Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - April, May, June! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh hey, my blog, haha. Yeah, everyone finds something different that works best for them, but I say if it's working, don't try and fix it! No need to over think.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Library, poor rashy girl.  I hope she feels better soon.

KS, it is a very thorough post, so I linked it! I was just mentioning that it's not rocket science, since I follow a different formula.  How are you doing anyway?

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Morning all~

Lovely day today. I hope everyone has as beautiful a sunrise as I did this morning!  I must be feeling good, Ace slept through the night last night for the first time in a week, so I feel like I've been given a gift! I was so worn out yesterday that when DP emailed that she and her mom were going to take naps, I was so envious I wanted to telephone them every five minutes to keep it from happening.   To that end, I think Alice is on the upside of this hoof and mouth disease (the worst case our doctor had ever seen. Always the overachiever, my girl!)  The rash is all over her, but she's drooling less and eating a bit more, so I think it's clearing out of her throat. She's seeming a bit perkier and less lethargic too. She and I had a nice hour or so outside yesterday afternoon wandering around on the grass.  I'll be glad when it's all gone, though. She looks a bit gruesome!!

Hope everyone else is well!!!

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Library, hugs for you and your sweet li'l girl! she sure sounds like she's being a trooper though! and STTN?! how long does she sleep? i'm envious! but happy for you!! orngbiggrin.gif

KS, great overview of CDing!!

Isa, li'l E sounds so wonderful! i can't wait to meet her next month!!

Sara and Seraf, thems are some cute bebes!! is that a pic of both nursing on one of you? i can't quite tell, it's a bit dark. smile.gif thanks for sharing your birth story, Sara. you did a great job!!

OMOM, Sage sounds so sweet! good for you for trying to let go of "sleep anxieties"! i will try and remind you of this in 8 months, for sure! wink1.gif

Planet, good to see you! i'm glad that the scare is over and everything is ok!

Desert, things are moving right along!!! i'm loving the maternity pics (on FB)!! did you get a pic of that moon??

mtnlisa, welcome (back) to QPP!! i hope all is well... smile.gif

Nosreves, how goes it??

I meant to get to some more personals but the kid is getting cranky and i wanted to post a bit about some exciting news... i'm thinking about you all. wave.gif

AFU, OMGosh!!! DP told me last night that she wants to start planning to carry our second!! I don't know if any of you remember (probably not wink1.gif) but she has always maintained that she doesn't have an interest in carrying a child. While i'm supportive of that feeling and would be happy to carry any and all of our babies, i can't help but want her to experience it. plus, i want to meet a "little her", YKWIM?? Anyway, we talked a little last night and she's going to work on her tokophobia (fear of childbirth) because she says that's really the only thing stopping her and that it's a stupid reason (for her) to not carry a child. We talked about me continuing to nurse S as long as possible, to possibly keep me lactating for the next one and also about inducing lactation. She feels that she may not want to BF passed 6 months, if that. She'd be going back to work after 2-3 months. i'd (hopefully) continue to stay home. I'm soooo excited for the prospect of her carriying!!! She is going to start charting on Mothers' Day and we plan on starting TTC in Jan/Feb. I will start charting, too, as soon as my fertility returns, as a safely net. we agree that she would feel best if she were able to back out of the plan at any time. me being ready on the sidelines gives her and "out" without prohibiting us from TTC at the begining of the year. i was so excited last night i could hardly fall asleep, i don't even think i knew how much i wanted this... i cried and cried!! orngbiggrin.gif she asked me to be the fertility tracker and birth planner (she wants a hospital birth with drugs but i think i can be ok with that). so now i start reading! Seraf and Sara, your birth plans and such were quite different... can you both please talk to me about that?? thanks in advance! redface.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Wehrli~ How wonderful!!!!!!!  That's so exciting that you'll be adding to your family, and wonderful that your DP is wanting to carry. (In a related note, tokophobia's a totally cool word!)  I can understand her fears and her 'conditions', but agree that it shouldn't be a problem if you're both excited and ready to work together. So happy for you both and look forward to the progress.    Ace sleeping through the night is still a rarity, and I guess now that I think about it she did wake up at one point, but only briefly (DP, PhD has the magic bum-pat that gets her back to sleep most of the time). She slept last night from about 7 to I don't know when this morning because I left for work around 6:30, so at least 12 hours. WoohoO!  Though it is also indicative of how rarely she does this that I consider only a few brief wakings to be sleeping through the night...  Of course I can't blame her for not sleeping when she's been feeling so awful, but I  must admit a night's sleep was a treat.

I remembered some other fun family news.  DP and I are going this afternoon to buy fabric for our wedding dresses and are taking the fabric to the dressmaker and getting measured, etc. Very exciting!!  I'm still packing a few boxes every day and the garage is almost full. Our POD is being delivered on the 21st so we can start filling it with our crap.  Since the house we loved is no longer on the market, we've decided to rent for a while until I get a job and we can find a house we truly love. Still crazy overwhelmed with stress, but it is what it is...   We'll be boarding the ship in a little over a month. Lord a mercy...

