Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - April, May, June! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 671 Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi kids! Sorry for the disappearance! I managed to fill up my calendar some, and also realized that E's blessing ceremony is next weekend and that if I want anything for it (decorations, itty-bitty baby shoes, music, etc) that i needed to get on it. I think we'll have things more or less together in time for people to get into town, so that's a relief. Mostly i'm just amazed that my maternity leave is running out. We're here for two more weeks, then the four in Florida, and then back at work until I have the next kid. Amazing. Anyway, I'll try to get on here more often, and scrounge up some pictures, too!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#542 of 671 Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all!  I just realized that I hadn't posted since DW's fall over a week ago and thought I'd drop a quick line to everyone.  She's doing fine, after several hours of monitoring at the hospital the baby was kicking away.  A quick ultrasound told us her fluid level was GREAT, thankfully, and we got to go home.  

That weekend we drove out to CA for DW's grandfather's wedding and took some pictures on the beach!  

DSC_0343.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

So yeah, that's a couple out of 680 photos from the weekend... I'm not kidding.  

I follow along with you all every day, but it seems like my time to post just never exists!  I'm thinking of you guys.  Sara and Seraf, Soren and Shay just get more handsome every day! 

OMom - I love those pictures of your girls!  Happy daughters.  They're so sweet. 

AHope - how are you, mama?  Been thinking about you and your family. 

Brite!  We've been wondering about you too!  Hoping everything is going smoothly for you.  

Isa - Can't believe time's going by so quickly.  Will there be photos from this blessing of EJ's?  

Dandy - HI!  Belly pic?  

nosreves - congratulations again on your sweet sprout.  I'm so sorry your little brussel didn't make it.  I imagine that's quite the conflicting feelings.  Have you heard back from your parents about the baby yet?  Thinking of you, doll.  

Oh my gosh you guys, I'm missing so many of you.  I swear I'll get better about this posting stuff, maybe things will calm down before the babe arrives.  

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#543 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 AM

nos - that might be the best 12w ultrasound photo i've ever seen, wow!!! (i commented in our ddc re: the loss of your twin, but i'll send another hug here too  hug2.gif )

desert - love the beach photos, ya'll are so cute!!

me read.gif + dw crochetsmilie.gif + twins.gif twins.gif= stillheart.gif

member of mdc since 2008, now with new identity

#544 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Desert, just for you... winky.gif  They aren't as exciting as your wonderful beach pics, but here I am at 24 weeks. I'm getting sooo excited, like Christmas is coming and I'm 7 years old again!

Looks like you had a great time in CA!!

Saras! What wonderful pics!

Brite! ????? The suspense is killing us! lurk.gif

IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1163.JPG

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#545 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Desert, great pics! What are your plans for work when the baby comes?

Dandy, look how you've popped! Is the second trimester being generally kind to you?

Rainbow? How are you doing?

KS, enjoying California?

We had our first trip to the ER last night. I dropped some blinds on Shay and they scratched his cornea (and eyebrow, eyelid, arm and a toe). The ER experience was better than I expected. We took him to a children's hospital because they generally don't deal with kids down here. The hospital was pretty awesome. They totally recognized our family and were good with Shay.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#546 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Seraf, I hope Shay is ok! Glad that you had a positive experience at the hospital. The 2nd trimester has been great! Lots of heartburn, but that's it. I'm loving feeling the baby kick so much, and DP has felt it a number of times. We start a HypnoBirthing class on Thursday, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

#547 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am love love loving all of the baby pics, belly pics, and ultrasound pics!!!

Dandy- Love the comic! I should have a shirt with that printed on it. It's amazing how big of a to-do baby sex and gender determination seems to be for some people!

Nos- Losing one twin is sort of bittersweet, yes? Add me to the list of people for whom that has happened. We transferred two embryos, both implanted, but one didn't make it early on. It was definitely sad to see the second sac without much in it... but it was a relief to know that the pregnancy would be lower risk and that the surviving babe had a greater chance of going to term. My condolences and congrats both- how exciting to see a real live baby in your belly. 12 weeks was my favorite ultrasound because they are pretty developed, but small enough to see everything in one shot. :) I wish you the best with the family situation- any response yet?

Desert- Glad to hear everyone's okay! Love the beach pics. :)

Escher- I received the books today. Thank you! Can't wait to start reading.

