -1/+2 temperatures and were EXTRA cold (meanwhile everyone else is commenting on how nicely it's warmed up... we're like "WTF? ARE YOU CRAZY, IT'S FREEZING").  Yesterday was lovely: too bad I was at work all day and missed all of it!  Poop!!!

AFM: So we've done 3 insems now.  Anna was mentioning that it seemed to work better if we just kinda averted our eyes while doing this instead of watching the clock like a vulture, and we kinda took it to the extreme: we're house hunting (first time for both of us)!  We'll be moving 45ish minutes away from where we are now, which brutally sucks, but Vancouver is an insanely expensive city to live in (for Anna and Carmen, we're moving from close to UBC to Port Moody/Coquitlam, right around the Evergreen line).  It's knocked our stress level up a bit (but not much), but it's also made us MUCH less hyper-vigilant about TTC, since we don't have the time to obsess over it anymore.  Maybe that it's also our 8th cycle??  I feel way less stressed over picking a CD to start insems (we've picked CD8), and then we go every other day until temperature rises.  There's WAY less head scratching and whining.  We don't do 2 days in a row (since KD has a lowish count).  

We ran into an issue with our KD this month, he booked a trip for this week (left this morning, back Wednesday) and DW is supposed to ovulate Tuesday.  There was much gritted teeth talking and attempting not to wring his neck (and he complained that he never had enough notice, but he made a deal with us to CHECK IN WITH US before he went away ANYWHERE, and since when do ovaries pass out a schedule anyways?).  DW is PISSED.  I'm frustrated.  I'm not very good at negotiating, but this is definitely pushing my buttons.  DW is upset with me because she doesn't feel I said enough, I'm upset with myself because I'm always trying to make everyone happy... KD is annoyed that we didn't "let him know early enough" (we e-mailed him from Mexico on CD1, but he had already booked this trip).  He's now trying to make it back on Tuesday.  

It's made me realize that I'm ready to switch to a clinic whenever DW is.  The home insem schedule is exhausting, because inevitably DW ovulates when I'm working (I do shift work, 12 hour days, 4 shifts in a row, 2 days and 2 nights), so I'm intensely sleep deprived at work (which, considering where I work, is NOT A GOOD THING).  We got KD a zip car membership so he can come to us now, so that makes things much easier for all parties involved (and he doesn't mind).  I was pretty anti-medicated cycles, but if we could time it so we can do this when I'm NOT WORKING, it would be fabulous.  We'll see what happens after this cycle, especially since it's a "not supposed to work" cycle.  

Anyways, enough mindless rambling.  We're going for a late Chinese New Years dinner with my FIL and friends, since we were away for the actual event.  Should be fun and full of yummy food!

Cheers!

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#82 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Anna: Hey there funny lady. Seriously the image of the non gestational parent to be dressed up in superhero gear before an home insem is hilarioussssss. Although I would love to see my own DW in tights and cape, it would be somewhat creepy if she wore a mask as she was assisting with the insems. Yep, No mask. Otherwise I would get "stage fright" or wouldn't be able to stop laughing the process. Any whoo, glad to hear that DW is feeling better. It's also nice that you and DW have found a new love for sleep. I have too in the past week since I ironically enough I have been wearing a sleep mask to block out all light. I read recently about old school research from the 70s that id'd that a woman can regulate her cycle if there were no light in the room where she is sleeping at night. Apparently the body/brain is better able to receive the signal that it's time for sleep if the room is completely dark.

RS: Girl, so sorry to hear about your symptoms that you have been having lately. It's hard enough to living and breathing fertility thoughts 24/7 w/o having to contend with yucky physical symptoms. I hope that the doc is able to give you something else that is going to less disruptive for you. Your info about egg quality being jeopardized after day 21. I think I read some contradicting information somewhere..but ofcourse I have no idea at the moment where I read this. I wander if egg quality is equally questioned if you ovulation too early in your cycle..

Anna, Nos, Mrs. and Mrs, Hopeful,Happy Calm, Stephanie: thumb.gifgoodvibes.gifdust.gifto my fellow two weeks of (what seems like endless) wait comrades. I've mentioned the following before. Here is something fun and whimsical to distract you from your constant second guessing of physical symptoms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9-sEbqDvU  and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta9K22D0o5Q. I've seen these two clips about 20 times and they never get old. Totally precious and silly. DW and I constantly quote the lines about marcel's "dog" Allen.

