Name-Changing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My fiancee & I are getting married this summer (legal and everything joy.gif) & have been thinking about surnames. Both of us would like our kids (these are futurekids) to have the same name as both of us, but neither of us had any particular attachment to our own. So we brainstormed & settled on an awesome name to share & have been planning to both change our names to that post-nuptials. Has anyone here done this? Pros, cons, advice re: legal stuff?

Also, the name we chose is Thrace. .....not too much, is it? 2whistle.gif

rainbow1284.gif Rain City Doula placenta.gif

http://www.facebook.com/RainCityDoula

#2 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM

I like it! My parents have friends who changed their name to Fisher when they got married, just because they liked to fish. I wanted me and my husband to do something like that, but he was very attached to his surname. So I changed mine, 'cause I wanted us all to have the same. Anyway, I think it's a great idea!

#3 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

My partner and I are co-parenting the kids she gave birth to from a previous relationship, but the youngest was only 1 when they separated so her concept of "family" is us. We haven't gotten legally married as our state doesn't allow it, but we had a spiritual union and picked a new last name which our children share, unofficially. At school, they are still mother's legal name and father's legal name hyphenated, but we have a "family" last name for unofficial purposes. Even though their father only sees them occasionally, I still think it would be a slap in the face for them to drop his last name unless they felt strongly about it, so it's not like we would change their last names when we do legally marry, but they have the option to take ours instead.

I know a few couples who just combined their last names when they got married (Brangelina style) or picked a new one, a couple of friends of ours changed it to the place where they met. And others still just picked the last name of the couple who had a supportive family versus the parents who essentially cut them off when they found out they were getting married. I have a hyphenated last name and it's annoying, my parents gave my brother my mother's legal name as his middle name but I got stuck with the hyphenated one because I was a girl, and it does make going about your daily business harder than it needs to be. I'm all about picking a new one.

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

#4 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Sorry, that should have been mother's *maiden* name, not legal, lol :(

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMarsh View Post

My fiancee & I are getting married this summer (legal and everything joy.gif) & have been thinking about surnames. Both of us would like our kids (these are futurekids) to have the same name as both of us, but neither of us had any particular attachment to our own. So we brainstormed & settled on an awesome name to share & have been planning to both change our names to that post-nuptials. Has anyone here done this? Pros, cons, advice re: legal stuff?

Also, the name we chose is Thrace. .....not too much, is it? 2whistle.gif

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! joy.gif My partner and I both changed our surnames to a common surname of our choice when we married. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

PS I don't think Thrace is too much. What's most important is you both like it.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#6 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM

great idea!  We legally changed names in '09 when I was pregnant with our first child.  We're both attached to our legal surnames, so we hyphenated......and it's pretty much a nightmare!  I also have a double first name, which makes my name even worse.  No one EVER gets it right.  And in our state, they won't hyphenate on a driver's license, for example, so I always get called by HER surname!  Same on credit card, medical insurance, etc.  The combo of my first name and her original surname is really goofy and people literally laugh when they say it.

All that to say......good for you for just creating a new name!  Congrats and best wishes.

#7 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Hi there and congrats on the wedding!

We had a ceremony with our family and friends and consider ourselves married even though it is not legal here in NC.

I plan to change my last name to my wife's after I get pregnant, just a lot going on before then, and the importance for us is that we share a family name. She was attached to her surname and I have a brother who has a son to carry on mine so we're going with hers. We also thought that since 2nd parent adoptions are not legal here that for her to have the same name as our child would make things less complicated (doctors visits and so on).

Good luck with your decision! And I think no matter what surname you choose it would be just fine, there are all kinds of crazy last names out there!

Me (27) and DW (33) TTC #1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page