Going the distance..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My partner and I are planning on starting at home IUI in August. I am wandering how many tries that it took couples who have been successful with at home insemenations? Also are there any resources that you could direct me to that might be beneficial?

Thank you for sharing!!

#2 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi and welcome, BlueDaisy!

My wife and I conceived on our fifth attempt at home, no medications, no doctors. We did two inseminations each cycle. We attempted to do IUIs, but I was unable to get the catheter advanced far enough to accomplish that most of the time. The successful cycle was an ICI cycle.

Many of us here use Stephanie Brill's guide to Lesbian Conception (sorry, I can't remember exactly the title!).

Also, I'll recommend joining into the Queer Conceptions thread, that is where the day-to-day happenings of other families trying to conceive happens, and they are full of support and good information.

Good luck to you!

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#3 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Welcome BlueDaisy!  Are you planning on doing IUI or ICI at home?  Like Desert hinted at, IUI is a bit more difficult to do yourself if you are not trained.  We have done IUI at home with a midwife who comes to our house and does it for us.  Are you using fresh or frozen?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

We are using frozen. Planning on trying IUI ourselves. My DP has medical background so I am hoping we can be able to do IUI if not then we will switch to ICI. I have been tracking my BBT but had a clinical consultation with the bank today and they said that I need to use an OPK for 2 months so that I can be sure. So that is why we have pushed back our first start cycle to august.

#5 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM

Ok.  There are some older threads on here about at-home IUI. They have links to the websites that sell the catheters and syringes.  It's easy to buy a speculum too if you don't already have one.  The book Desert recommended is a great resource for this process, but it won't tell you exactly how to do an IUI.  If you could find a nurse or midwife to show you how to do it, that would be great.  Are you tracking anything besides BBT?  That will only tell you after you have already ovulated, not before.  Tracking the cervical position and mucus really help predict along with the OPK.  Most people do the IUI around 24-36 hours after a positive OPK.  Practicing the OPK's with tracking can be useful because they can be confusing.  I use a digital one because the ones with the lines confuse me.  Good luck to you and DP!

Here's an article I found that might be a little useful.  Also try searching on this website for discussions.

http://theivp.com/ladybusiness/?p=12

#6 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM

#1 ICI frozen x 3
#2 ICI fresh x 2
#3 ICI frozen x 3 attempts, IUI on 4th try
#4 ICI frozen x 2 attempts, IUI x 2 with ultrasound and HCG trigger shot

It's been eons and I don't remember any resources. Our banks didn't ask questions about OPKs but by our 4th tries they asked if we were going to go medicated or look into why it was taking so long.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#7 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM

It took me six cycles of at-home IUIs with frozen sperm to get my daughter. I also got pregnant the first cycle I tried, but then miscarried. If I hadn't gotten pregnant the first time (and thus known that I could), I probably would have gone to a doctor around cycle 4.

Now I'm TTC again, and found that I'm much less invested in doing it at home. We tried once at home, and are now on our second cycle of IUIs with clomid and a trigger shot through the RE's office. (I'm also almost 36 now, as opposed to a youthful 30 past time around, and have insurance now that pays for the doctor's visits, which I didn't before. These things also influenced my decision to move to a clinic sooner rather than later.)

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#8 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Totally recommend the Guide to Lesbian Conception, referenced above.  We inseminated at home and that book was very helpful.

We used frozen sperm - shipped to our home, no medical professionals, no medication, etc.

It took 5 attempts the first time - we were on our 3rd donor by the 5th attempt.

It worked on the first attempt the second time - honestly, I feel a big part of this (beyond good timing, statistics, good sperm, etc.) is just KNOWING your body.  It takes some dedication to take your temp at the same time every day for months, and to track all the things that can be tracked.  But if it's going to work for you, I think that dedication pays off.  I really got to know my body/cycle and trusted what I felt was happening - I totally credit that with our first successful attempt for baby #2.

Good luck!

#9 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM

I forgot to mention Maia Midwifery.  The midwife there does consultations by email and phone and I think she may also do some teleconference type classes.  Here is their website.  http://maiamidwifery.com/  The founders of Maia Midwifery wrote the book we keep mentioning, and the current midwife contributed to the book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page