Writer girl~notes2.gif~runner girl~jog.gif ~three cats~ cat.gif~ one dog~ dog2.gif~  and the wonderfully red-haired Alice Meredith, born April 8hearts.gif   

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM

library, ship??? are you going to England by boat?! and thank you for your excitement!! that's so wonderful that your DP can (and does) put A back to sleep in the night. my DP doesn't wake at all when S cries... and he'll take nothing less than boob from me. eyesroll.gif but now that I'm not in any hurry to wean, I'm going to just get over it! and bring him to bed whenever I deem "necessary"! DP has grown very fond of it, actually. she loves cuddling with us while she snoozes the alarm and we all wake together, at which point S smothers her with hugs and kisses and giggles. it's the best sight in the world to watch! do you bring A to bed anymore or has she graduated to full-time crib sleep? it seems like a good plan to rent first and buy when you find the right hoe for you, I imagine it would be much less stressful! and HOW EXCITING that you are getting your wedding attire made!! you MUST share pics as everything progresses! joy.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM

Library, I second that, Ship? Renting sounds like a great plan. When do you begin living in your new town?

Wehrli, Yay!
Our births were very different. Our pregnancies were as well. Different people have different needs and the goal was a healthy baby and a healthy mom. My homebirths were great for me because my anxiety lies elsewhere and I have a different pain tolerance. Sara felt like the pain was worth relieving. She thinks an epidural for the first week of breastfeeding would have been nice, too. I don't want to discourage your partner in any way, but Sara felt some pain even with the epidural. She had discomfort the first 4 cm and also during pushing, afterpains, healing her tears and with a challenging latch. Some people don't feel pushing, but they still have to work to get the baby out. Really, of Sara had wanted to be pregnant and then said she wanted a c-section I would have been ok with that because the pain is hers and nothing I can do can take that pain from her. I think that she found out that she is stronger than she thought when she pushed through the "pressure" of him coming out. And I still think I would avoid the hospital like the plague for myself (more now than before, lol). Anyway, I'm rambling. That was me nursing both babies.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Drowning in grading but coming up for air for a few personals...

Wehrli: SUPER EXCITING PLANS.  I am fascinated by the GP/NGP transitions and combinations and think that having both people in both roles within a family would be amazing.  joy.gif 

Seraf: I've been meaning to ask you about how you and Sara are sharing breastfeeding.  Are there any concerns about which baby gets which milk, in what order, etc.? I'm super interested in the details of how the four of you manage this, if you care to share. love.gif  I really enjoyed your observations about the birth.  I hope you are finally managing to feed yourself. I so felt for you not getting a moment to eat...you've certainly got a lot on your plate, so to speak.  Love the tandem babywearing pics.  What's up on the job front?

Sara: Good job birthing that baby! And thanks for sharing your story.

Mtnlisa: CONGRATS AND WELCOME! energy.gif  How are you feeling and doing?  Are you telling anyone IRL yet? 

Isa: Hi!  Can't wait to see you all on Saturday.  Do you have room in a freezer for some food?  How much?  We can do some cooking but were also thinking of bringing a few of our favorite healthier things from Costco...if you have room.  But feel free to object wink1.gif.  We're at Trader Joe's practically daily, too, so please do let me know if we can bring you anything from there.

Library: POOR Alice!  Really hope she has rounded the bend.  Do you remember Lyndzies?  Her daughter has HFandM as well.  Poor duck.  Glad you (and she) got some sleep last night, though.

Hi to everyone else!

AFU: I don't think I mentioned here that my close friend (whose husband we'd hoped would be our KD) is FINALLY pregnant!  She is 6 weeks along with an embryo from her husband and an egg donor.  She is over the moon.  They'd been trying (actively, with interventions) for nearly 3 years. It pains me that she lives so far away (SF).  She was at Z's birth 10 years ago....

