Sperm Shipment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

We will be doing an in office IUI and I can not seem to get an idea as to WHEN the sperm should ship.

If I wait until the OPK is positive, that'd be too late.

Any ideas?  Thanks

#2 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi MrsNguyen - Could you please be more specific?  Are they shipping to you or to the office?  Is it fresh or frozen?  Does the office have storage or will you just be using a nitrogen tank that lasts a few days?  There are other signs that you are getting close to ovulating.  Do you check your cervical mucus or position?  Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!  I wanted to get a response before I gave specifics, as some of these chat groups are non-functioning.

I am a 39 y.o. female who will be doing a physician assisted IUI in her office using frozen sperm.  

I have been checking mucus and using an OPK.  I will have the sperm shipped directly to me and bring it to the MD office.

My question is what information do I use to determine sperm shipment date?  It seems if I use my positive OPK I will be too late.

Any ideas on where to find the information and resources?  I also don't know many of the acronyms used??

Thanks

#4 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

First, call your doctor and see if they can store it. If so, you won't have anything to worry about; you can order the sperm whenever you like.

If that's not possible, you will need to order it at least three days before you expect to get a positive OPK. The tank is good for seven days, but you lose one or two to shipping. I'm afraid a bit of guesswork is involved. Our RE stores our samples, so we have them shipped in well in advance.

Mother to one dd .
#5 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM

We're using fresh sperm and were told we could ask it to be shipped overnight the day my wife tests positive for the LH surge.  AKA my wife will test on Monday morning, it's positive, we'll call and ask the sperm to be shipped overnight ASAP, it will get in the mail by Monday afternoon, we'll have it by Tuesday morning, and we'll do IUI as soon as we get it. 

C (26) and S (27) and our little N, born June 18, 2013
#6 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 06:02 PM

I typed out a long answer and my phone ate it. Grrr!

In brief, have you used OPKs in previous cycles? Time the tank to arrive a day or two before the earliest day you might expect a positive.

Also, you're in Oakland, right? You could use the Sperm Bank of CA and pick up right in Berkeley, no shipping. We use them and love them.

Finally, the sperm will stay frozen a week in the tank, and you can have the tank recharged if time is running out and you haven't ovulated yet.

Good luck and welcome! It's a stressful process. Feel free to check in for advice/support.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#7 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Welcome.gif  I'm in Oakland too and so is one other person on the Queer TTC site.  Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#8 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I am glad to get connections!  :)

#9 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM

In our case our doctors office wants the sperm to be at their office by the time I start my cycle. They also ask that we have it shipped overnight. The overnight shipping seems like it would work for you but for me I would be too worried something would happen and I would miss a cycle to try!

Good luck!

Me (27) and DW (33) TTC #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page