Queer TTC May 2012 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 243 Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wehrli: I can understand that. We feel even more strongly about using the same KD for #2. I've added a link to her chart :)

MrsPP: One cup of red raspberry tea could affect you somewhat but I don't think it would cause you to bleed that much longer than normal. Krista gave you good advice. Check in with your care provider if you're concerned but it could just be an "off" cycle...perhaps even due to stress. Keep us updated!

Afm: I had an awesome acupuncture appointment this afternoon. I'm feeling slightly bloated and crampy tonight. I hope it means something!

ETA: speaking of charts - does anyone else chart online and is willing to share a link? It can be really helpful to see other charts :)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#182 of 243 Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM

Wow!!  Thank you so much for your help everyone!!  stillheart.gif   I feel a little stalker-y because I'm reading everyone's posts, but I don't have a lot to add or respond since I'm such a newbie... but I'm learning SO much from you!  It's really been helpful!

Thank you, Carmen, Pokeycip, and Wishin' for your responses about the progesterone.  I see what you mean about it being more helpful to get the hormones right in the area I need them, versus having to travel through my whole system first.  Makes sense!  I swear, I wanted to quit them around day 5, but now I'm pretty used to it!  I have the melty kind.  They come in the weirdest container, and I have to use this little tool to poke them out.  Totally weird!

MrsPP - I'm feeling pretty well!  I don't seem to be having side effects from the progesterone, that I can tell.  My skin kinda sucks right now, but that could be due to stress.  And I'm running a little warmer some days, but I like it because I'm usually cold.  The biggest change is that I'm RAVENOUS!!!  I'm hungry every 2 hours!!  The snack breaks I'd take at work occasionally are like required this past week!  I realize that if I was actually pregnant, I only need an extra 300 calories a day to support the pregnancy, and this appetite is surely getting more calories in me than that!  But I'm going with it.  Some things I've read said snacking can help stave off nausea-- like if you're too hungry you'll probably get nauseous, like in the morning= morning sickness.

The first week c-r-a-w-l-e-d....  By Sunday, I couldn't believe it had only been one week.  Longest. Week. Ever.  This week is going better, but I've been really busy.  We were packing today, and I was overly cautious, I think, about not overdoing it.  We'll see!   I can't wait for my blood test on Friday morning!!!

Gloomcookie - That's what I was thinking!!  I couldn't believe my luck!  When I called my mom later that day to wish her Happy Mom's Day, I also told her about the insem.  She was like, "Why did you do it on Mothers' Day?"   I was like, "Umm, because my cycle was on the right day and I was probably ovulating...?"  It didn't occur to her at first that it was a coincidence!  Ha!  :-)

Good luck and best wishes to everyone!!  Let's make some babies!! 

I am 33.  I've been with my partner for 6 years. partners.gif  July31/Aug1- 3rd at home IUI with FDS

July 2013- 2nd at home IUI with FDS (new donor)- BFN, June 2013 1st at home IUI -BFN... 

(Before that, 3 tries at the clinic with FDS, 2 with clomid and 1 with femara)

#183 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 AM

Finally, CD 1 follows CD 42. Rainbow.gif

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#184 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsy View Post

Finally, CD 1 follows CD 42. Rainbow.gif

Yay!

Afm: I had another night of insomnia and lots of AF type cramping. I actually decided to test this morning (@ 10DPO) and I was honestly surprised it was negative. *sigh* I'll test again @ 12DPO but the hope I had last night has sort of been squashed a bit.

#185 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 AM

Just writing in to say to Krista...(since I don't know the next time I will be on....)

Happy birthday next week, birthday buddy! Here's to hoping our next year is more fertile than the last!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#186 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Hey everyone! Although I haven't posted in days, I still keep up with this thread and send good luck wishes everyday! Peace.gif

Mrs&Mrs: Thanks for letting me know the prices you pay, I'll have to ask the nurse for that info next time I go in. Hopefully this time will work and I can put all this behind me.

Rs: Thats great to hear your insurance covers your procedures!! And good luck in your TWW, when do you think you will test?

MsPP: hope the honeymoon baby works out! It has to be a good sign! Sorry to hear you had some issues going on, I know it is already a stressful experience even without any bumps in the road. When I feel something unique I just try to remember that every woman experiences things differently. Oh and thanks for mentioning the raspberry tea, I looked online for fertility boosting teas but was confused by the information out there.