Lilah is so happy to be crawling and is now getting into all sorts of trouble (cords, corners, dog food, you name it).  We are baby-proofing a little at a time but not fast enough.  She is so busy that nursing is really a challenge.  My goal for the next few months is simply to prevent her from self-weaning, which means offering the boob often when I'm at home and letting her nurse overnight as much as she needs to (which is tiring, obviously). She is biting me. Sometimes it is an accident (hard to nurse, clap, crawl, and babble at the same time), and other times she seems to do it to see what will happen.  I try not to react in an interesting way (gasping etc.) but can't help it sometimes.  I try to say "No Bite" firmly and deny her the boob for a minute (by putting her down or turning my back in bed); she doesn't seem especially bothered by that, though.  She bit Z the other day, too, on the arm.  Not too hard, thankfully.  This child is going to be a handful as a toddler (uh...really soon).  I don't tend to get nostalgic for the newborn days (esp. given how hard they were), but I'm starting to mourn the loss of the older baby days as she seems to be catapulting toward toddlerhood.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Hello again everyone! Just another quick post to say thank you for the welcome! I am happy to see some of my former TTC pals from 2010 are still around! My grading is done, but I still have an extra baby at my house who doesn't always nap at the same time as my baby so I'm pretty busy for one more week.  Finally started to feel sick on Sunday (yay!) And yes, it is a lot like DD's pregnancy as far as I can remember. DP remembers better and says so!  Baby one is up, more later!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Mtnlisa, congratulations and welcome!

AmandaHope, Shay desperately wants to crawl, I'll try to cherish these moments. Breastfeeding is interesting. When Sara started to get engorged we tried to get Shay to nurse with her. No dice. She is going to try when I'm not home. Her nipples are crazy sore, so we don't want Shay to try to nurse with her and then go all acrobat and cause an injury or something. I try to only nurse Soren when Sara is totally exhausted and sore. I give him the emptier side so he gets less foremilk and less milk overall from me since my milk isn't all fatty rich like newborn milk.

Work, they can't cover me, said if they hire someone they can't guarantee My hours because I'm PRN (this from my boss's boss's boss). Since they've been trying to hire someone for a year I'm not too worried. They asked me to come in and train some other nurses on how to use the fancy bed (I wrote these instructions fine before I took leave with Shay) and they are desperate for someone this weekend. I think I'm going to go in for two hours each day and do the heave lifting if I have to.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Seraf—thanks—I think I was overthinking it. One run through diaperswappers is enough to make me wonder how anyone can navigate all of the options out there. And thanks for reminding me of KS’ post, it was helpful to re-read it! I think we’re actually going to be fine with the thirstees duos system we’ve got set up, I just need to not freak out about it. Suggestions for avoiding diaper rash from all you mamas? She’s getting just a teeny bit and I feel like a jerk… On the babywearing front, we’re doing ok with the pouch thing I have, but it holds her a little too low and is hurting my shoulders some—I just can’t bear to drag her out in the stroller, since it’s huge and would need her carseat, too, and it just seems like putting this teeny baby in something that’s bigger than I am is overkill when I could just carry her. Ahope has graciously offered to let me try out some of her wraps this weekend so I can get a better idea of what’s out there—mostly I want to be able to tie her on to my chest higher up and more centrally so we’re both comfortable. How are your older kids digging their newest brother? I went to a storytime with a friend yesterday who has a son Shay’s age and I could not believe how big he is! Someone even came up and asked if we were a couple (since she saw us switch babies halfway through) and I realized that those are the exact sizes of baby that you and Sara have.

Speaking of Sara--how are you doing? How's the healing going? Are you up to leaving hte house yet, or still enjoying the babymoon? I've been thinking of you!

Library—ugh. Sorry to hear about the speckles! I guess no one gets through childhood without one spotty illness, eh? They can get rid of chicken pox all they want, but no one will be spared! Ooo..dresses! Do you have similar taste, or are they going to be completely different?

Wehrli—that’s SO EXCITING! And great that you’ve worked it out to be a backup in case she decides it isn’t for her after all—I will say that it definitely helped me to look around and see just how many women are mothers—and to realize that nearly all of them had gone through childbirth. It’s such a bizarrely ordinary miracle…

Ahope—oh, I never turn down food. smile.gif Also, DP and I keep ending up in Costco, staring at things and telling ourselves that we are not quite ready to need a membership yet, but I’d be happy to have more reasons on the ‘pro’ side, since I am easily seduced by value packs of anything…Also, we are really looking forward to seeing you all! I am just no good at being home and ‘resting’ when I could be yapping at someone, And now that the anxiety seems to mostly have worn off I’m really excited to see friends again!! Oh, and we’ll try to block off the worst baby offenders, but it’s kind of cord city over here, as we learned recently. –sigh-

AFM—things mostly still going well. We realized last night that although E didn’t like the swaddle for the last couple weeks, she’s recently started waking herself up with her hands, so back into burrito mode for her and all of us slept much better. She’s also getting excited about the little owl mirror that some friends gave us—it’s great to see her interacting with a toy! I seem to be doing better on the itching front (I can’t remember if I posted here about getting post-partum PUPPPS. Fun times!) and made it through the night with no Benadryl, so that’s good, too. Today we go on a great adventure to reinstate my health insurance, since apparently my work cancels it when you go on FMLA and won’t reinstate it until they have a hand-delivered money order for the premium. Yeah. I also need to avoid seeing anyone since that office is across the street from my work and I think three weeks is a little young to be heading into the world’s largest public library building—I know what goes on in there, and E is a bit too small to be exposed to any of it. Wish us luck!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Hey ladies~ Only a moment. I'm being sneaky at a workshop and shouldn't be posting, but I am.

