Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - April, May, June! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Brite ... Swimming helps too!  Got both my babies into a great position.  Even if H proceeded to get into a less than great position during labour.  But they started out beautifully placed!  Hope your MW appointment goes well today!

Sara:  Great photos!  Love the tie-dyed finery and the pole scaler!  Fun!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#482 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nak

life is such a rollercoaster  i hate rollercoasters. the past few days dp has been saying she wishes she didnt have to work so she could stay home with us ad have a bond with ds, and know him better like i do.

we are thinking about starting solids, he shows all the signs of being ready and will be 6 months on the 12th next month. is it really important to wait til 6 months exactly?

rainbow1284.gifCrystal (24) DP to Christina (27) together since 7/23/08rainbow1284.gif

Baby Cohen was born 7 weeks early on 12/12/11

#483 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Crystal, some will tell you it's important to wait. Shay started tasting foods at 4 months. I probably wouldn't go much than 4 months adjusted age.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#484 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Dandy: Thank you so much for those tips! I have been doing hands and knees after my moxibustion/acupuncture treatments so I am happy to know that is helpful, looks like it is time to start cleaning the floors (my Wife is going to be ecstatic LOL)

Sara: LOVE the pics especially "spider monkey" Osha and the boys very dapper onesies!!

Starling: I have been dreading swimming with my pubic symphis issues but I have really missed the pool so I think I will give swimming a try again. Thank you for the well wishes for today!

AFM: Today is the almighty decision midwife appt please keep your fingers crossed that baby girl is head down and hopefully she shows off and is engaged LOL! Will be back later on today or tomorrow to update you gals. I have a mandatory "scare session" with an OB tomorrow morning because my C-Section scar was not double sutured but I am not worried and I am prepared for whatever statistics they are going to try to throw at me I am going for my natural birth against all odds!

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#485 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

RainbowBrite - Jumping in to say that I recently heard an OB speak at a Midwifery conference and he said that a double layer suture is not a guarantee of safety over a single layer suture.  He said that if a double layer is not done well it's not necessarily better.  A single that's done that's done really well can be better than a double.  Good luck at your appointment!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#486 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM

Brite -- fingers crossed for a head down babe!

Swear Love the wedding pics!

Crystal, my sisters first baby started solids at 4 months because he was sitting up on his own, watching all of us eat and trying to get our food, and no longer tongue thrusting. My understanding is that when those things line up a baby might be ready to try some solids.

I'm feeling better as long as I eat all day long and include meat in my meals. With DD I couldn't stand to even have meat cooking in the house during the whole first tri. Also helps to take naps, so its great that DD likes them too!
#487 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM

*seraf sorry about the autocorrect
#488 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM

i'm having trouble keeping up... this boy of mine is on the go, go, go!! orngbiggrin.gif

just wanted to make sure and pop in to send AHope some love. love.gif i would say more but everyone has touched on my thoughts. you have something special in your relationship, i wish you all lots of peace as you make it through this adjustment period. ps. we had so much hardship in our relationship in DS first year, but since he started walking he is a new kid! he's still so mommy-centric with me but it's amazing how independant he's become!! all of this hard work you and she are doing will pay off, probably soon, and i bet she will find it easier and easier.

wave.gif to all

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#489 of 671 Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Drive by post from the hospital - DW fell this afternoon before our Centering class and upon learning that, the midwives sent us over here to be monitored, make sure the babe is okay. We have been here a couple hours and the baby is doing great, she has been very active and reassuring. DW is sore from the fall, and is really annoyed with the belly monitors. We have been witnessing first hand the inaccuracy of these monitors, as half the time Evie can escape it. Though I know that is because she doesn't take up the whole belly yet. DW will also be getting her RhoGam shot a tad early. I really hope we get to go home soon.

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#490 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 AM

Rainbow, I hope your appointment went well.

Lisa, yay for feeling better! I've been autocorrected worse, no worries. Autocorrect has a place in my heart, since it got me pregnant.

Wehrli, I'm glad to hear life is getting easier for y'all. Are you signing with S? I felt like that made the second year so much easier. Perhaps he is verbile enough that it's unnecessary.

Isa, I thought you were going to Italy. More locally you can take bigger sunshades. The sportbrella is pretty cool. We don't own one, but I saw one set up recently. We have been keeping Soren pretty well covered in wraps, slings and a hat. There is a picture on my blog today of Sara wearing him at the pool, I'll try to remember to post it here when I get access to a computer. We also go out inthe sun more in the morning and evening when it's less intense.

Life here is good. Soren smiled(while awake) for the first time yesterday. Shay is all about standing up and he is walking along the furniture. He is also learning to sit back down when he stands up. O is struggling with the heat, feeling sick and couldn't eat (at his Mama's). So we are trying to keep him cool, too. A just keeps on keeping on.