Gloom: Sorry to hear about your BFN greensad.gif hang in there!

AFM: I'm at CD7 and will start using my OPK tomorrow to test. Last month the OPK showed positive on CD8 so I'm hoping something similar happens this month so this process can move quickly! Praying for the best!!

My doctor's office processed our IUI and prep fee through my insurance just to try and the claim was denied as expected. Luckily our charges will be something like $250 rather than the $675 they would have charged the insurance company. Funny how that works!

Can someone tell me what a trigger shot is? I'm still fairly new to all this...

Good luck everyone! dust.gif

Me (27) and DW (33) TTC #1

#187 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi everyone!

Gloomcookie, I am so sorry for the BFN. Do you have more embryos in storage still?

Wehrli, woohoo! Welcome back! I'm psyched that your DP is game for carrying!

Lovestreet, no pressure to respond to everyone! It takes awhile to figure things out. But we're all here if you have questions or need support!

Carmen, I'll say to you what you always say to me: 10 DPO is too early to test! But, I'm sorry that you got a BFN. I know how much that sucks.

Outdoorsy, here's hoping that this is CD1 of the cycle that gets you pregnant. I was the one with RE recs, but they're all in Providence or Boston. If you end up working with Women and Infants in Providence I can give you lots of nice coffee shop and restaurant recommendations.:) I've had several friends use them and they've been happy and were treated well.

Wanna, Happy CD7! I'm just a few days ahead of you. A trigger shot is a shot of HCG (pregnancy hormone) or Ovidrel (synthetic HCG) that stimulates ovulation. You trigger 24-36 hours before your insemination, and then, in theory, you have sperm in there waiting when the egg drops. Doctors usually use them in conjunction with meds like clomid and femera, which stimulate ovulation, though some doctors will also use them on their own to time an IUI.

AFM, I triggered Monday night, and we went in for our IUI this morning. They did an ultrasound before thawing the sperm to make sure my lining looked okay, and it was up from 6.2 mm to 11 mm! I'm feeling much better about things. They also looked at my ovaries and said that the follicles were all still there (at 35 hours post-trigger). Is this normal? When should they start releasing? I'm worried that they won't come out in time! Anyway, I can officially be moved to waiting to know.:)

Also, my shameless plug of the day: we're in the top ten for the Faces of Mothering contest! If you feel so moved, perhaps you could vote for me? Voting ends tomorrow!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1353748/faces-of-mothering-contest-top-ten-vote-for-your-favorite-two-photos#post_16987100

Wishing everyone happy fertile thoughts!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#188 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM

angela, both times I got pg, I had IUI 36 hrs post trigger... then I had O pains about 39-40 hrs post trigger. so I suspect your timing is a-ok!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#189 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Actual words of the receptionist when I asked for a callback from the midwife to talk about u/s monitoring: "For what, though?"

Bottom line from the midwife: They don't do u/s monitoring there. I would have to get an RE. But since I still haven't tried the Clomid and we already have a vial sitting at the midwife's, we may decide to give it one more try there first. I have FSH bloodwork on Friday. I need to talk to DW about the decision on whether to try one more before going to the RE, i.e., whether we would "waste" the sperm money. Women, what are your recommendations?

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#190 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Drive-by posting...I'll personals tomorrow morning.

We've been out of town for a couple of days, so I've been offline. We just got back an hour ago and am I ever tired! I'm still having serious side effects from the progesterone; hot flashes, mood swings, and vaginal irritation to rival the worst yeast infection ever. I had some serious cramping on Monday night and the worst lower back pain I've ever had -and I'm not the sort who normally gets back pain. I also spotted a bit Monday evening, but it was bright red blood. I've been ravenous and craving fried food for the past two days, and I did that in March as well when I was pregnant, but I was also on the progesterone then (in a different form), so I can't take that as a sign.

I'm just so afraid my worst fear is about to come true: that we've spent over $4k and will not end up with a baby. If this cycle is a BFN, we'll be taking off until at least August. I don't know what we'll do then. Even with my MIL's help, paying $850 a month to try (plus meds!) is a lot, especially if I will keep ovulating on my own with the metformin. Not that I'm writing this cycle off, but I'm trying to plan for the future so I hopefully won't be too depressed if this cycle isn't the "one."