AFM... Doing good. Physically I'm feeling great- no aches or pains, just feeling large and getting up and down is hard. I get tired pretty quickly, but all of that is normal when you're 38.5 weeks pregnant, so no complaints. I'm dilated to 2cm, 75% effaced, and passing mucus plug almost every day. I have a lot of Braxton Hicks but I don't think it's quite time for the real thing yet. Emotionally, I'm pretty ready to be at a stage where my body belongs to me again. I'd like to sit back, have a glass of wine, and not have requirements and restrictions any more. I'm really looking forward to the day when I'm not immediately in the path of this baby's mother's worries- she worries herself sick about everything and can not help but bring a lot of those worries up to me... Everything from baby's hiccups to chlorinated swimming pools to fetal monitoring in the hospital. It sometimes seems that she's determined to find something wrong at any moment. Thankfully daddy is a lot more reassured.

California is wonderful. Every day I am glad to be back here. We are somewhat settled into our new apartment. The movers were a huge hassle (which is a nice way of saying DISASTER) but we have our stuff now at least. I'm staying with surro-babe's parents about an hour away from our place until the baby is born, as I'll be birthing at the hospital near their house. At the apartment we at least have the bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen unpacked, though they need some organization. The living room needs some furniture still and we have a ton of stuff that we need to find places for. Our apartment is less than half of the size of our house in KS, so it's interesting trying to squeeze everything in. At any rate, we're set up enough that I'll feel comfortable coming back there after the baby's born.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#548 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Oh, and a question... I sometimes feel a movement from baby that is very strange... it's rhythmic, but not sharp movements like hiccups. It feels like she's breathing really hard. It's so strong that I can see my belly pulsating. Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's really weird to me!

#549 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 02:21 PM

KS, each of my pregnancies has had a weird movement that made no sense ( I though Shay was having seizures at one point) until the baby came out and I recognized the movement. His was a funny stretch where he waved his arms and legs back and forth repeatedly for several seconds. Clearly not a seizure, generally went with a yawn. Its possibly a signature move of hers that you're feeling now. It would be so hard to carry the baby of a worryer. There are so many things to question when you think too much about it. Especiallly if this is the home stretch after a long time trying. I'm sorry it's hard for you both

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#550 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM

seraf -- thanks for asking about my oft-forgotten cervix.  apparently, she's closed up tight and has no myomas (???) on her.  i don't think the doctor (because actual doctors do ultrasounds here) measured her, though.  i'm sure the hospital will make that a priority.  btw, i think my DP is secretly in love with Shay.  for months she's been going on and on (in French, of course) about how cute he is and how she could eat him up (not literally...i think).  we're both glad to hear that he's okay after the almost blinding blinds incident.

dandy -- thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement.  btw, i'm soooo envious of that bump you're sporting.  right now i think i'm just fatter than normal...all pudge and no bump.  when did you start showing and when did you start feeling the LO moving around?

sara -- how are you feeling, chica?  Soren looks frakkin adorable in his little green hat...just like a little elf.  those eyes are just gorgeous....

isa -- more Edith pics, s'il te plaît!

desert -- aww, you two are soo sweet.  i do feel a bit sorry for the beach ball, though.  how's your DP feeling these days?  and what super creative projects are you up to?  

junebug -- thanks, we're pretty pleased with the picture ourselves :) .  thanks also for your comments over on the other side of MDC.  they were very much appreciated.  how are you feeling now that you're in the 2nd trimester?

ksdoula -- first, i have been meaning to tell you for ages how much i loved your post on cloth diapering.  until i read it, i was absolutely baffled by the whole thing.  now, i feel like i have a better understanding of the different options.  merci beaucoup for taking the time to put that together.  i'd love any further advice or suggestions you have (or anyone else here!) second, thanks for what you said.  i guess losing a twin is more common than i realized.   in any case, i'm glad you were able to move back to a place that you love, and i'm sending you ELV for your surro-babe's upcoming birth.  please keep us all updated!

and rainbow!!!! what's going on, gal??