Yes to our ship! And not just any ship~ The Queen Mary!  We set sail from New York on the 17th of June so if anyone is nearby and wants to wave hankies at us as we shove off, feel free! We've been stocking up on formal wear for the dinners, and I'm personally most excited by the  'Friends of Dorothy Cocktail Hour' every evening in the Martini Bar.  They have a nursery with UK certified Nursery Nurses who do evening care so that Ace will have something to do while I'm getting drunk with old fags and eating rich food. Yay!  It's a seven day crossing and we're really excited. It was actually cheaper than flying!! The tickets themselves were cheaper, and Alice travels free, so yay!!  Photos forthcoming for sure.

And yay for dresses! We have similar tastes, though we will not be matching. DPs is modeled after the wedding dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Funny Face, and mine is a Vintage Vogue pattern for a 1950s coctail dress, big skirt and all. Mine is a very pale green and DPs is an amethyst color. Alice's dress will be green with a purple sash. We're having heels for the ceremony and then Chuck Taylors for the evening drinks and dancing. And yes, photos of that too, though we only took the fabric to the seamstress yesterday.

Alice is better today (though she woke up in a terrible mood for no reason).  She's past the peak of the rash I think, though I'm sure it'll take a little while to clear up. And yes, she's moved to her crib full time mostly. She kind of did that herself, really. If I try and bring her to bed these days, she wants to play and chat with us and doesn't go to sleep, so there's that. I'm not weaning her, but I have learned that if I go to her in the middle of the night she'll want to nurse, but if I send DP (and yes, I have to wake her up and tell her to get in there) she can usually just pat her and tell her we love her and she'll doze back off. Yay! 

Ok, I'm getting dirty looks. Love to all and more later xoxo

Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Man, this recovery thing is hard! I think I've been over doing it. I've felt ready to go out a few times and even just the smallest things are kicking my bum. 

Soren is lovely! Such a sweet little guy! Its still hard to believe he is here!

Sara has been amazing! She's so sweet. Soren and I have really been struggling with our nursing and she's been nothing with supportive about it, trying different holds, helping me in the middle of the night. I couldn't ask for a better support system and partner!

I think the hardest thing for me is the hormone's. I'm not loving this hormone roller coaster and really not enjoying feeling so sad. I'm feeling sad that my 'being pregnant' is over. I know its probably not the last time I'll do it, but I'm sad the pregnancy is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled Soren is here, its just different. I spent nearly 9 months carrying him inside me and now he's out and its just odd. I'm also worried about PPD. Depression is something I've struggled with a lot since I was 15 and I'm afraid its going to happen again now. I don't wanna be depressed and am afraid to be. 

Sorry to be a debby-downer...

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingsara View Post

Man, this recovery thing is hard! I think I've been over doing it. I've felt ready to go out a few times and even just the smallest things are kicking my bum. 

Soren is lovely! Such a sweet little guy! Its still hard to believe he is here!

Sara has been amazing! She's so sweet. Soren and I have really been struggling with our nursing and she's been nothing with supportive about it, trying different holds, helping me in the middle of the night. I couldn't ask for a better support system and partner!

I think the hardest thing for me is the hormone's. I'm not loving this hormone roller coaster and really not enjoying feeling so sad. I'm feeling sad that my 'being pregnant' is over. I know its probably not the last time I'll do it, but I'm sad the pregnancy is over. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled Soren is here, its just different. I spent nearly 9 months carrying him inside me and now he's out and its just odd. I'm also worried about PPD. Depression is something I've struggled with a lot since I was 15 and I'm afraid its going to happen again now. I don't wanna be depressed and am afraid to be. 

Sorry to be a debby-downer...

I think you're allowed to be sad, especially when your hormones are going wild. I remember how strongly my hormones affected me during my last pregnancy and I recognize them again. It was even rougher after Grace was born. Thing is, I was so happy to have my baby, but I just wanted everything else to be perfect and go exactly my way so I didn't lose it! I just wanted to stare at her all day long with no interruptions.

Knowing that you have a history of depression and being able to recognize it is HUGE. Postpartum depression is highly treatable and if you catch it early on it really makes a difference. I understand the fear of getting to that place... but if you do, don't be afraid to seek help in the form of counseling, pharmaceuticals, or whatever is going to make a difference for you. Don't be too hard on yourself, those hormones are ROUGH!

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

hey Sara,

Recovery is tough! 

I had a good tear and was in bed for the first week - it was uncomfortable getting out of bed and moving about. Sitz baths were awesome awesome. Do you have one? You may want to get one - it is an easy way to soak and sooth your perinium. I def couldn't get down into a bath with my tear and loved the warm water. I used herbs and things, you can also use epson salts. feels amazing!