We're testing on Sunday, if AF doesn't show up before then. And tomorrow's my birthday.

Mother to one dd .
#191 of 243 Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Angela: Sounds great to me! And I already voted for your photo :) Congrats on making it to the top 10!!

outdoorsy: I would wait for the bloodwork results...it could tell you a lot. If it doesn't then I would consider more testing - maybe an hsg? You have only had 4 tries with frozen, correct? That's technically not that many times and if your cycles are regular then it could just be taking time. Hopefully the blood results are a-ok and then you can make a call on what testing to do next. Personally, I would want to know if there was issue before I started "treating" something. I asked my RE if a trigger and u/s monitoring would be helpful and he said it's usually only helpful if you have trouble pinpointing O...I've never had a problem with that but I know everyone is different and it's more critical with frozen than fresh.

rs: Sounds like you have lots of promising symptoms! Happy (early) Birthday! I only spend about $400.00/month on fertility "stuff" but we've been at it for over a year now and it's getting expensive so I can totally relate.

Afm: Pretty much no cramping or symptoms at all today. Not sure what last night was all about. I was seriously convinced I was pregnant. Not so much anymore.

#192 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Angela: Congrats on making the top 10! About 36 hours post-trigger has been the key for me as well, but it depends on when you ovulate; the stats show that the best results are obtained when the IUI is done within 6 hours either side of ovulation.

Krista: I'm so glad you haven't given up! I hope IVF gets you a baby! When do you start? And Happy Birthday!

Wannab: Good luck!

Outdoorsy: You've had enough problems with irregular and possibly anovulatory cycles that I think the RE is probably warranted. He/she will be a lot better at reading hormone levels and the like than a midwife or even a regular doctor. For example, I was seeing my OB/GYN before she referred me to the RE. She did several rounds of bloodwork and said everything came back normal. The u/s was the only thing that even suggested I had PCOS. However, the bloodwork was NOT technically normal. I have high prolactin levels -but not high enough to trip the sensors. Normal prolaction is in the low double digits and high is considered to be anything over 100*. That's the level at which they typically send you for tests and medication. Mine never went above 71 and was typically in the 50s or 60s. When I went to the RE, he explained that levels as low as 50 can suppress or inhibit ovulation and went ahead and put me on medication. He also gave me the metformin, which my doctor would not because I do not have insulin problems. It wasn't my OB/GYNs fault; she's a damn good doctor (one of the best in the state) but she is NOT a hormone expert. With all of your problems, I would think the RE should be able to give you more help or at least a better understanding of what's going on.

*I'm using the local lab's numbers -your labs assays might be different.

Carmen: I've got my fingers crossed for you! I hope you get a positive this month!

AFM: I go back and forth between being convinced that I'm pregnant and convinced that I'm not, as usual. Today's the last school day for the year! That's definitely a great birthday present!

Mother to one dd .
#193 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs11 View Post

Carmen: I've got my fingers crossed for you! I hope you get a positive this month!

AFM: I go back and forth between being convinced that I'm pregnant and convinced that I'm not, as usual. Today's the last school day for the year! That's definitely a great birthday present!

Thanks! I'm not feelin' it though. I'm doing the same as you by going back and forth but mostly on the "not pregnant" side. I don't have any of the symptoms you have so there isn't as much swaying me ;)

#194 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

rs and carmen- fingers crossed for you both. And rs, happy last day of school! My campus is so blissfully quiet right now. LOVE IT.

Outdoorsy- I personally would probably head to an RE at this point, but it's a personal decision. You could at least go to the RE for some testing and interpretation, and still go to your midwife clinic for the IUI if you want.

