known donor....and home IUI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hello,

i was considering doing at home insemination (just inserting at the cervix) but once i started doing research I started seeing a few post about doing IUI at home.

have any of you tried this? how did it turn out?...could people have been calling it an IUI but meaning AI? or is it really possible to do IUI?

also im using a known donor and would like to do sperm washing...is there any service i can use besides going to a fertility clinic? or is it my only option?

thank you

#2 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi Krazy!  Welcome.gif

It is possible to do IUI at home.  We have a midwife do it for us.  It's possible that you or your partner could learn how, but you should really have someone experienced show you how to do it.  You need to keep everything clean and be very steady and be careful not to poke the uterus.  It is not super easy.  Also, you can only do IUI with washed sperm.  If you used unwashed, it's dangerous and causes cramping.  I'm pretty sure you would only be able to get the sperm washed by a doctor's office or a fertility clinic.  I know there are folks on here who know more about it than I do, but legally it would be difficult if not impossible, depending on where you are, to have a clinic wash sperm for you from a known donor.  They normally only do it if the donor is a sexual partner-like a boyfriend or husband.  There are serious legal issues with a clinic using fresh sperm from a known donor.  I've heard some clinics may do it but illegally.  Sorry to be such a downer.

On the bright side, doing ICI at home is super easy!  If you don't have any fertility issues to consider that make IUI necessary, ICI is your best bet.  You might want to have your donor get a sperm analysis first though.  Some folks on here have worked with known donors who turned out to be infertile after months of trying.  Good luck to you!  Feel free to join us over in Queer Conceptions for more support in TTC.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Seconding what Pokey said about known donors and clinics and the absolute need to have a washed sample for IUI. We did at-home IUI (without guidance from a professional), and have a nearly-11 month old as a result!

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#4 of 9 Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM

If you have a known donor why would you want to ruin the sperm by washing it.  That fresh stuff can live like 5 days in your mucus.  I would just insert it and let it do what sperm has been doing since the beginning of time.  You could always use an instead cup and keep it close to your cervix that way.

#5 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM

I second what Pokey said.  We are one of the sets who discovered our KD had a 100% abnormal morphology after trying with him for almost a year.  We thought we had got it checked out previously, but KD's family doctor didn't include a morphology.  It was HEARTBREAKING, because we put EVERYTHING on hold to TTC for a year, and now we have to TTC while also continuing on with our lives (DW has to go back to school, she has to work and TTC, I just work a lot).  

Also, there are lots of mamas on here whose little ones were conceived at home with fresh sperm and didn't require washing.  We didn't wash ours, we just squirted it in (not even ICI) and let it do it's thing.  We're pretty sure it was doing it's thing, but repeatedly early miscarrying because of the abnormal embryo. 

Cheers!

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#6 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Hi Amy and Pokey, since you have experience with home IUI I am wondering, do you think it's possible to do an ICI (or IUI) on oneself w/out a partner? I am using a donor from a sperm bank, so the sperm is already washed (like it or not)... I would like to get it at least into the cervix, do you have any tips (for example, what exactly should you do to "keep it clean")? There are no midwives in my area, and I am really fed up with doctors... So I want to try at home & want to get as much info as possible before I try it - any advice you have is welcome! Also, does anyone know where I can get a catheter? Thanks!!
#7 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Hi Luz--This will probably be a long answer.  You can order tomcat catheters online.  There have been old threads with links to the websites.  I don't recall the names.  I would recommend looking through some of the older threads on here to find some other conversations about this.

IUI by yourself would be very difficult unless you are incredibly coordinated or have 3 hands.  You have to insert a speculum, have light aimed at the cervix, look into a mirror, and insert the catheter into your cervix, without touching the sides of your vagina, up into the uterus while trying not to poke the sides of the uterus. Being clean means using a sterile syringe and catheter and a clean speculum, wearing gloves, and not touching the catheter to the sides of the vagina on your way in because you don't want to introduce any outside germs into the uterus.  You also can't use regular lube, but you can use Preseed or something like grapeseed oil.  

ICI by yourself would be rather simple.  I think other people on here have done ICI at home with IUI-ready vials and gotten pregnant.  You wouldn't want to use a speculum for this because when you pulled it out some of the sperm might go with it.  You would just need to get the sperm right on the cervix.  I haven't done this myself, but I think it might be a good idea to use Preseed to give the swimmers a nice medium for swimming since they have been washed.  Have you read Stephanie Brill's book on Lesbian Conception?  I don't remember, but it might have some info on doing ICI at home.  Where are you located?

Good luck to you!  Feel free to join us over in the Queer Conceptions group where there are lots of folks going through the same thing.

#8 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks for your input (I love long answers!) smile.gif I am in the Coachella Valley (California) - a sad and expensive place to try to be doing this! I was going to a RE in Irvine - although the doctor and his staff were quite pleasant, it's a 4-hour round trip and ends up being fairly inconvenient, not to mention how much more difficult it makes it to get the timing right! I will check out that book... thumb.gif 

#9 of 9 Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

http://www.thespermbankofca.org/content/how-inseminate

Here is some info from the bank we use.

Is this midwife near you?  Maybe she would have a reference for someone who would come to your home for IUI.

http://www.revelationmidwifery.com/default.htm

I hope everything works out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page