#491 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 AM

Desert, scary stuff, falling. I'm glad Evie is ok. Did y'all use an RH+ donor?

#492 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPerez View Post

nak

life is such a rollercoaster  i hate rollercoasters. the past few days dp has been saying she wishes she didnt have to work so she could stay home with us ad have a bond with ds, and know him better like i do.

we are thinking about starting solids, he shows all the signs of being ready and will be 6 months on the 12th next month. is it really important to wait til 6 months exactly?

We started solids around 7 months. DD seemed developmentally ready before then (pincer grasp, sitting up, etc.) but she wasn't really showing any interest - sure, she grabbed food on our plate but she was just as likely to grab anything that was in front of her and shove it in her mouth (food or not ;) ). I don't think exactly 6 months is a magic number. However, I would caution that for any baby who might be showing any signs of allergies (through the breastmilk) - it's better to wait as long as possible. Also, if you start and it doesn't go well (for whatever reason) there is nothing to say you can't just ramp up more breastmilk again. And if you want to keep your supply up it's best to nurse him right before you give him solids, not after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSunsets View Post

Drive by post from the hospital - DW fell this afternoon before our Centering class and upon learning that, the midwives sent us over here to be monitored, make sure the babe is okay. We have been here a couple hours and the baby is doing great, she has been very active and reassuring. DW is sore from the fall, and is really annoyed with the belly monitors. We have been witnessing first hand the inaccuracy of these monitors, as half the time Evie can escape it. Though I know that is because she doesn't take up the whole belly yet. DW will also be getting her RhoGam shot a tad early. I really hope we get to go home soon.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the fall but I'm glad everyone is ok!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#493 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 AM

QOTD: It was always mine and my wife's intention to talk openly right from the beginning about our LOs donor with our kids (who is not known). But my DD1 is 3, and I realized, we've never talked about it or mentioned the word donor at all. It hasn't come up naturally yet of course, but I thought I would somehow be talking about her donor more, and or making her more aware. what has been your experience with your kids around donors? have you done anything (read books, etc) with young kids about donors? how old were your los? etc...

desert - so glad that everything is alright!

library - how is life sans mean girl?

Hi everyone! :)

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#494 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemommyonemama View Post

QOTD: It was always mine and my wife's intention to talk openly right from the beginning about our LOs donor with our kids (who is not known). But my DD1 is 3, and I realized, we've never talked about it or mentioned the word donor at all. It hasn't come up naturally yet of course, but I thought I would somehow be talking about her donor more, and or making her more aware. what has been your experience with your kids around donors? have you done anything (read books, etc) with young kids about donors? how old were your los? etc...

I've been thinking alot about this too. Our situation is even more complicated in that my DD has a dad (my partner is trans, and goes by dad). We've talked a little bit about it as we're ttc-ing number 2, but just in very general terms- the doctor is putting some seeds in mama's belly to try and grow a baby. She has yet to ask where the seeds come from..:) I too always intended to normalize it by talking about it early and often, but it's just never come up. Others?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#495 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM

very interested in this donor convo lurk.gif

Seraf, we've been working on a few signs (all done, more, poop, diaper, eat, milk...) since around 6mo w/o much success. this wknd he really "got" waving hi and bu-bye, and all of a sudden he is signing 'more' and 'all done' with perfection. he is fairly verbal, too, he makes a noise that sounds like 'all done' while he does the sign. we still feel it's invaluable to teach him at least a few signs... plus it's just about the cutest thing ever! winky.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#496 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

Desert, I'm glad everything's okay!

Also interested in the donor conversation... we plan to be open too, but don't know how it will come up.  We supported Cory Silverberg's What Makes a Baby on Kickstarter and can't wait to have the book in our hands. I wonder if reading a book like this will help prompt the conversation at some stage? My nephew got interested in this stuff when he was about 5 or so... I think before that, they just take all family shapes and sizes for granted.

Did people use a book to learn signs? Any recommendations?  I know a few signs from nieces and nephews and friends' kids, but would love to have more in our vocabulary.

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#497 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 AM

Dandy- I am waiting for that book as well!

In terms of signs (hello, embarrassing confession), we rented a Blues Clues sign language video from the library and watched it. DD wasn't particularly interested, but DP and I learned a lot!

#498 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM

re: baby signs
we recieved a few videos, books and a set of flash cards at our baby showers but truth be told, we mostly YouTube them. redface.gif

#499 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post

Dandy- I am waiting for that book as well!

In terms of signs (hello, embarrassing confession), we rented a Blues Clues sign language video from the library and watched it. DD wasn't particularly interested, but DP and I learned a lot!