afm...  the family-telling went sooo much better than i was expecting.  i made the wise (in hindsight) decision to include my stepmother in the email to my father. she wrote back almost immediately and said how excited she was for us and asked if we knew the sex already.  she and my father then called me the next day, and they both seemed genuinely happy.  my stepmom even said that my dad wanted to fly back over in dec. to be here for the birth... um, yeah.   and they offered to pay for all of our nursery furniture just like they did with my sister and brother. i was very surprised and touched that they were happy for us.  my father admitted to being completely caught off guard by it all, but i'm sure my stepmother gave him a good talking to beforehand to head off any stupid/insensitive/rash comments or questions.  

my mother also responded...one word, "congratulations!"   that was the whole email.  my DP was *livid*.  she wanted to send back a nasty response saying something like "is that all you have to say to your only child who is going to have your first grandchild??"  but i talked her out of it.  at least it wasn't something horrible.  i imagine i won't hear anything from her again, but i will certainly send her photos when sprout arrives.  for years, she sent me and everyone else glowing emails about my various cousins' achievements.  she never once mentioned me...not when i went into the peace corps, not when i won awards or got a story published.  it was so weird and hurtful.  and then two years ago a younger cousin had a baby, and ever since she's been sending out these emails entitled "family photos" that show her with my cousin and the baby.   when i'm feeling particularly hormonal and mean-spirited, i imagine sending her pictures of my stepmother and father with the baby and the caption "sprout with her grandparents."   i could never really do it, though. i feel bad enough for just thinking it....  i've mostly given up on her, but a part of me is so very sad for both her and the LO. 

anyway.... i'm now 13 weeks! i had my final appointment with the wenchy gyn today, and she was actually much nicer than normal.  she checked my cervix, and then, much to my surprise, she pulled out a doppler and proceeded to find sprout's heartbeat.  i almost cried.  i think losing our other one has made me feel fragile and anxious about sprout's wellbeing.  next monday we have our first appointment with a midwife at the hospital where i'll be giving birth.  does anyone have suggestions for questions i should ask?  

also, does anyone have feedback/input on hypnobabies?  i was thinking it might be helpful, especially since i'll be surrounded by people speaking a language that is not my mother tongue. 

phew...sorry for the novel.  hope everyone is having a fabulous tuesday! upsidedown.gif

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#551 of 671 Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Nosreves- Number one, I can not possibly imagine how, as a mother, one could not be anything but excited and full of love for their daughter who is expecting a baby. It is really too bad for her that she is living in such negativity. I think your dad and stepmother have the right idea. ;) Anyway, about Hypnobabies, I used it for my first birth and loved it. I was able to stay relaxed and peaceful (despite the intensity of the process) for virtually my entire birthing time. I also think all of the positive affirmations really added to my confidence in the birthing process helped everything to go smoothly. It gave my wife tangible tasks to do- cues to help me relax and enter hypnosis. I did the home study course and I'm doing it again this time. I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to use more of the tools from the program this time around and I'm hoping it will be useful in dealing with the hospital environment. (Last time I had a homebirth.)

#552 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM

KS, I echo Nos' thoughts on the cloth diapering post. We've decided to go with a local diaper service, who are reasonably priced and very environmentally conscious and toxic-free, but your post really helped me to wrap my head around all the options out there today. It's an excellent resource!!

Nos, it's funny. I think I started to show way earlier than was apparent to other people.  I remember posting a pic on FB around 13 1/2 weeks, thinking I was HUGE, but now I look back on it, and realize I mostly looked bloated. But it doesn't matter. Our bodies are changing in all sorts of ways, and we've waited so long for this, that I think it's awesome to celebrate the first emerging bump. I also remember that it came not too long after that feeling of fat and pudge, so yours is on its way! I started feeling flutters that were sort of distinguishable around 18 weeks, and then identifiable movement and pops around 20 weeks.

I'm so glad the news went over well with your dad and step-mom!! It sounds like you have a healthy way of dealing with your mom for yourself and your own sanity. I'm sad for her as well. She's missing out on such an amazing opportunity and relationship. Hugs!

Oh, and I'm not doing Hypnobabies, but we are doing Hypnobirthing.  I always thought they were the same thing, but just realized they're totally different programs, but I think based on the same sort of premise of deep relaxation.  I really like the book so far.  A lot of people have commented (in my DDC and IRL) that the Hypnobabies book is annoying to read because it's all underlined, bolded, and italicized for emphasis, and so it feels like she's shouting at you.  The HypnoBirthing book isn't like that at all.  It's well written and a pleasure to read. Our class starts on Thursday night, so I can update more on Friday.

