Queer Conceptions June 2012 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 190 Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Angela: I think it really depends on you. How confident do you feel pinpointing ovulation? I don't like docs/nurses that solely want to rely on OPKs for indication. Not all OPKs work for all people and in any situation, you should have back up confirmation as to impending O. Also, *most* women are supposed to ovulate 24-36 hours after trigger but as I found for myself, I don't ovulate for up to 70 hours after. So for me, triggers weren't always the best. For our three pregnancies, we used the trigger twice and didn't use it the third time so obviously knowing my body was the most important part of the equation.

Potential negatives to trigger: your egg is immature. May not be a big concern though if you're getting an ultrasound and feeling good about it.

Potential positive: trigger shots plump the lining so if you're lining isnt' ideal or is on the edge of perfect, than it could play a role. Also, triggers help to better time you for the office you're using for the IUI.If they don't work 24/7 then they would prefer to trigger you and fit you in during business hours. (this can also be seen as a negative!)

Best of luck!

me (40) DP (47) TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 6 at home w/ fresh
Short luteal phase, septum resection in Sept 2011
Jan 2011 a BFP! Try #11 angel.gif 8w2d (blighted ovum)
April 2011 BFP! Try #12 angel.gif 9w2d (no heartbeat)

Nov 2011 BFP! Try #14 angel.gif 8w0d (twins, no heartbeat)

June 2012 -- Moving onto IVF with PGD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 190 Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 PM

I'll be back for personals but just wanted to say that copious amounts of ewcm showed up today and we did our first insem tonight! Still negative on the opks so I'm feeling better about our timing not being too late. Insem tomorrow and Sunday....here we go!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#63 of 190 Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Enjoy your break, Angela!

rose: Wow, "unjobing" sounds like a fun thing to do! Enjoy the time together :)

wannabmom: How are you doing? Have you tested again?

outdoorsy: Isn't beautiful cervix a great site?! So interesting. Have you surged yet? I think we'll be cycle buddies....

Cananny: Good to hear from you here! Glad to hear you're enjoying your break.

Afm: CD14, another high on the monitor so I guess I'll peak tomorrow...which means O will likely be Monday not Sunday. We'll still go ahead today and tomorrow as KD has already committed to it but hopefully I O early Monday as I don't think we can fit in another insem!

#64 of 190 Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Quiet here this weekend! We did our third insem this afternoon. Funny story, the house that DP rents out is really close to where KD lives. It's empty right now so we've been doing the insems there for convenience for KD. Last night she got a call from some prospective tenants to see the house at 1:30pm. KD was supposed to drop by at noon and I texted him this morning to say it had to be fast because there were people coming to see the house. Well, he didn't get the text until 12:10 - he had just woken up! He literally got dressed and drove over in 5 minutes, with about 20 minutes to spare before renters got there....so dedicated! lol

I haven't had a peak on the monitor yet. This happened once before but I got pregnant that cycle so I'm not completely concerned. However, it's still a bit unnerving. I had a positive opk yesterday and a VERY dark positive opk this morning. ewcm has lined up too. I'll see what my temp does but I'm fairly certain I'll O tomorrow. I was expecting to O today originally which is why we set up Fri, Sat and Sun as insem days. I don't have the heart to ask KD for a "delivery" tomorrow as well so we'll have to call it done now regardless. So, I can be moved to 2WW!

#65 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Carmen, sending you extra strong baby dust! Hoping that this is the cycle for you and #2. goodvibes.gifdust.gifgoodvibes.gifdust.gif

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#66 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Carmen: GOOD LUCK! joy.gif It sounds like you have a great KD, I hope this time is the one for you and your DP.

AFM: I am 14DPO so thinking that the BFN this morning is probably accurate greensad.gif but I'm still holding on to some hope. I have a question about HPT and cycle length. Although today is 14DPO for me, AF is not expected for another 6 days. When I was looking up HPT accuracy I think it was a lot more accurate the day of or day before you are supposed to get AF, so while 14DPO may be accurate for women with shorter cycles, is it less accurate for me? Or, regardless of cycle length, are the hormones supposed to be there by 14DPO if you are pregnant? Can anyone help me with this?