Haha! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

re: baby signs
we recieved a few videos, books and a set of flash cards at our baby showers but truth be told, we mostly YouTube them. redface.gif

Cool, thanks!

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

#500 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM

very highly recommend signing time DVDs dandy. we can get them at the guelph library, and have bought some. DD loved them, they are entertaining, and we like them too. we have books also, mostly learned our signings from the videos and now when DD asks what the sign is for something, I look it up online.

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#501 of 671 Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM

AngelaM- I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences!  My partner is trans, and has been very patiently waiting to start physically transitioning after the baby is born.  We figured it would just be too many hormones if he were to start taking T while I was pregnant!  We don't know when he'll start transitioning, but he's thinking that if all is well & it feels good at the time, to start when the babe is just a few months old, when he will be the one home with the little one while i am working again.  Were you already parents when your partner transitioned?
If you are open to sharing, I'd love to hear more about your family & what it was like for you when your partner was transitioning.  If it's too personal, I totally respect that too!

About the donor stuff, I am really interested in the conversation.  We are also awaiting our copy of What Makes a Baby; can't wait!!!  We plan to be open & honest about the whole process, but I can see how it wouldn't really come up with an infant/toddler.  What have others' experiences been like?

Brite, I am anxiously awaiting the report back from your appointment!  I still have a really good feeling about your birth.  Also, I really admire your determination to plan for & envision the birth you want to have, and I feel that in a way you are manifesting that experience for yourself & the babe.  Hope all is well!

AHope, I am glad that so many have offered thoughtful advice & encouragement for you.  I agree with all of it and wanted to send you some love!  Also, I have learned a lot from your post and the responses to it.  Hearing about your tough experience is helpful for me, as I have no idea what kinds of struggles await us.  Surely there will be plenty!  But hearing all these different perspectives is soothing in a way, as I know that hard realities and gorgeous bliss are so often closely linked in this crazy life.  So thank you for being willing to be honest about the hard stuff.  I feel that you and your partner are going to get through this, and it sounds like time will allow the situation to shift and change more than anything.  I am thinking of you, and wishing you & your fam much ease as you navigate this one!

Love to everyone else! xoxo

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#502 of 671 Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemommyonemama View Post

very highly recommend signing time DVDs dandy. we can get them at the guelph library, and have bought some. DD loved them, they are entertaining, and we like them too. we have books also, mostly learned our signings from the videos and now when DD asks what the sign is for something, I look it up online.

Thanks, OMOM! I'll have look for them at the libraries here.

#503 of 671 Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Planet, my DP identified as genderqueer/trans when we started dating, but didn't start physically transitioning until our DD was almost 2. I am happy to talk to you (or anyone else) about our experiences. I'll send you a PM with my email address.:)

#504 of 671 Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM

FTM here, who is also willing to discuss my/our experience if anyone is looking for that (though I transitioned long before we're even trying to conceive).  There's a pretty decent trans* parenting listserv that I'd recommend getting on if you're not already.  I've had a few questions answers through it, though it's fairly inactive (a few posts a month).

#505 of 671 Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Brite ?? Thinking about you and hoping all is well!

Re: signing, we were really into the idea and DD definitely understood the milk sign for nursing as well as please. She was a bit of a late talker but once she started she didn't stop and the signs were left in the dust. It was fun for us to know what she was saying with the signs too!

I'm still feeling gross off and on in the late day, getting hot and tired and tired of eating relentlessly. Thanks to seraf for mentioning peanut butter as an alt to meat based protein and I think ti cejae for mentioning milkshakes, mixing the two has been great, though I actually said today that I don't want to do this again, but I suspect I'll feel differently in about two years! This month is super busy with meetings and classes I teach at night but July is looking good already.
#506 of 671 Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Hi, everyone.  I just read the last five days' worth of posts. We are in Bloomington, IN, where I just wrapped up four full days of archival research at the Kinsey Institute while DP hung out with the girls and explored the area. Reading all of your responses to my last post actually brought me to tears. Truly, I've never known a group of people with such deep and sincere insight into parenting, partnership, and life in general.  If we did live on the same block, I'd never sleep or work.  I'd want to hang out and talk with you all day and night (preferably over wine, kale chips, chocolate, and other yummies ;-).  We've had a great week--quite restorative, actually.  I've appreciated being able to work for 8 straight hours a day without feeling guilty about it, and the research has been fantastic.  DP has been such a trooper with both girls. She's gotten in some great bonding time with them, especially Lilah, whom she has gotten down for crib naps twice/day and even worn in the sling (not usually DP's thing). We've been extra gentle and affectionate with one another, and I've shared with her how much I appreciate all of her work and sacrifices (especially this week, but more generally, as well) to support my career and my desires and needs for our family. I think that we both felt heard and that we both know that we are in this thing together, even when it is rough.  What's tough is how much harder it is--emotionally, physically, psychologically--for her than for me. 