#553 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Hey! I just got my second BFP! My partner and I use a KD (different one than we used with DD). So far so good! Justthe normal fatigue.... so excited to join you guys again!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#554 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Just a minute to post:

Seraf: So glad Shay is ok! Yikes.

Whoabethy: Congratulations and welcome (back)! joy.gif

Dandy: Awesome belly. Love the pics.

Nos: Adjusting to one? I bet your bump will be unmistakable pretty soon.  With my first, it took forever (like 7 months), but I felt more recognizably preggo this time by 5-6 months (not sure why the difference, since I was heavier to start this time).  The u/s pic is amazing!  I didn't do a hypnobabies class but got the CDs and found them enormously helpful in labor.  REALLY useful and calming and focusing and empowering.  I'm so sorry about your mom...hug2.gif

KS: Totally understand being ready to have your body back to yourself, especially when you are dealing with a worry wart.  Best wishes for an easy birth!

Rainbow?!

AFM: Z's (known)donor comes into town in an hour and will be staying with us for two nights. She has been asking more about him lately and we are glad to have the visit, but it is always super awkward, because we have NOTHING in common other than Z.  He is a business man in his late 50s... ugh.  Hoping we find something to talk about for two days...  Things are well at home--much better with DP, though this issue comes up cyclically.  Lilah is pulling up and standing unsupported for a few seconds at a time. She is fearless!  Gotta run-

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#555 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM

nos - im sorry to hear your mother's reaction didn't feel more sincere.  i hope she comes around as your pregnancy progresses and the baby arrives.  my MIL was the same way with our first and slowly, she's getting there.  as for hynobabies, i bought the home-study kit too, though i didn't end up making it through the whole course on my own (im a slacker).  i loved the pregnancy affirmation track. i am a worrywart, and it was nice to have those affirmations to go to.

congrats beth! joy.gif

amanda - hope the next few days aren't too awkward.

afu - 15 weeks today. love.gif  im still having some serious "morning" sickness & exhaustion, but nothing compared to my first pregnancy so i can't complain.

#556 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Hey everyone!

Nos, I'm so sorry about the loss of one of the twins, and at the same time I echo everyone's congratulations on your healthy baby!  I love the ultrasound pic.  So cute to see the whole little one in one shot!  I'm also sad to hear that your mother's response was so curt and that she's not able to extend her love and support to your family.  Who knows, maybe she will come around someday.  I can't even imagine how she could stay so removed after seeing pictures of her own grandbaby!  All of this does indeed sound emotionally complex.  Keep taking great care of yourself & hang in there.

Brite, I am wondering about you and hope you are doing okay..

Amanda, I hope the visit with the donor is going okay!  Sounds like quite an interesting hangout.  How often does he visit you guys?

Desert, I love the beach photos!  You two are so cute!  I especially like the sandcastles.

Whoabethy, welcome and congratulations! :-)

Seraf, sorry to hear about the accident with the blinds!  Yikes.  Glad to hear your hospital experience was okay.  How is Shay doing now?

Dandy, great photos!  You look so good!  You've inspired me to post my own belly photo below. 

Hello to everyone else!

I also could tell I was growing waaaaaay before anyone else could!  I think that now I have finally made it - at 24 weeks - into the  world of pregnant people who look pregnant - a woman I don't know came up to me and rubbed my belly last week.  She said to me, "Are you having a little girl?" 

To which I replied, "I'm having a little somebody!"

And she said, "It looks like a girl to me!  I can tell just by looking at you."

And I asked, "What makes you say that?"

And she said, "I can just tell."

And that was that.  So at this point I've dreamed our baby is a boy, been told the baby is a boy, and been told the baby is a girl.  I've also been told that the baby will be really hairy, because I have so much heartburn!  Has anyone else heard that?  I find it all pretty humorous!

Everything is going well, *except* I have developed a really intense, nervy pain in my left hip.  Really it is more like my left butt cheek!  Ouch.  I can't put weight on my left foot without it shooting pain down my leg.  I'm working on trying to see my doc tomorrow or the next day.  Thank goodness today was the last day of school!  I still have to write my narratives (we don't use grades, so we write detailed narratives about how each 7th grader did this school year), but at least I can work from home and don't have to be active.  I'm hoping I can get this pain to go away with bodywork.  Have any of you experienced anything like this during your pregnancies?

