looking for kids books with 2 moms or 2 dads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10 mth old LOVES books, so of course I started noticing that none of ours had 2 moms or 2 dads in them. I went looking for some and ended up getting 'The Family Book' by Todd Parr and 'King and King', I forget who that one is by. I liked 'The Family Book' and so did DD, not sure how I feel about 'King and King'.  Anyway, I would love to hear other peoples suggestions before I get more--it doesn't really seem like there is a lot out there, especially for baby/toddler age. I really want to find some where it isn't the main focus of the book but is more incidental seeming, but I haven't come across any so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM

theres's:

Mommy, Mama and Me
Daddy, Papa and Me
Heather Has Two Mommies
In Our Mothers' House
And Tango Makes Three
A Tale of Two Daddies

to name a few

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The Different Dragon is a good one too.

justrose13 likes this.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#4 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Mommy, Mama and Me is great (there is also Daddy, Papa and Me) but we also like Everywhere Babies--there are images of all sorts of families in there, and of nursing and of babywearing :)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#5 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM

ooooo.... we looooovveee Everywhere Babies over here! stillheart.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#6 of 20 Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

ooooo.... we looooovveee Everywhere Babies over here! stillheart.gif

Totally forgot about this one! We love it too.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#7 of 20 Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I had never heard of Everywhere Babies, I'm definitely going to get that one, cuz she loves books about babies. I think I'll check out Mama Mommy and Me, as well. I was kind of hesitant to get it because it's by the same woman who wrote Heather Has Two Mommies, which I'm not a fan of. I think it looks good though. It's annoying, there are so many LGBT books for YA, but hardly any for kids.

#8 of 20 Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Mommy, Mama and Me is great...and definitely meant for toddlers.  I have never liked Heather Has Two Mommies, because it never felt like it was written for children, rather, like it was written for adults who had no other choices for introducing books about same gendered moms.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#9 of 20 Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Emma and Meesha My Boy by Kaitlyn Taylor Considine.

We love this one because it doesn't really foucs on the two moms, the focus is on the kitty. My kids love it as well.

Mama, Mommy and Me is a great book and best for babies/toddlers...BTW the author of Heather Has Two Mommies is Alyson Wonderland, the author of Mama, Mommy and Me is Leslea Newman

The Mommy Book by Tood Parr is cute too, Different Dragon is good, but its more tailored for my 9 yr old and my little ones never sit through it.

123 A Family Counting Book and ABC A Family Alphabet boook by Bobbie Coombs are great books for the young ones.

#10 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Have you guys seen this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby

I've backed it, I'm SOOO excited to get it!!  :)

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#11 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Graham View Post

Have you guys seen this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby

I've backed it, I'm SOOO excited to get it!!  :)

I just did too, it looks great :) Thanks for the link

#12 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM

My nephews really like "and tango makes three"!
#13 of 20 Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Our children are older but they really liked Tango Makes Three when they were toddlers.

#14 of 20 Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM

We also liked Donovan's Big Day.

http://www.lesleakids.com/donovansbigday.html

Though I confess that I cried every time I read it...I'm just a huge softie when it comes to weddings.

Truth be told, I cried every time we read In Our Mothers' House, too.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#15 of 20 Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Monday is One Day is a simple picture book featuring families of lots of different make ups, including two dads, traditional, grandparents, adoptive, etc. The type of family is never discussed, merely depicted in the lovely illustrations.

Children's librarian, married to J since 5/12, with 3 cat.gifand 1 crazy dog2.gif. TTC #1, planning on femalesling.GIF, bfinfant.gif, and cd.gif.

#16 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM

I hope this is not a hijack of the thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for older children? My 9 yr old daugher is asking why none of the books she is reading is showing same sex couples in the parents in the books or in any of the characters. I don't want to ignore this, but am scratching my head as to what to suggest. I found "Between Mom and Jo" via amazon which had good reviews, but I was wondering if there were any books where the focus isn't on the gay couple, you know, where there is another plot line, it just so happens that the character or the parents of the character are gay? Thoughts? And so sorry if this is a hijack.
#17 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Barefoot Farmer--the website http://www.leewind.org/ has an incredibly comprehensive list of books (the left column).  You'd have to do some research to figure out which ones are age appropriate but you should be able to find a few things :)

#18 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM

"Between Mom and Jo" is excellent, but also very sad... and definitely a teen read. I'm hoping you get some good suggestions-- my son is almost eight and I'd love to find some for him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Farmer View Post

I hope this is not a hijack of the thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for older children? My 9 yr old daugher is asking why none of the books she is reading is showing same sex couples in the parents in the books or in any of the characters. I don't want to ignore this, but am scratching my head as to what to suggest. I found "Between Mom and Jo" via amazon which had good reviews, but I was wondering if there were any books where the focus isn't on the gay couple, you know, where there is another plot line, it just so happens that the character or the parents of the character are gay? Thoughts? And so sorry if this is a hijack.

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#19 of 20 Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM

Thought of one! The Skull of Truth, by Bruce Coville. The main character has an uncle who he is very close to who comes out during the story and has a same-sex partner.  Not the main point of the story, which is about a talking skull, protecting the environment and other such things. I found it a bit uncomfortable to read to my son (who has two moms) because the boy's reaction is initially to feel upset and embarassed... but it all works out nicely and is probably pretty realistic (um, except for the talking skull thing).

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#20 of 20 Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun is one for older kids, maybe like 12+. It is about a 14 year old boy who finds out his mom is gay and how he deals with it, so not really what you are looking for but it's a good book, I read it when I was 12 or so and really liked it. It's more of a coming of age book than anything.

edit: Weird, my text is green.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page