#67 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Carmen - Yay for a triple insem! That's such a huge upside of a KD. Sounds like with the ewcm and opk, you should be all set on predicting O and not worry too much about the monitor, especially since you got pregnant once before when that happened. This sounds like a great month for you. I hope you get your BFP!

Wannabmom - I'm glad not to be the only long-cycle girl on here! But I'm a little surprised to hear you say that on 14 DPO, you're not expecting your period for another six days. The "normal" luteal phase length is 10-16 days. When you have a long cycle, it's the time before O that's longer, generally not the time afterward. So that could be a problem for you, but I don't want to freak you out. Maybe your period will come earlier. You might want to look into this and check to make sure your luteal phase is OK. Re the HPT thing you originally asked about, I do think waiting past 14 DPO is smart for people with longer cycles, but I haven't read much about whether long cycles cut your odds of a BFP at 14 DPO. I hope everything is OK with you!

AFM - CD 20 and still awaiting the surge. I've had them as late as CD 26, so I'm not panicking yet. Plus, when I got my CD 10 bloodwork results, the midwife said I should get a "nice strong surge" this month. As for the chance that Clomid could shorten my cycle, that apparently didn't happen. So Carmen, I'm a little behind you, but I'd certainly be glad to be cycle buddies! I have taken to viewing my cervix every few days. A couple of times I've joked to wifey that "it's time for a good old-fashioned cervix viewing," just to lighten the mood. My cervix has actually gotten more closed and firm since I started viewing it early in the cycle, but I figure it was probably more open at the beginning because AF had just finished. My CM is milky. So I'm still here waiting for changes in cervix, CM, and opk, but I feel like tracking the cervix (which took a while to get used to) has made me feel more relaxed about waiting for the surge. Now as I long as I actually get the surge and the physical changes, I'll have a shot this month!

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#68 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM

WannaBe: Outdoorsy hit the nail on the head. You may not be pinpointing your ovulation correctly which would explain not being pregnant. Your luteal phase rarely changes (maybe a day on one side or the other) and most luteal phases are 14 days long. So how confident do you feel that you've properly pinpointed your ovulation? The accuracy rate is based on luteal phase average so by DPO14, the accuracy rate is very high because most women will have gotten their period by now. Hope that makes sense. Ask away if it doesn't or give us a link to your chart to help confirm your ovulation date.

In looking back at your posts where you were questioning your temp rise and fall, it sounds like you could be annovulatory. Your RE should help to confirm that you did ovulate when you thought you did. In annovulatory cycles your body gears up and acts like it's going to ovulate, but then it doesn't. It falls back and then tries again. In some women it can take many, many days before they actually ovulate which gives them extremely long cycles. In others, by the second time the body gears up, they ovulate and so then their total cycle may be slightly longer than the average 28 days. If you're have cycles longer than 28 days and they aren't always the same length (more or less) you should be looking at getting confirmation that you are ovulating. PCOS is often a reason why and the rate of PCOS in lesbians is higher than the average population.

#69 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I did realize the extra long time between O and AF (rather than CD1 and O) was a bit unusual. This is my fourth month tracking ovulation by using OPK, and only my first with temps. According to the OPKs I ovulate right around CD 10 each month, and my cycle is regularly 32-33 days. So everything seems to be the same month to month, just a bit odd. And my temps this month kept increasing at slow intervals after my O, and the nurse that did our IUI said my CM looked perfect. So all of the signs seem to be there. To me I would like for it to "make sense" and be logical in my head, but I kinda gave up on that.

I think in a few days I will call and talk to the nurses and ask about the length of my luteal phase, whether or not that is something they see somtimes, and maybe talk to my doctor again about clomid/ultrasounds. My doctor said we'd look into that after 3 unsuccessful tries, but not getting pregnant sucks! Part of me just wants to increase my odds.