Here I am last week and this week... though I swear I've grown another inch since the last picture was taken!!  My tummy is itchy!

23 Weeks.jpg24 Weeks.jpg

Take care, all of you! xoxo

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#557 of 671 Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for being so obliging, Dandy!  winky.gif

AHope, that's interesting that your donor stays over at your house.  Do you think he finds it awkward too?  I hope you're all able to find things to talk about! 

Seraf - I saw the pictures of poor Shay on FB!  I'm glad he's okay.  

Junebug, hooray for 15 weeks!  Sorry your tummy is not feeling great, I hope it abates soon.  How are your other kiddos doing with the newest pregnancy?  Are they excited? 

Whoabethy - Welcome (back)!  I am new to these parts (well, within the last 16 months new) and I don't "know" you - would you mind telling us more about your wife and kid?  Congratulations on number 2! 

Planet - lovely belly!  I also really like your birds arm tattoo, lol.  DW has really grown an amazing amount in these last four weeks, and still no strangers have been rubbin' up on her belly.  Maybe she gives off an effective "F-you, stay away" vibe.  We are of the belief that it's abnormal to go up to a complete stranger and start touching and caressing her belly, *especially* without permission.  DW's plan is to start rubbing their belly in return.  Hopefully that'll weird out people enough to get them to QUIT IT.  

So, the latest here is that yesterday our AC conked out and the heat made the dog sick and he got diarrhea all over the kitchen floor and so DW came home yesterday evening to a poop sauna!  Yep, pleasant.  Poor DW.  She said it was an absolute test of will to NOT vomit all over the diarrhea.  Of course, last night we also had a Bradley class scheduled, so DW went to that while I stood around waiting on our neighbor HVAC guy to fix the unit.  Thankfully, we HAVE a neighbor HVAC guy and thankfully, he fixed it and our house is now nearing chilly.  Poor DW is so SO hot.  It's been above 100 degrees here all week and our house has just been too warm!  I do feel badly for her.  She has a rice sock that she likes to keep in the freezer though and it makes her incredibly happy to lay it across her belly, LOL.  

It's bedtime here!  Which means reading Harry Potter to the belly, yay!  

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#558 of 671 Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
KS—glad your family is all moved—movers are the worst, for sure. And you’re getting so close! I think it’s sweet that the baby’s mom is getting all protective, but it’s not being directed at me. She’ll be here soon!

Seraf—good timing on getting sick—you’ll be all healed up for your visit! Glad Shay is ok, too. Is it hard being the patient instead of the nurse?

Desert—yes, I promise pictures, though they might not be as cute as your beach ones! And bravo to your DP for not getting sick with that—I don’t think I would have made it.

Nos—ugh. My aunt sent an email like that (although she omitted the punctuation). It definitely hurts, and I imagine even more so when it’s your actual mother. I’m glad your dad and stepmom are behaving like normal grandparents-to-be. Hopefully your mom will either come around, or the hurt will lessen with time. *hugs* to you both. I also realize I never said anything about losing the twin. I’m so sorry about that. One healthy baby will be amazing, but it’s sad to have to say goodbye to the one who didn’t make it, even if that means your little sprout has better odds.

Dandy—you look great! I did hypnobirthing—DP said the other night that she misses the relaxation cd, so I’m supposed to be looking for a replacement. It didn’t work much for me in labor, but I think the circumstances were difficult for meditation, and I’m not very hypnotizable, so I think that’s part of it. I know other people have had excellent results with it!

Whoabethy—welcome back and congrats! I wasn’t here for your first, so I’ll enjoy getting to know you with #2!

Ahope—yay for standing Lilah! I bet she’s so cute tottering on her little feet! Also, do you mind sharing how you ended up with Z’s donor? It’s great that he’s willing to have a relationship with her, and that you’re willing to put up with the awkwardness. Good luck!

Junebug—boo for morning sickness!