question- Okay, I know I'm obsessing about this, but how do you all know when you've ovulated? Feeling? Temping? I did my trigger Monday night, and had crazy cramps and pain Tuesday night. I was convinced I was ovulating, but when I had my ultrasound Wednesday morning the follicles were still there. We did our IUI Wednesday morning, at exactly 36 hours post-trigger, and I still felt intensely crampy all day and last night. Today there's some cramping still, though not nearly as bad and just on one side. I'm worried because when I ovulate on my own, I ovulate later than we're timing for with the trigger shot (by 1-3 days). Is it possible that even with the trigger my body just didn't feel ready yet? How effective or strong is the trigger? And, if you're supposed to do an IUI within six hours of ovulation, how do you determine when that is? Even when I used to temp I certainly couldn't pinpoint with that kind of accuracy. Thoughts?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#195 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Angela - I think if you tried to time your IUI for within 6 hours of O you would surely drive yourself crazy.  I don't remember how many follicles you had, but having more can cause more O pain.  Also, in my experience, the trigger shot made that ovary pain last longer than it normally does.  I think it was good that they still saw the follicles there on the u/s.  It's good to have the swimmers at the ready when the egg pops out.  I confirm ovulation by temping and also when I had the most intense O pains.  Take a deep breath.  There's nothing you can do now, but you have info to think about if you have to do this again.  Good luck!

RS- Happy Birthday and fingers crossed for you! 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#196 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Angela, I always have cramping leading up to O not necessarily when I'm O'ing. I confirm O with temping, opk, digital monitor and cm changes. I've never done a trigger or monitoring though. Funny though is that I don't remember having any cramping before or with O when ttc DD....just since my cycles came back after DD's birth.

#197 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Angela- Typically my biggest clues as to when I O'd is my cervix (position, softness) and my CM. I don't get a lot of CM but there are about 12 hours around when I think I would be Oing (based on temps, OPKs & the like) that I have an a lot of EWCM. The other thing that I think helps me may sound a little strange and I am not entirely sure that it is even a sign but it lines up with the other signs every month. My cervix will start getting high and fairly soft a day or so before I get a smiley but then I notice that just the tip of my cervix by the opening will have a hard spot that will appear. It goes away and the whole thing is really soft for about 6-12 hours on the day that I suspect I O and then the first thing I tend to notice is that the hard spot will reappear before the rest of it starts to firm up. I am not sure this makes sense or like I said if it is even a sign that I am in fact ovulating in that time frame when it is totally soft, but it does line right up with my other symptoms. Other than that, temping is a good way for me to know after the fact that I did in fact O on whatever day. Good luck!

Outdoorsy- Do you have an RE lined up or an upcoming appt. with one? I think that if I knew I was going to the RE I would want to wait and not use the sample until I knew everything was good to go. This is one of the reasons that I got all of the lab work done after a few tries. Especially given your history regarding long and anovulatory cycles.

Carmen- I am sorry you are not feeling pregnant. I hope you are doing ok though. My fingers are still crossed for you. 

Rs- My fingers are crossed extra tight for you this cycle. I hope that your "worst fear" will not come true. 

Wherli- Welcome back to this side of things! I am so excited for you and your DP to hear that you are trying to add to your family! Good luck!

Wanna- You are getting close to another TWW- Good luck!

Mrs PP- We did end up ordering. We didn't get our #1 choice but were able to agree on a #2. How did everything turn out with the spotting? Is it still happening? Have you gotten a positive OPK yet?

AFM- Can I be moved to the TWW? We did our insem last night around 33 hours after + OPK. Everything went well. Now we are just waiting.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#198 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Ack so many folks in the TWW!!!!!!

Are we there yet?  Huh, how bout now?  Now?  Hmmm, Now?!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#199 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM

angela -- based on my experiences with a stimulated cycle and a trigger, what you were experiencing sounds pretty normal.  i think we did my last insemination around 37 hours after i triggered, and i remember having some bad cramping about 24 hours later and being really worried that i'd already ovulated.  the pain stopped for a while, but when i went in for the insem the next morning, it had started back up and continued for another couple of hours.  i also had residual pain and soreness for several days (to the point where i was worrying a bit about OHSS).  your timing sounds like it was perfect.  fingersx.gif

outdoorsy -- i just wanted to add my voice to the chorus that is encouraging you to see an RE.  with all your unpredictable cycles, i think you'd be better off working with experts.  i spent nearly a year taking the (awful) advice of a gynecologist who is supposedly a specialist in fertility.  if i hadn't pressed things with her and then ultimately moved on to the lovely belgians, i would never have found out that i had a thin lining, insufficient CM and a blocked fallopian tube, and i wouldn't have started the IUIs or gotten on the magical injectables.  hang in there, gal.... you'll get this figured out.   i'm looking forward to seeing your name over in QP&P soon!  

wave.gif to everyone else, and goodvibes.gifto all you gals in the TWW!