Z is here now and wants me to use some emoticons.  energy.gifis for Lilah. It pretty much sums her up right now.  Only...she'd be nursing WHILE bouncing/crawling/rolling/pulling up/pulling stuff off shelves/chasing the dog/racing to find wires to chew on, etc.  femalesling.GIF is for Z, since she wears L sometimes.dp_malesling.GIF is for DP this week (even though DP has hair...), since she has been babywearing this week! I'm so impressed! She has used the sling several times and even played air hockey with Z while wearing L in the sling. I wish I could have seen that. I was in the archive. Z is awesome at air hockey--super aggressive fencing.gifbut with great defense, too.

Ooops--baby is up.  Personals tomorrow--glad everyone is ok and doing well.  Hugs.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#507 of 671 Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandylez View Post

Desert, I'm glad everything's okay!

Also interested in the donor conversation... we plan to be open too, but don't know how it will come up.  We supported Cory Silverberg's What Makes a Baby on Kickstarter and can't wait to have the book in our hands. I wonder if reading a book like this will help prompt the conversation at some stage? My nephew got interested in this stuff when he was about 5 or so... I think before that, they just take all family shapes and sizes for granted.

Did people use a book to learn signs? Any recommendations?  I know a few signs from nieces and nephews and friends' kids, but would love to have more in our vocabulary.

We used a book to learn them ourselves and then just started really young (probably too young ;) ) using them consistently. I reallize DD was quite verbal early on so she didn't sign for long but for the time she used them it was very useful! Someone gave her 2 signing books as a gift - ones aimed at infants. She loved looking at the pictures but we didn't use them as teaching "tools". There are a ton of books in the library or online.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#508 of 671 Old 06-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I had such high hopes for baby signing when my daughter was about five- or six- months old ... I'd been an ASL interpreter after all and was fluent!  Alas, she had no interest, and was super verbal super early (sentences by a year) and so used words before getting into the signs.  This time I'm not going to get excited about it, but I am still hopeful that I'll have at least one child who is happy to sign.  There is a great ASL dictionary online ... this one ... which my daughter likes to look up signs on. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#509 of 671 Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Shay signed "all done" tonight after dinner. It's the big one I've been pushing because I don't like the back arching and screaming lately. It was so cute.

#510 of 671 Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 AM

We started signing to the baby around 6 or 7 months.  We were so excited to sign with her.  And then it took forever to get it going.  Up until now (at 14 months) she's been pretty fixated on gross motor skills and has only really started to blossom in the language department in the last month.  She totally understands what we're saying to her and will go and do what we ask, but isn't necessarily able to communicate back to us, which results in a lot of tempertantrums. She's now starting to pick up signing quicker, at the same time she's developing some words. 

Her first sign was doggie around 11 months.  It's combo of three pants (the baby friendly sign) and the three leg pats (ASL).  Her second sign, which was milk, started just before she turned 12 months.  Milk was a pretty awesome sign as it was the first time she realized cause and effect.  She would sign milk and a boob/bottle would magically appear.  For the first month she would sign milk all the time, even when she didn't really want it, and laugh when we'd give her what she asked for.  Daycare got a little confused cause she signed milk all of the time but then didn't want it. They're also on board with signing to her. A month into that sign, she now only uses it to communicate her needs.

She learned 'eat' shortly after that, but the sign looks similar to blowing kisses, so sometimes we're not quite sure what she's doing.  And she just got 'more' this past week. 'Up' developed quite a while ago, throwing her arms up into the air, and she also now says 'dup'.  That's the only word and sign combo she knows.  She also knows diaper and hot and bathtime.  But she only makes those signs if we say the word.  She doesn't use them to express a need or feeling to us.

DW recognizes words that the baby says, and I don't really.  So signing is pretty awesome for me.  I think A. is going to be later in language acquisition (apparently I dove into full sentences) and maybe she'll be like that.  We have Mum (mumumumum), Mama (mamamama), rudder (brother), Randin (brother), RoRo (for her sister), sue (shoes), dup (up), uggie (doggie), na na (nursing).

I first read a book from the library - Baby Signs: How to Talk with your Baby before your Baby Can Talk - and then used this site online as I didn't really understand the written instructions on the motions to make http://www.babysignlanguage.com/.  Some of the Baby Signing Time series is on youtube and I've watched those with the baby.  Mostly to distract her while I cut her nails, but she does really like the pets I love one.

Oh - and hi everyone!!!  I've been way too absent in terms of writing personals.  But I've been following along. It's just hard to find time to write these days now that I've had to put 40 hours of work back into my week.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page