Planet—so cute, you and your bump! And I’m so sorry about the hip pain. I get sciatica sometimes (though not while pregnant, thankfully) and it SUCKS. Also, everyone (usually people I’d just met or strangers) told me that E was going to be a boy. Nope, crazy strangers. Not a boy. (at least not yet)

AFM—We’ve been having fun over here. E is starting to imitate us, so we have a new game—we say ‘goo’ and she grins, thinks about it, and says ‘goo’ back to us. It’s adorable. Now that we’ve been doing it for a couple days she sometimes even initiates the conversation! I know it doesn’t count as a word until she attaches meaning to it, but it’s so amazing to be able to talk with her, even if it doesn’t mean anything yet. She and DP are talking now. smile.gif Every time I try to add pictures my computer pretends it doesn’t have any. Next time!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#559 of 671 Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes! My partner and I met in 2004 while we were living in NYC. We lived in Brooklyn for about 8 years. DP is a special ed teacher - she teaches science to Deaf and Hard of Hearing students. I was a school librarian until DD was born and then I was home with her. Now I'm in law school...just finished up my 1st year. My amazing DP is supporting us all through my schooling. My law school is Catholic, so they have really good policies about pregnant students. :)

DD was born in 2009. We had planned a homebirth, but my water broke at 35 weeks and DD was breech. So, I ended up with a c-section. Big bummer. But DD turned out fine...better than fine! She's an amazing, spirited kid a great imagination! She loves to talk about her "grandkids" (Paprika, Knuckle and Leap) and tells stories about them all the time. Yesterday she told me that they were on vacation in "turkey country" visiting an octopus and cat who lived together under the ocean. Ha!For this pregnancy and last we used a KD. DD's and new baby's donors are both friends of mine from college.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#560 of 671 Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Here's a pic of my family last summer! We got married in NY right before we moved to MN!

#561 of 671 Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Welcome and congrats, Whoabethy! What a beautiful pic of your family! Your DD is a cutie!

Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone!

Planet, you look fabulous!! I haven't had anyone come up to my belly yet, and I'm not sure how I'll deal with it if it does happen.  I'm sorry about your hip pain. I posted about something similar about a week ago, but luckily it passed fairly quickly.  I hope yours does too!

Desert, I love your DPs solution to the belly rubbing!  I had a good giggle when I imagined doing it back to someone.  That A/C dog diarrhea story is awful but I'm sure it will be funny some years down the road! Your poor DP! I can't imagine the mixture of smells and heat! Glad the A/C is fixed now!

Junebug, great to hear that you're doing well! Happy 15 weeks!!

Nos, had our first HypnoBirthing class last night, and I LOVE it so far! The approach is really well aligned with my own philosophy, and I think the breathing, visualizations, affirmations will help a ton. I wasn't sure what DP would think of it, but she's totally on board. She did one of her undergrad degrees in Phys. Ed. and studied the use of similar breathing and visualization for athletes. She also thinks they'll be some good tools to help her deal with stressful situations generally, which can be a bit of a struggle for her.  I hope you find the HypnoBabies course to be as useful!

Isa, did you lose the relaxation CD? Or is it just that it's birth-specific? (I haven't listened to it yet.) If you need another copy, I can probably make one and mail it to you? Let me know. I love that you guys and E are chatting these days! What an awesome time this is!

AFM, we hired a doula for the birth. We weren't really thinking about it, but I went to an info session and met these really amazing women, and we decided that if we were really committed to our home birth, then we should arrange for extra support for the both of us (and our moms, who will probably be there.) I'm also thinking about placenta encapsulation.  It's not something I'm telling people about (except you lovely women) because I know most reactions will be rolled eyes and laughter, but a friend did it and swears that it made a difference. I figure that it can't hurt. Has anyone here done this?

Finally, a cute story. DP and I were lying in bed the other night, talking about names, and girl names specifically. Our three favourites are Fionnula, Adair, and Ula.  Anyway, babe hadn't been kicking super frequently, but DP put her hand on my tummy and said, "What do you think, Pickle, should we call you Fionnula?"  The Pickle responded with a huge kick right in the centre of her palm. She tried it with the other names, but there was no response at all. SO... it seems that Pickle has chosen her own name. It might be a bit of an awkward name if he turns out to be a boy, but we'll just have to remind him that he picked it! winky.gif