Outdoorsy: Good luck! Hope the surge comes soon so that you can move forward!

#70 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Wanna: I think you're on the right track. Ovulating on CD10 is pretty early and having a luteal phase of 21-23 days is not possible. So there is definitely something off there. If you actually had that long of a luteal phase, you would have one hell of a period because your lining would be so thick and shedding itself would take well more than a few days before it geared up for ovulation. If you want to increase your odds, you need to make sure you're pinpointing ovulation. You are most likely ovulating more like CD18/19. Have you read Stephanie Brill's book "The Guide to Lesbian Conception?" It's a great way to learn how to pinpoint ovulation using the method of "when three signs line up." Good for you to temp. I get concerned about depending just on OPKs as they don't always work for everyone. Best of luck. We'll be looking forward to hearing the report.

#71 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM

just popping in to weigh-in on Wanna's ovulation.... have you continued testing after the "positive" test ~CD10? it's very common to have an "almost surge" and even get somewhat fertile mucous days before your actual positive OPK. mine almost always came close o positive around CD11 but I always ovulated on CD17. perhaps you should continue with the OPKs for a cycle or two, along with temping maybe things will become more clear. g/l!

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#72 of 190 Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Hi everyone!  I'm new here and nervously thinking about TTC starting later this summer/early Fall.  My DW and I have a DD, Rowan, born last Fall (DW was birth mom and a member of this forum -- julietea).  After 7 1/2 months of joy, sleeplessness, and getting to know DD, I'm finding some time to think about my own potential conception journey.  My DW's pregnancy and birth was all very amazing, and she was very much a "natural" at it.  While that was so wonderful for us, I can't help but be a little nervous about my own journey and wonder whether it will live up to her amazing experience.  I've always been interested in carrying, but as a butch-ishwoman, someone with a demanding career, and some physical worries, it just hasn't been something I've shared very openly about for fear of quizzical looks.  DW is super supportive, though, and recommended this space as somewhere that may help me center myself -- in between taking care of our little one -- for my own TTC journey.  Looking forward to hearing all of your stories!  smile.gif

#73 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 AM

Welcome, madronedw! This is definitely a place where you will get support. No quizzical looks here!

Wanna - I second what justrose said about continuing to test past your early surge. The same thing has happened to me, and then the real surge and ovulation occur later. It's also worth gathering a little more information through temping, your doc, etc. You're relatively young and (if I recall) haven't been trying very long, so those things are on your side. It takes time to make sure you know your ovulation well.

AFM - Very disappointing high temp this morning, up 5 tenths to 98.38. Still no surge. I suppose I might have missed it, but I didn't have any ewcm and my cervix didn't seem to line up, either. I don't want to waste a Clomid cycle! #$%&!!!!!! Still hoping I'll surge, but it doesn't look good. I used both the digital and the cheapies, and the lines have actually gotten lighter without really turning positive. Maybe I'm just having a long cycle like Wanna with a small LH peak before the real surge, but at this late date, I don't know. My cervix looks closed.

#74 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 AM

Welcome, madronedw smile.gif How exciting! You and DP are brave to start TTC so soon winky.gif Have you been tracking your cycles at all?

outdoorsy: Is it the clomid that makes you O later?

Afm: I had a good temp jump today indicating I did indeed O yesterday but DD was snuggled up REALLY close all night and she's a little hot water bottle so I'll wait until tomorrow to make sure it stays up before starting the progesterone. I was feeling really good about this cycle but not getting the peak has brought me down several notches....I'm not terribly hopeful. I have a really busy 2 weeks though so at least I will be distracted during the 2WW. Off to acupuncture tonight.

#75 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM

Carmen - Sorry to hear you're not feeling hopeful. I hope the temp stays up. Regarding me and Clomid, this is my first cycle taking it, so I don't really know yet how I respond to it, but the midwife said it could cause my O to happen earlier, not later. That's adding to my worry that I might have missed it, but I started checking signs and opk at CD 10, which for me was the first day after the Clomid (they recommended Clomid on days 5-9 for me because of my long cycles).