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#200 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Hello All! I've been lurking around for a month or two now while my wife and I have been trying to figure out the logistics of ttc #1. I think we are finally at a place where we will begin as of June and thought I should finally say hello.

I guess I should be in the Waiting to be ready category for now. Thanks!

#201 of 243 Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Hey everyone!!!! 

First off welcome PhotoGirl.. tell us about you and your partner. where are you in your process? Hoping your stay here is Short and Sweet

2nd.. Sorry Ive been MIA.. been a very busy month and Ive been enjoying the med free month! I did not seem to O on my own.. as I expected I would not.. So now Can I be moved to waiting for AF?

Im really behind and can not do all the personals.. but there are a few in my mind sticking out...

Rs FX for you and Happy B day

Krista.. Happy b Day to you as well..and FX for a great IVF cycle coming up!! 

Wehrli.. SO SO exciting for you and DP .. how exciting she wants to carry.. FX for a JULY perfect insem!!!!

Pokey.. Hiya Neighbor...We live so close.. maybe we can meet up at Catos in the near future.. be nice to have local pals going through this process as well... 

AFM.. waiting for AF and then on to meds and a June insem! Ive been enjoying the break and am ready for another cycle

DP is on Metformin now to see if her cycle can be more regular and then she will be insemming in July! We are saving up for that :)

Foster licencing is moving along nicely.. we start our classes next saturday....

in other news. a while back I vented about our close friends who got preg on their 1st try. and they have a little girl who is 18 months.. and I was really upset and just not happy at all.. a part of it was I felt they as a couple were not in a very good space to have another one.... well now they are splitting up..  Mamma is `13 weeks pg and moving out into her own place .. so they are bringing this baby into a really broken home and also putting their 18 mo old through this.. This is why I was so upset. I knew this break up was going to happen eventually.. and they chose to bring another baby into their world.. so the kids will know nothing but this... I feel for the kids.. and this new baby ... growing up in a split home :( 

It is really unfair sometimes... isnt it?  

Night all

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#202 of 243 Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM

Carmen: I hope you're wrong and that you get a surprise BFP!

Angela: I normally pinpoint ovulation by the cramping. Also, keep in mind that ovulation is a process, not a one-shot event. You were probably already ovulating at the office and the follicles just hadn't started collapsing yet. If they had completely collapsed, that would be a bad sign, because it would have meant you would have ovulated several hours before and you might have missed the window.

Hopeful: Good luck!

Photo Girl: Welcome!

Cananny: I hope this cycle is the "one" for you! I'm so glad you're foster licensing is proceeding nicely.

AFM: I had a really great birthday. DW gave me three hummingbird feeders for my garden! She rocks...she had to work late last night, but tonight she's making me a birthday cake and a special dinner.

I'm 12 DPO today and the waiting is starting to get to me. Tick tock, tick tock, am I pregnant or not?

Only one thing marred yesterday. I had to deal with an abuse case at the school. It was bad (at least I considered it bad), but I absolutely know that child services won't don anything about it. It's not "bad enough" for them to get involved. Here's what I don't get. DW and I would really, really like to adopt from foster care someday. We can't. Not in Alabama. Why? For the sole reason that we happen to be lesbians. And yet, straight people who beat and deliberately starve their kids can still keep them because they're considered "proper parents." It drives me mad.

Mother to one dd .
#203 of 243 Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Photo Girl! I hope your stay is short and sweet wave.gif

Cananny: Good to hear you're back with a plan for trying again in June! And I'm really sorry to hear about your friends. It does seem unfair but I believe it's their karma - they have their own path. I hope things turn out for the best for all of them.

rs: I hope you get a BFP this time (one of us has to!)!

Afm: I'm counting myself out and turning my thoughts to the next try. I don't feel pregnant at all, had another bfn @ 12dpo this morning and I'm going to stop the progesterone today. I'm due for a bfp according to the way things have gone for me in the past so hopefully next time does the trick. Next time was supposed to be our last try....