#562 of 671 Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

planet - your belly is so cute!!!  the pain sounds like sciatica, i didn't have it while pregnant but my partner did.  i don't think there is much you can do about it except for getting off your feet, and maybe warm compresses.  i hope it doesn't last your entire pregnancy :(

desert - love your wife's idea for warding off unwanted belly touching.  people are so clueless!!  to answer your question, our other kids are too young to really understand there is another on the way. 

isa - those early baby conversations are so sweet!!! aw! :)

beth - love the sweet family picture!

dandy - i think its great you hired a doula, we had one for our last birth and she was amazing.  it really is a different level of support than those that are attending for personal reasons (like family).   that's a cute story about pickle picking her name too!

afu - just truckin' along.  im starting to feel some flutters, which is awesome.

#563 of 671 Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Whoabethy- welcome and congrats!!!

AmandaH- I'd love to hear how the visit went with your KD. Out of curiosity, how did you find yourselves using him as a donor? Was he an acquaintance or someone you met for the sole purpose of sharing sperm?

Planet- LOVE the belly! :)

Desert- The dog disaster sounds like pretty much the worst thing ever while pregnant. My cat went through a period of vomiting several times a day during my first trimester and that was hell... but the poo and the heat combined would have been a thousand times worse. Glad she survived that, haha.

Isa- It's kind of sweet that she worries about the baby, except that she worries about things that are just clearly NOT problems. For example, the baby hiccups often and it took three different doctors telling her she's crazy before she would believe that the hiccuping was not caused by oxygen deprivation. I just have had this great healthy pregnancy and I don't want my natural birth to be sabotaged because she is worried about problems that don't exist. Little E sounds SO cute!

Dandy- Love that you hired a doula. I did not have one for my homebirth, but this time around I've hired one and she's been worth her weight in gold already, and I haven't even given birth. I think you'll be really happy about that decision!

Back for my update later, gotta go!

#564 of 671 Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Okay, back!

AFM... still pregnant! Haha. I am 39 weeks today. TMI alert for sure, but my bowels have been really clearing out over the past two days, culminating in some diarrhea and very gurgly belly this evening. I would love for it to be a little bit of prelabor preparation, but we shall see! I'm feeling very ready for this baby to be born... so uncomfortable the last few days. It's so difficult to find a difficult position to sit, stand, lay, etc. and walking has gotten to be really awkward! My hospital bag is packed, my doula is on call and everyone is ready to see a baby, so it would be great if things could pick up tonight or tomorrow morning! :) But I'm not holding my breath. I've been expecting her within just a few days of my EDD, so it would be a pleasant surprise to have a baby earlier.

#565 of 671 Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Hey you all!

Yes, I've been diagnosed with sciatica. Ouch!!!  My ND gave me an awesome butt massage, which helped a tiny bit, but it the nerve pain is still ridiculously painful.  We're going on six days of it now!  I have a massage and craniosacral appointment both coming up next week, and am going to try to see my acupuncturist ASAP as well.  I'm super determined to get this pain to ease up as much as possible, as I can barely walk (it's more like a slow hobble at this point). 

Also, about the random belly rub, it was one of my students' grandmothers, so even though she was a stranger to me, she wasn't a *totally* random stranger.  I wasn't offended by it, just amazed and somewhat shocked by both her bold belly rubbing AND declaration that the baby is a girl! I agree with y'all that touching peoples' bellies (or any other part of them, really, unless you are close) without asking first is very, very bad form!  If it hadn't been at a school event I probably would have blocked her before the hands could touch my belly (I'm a self-defense instructor too, so I've got some good moves under my belt!) ;)

Dandy, that's cool about the doula!  We have one too, and we are realllllllly happy about it.  Our doula is a friend of ours who has been a doula for several years, and is almost finished with midwifery school as well.  We're super thankful that we've arranged for this extra support.  Also, I'm interested in hearing more about the hypnobirthing.  My teaching partner lent me a book about it, but I haven't cracked it yet.  Also, we've been talking about the placenta encapsulation.  Our doula just told us about it, and I'm very curious to hear if anyone has tried it and how it went?

Would someone be willing to point me in the direction of that now-infamous cloth diapering post?  It sounds like something I should read, but I seemed to have missed it somehow.  Thank you!

Sweet dreams and hello to all of you! xoxo

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#566 of 671 Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View PostAlso, we've been talking about the placenta encapsulation.  Our doula just told us about it, and I'm very curious to hear if anyone has tried it and how it went?