Mrs. and Mrs.: All your symptoms sound promising..fx crossed for you lady.

Nos: Yay, your first clinic IUI and it sounded that it went really well. I loved your description of your trip. It took me back to my days of being a hs exchange student in Caen Normandy. Oh the wonderful old world yet chic romantized mystique of european towns...how I miss thee. Anyway I digress back to you....sorry... your whole experience truly sounds promising particularly if you were having ovulation pains right away the same time. So you are doing a hcg booster 7 days after the insem? Is this to help with implantation?

Allison: So sorry to hear about your donor issues...hopeful he gets back from his trip in time. It sounds like you and DW have begun talking about a back up plan. DW and I discovered quickly when a tragic and unfortunate event happened to your KD last month that a back up plan is important. What are you guys thinking about doing..storing KD's goods so they can be ready when you are..or moving to another plan?

AFM:  So I have no idea how many days past ovulation I am...bc for the first time ever I have no idea when I ovulated. As I reported in my last post, I did learn that I ovulated, which is awesome. I'm guessing maybe I'm 8,9, or 10, 11 days past ovulation. Yesterday, I had a horrible day for pre-menstrual like symptoms: horrindous lower back pain and pain radiating down my inner thigh. That same pain is still around today but more tolerable. I went to modified ashtanga yoga class today and had a wonderful time stretching my lower back muscles. It really helped to calm the pain. Nausea is still a pretty constant companion right now too. So who knows what is going on ?I started looking up information on endometriosis and signs of endo issues around pain periods..lower back pain is supposedly a pretty sig sign of endo pain. The only facts I do know for sure are: i'm day 27 of my cycle (which doesn't mean anything necessarily), I'm on prometrium and I have had different symptoms than when I've been on prometrium before,  I usually go about 12 days past ovulation on prometrium.  Oh yes...I can't forget this little fact..this morning I pee'd on a stick and it was negative. And lastly, I have an RE appt on wednesday and hopefully she is ready for my flurry of what if questions.

Good nite all and I wish everyone a wonderful start to the week.

Me (37) married my lovely DW (33) May 2010 stillheart.gif  ttc #1 since September 2010. 3 years of ttc has been tough. Currently struggling with some ovulatory issues (follies don't grow quickly - trouble releasing) At a cross roads: go strong on meds or begin to turn over babymaking to DW. This is very...
#83 of 360 Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop in and say thanks again for the well wishes and support. I'm hanging around in limbo. I've had a busy weekend so not much time to think about it. Seems like life with a 2 year old in general doesn't allow for much time to think about stuff ;) I've mostly been soaking up the love with my DD and DP and trying to relax. I'm not sure if we'll try again. I'm leaning towards yes because I'm stubborn and not a quitter and DP and I feel so strongly about not having an only child. But, I can't ignore the feeling that maybe this just isn't meant to be. We'd still love to have another child so maybe that adoption application will lead us somewhere. I honestly don't know. I'm afraid that after 4 m/c that if one does stick that there might be serious chromosomal issues. That isn't grounded in any facts...just fear. Regardless, after this, I will wait out a cycle and then decide. So, if we do try again it won't be until March or April.

Good luck to all of you and I'll try and keep up.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#84 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM

happycalm- Thanks for the recommendations and the website for acupuncture. Good luck with the rest of your TWW!

midwifesteph- Good luck at your appt. today with your Naturopath. I hope you get the guidance you are looking for. Also thank you for the recommendation on Lisa Tongel. I will look into her.

rs- I really hope that you do not have to use all 3 of those tries you have left. My fingers are crossed for you.

nosreves- Thanks for your opinion on my temps. They have gone up since my suspected O day and continue rising every morning. They didn't have quite the jump they normally do above my coverline so I am not entirely sure what that is about but surprisingly I'm not worrying about it. I figure it was just probably time for a battery change in my thermometer. I am so happy that your IUI day went so well(besides the cramping). It sounds so beautiful. I hope this is exactly what you needed to get your BFP! Have your temps gone up yet?

Mrs²-any news yet??

Allison-I really hope things work out for you this cycle. Hopefully Anna's logic is right! That has to be frustrating about your KD. I'm sure its hard on everyone to come up with a good plan regarding timing of trips and what not but really after 8 cycles you would think he would have an idea of when his goods will be needed. Good Luck!

invitn- Thanks for the videos. They are so cute. I also love the dog. I bet you do have a million questions for the RE this cycle. How confusing t not even know when you ovulated even after the fact. Your symptoms sound good though so I'm hoping todays test was just too early for you.