I only took small, short, sitting down trips out during the second week. didn't carry babe in a sling for a week and a half at least. didn't do much around the house for at least that long and after that only small bits. but after day 5 or so, every new day I was tonnes better. By 3 weeks was feeling pretty great. I'm at 7 weeks and normal! I actually sat on a birthing ball around 6 weeks. I remember laughing at the thought of ever doing that again! :) You will get there Sara, and fast. My midwife told me this and she was right. Each day much better after that first rough patch.

I was really worried about PPD. I REALLY missed pregnancy too. I missed birth also. I was down about those kind of things, and lonely, and had this feeling like it was all finished and that was really very sad. Sort of like the come down after the high of a big celebration.  I felt lonely. I had worries that were irrational - things that could happen to the baby. I also had terrifying dreams about my two girls.The first week those feelings were there, but also very overjoyed with babe. The second week was the hardest for me. My midwife said day 3 and 5 are usually the toughest. I found evenings the worse - when DW was putting down DD1 and I was alone.

By the third week I could really feel things getting better - the hormones were leveling out. Those moments got fewer and far between. I share only to say that baby blues can be really strong. I was feeling like it was more PPD, and was planning on seeking help in that third week. But I haven't needed to yet.

What helped me - getting out of the house for a little bit to hang with other new parents who were still babymooning :), not being along durign those hard times of the day, writing my birth story (the very detailed version for my babe), writing my pregnancy story for babe to read later, resting alot and not overduing it.... getting out to little programs with the kids where I could sit and watch my older daughter play and have fun, etc... in the end of the second week I could get into the bath and would bath with babe. That was really healing and great for me. (watch for pee or poop though as your cervix is open and you risk infection, etc).

Take it easy. Your body will feel better each day. It is alot to heal from. There is plenty going on inside as your uterus shrinks and organs move about. You have the wound from the placenta. Your tears. Your lungs and blood and all kinds of things changing. Your cervix closing takes a long time. Spoil yourself and rest. take it very easy :)

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM

hey saragal, i just wanted to pop in and give you a huge *hug*.  i haven't gotten to the post partum part, but i've been (unfortunately) well-acquainted with depression for over 25 years, so i know how scared you must be feeling about the possibility of falling back into the black abyss.  i hope it's just a case of baby blues and that it passes as you heal physically and as the hormones calm down, but if it doesn't, i hope you'll take ksdoula's advice and get treatment.  i know you're a great mom, and soren is very lucky to have you.  please take good care of yourself, and don't be afraid to ask for help.   thinking of you and sending lots of warmth from the other side of the pond hug2.gif

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Sara: Wonderful advice here.  I would have said much the same (though probably less eloquently).  I had the baby blues pretty bad with both girls. This time, at my 2 week visit, the midwife gave me the PPD assessment and I was close to borderline.  She called me every few days for another week to check in, and I'm glad she did.  I needed it.  I agree with Omom that the second week was the hardest. I missed nearly everything about being pregnant, and the let-down from the excitement of the birth was intense.  I was also  conflicted about the birth itself and deeply sad that Z hadn't been there (still am, though not so intensely, of course). I started feeling more like myself starting around 3 weeks and was definitely way better by 6 weeks.  The best thing for me was to take it SUPER easy (mostly in bed, quick walks/sitting outside to get some direct sunlight), to focus on my emotions through journaling, to spend tons of time just looking at the baby and being still with her, and to let others care for me (lots of nourishing food IN BED).  This is a profoundly vulnerable time, so please be gentle, patient, and compassionate with yourself. 

Library: Ok, that ship sounds incredible! Child care and everything! And cheaper than a plane ticket?!  Wow...  Can't wait to see pics of the dresses.

I'm in grading hell. Grades are due Monday at noon, so it will be over by then. Somehow.  I forgot my pump today and went 6 hours.  Thank God I don't leak.  I did say something about it to a colleague, though (she's a mom...but I don't think she breastfed), and she seemed a bit horrified.  Oops. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Library, my parents did that cruise last year, had a fabulous time!! Have a great trip!

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

here is a little pride cheer for everyone. these are my kids last night after we got home from a family pride event here.

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

Sister love - and check out Sage's fairy ear :) she only has one with that little extra notch.

IMG_0523.JPG

Smiles with sage

IMG_0538.JPG

I led a retreat last week and DD decided to get her journal and jumbo crayons and do some reflection too...

IMG_0657a.jpg

me and naked chubby infant snuggles. peed on shortly after, but it was worth it.

DD1 is currently: loving to practice writing letters. asking how to spell anything she encounters. potty training - asks us "mom, is there a potty at _____". I think she is a bit of a potty enthusiast - wants to check out all the various set ups and bathroom options. Today we are going swimming again for the first time PP. We did this a couple times a week late in pregnancy and I'm pumped to return to much more normal mothering with her (it was a long heal there - BTW how are you healing Isa???)