Would someone be willing to point me in the direction of that now-infamous cloth diapering post?  It sounds like something I should read, but I seemed to have missed it somehow.  Thank you!

On the topic of placentas, with my first birth I did not have anyone in our little town in Kansas to encapsulate mine, and I was in NO state to take care of my own. But it was important to me to have the option of using my placenta for its benefits. I actually froze it in tiny bits and used one or two bits in a smoothie each day (with orange sherbet, orange juice, and frozen cherries to cover any trace of texture/flavor from the placenta, haha.) It was probably the grossest thing I've ever done but it REALLY helped me emotionally. Once I started doing the smoothies, the baby blues that were creeping in just totally went away. The extra hormone support really seemed to make the transition easier. I've also heard the placenta can help with a plentiful milk supply, and my milk supply was definitely plentiful to say the least, but I think it probably would have been with or without. This time around I am living in CA and there are plenty of people around who encapsulate placentas, yay! My doula will have a cooler with her when she comes for my birth, and she will transport it to the placenta lady for me. The placenta lady will get it done hopefully within just a few days and deliver it to our doorstep! I am super excited about this.

The cloth diapering post: http://themiddleofeverything.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/the-mother-of-all-online-cloth-diapering-guides/

It's long, but so far it is the only place where I've been able to find most of this info all in one place. Hope it is helpful to you. :)

#567 of 671 Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Also, we've been talking about the placenta encapsulation.  Our doula just told us about it, and I'm very curious to hear if anyone has tried it and how it went?

My doula dried and prepped mine as part of her "doula service" and then my DP just bought some capsules from the local vitamin shop and I encapsulated it myself - it was just like dried herbs/spices. I also think it was amazing for my well being and would highly recommend it. There was nothing gross about it at all...it was just like taking vitamins. I took about 6-8 capsules a day.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#568 of 671 Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Hello Everyone!! I am so sorry to have left everyone in such suspense blowkiss.gifI am almost 39 weeks which means I am STILL pregnant irked.gif Here is a quick update of what is going on:

Baby Girl is still semi-transverse her head is basically sitting on the pelvic inlet but she refuses to engage. My fluid levels are at a 14 and my midwife feels that because of the higher fluid levels and my "roomy" uterus the baby has lots of room to still swim around. She will probably not engage until my water breaks. But I have been trying the Miles Circuit to get her in the right position, bouncing on my birth ball, and being on hands and knees. What a stubborn little baby! The good news is that my mom is FINALLY here so the baby now has the go ahead to make her debut! I am really quite miserable! My feet are so swollen that they hurt and I can't fit any of my shoes so I had to get some cheap flip flops that still hurt. The funny part is that before my mom arrived I had been experiencing lots of prodromal labor and now basically nothing LOL! I am at my wits end and my anxiety is going through the roof, in addition with my gestational diabetes and recently discovered high blood pressure, and a looming forced repeat C-Section I am caving and going to give the Labour Cocktail Recipe that Starling posted a while back and see what happens. Here's hoping this works because not even Acupuncture has worked at this point. I am soft, and dilated to at least 1 (I have declined all internals the past 3 weeks). I promise that I will be back for personals if this baby doesn't make an appearance today or tomorrow. Thank you ALL for thinking of me and I am sorry again for leaving you ladies hanging!

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#569 of 671 Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Here are some photos to make up for my absence these are from our Maternity Photoshoot at 37 weeks!

37.5 Weeks Pregnant (4).JPG 37.5 Weeks Pregnant (2).jpeg

Me afro.jpg (26), DW dreads.gif (26) Mommies to Riley Sophia hearts.gif born 6/12, my Angel DD angel.gif Imani Joi, and 1 furbaby dog2.gif... On our Quest for Hope om.gif

#570 of 671 Old 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Brite--Great to hear from you! I love the pictures; thanks for sharing! I'm sending you easy labor vibes as I type this. All of my best for a smooth, head-down VBAC for your sweet little one. You two must be so excited to meet her. I know it's been a ridiculously long road for you and I am thrilled that she'll be here soon! Happy laboring to you!

Mama (37) to a sweet 4-year-old daughter, a baby girl born 1/18/12 and wife to a fantastic woman.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page