#76 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the input! It gives me a little more to think about and some ideas to talk about with my doctor.

Today is 15DPO and with another BFN I've lost hope this cycle. We're going to take a break this month and hopefully will try again in July. Good luck everyone!

Pokey: Could you move me to taking a break? Thank you!

#77 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM

outdoorsy -- clomid definitely made me O later than normal, and i think it's a pretty common response.  also, i don't think you should be doing OPKs so close to your final dose.  i think you're supposed to wait at least 3 days, because the clomid can skew the results.  if you don't get it sorted this month, you should see if they will let you do an u/s with a trigger.  hang in there! *hugs*

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#78 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Carmen - I'm sorry you are getting mixed signals regarding your O.  I hope the monitor was just wrong and that you did everything right this cycle in spite of it.  I hope the TWW goes by quickly and smoothly.

Outdoorsy - I'm sorry you are also getting confusing messages from your body.  I hope it is just a late O that you haven't caught yet.  The CM and position are very important indicators, and they may start to line up soon.  The OPK's can be so annoying!  I feel your frustration.  I second Nosreves on the u/s and trigger idea for next time.  I don't think everyone needs that, but if your body is not ovulating on its own regularly, it could help.

Wannab - I'm sorry about your BFN.  I hope the month off is restful and productive.  Maybe you will get a better sense of charting and your cycle while also taking some of the pressure off.

madronedw -Welcome.gif  Howdy neighbor!  I am in Oakland too.  We look forward to getting to know you.  I hope your stay here is short and sweet.  Have you checked out Maia Midwifery?  The next classes on fertility and timing aren't until September, but they can be a great resource.  They do private consultations too.  Maybe you already know all about them since you already have one DD.  I can understand not feeling comfortable talking about TTC with people you know in real life.  As queer women we don't get a lot of that pressure that straight couples get, "When are you gonna have kids"?  But that can be a missed opportunity too because we don't get the chance to talk about how we do want to have kids.  Some people assume we won't or that we will adopt.  I'm sure as a butch-ish woman it can be even harder.  The way you look doesn't dictate how you feel inside.

AFM- Still hanging out here.  Now and then I have felt some pressure around my ovaries so I am hoping I have a couple good follicles.  I started the OPK's and they are negative so far which is good.  I go to the doctor tomorrow for the ultrasound so we should have a plan in place shortly thereafter.  I know it's unrealistic but I really hope the timing works out well this week.  Mostly because I don't want to have to pick up the swimmers in a tank because it's more expensive and I will have to miss more work to take it back to the bank.  I would really like to be able to pick up with dry ice.  It was a lot easier when my wife had her old job and she could do the runs to the bank.  Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.  I don't have to pay for shipping.  Today I go to the dentist for a cleaning and filling.  It should be pretty easy.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#79 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Pokey & Madrone: if you couldn't tell by my avatar, fellow Oaklander here! Maia Midwifery is awesome.

AFM: starting my meds for my one (and only) IVF cycle with pre genetic diagnosis this Friday. After 3 miscarriages and lots of testing, I'm ready to just get this done and move on. We won't actually know a pregnancy outcome until probably August as we are freezing any good embryos and doing a frozen embryo transfer so we still have a long ways to go.

#80 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Krista!  I knew you were in the area, but I wasn't sure where.  Howdy neighbor!  Is that picture of you by Lake Merritt?  Good luck with the IVF.  It's one more cycle of waiting and waiting and not knowing, but it is a step forward no matter what happens. 

Maybe we should do a Bay Area get together sometime.  We have a few more folks in the neighborhood on here now.  What do y'all think?

#81 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Krista--I am so excited for you!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#82 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM

There are a few of us here that are Bay Area Babes. We tried awhile ago to get something together and there was a brief moment in a park but then it fizzled. I think it's always good to try so if people are interested they can shoot me an email at caliblondieus at yahoo.com and I will try to coordinate something.