DD2 is currently: loving being naked, smiling, mimicking chewing already - but only while I'm eating coconut ice cream. smart baby. she is 7 weeks and 12.5 pounds. she smiles and shreaks with joy when her sister pummels her. good thing she likes the rough hugs!

KS - love your blog!

library - I'm glad ace is healing up there. and I'll be wavin my hankie from here for ya. Queen mary. awesome! our cousins travelled on it last year and loved it so much!

werhli - YIPPEE! so excited for you all!!! both roles are so fantastic. Enjoy charting! So excited!!!

seraf - love how you describe the dif in your pregnancies and births. DW was first with my first child, and I found myself wanting a certain birth but needing to let go of my personal perfect birth vision. Once she was in labour the letting go was VERY easy :) we started at home and when she wanted to transfer I would have run through brick walls to get her anything she requested. watching your love in labour. i found it humbling and so helpless feeling sometimes.

ahope - good luck with grading. and 6 hours without a pump! did that hurt? sorry!

mtnlisa - WELCOME! :)

isa - how are you? how is DP? any pics of E floatin around :)

nos - I don't think I've been on here to say how excited I am for you and DP. Twins!!! I've been watching and waiting with ya since I started over on QC. So many blessings to you all!

brite - thinking of you all - you are next right? when are you due? sending love to that little one. snuggle up!

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sara—well, I’m only a little ahead of you, so I don’t have much good advice, except that I definitely feel MUCH better here in week 3 than I did for the first two. I mostly got anxiety about other relationships (mom, stepmom, etc, etc), which is still there a little bit (sister coming this weekend always makes me a little nervous anyway), and then swings of hormones. Being taken care of helped a lot, even though it’s hard for me to ask people to do that. I also got a lot out of leaving the house WITHOUT the baby. Only to walk the dogs, usually, but 10 minutes knowing she was being taken care of but not my responsibility was much needed. Now I’m mostly feeling the tired, and get easily overwhelmed by logistics (downtown was fun, but very, very stimulating!), but my emotions feel much more even. Hopefully you’ll be on the other side of this all soon!

Library—super, super jealous.

Ahope—hopefully you’ll get through it soon, too! My dad was musing about just throwing the papers down the stairs and grading according to where they fell. When I was Z’s age he let me grade some quizzes, but I think that works better when there is only one correct answer and not in a writing assessment situation…

OMOM—Oh, I love the rainbows! And I just showed DP your little chunker to show what we’re about to get into (since our little girls look really similar) and she couldn’t believe that we’re only a month away from a smiling, chubby baby! Can’t wait! Healing here seems to be going pretty well—I can’t feel my stitches so I think they’re probably mended up and I feel a lot more like my pre-pregnant self (though I get tired way more easily). Wishing I’d been cleared for more exercise because I feel too big for most of my clothes, but the PUPPPs is going away (thank god) and things seem to be going well. I would do pictures, but since I am currently a naptime location there is no way to get the camera and the computer together. I’ll try to work on that!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Sara: Thank you so much for sharing your birth story!! Soren is such a little cutie! And don't worry about being a "debbie downer" I have a lot of concerns about my chances of developing PPD and what I can do to combat it, and if I do develop it how to not beat myself up. You have had a lot to deal with in this time period so feeling down is completely normal!

Seraf: Thank you so much for sharing your perspectives about Sara's birth and how they differ from your birth experiences. I am going to keep this info in the back of my mind when it's DP's turn to be the gestational parent. I hope that you have been able to start getting some sleep, food, and more bathroom breaks! That is cool that you are tandem nursing, that is our plan as well when the next baby arrives

Mtnlisa: Welcome.gif

Desert: Tell DP I feel her pain with the baby's big movements, I have gotten to the point in my pregnancy where the kicks and rolls are less cute and more ouch! If you are still in the hunt for maternity swimwear try Old Navy (in-store or on line) that is where I purchased mine and I have been pleased with it.

Planet: I am happy that your scare was just that, a scare. I don't have any experience with cysts but I hope you feel better soon!

Library: Hoping Ace is starting to feel better from Foot, Hand, and Mouth Disease! But way to be an overachiever Alice! YAY for fabric buying and dress fittings that is SUPER exciting!!! Oooh that is exciting that you will be on a ship to England! When we went on our Honeymoon we tried to find the "Friends of Dorothy" gathering but we could never seem to "catch them" let us know how your experience is!

Wehrli: It is so exciting that your DP is wanting to carry!! There are a lot of parallels between your DP and mine! When we 1st began talking about TTC she wanted no parts of carrying a baby and now she is getting more and more gung ho about despite all the griping and complaining I have done this pregnancy. We will see if she still wants to carry after being at the birth of our daughter LOL!

