Would it be okay to join you? (Looking for trans community and support) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure where to post, but could use some community and support.  I found out recently that my youngest sibling, who is only slightly older than my oldest child, and is like one of my own, is transgendered.  I didn't want to crash anyone's thread, and I am still not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post in.  I don't see a forum for Queer Families, though, so my apologies in advance if there is somewhere else I should put this.  I have encouraged my sibling to join MDC, because of this forum, but didn't want people to ignore threads created by a new user. 

I am having a hard time finding resources for myself and my sibling.  Most of what I know about transgender issues actually comes  from this forum.  I have a 16 month old, and I live in an area that is not accepting of LGBT individuals.  There is no local group that I can attend, and I just would feel more comfortable here, with like minded people, if that is okay?

If you don't mind me being here, I look forward to getting to know you!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM

you are most welcome here, though it's unfortunate (for you and your situation) that we dont have a "Queer Families" thread. most of us are TTC, pregnant or parenting as queer but that doesn't mean a new thread can't be made! or if you have specific questions or need advice, you might just create a thread for that specific thing.

i thank you, on behalf of the queer community, for being supportive! smile.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi there! I was thinking about your post--although you don't say how old your sibling is, I thought this might be an interesting article for you:
http://www.autostraddle.com/19-terribly-interesting-tips-on-raising-a-trans-kids-from-a-trans-kids-136384/

As Wehrli said, we're all happy to talk, though some of us probably don't have tons of experience, we all know what it's like to be different.
smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#4 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I just saw this book.  It's written by an expert on queer conceptions and parenting.  It might be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Transgender-Child-Handbook-Professionals/dp/1573443182/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#5 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I just typed a huge response and lost the whole damn thing!!!  UGH!  I will try again later, but I wanted to thank those of you who have responded. 

prettyisa: the sibling is my 20 yo sister, who wishes to become male.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM

You should check out TransActive: http://www.transactiveonline.org/index.php

It's a Portland, Oregon based group for transgendered youth and their families. There's lots of good information on their site, and it's a great starting point to find further info. I know the woman who runs it, and she's incredible--regularly wins kudos and accolades for the amazing community service she is providing (to people all over the country!).

And I second/third everyone else--welcome!

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#7 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

AmyPDX: Thank you!  I had not yet seen that resource!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page