Anna- How's the TWW going for you two, cycle buddy? How does your DP handle it now that it isn't new to her anymore?

Carmen- You are so incredibly strong.  I can't imagine what you are going through right now but here you are ready to move forward and keep trying. I hope you continue to have those moments of strength. My thoughts are with you and your family.

CarpenterAnt- any news yet?

AFM- I'm 4DPO which is hard to believe it's only been 4 days!! I thought for sure I was at least at 5 or 6 until I rechecked this morning. So I'm here, just waiting. whistling.gif

dust.gif 

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.

#85 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM

So I haven't posted in these forums since I was 17 and wanting to become a midwife (gave up on that for now - not in the cards for me at the moment.) I've been creeping around the ttc threads for the past month or so, since DP and I decided we would start TTC starting in May. Gives me some time for my divorce paperwork to finally go through (ex-h is dragging his feet) and some time for me to quit smoking. My DP and I have only been together for 6 and 1/2 months, but I was with my husband for three years and he never got past the point of children-in-theory would be nice. I'm only 21, but having kids has been the one and only constant thing on my life's to-do list. We have a great KD that's been a friend of DP's for 8+ years, both he and his wife are totally excited for us. Unfortunately most of my friends and family have not been supportive of the idea (my mother still tunes out any mention of DP's name, haven't told her yet). DP is super excited about the baby, we're hoping to be able to have three about two years apart in age.

Anyway, I just started charting today and figured it was time to stop creeping around these threads and start posting. It's been really encouraging to see everyone's journeys and sort of know what to expect come May. Best of luck and good vibes to you all!
#86 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM

I am continuing to keep you in my thoughts, Carmen! Take your time healing!

Welcome, sancta!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#87 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Still thinking of you, Carmen.

Welcome to sancta.

And BEST OF LUCK to everyone in the TWW!!!!! Early 2012 has been a great time for BFPs! Let's keep em coming!

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

stork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gifstork-girl.gif

AFM - CD7. Been a little depressed but trying to pick myself up today. Still coughing from my chest cold. Today I'm calling my sperm bank to order another vial and calling the clinic to see if I need to do anything differently this cycle.

#88 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Allison - is there a clinic you like? What are your DW's feelings about switching to a clinic? The TTC process + your schedule sounds very chaotic, and that would be really stressful for me. I know it doesn't bother other people so much but I'm sensitive to that kind of stuff.

invintn - how confusing to have no idea which day you're on! like the waiting itself isn't bad enough! 

welcome aboard, sancta!

outdoorsy - what kind of stuff do you think you might want to do differently this cycle?

As for me: CD 28, AF arrives. Sigh. It's such a Monday. I've already moved onto the next cycle in my mind, but I'm not going to lie. I ate some chocolate ice cream last night when I started spotting. 

can i be moved to Waiting to O please? 

#89 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Mrs- I am so sorry to hear that AF arrived. Darn. I really thought you were gonna be lucky this time.

Sancta- Welcome to Queer Conceptions. I think its wonderful that you are starting to focus on getting your body ready and getting to know your cycles wellin advanced. I charted for 5 months before our first try and I think it helped me know so much about my body and cycle. Good luck to you and your DP.

Lise- How is everything going for you?

Outdoorsy- Good luck this cycle. Sorry to hear you've been a little down lately. Let us know if there is anything you need. grouphug.gif

#90 of 360 Old 02-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Thank you, Hopeful. The well wishes are much appreciated.

mrsandmrs - As far as what we'll do differently this cycle, I think we'll insem the day after the surge instead of the same day. Also, I read a study that said despite caffeine issues, tea is positively associated with conceiving, so I think I may have some regular green tea instead of decaf all the time -- since they didn't test decaf. And I'm going to check with the clinic to see if there's anything else we can do to pinpoint ovulation. So far they have recommended we ttc unmedicated and rely on opks. (I was previously temping and checking CM and the cervix, but they told us it was not necessary for now, which was a great relief because I was never confident of exactly what I was observing.) But I don't want to go in there blindly assuming my body is ready, either. They've never mentioned anything like a follicle scan. The clinic is an hour and 10 minutes away, so frequent visits could get to be an issue. Thanks for asking. It was good to get some of that off my chest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page