Ahope: That is great that your close friend is preggo!! Oh no at Lilah's "biting" phase I hope it passes soon especially in relation to breastfeeding! 

Isa: I hope your PUPPS is getting better I have heart that is awful to experience! I am happy that E is getting more interactive!

Omom: That you so much for being so transparent with us! I will keep all of this in mind in the weeks following the birth of our daughter. I am at a serious risk of PPD because of my past and I am trying to build an arsenal of tools and support to help me with those first 7 weeks. LOVING the pics of Sage she is getting so big! That is great that DD1 is a potty enthusiast! And yes I am next YIPPEE!! We are due late June, but will begin the natural "eviction" process at 38 weeks due to my gestational diabetes and my severe anxiety

wave.gifto anyone that I missed!

AFM: We are getting into the home stretch!! Our midwife told us last week at our appt that baby girl only needs to hang in there for 4 more weeks (I was 32 weeks at the time), but we would like for her to cook a little longer, so we have roughly between 4 weeks (from this upcoming week) and 6 weeks to go! We are starting to get really excited! I had a minor nesting moment last week and got all of DD's clothes washed and cloth diapers prepped so I am feeling pretty ready for her to cook and get here! I do feel a bit of anxiety approaching 36 weeks since that is when we lost our nephew but my Midwife has offered me NSTs if my anxiety level gets too high. Other than that it has been pretty quiet around here. Have any mamas here heard of Gentle Birth? It is a birth prep formula and I am interested in hearing mamas experiences with it.

Here is a pic of me on Cinco de Mayo with my Virgin Raspberry Margarita!

IMG956850.jpg

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Rainbow: Bee--yoo--tiful belly!  You look fantastic. 

Isa: Thank goodness the itching is subsiding.  Sheesh. 

Gotta run--here are a few recent babywearing pics for those of you not on facebook. 476722_10151012857963777_561648776_9772785_938863958_o.jpg

401732_10151004559298777_561648776_9753588_1760268047_n.jpg

The funky necklace is for teething...called Chewbeads.  Lilah munched on them during our walk.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Isa, it's easy to overthink.  AmandaHope won't steer you wrong.  I'm attaching a picture of my favorite way to sling the baby, It's 2 yards and a slip knot.  Did your friend's baby try to taste Edith?  Or use her face as a handle to help him stand?  That really completes the effect.

1336692065.jpg

Rainbow, nice belly!  Is there a number of weeks where you will feel less anxious?  I think I got more nervous with each week.

AmandaHope, Nice pictures.  How big is L now?

OMOM, wow! big Sage just gobbled up newborn Sage! They look so sweet together.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Ahope: Thank you!!! I love the babywearing pics!! I am going to have to look up those Chewbeads

Seraf: I don't think there will be a point when I won't be nervous, I am sure that I may be a wreck even after the birth I just get more and more nervous as the weeks pass by. It is a bit odd to be excited and terrified at the same time 

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Crashing to add an anecdote re: baby blues....I was SUPER emotional when my milk came in and cried a lot...I was so surprised at the hormone shifts that were happening. I wouldn't say it got to the point where I would call it depression though. It could have been for a couple of reasons....I'm not prone to depression normally and second, I ate my placenta! My doula dried it and prepared it and I encapsulated it myself and took 4-8 capsules a day for a really long time (apparently my placenta was huge)....something to think about if you can find someone to prepare it for you!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Hello to all!

Thank you for the recomendations of councelling. I know it would help but we dont have the money for it and dp doesnt have time. I know it would help me though because a lot of our arguments are over what is right and what we should do. Dp started looking up advice from Dr Phil, who is not my favorite but even that has helped us.

I had an HSG done on Thursday to see if my uterus is if fact bicornuate and it is (tubes are open) I am **** waiting for the final report though. My dr said I will be closely monitored whenever I get pregnant again. I guess thats all they can do! The HSG itself I was very nervous about! The only part that was painful was inserting the speculum though, it is SO much worse that before I gave birth. Is that normal? I am **** so tender down there its quite annoying. In other news Cohen is great! He learned to suck his lips in his mouth a few days ago, its cute and kind of funny looking. his eyes look like they are starting to turn brown and he is 5 months old today!

brite lookin good!

seraf & ahope you guys remind me of how much i wish cohen liked slings! :(

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Mather-20120511-00286.jpg

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a day early, but I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Mothers' Day!

Wehrli!  Congratulations!  I'm so excited to hear your DP is willing to give it a shot, and that you guys are going to start charting and preparing and stuff soon.  What's your ideal distance apart between two kids?  Hooray again!  I'm really happy for you both.