#204 of 243 Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am 32 (nearly 33) and my incredible wife is 29. We have been married (Yay Iowa!) for 1 year now, but we've been together for almost 6 years all together. I can't believe it's been that long really. We are nervous but excited about trying for our first child this summer. I'm going to ttc first since I'm the older one of the two of us. We are both teachers and trying to plan our timing to allow us to have a spring baby (preferably right before school gets out for the summer). We are trying to be realists and know that beginners luck is rare so we would like to start trying in June to get a month under our belts so that hopefully July or August could be lucky. If not, we might put it on hold until next summer. 
As of now, we think we have someone who is going to donate for us which is awesome. He already has a family himself so we know he makes excellent kids :) We are trying to work out the logistics though. He travels a lot, and we think he would be more comfortable donating at a clinic so that his part of the process is somewhat removed from us. So currently we are trying to find a place here in KC that will allow us to store in their clinic without us having to go through medical treatments ( I would like to try on our own a time or two before we go for any medical interventions). So far we have been told no by a few places and have been actively told by one specific place that they don't work with gay people. I have a lead on an RE's office that might work so my fingers are crossed. 
I think that is about it for now. 
#205 of 243 Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 AM

hi and WELCOME, photo girl! i'm threading jumping to comment on your insemination plans.  i saw that you are hoping to use a KD(known donor), and what i understood from your post is that you want him to donate at a clinic and then have his sperm frozen for you to use later.  i know that the laws surrounding the use of donor sperm (including directed donations) are pretty strict, and i think his sperm would have to be quarantined for something like six months and tested before you'd be able to use it.  you *might* be able to make an arrangement with a clinic that would allow you to use his fresh sperm immediately after he donates, but i think most places would be reluctant to agree to this for legal reasons.  here's a link i found:  http://www.prideangel.com/p147/health-screening/Quarantining-frozen-sperm.aspx   of course, i may completely wrong about this (and i'm sure the knowledgeable gals here will correct me if i am), but i just wanted to bring it up so you don't get any rude surprises just when you're ready to start trying.  is there any chance that he'd be willing to forgo the clinic and just donate at your place? 

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#206 of 243 Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just waiting for AF now - hopefully it shows up this weekend. I just asked KD if he'd be willing to do 3 more tries - June, July & August. If I don't get pregnant then I'm calling it off permanently. We've been at this over a year now and with 4 miscarriages and me being 41 now I don't think I can do this for much longer - both emotionally and physically. My DP has dragged her heels in filling out the adoption papers which makes me think she's really not all that interested in that route. If we fill out the papers now it could be 1.5-2 years before we find a good match. So, I said it. If I'm not pregnant by August we'll be a one child family. Which terrifies the hell out of me quite honestly.

#207 of 243 Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

invitnconceptn! You've been awfully quiet for quite some time...any news?!

#208 of 243 Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Photogirl: Using a known donor through a clinic is almost always a no-go unless you have several thousand dollars to shell out and can wait for six months to a year. The law requires you to have all of the same tests performed as any other sperm donor would have done, then you have to wait six months and retest him and the samples for STDs. You have to pay for ALL of it out of pocket and the storage fees besides. The only couple I know who did it paid a little over $10,000 total.

Carmen: *hugs* I hope it works out for you.

AFM: I'm 13 DPO today. If the Red Witch stays away for another 24 hours, I'll get to take a test. I'm almost scared to. I honestly have no idea whether or not I'm pregnant.

Mother to one dd .
#209 of 243 Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have a logistical question...I feel like I've had difficulty getting the goods right near my cervix the last couple of inseminations. I normally have to do the insems myself and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a speculum and mirror and be able to do the insem as well. I found this website: http://www.sisterzeus.com/usingspeculum.html that seems to show a pretty good way to see what is going on but I'm wondering if it would be too awkward to do the insem myself with the speculum in. For those of you who have used a speculum to insem...what do you think? Do you think I could do it myself? I should add I'm not doing IUIs - I just want to get it as close to my cervix opening as possible.

#210 of 243 Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

On the topic of freezing directed donor samples, most sperm banks will do it. There is a way to waive the 6 months quarantine and retest, and we did it. Our donor was moving out of the country and we wanted to freeze samples before he left. We had to sign a waiver and then our donor had to be tested periodically throughout the time he was giving samples- no samples could be given more than a week from a test date. Our samples have been in the freezer almost a year now, but technically we could have used them right away. I'd definitely ask the banks about the ability to waive the quarantine if you'd like to.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page