Yes, that's me at the columns of Lake Merritt trying to look City Council-official for my future endeavors!

Thanks, Lisedea. I'm getting a little more excited although I'm mostly nerve wracked.

#83 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

God I hate OPK's!  I just got a smiley face on the digital and a negative on the internet cheapie.  My other signs are not lining up.  This happened last time.  I pulled out the stick on the digital and it was a smear of blue, not real line, but it doesn't usually have a strong line anyway.  AAaarrrrggghhh!  Rant over.  I'll test again this evening and see what it says.

#84 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Coming out of lurkdom to wish much luck to Krista.

Our DD is the result of one IVF cycle with PGD. SOOOOO helpful to do the PGD after 4 successive losses. I really think it made all the difference. Hoping the same is the case for you.

Would love to know more about the choice to freeze and then transfer later....but only if you feel like sharing. Really it's just curiosity.

Good luck with the drug cocktail. My wife was amazing with all of that. I would have been a puddle as a needle hater....

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#85 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Megin: good to see you. I'm not necessarily doing FET with the cycle by choice. At this point in the PGD game, the leading scientists are doing PGD on 5/6 day embryos. Rather than trying to turn the genetic test results back and push the embryo any further than it's already been pushed, they freeze it, wait for the test results and then do the FET. I know there is some argument as to whether FET is better than fresh and that studies show fresh has a higher success rate, but this is what my doctor prefers to do. She says that so far, she has had success with patients in this regards and feels like if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think there are some doctors that will biopsy at Day 5, wait for test results and then do a fresh transfer but it's a small percentage of the industry right now. And nowadays, doing a biopsy on Day 5 is turning out to provide more realistic and reliable results than Day 3.

I'm assuming with your PGD that you did a fresh transfer because they were doing the biopsy at Day 3?

Krista

#86 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Thank you for the hugs, nosreves! And to pokey for the well wishes. It was great to hear that Clomid can delay O -- what a relief! I had never heard that. I hope that's what's happening. I'm waiting (a little nervously) for tomorrow's temp. As for the u/s and trigger, they are probably the next step, but I will have to switch to an RE, so that's why I haven't already tried them. We already had a vial waiting at the midwife's, so we're staying there for this cycle.

Krista, I will be thinking of you as you get ready for your IVF cycle. I hope it works!!!

AFM - After work, I went to the store and bought: a Father's Day card, two boxes of opks (one digital, one cheapie strips), and some fabulous bakery-type cookies. ahhhh..... feeling a little more hopeful.

#87 of 190 Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgulbransen View Post

AFM: starting my meds for my one (and only) IVF cycle with pre genetic diagnosis this Friday. After 3 miscarriages and lots of testing, I'm ready to just get this done and move on. We won't actually know a pregnancy outcome until probably August as we are freezing any good embryos and doing a frozen embryo transfer so we still have a long ways to go.

How exciting! Keep us updated if you can :)

#88 of 190 Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM

My temp didn't go up any higher this morning - in fact, it went down a bit. Ugh. I'm feeling like maybe I didn't ovulate at all?? A crappy cycle is NOT what I need right now....

#89 of 190 Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Krista, I'm wishing you the best! I know you have a few months ahead of you, but I'll be thinking of you through the summer, and sending lots of strong baby vibes your way. I hope this is it!

Carmen, ugh, I hope that the signs were out of whack, but that it was a good, fertile month with great timing. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

Outdoorsy, Pokey, and everyone else... FX for successful insems, perfect timing, strong swimmers, and good eggs. We're well overdue for a BFP in this group, so it's gotta be just around the corner.

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#90 of 190 Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Carmen -- so sorry to hear that! I hope it doesn't mean anything. Temps can be crazy-making. I am rooting for you! smile.gif

My temp went up a couple hundredths this morning. Up is NOT what I was looking for. My temp is higher than it normally is before ovulation. I really hope I haven't already O'd. I've heard Clomid can raise temps, but I thought that was mostly on the days you take the pills.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page