Seraf, I'm sorry to hear about your job stuff.  That is most certainly a bummer.  I love the video of Shay crawling towards Aragog on facebook!  Also, the sling picture put a question into my mind that is a bit off topic, but I was wondering if yours and Sara's lip rings ever get caught on each other.  I know Sara's is to one side and I see yours is centered.  Just curious!  LOL.  

Sara - I hope things are going a little easier on you today.  How are you feeling?  It sounds like everyone's got some wonderful support and advice for you, so I'm just sitting back and taking notes, haha.  I'm thinking of you and Soren!  How is little guy doing, anyway?  Breastfeeding any easier?

Brite, you're looking so fantastic and juicy delicious!  Plus, your virgin drink there looks very tasty.  I'm sorry each passing week only brings more anxiety - I hope you can find a way to make it through until your little one is safely arrived and in your arms.  By the way, have you chosen a name yet?  I apologize if you've already covered this topic, I can't remember.  

AHope, those baby-wearing photos are great!  Lilah is looking so beautiful and grown-up.  And that necklace sounds fantastic!  

Isa, hopefully you are less itchy every day!  Soon this will all be over and you can forget it ever happened, haha.  

Library - Poor Alice!  Oh dear.  I hope she's feeling better.  Wow, your dresses sound simply incredible.  Can't wait to see pictures!  The ship trip (haha) is certainly going to be quite the experience!  Maybe you'll be able to take a share photos from the Queen Mary as well?

As for us!  24 weeks today.  DW is developing some really intriguing networks of new bright veins along the sides of her belly - we noticed them for the first time in our most recent maternity photos.  I think she's mentally preparing herself to get stretch marks any day now because she spends some time every day searching her belly skin for the beginnings of them, but no stretch marks yet.  I'm hoping she won't get ANY! (yeah right) because then I'll get to keep taking cute pictures of her bare belly.  Which I love doing.  

Did I ever mention that the only other couple in our Bradley Class ended up quitting after the first session?  Can't remember if I told you guys that.  So yeah, it's just me and DW and our instructor, who is very sweet but also really REALLY focused on nutrition.  So much so that it has DW stressed out and having breakdowns about food.  She is already gluten free, so food can be difficult as it is and this is not helping.  DW says she's not doing the food journals anymore, they are counterproductive and I agree.  She got plenty of protein before, and she's hardly gained even five pounds from her prepregnancy weight so we're just not going to worry about it so much.

I did make it out to take pictures of the super moon, but I chose poorly and took photos from a mountain range that obscured the moon rising from behind the horizon line.  By the time I could view the moon, it was too high in the sky to look extra huge, only extra bright.  So I leave you with one photo I took, and several that my mom captured from the Superstition mountains southeast of Phoenix!  And some maternity shots from last week.  

DSC_2800.JPG

Just peeking over the edge... it was so bright, it was like taking pictures of the sun. 

Superstition moon.jpg

Mom's picture... this is my favorite one.  I find it breathtaking. 

superstition moon2.jpg

Another one of Mom's. 

cloudy.jpg

Mom's - with a few wisps of clouds.

detail.JPG

Mom's again - this one is just WOW.  I love the detail on the left and bottom edge of the moon where you can see the landscape.  

DSC_2826.JPG

DSC_2835.JPG

Okay.  So that's a quite photo-heavy load.  Happy Mothers' Day, again, and I leave you all the e-card below, from www.mamasday.org

2mamas coop.jpg

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Rainbow, we haven't had any problems and I'm still nervous about our little guy. I hope all your worry is for nothing.

Crystal, my kids never had a chance to know there was life outside the sling, LOL. My only advice for getting a baby to like the sling is to get totally ready, then pop him in and walk out the door. When they start associating the sling with going outside they get a bit more fond. Shay really prefers riding on my hip right now.

Desert, we don't get hooked. Isn't that what they used to say would happen if you kissed with braces? Someone once asked me if kissing with tongue rings was like sword fighting. Weird random note, I have never had a girlfriend who didn't have a lip ring. Those pics are awesome. We were in bed at 9pm. No moon for us.

Life is busy. I have to work some tomorrow, mom and Sara will be on kid duty. We are pretty tired over here. Shay is figuring out the forward movement thing. Not crawling yet, but moving. I think part of his cranky was missing the big kids. They came home and he is a pretty happy boy again. I hadn't though that h isn't used to seeing much of me when they're not home, so he may be confused/bored about me being home without them. Soren sleeps a lot, pees a lot and is generally cute. I've been trying to take all the kids out for a whole every day so Sara can nap. Not much else going on. Chicken in the oven and I want to make some shorties for the boys this evening. Soren is too small for all the clothes Shay wore.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM

So Feels funny to be the feature story of the local paper just for being us...Sheepish.gif

(Scared to read the comments, though, from our conservative neighbors).

I took the link down for privacy sake, but feel free to pm me if you'd like the link.

User Tag List