Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 641 Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Lise, keep taking the progesterone until/unless the doc says otherwise (DW has to stay on it through week 13, I was on it through week 13 as well w/ DS)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#302 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
hi everyone! Congrats on all these awesome betas and exciting multiple pregnancies! smile.gif

I'm in DC while DP is at a conference. Due to some strange circumstances my mom ended up being in town, too (and my sister might show up at some point before we leave, also), so I get to have the little tour of her childhood haunts that I've been begging for for years now. My 90 year old great uncle is out at babiesrus buying EJ a present as I type (you can't convince him not to. We tried). and we get to go and see all the other aunties and cousins later today. I wish I had some reason (and job!) to live out here--this city has always felt like home somehow.

Anyway, I've been thinking of all of you! I'm hoping for healthy, happy embryos and too-good-to-be-true deals on non-lemon minivans all over the country!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#303 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

lisedea!  So exciting!  And yes, I'd keep taking the progesterone.  I was on it for both pregancies until the LMP 12 week date (10 pregnant weeks).  I'm thrilled for you!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#304 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

knitting -- i don't think i ever welcomed you over to this side of MDC Queerdom wave.gif.  congrats on the twins, btw.  i hope you're getting over the initial shock and starting to envisage a future filled with three LOs.  is the m/s still really bad?  and have you managed to avoid the temptation of the insidious waffle fries?  let me know what your EDD is so i can add your name to the front page!

wishin -- welcome to you, as well!  how's your DW feeling?  i know you're due in May, but do you have an EDD that i can put up for you?

lisedea -- WOOOHOOOO!!!jumpers.gif it's great to see you over here!  btw, those three bouncy things are just about expressing my joy at your joining the room (and not about jumping to any conclusions about those betas winky.gif.)  my betas were similar to yours (453 at 13dpo and 1754 at 16dpo), and i was initially pregnant with twins, so maybe you're going to join the current multiple streak.  then again, Cananny's trio weren't evident from her hcgs and plenty of others have had high betas with singletons ....so you never know.  whatever the case, here's to a happy and healthy 9 months! and, oh yeah, i stayed on the progesterone until i was at 12 weeks.  

cananny --  i was happy to hear that all three LOs are doing well.  how cool that it's only three more weeks til you're in the 2nd trimester! are you having any morning sickness or other symptoms besides the fatigue?  how long are you going to be able to keep working?  and what happened with the duplex you were hoping to get?

seraf -- i had yet another dream about you and your brood last night...it involved trying to fold massive sheets that belonged to you guys all by myself.  i have no clue what it all means except that maybe you need help with laundry??  

isa -- where in DC are you?  i spent the last two years of high school and a couple years of my adult life in that area.  i always loved going down to the District to hang out (especially to Adams Morgan for Ethiopian food...om nom).  

if anyone else needs to be added to the list on the first page, please let me know!

afm...  i'm readjusting to the cold, rainy Parisian weather after our six-day trip to sunny Spain.  we were in a little town on the Mediterranean coast very close to my old, beloved home of Barcelona (where DP and i met!)  i am having huge problems with what i think is SPD, and that coupled with the ankle and calf swelling i get every time i walk for more than 15 minutes made the trip a lot more "restful" than i'm used to.  i had been hoping to drive to explore some little villages and go into BCN to visit friends and walk around a bit in my old stomping ground.  instead, we swam in the sea and the pool, rented a car and drove to a Buddhist monastery up in the hills and ate lots and lots of good food.  DP didn't mind at all that we didn't do much, and she promised me we'd go back to Barcelona after the LO's born.  she considers it a hardship that we didn't have our yearly month-long vacation abroad (i know, cry me a river...), but she's happily saving her leave for when the baby comes, and she's also appeased by the fact that we're going to spend next summer's vacation in the very child/baby-friendly Tuscan village where we rented a cottage last year.  

tomorrow i reach 26 weeks, and i also have to go to my GP and ask him to give me an arrêt de travail (a paper putting me on long-term sick leave).  my midwife told me last month that she doesn't want me teaching when i'm having this much trouble with pain and mobility.  at this point, i can't even imagine dealing with the métro (where no one seems to let pregnant women sit down) and all the stairs and walking followed by hours of standing i'd have to do for the job.  DP seems to think it's perfectly normal for me not to have to work when i'm having such a hard time, but i can't help but feel guilty about it.  i wouldn't even have this option back home, so it feels like cheating somehow.  the evils of socialized medicine are finally getting to me...

the little viking is living up to his nickname these days.  he's kicking and moving like crazy, and it's fun to watch my stomach shimming along with him.  the midwives seem to think it's a good sign that he's this active.... i  can't help but wonder if this is a sign of things to come once he's on the outside.  does anyone know how to tell which way the baby is positioned at any given time?  i often get what feels like a little head (or bum?) pressed up hard against the top of my belly and then little twinkly sensations at the same time low in my pelvis (fingers? toesies? other?) and then at times he just seems to be stepping or lying on my bladder. at what point are they supposed to turn head down (or do they just keep flipping around for a while?)  

my photographer friend still hasn't come to do belly shots of me, so here are a couple of non-artistic ones that DP took while we were on vacation:

25 weeks                  

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#305 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks, Nos! My EDD is May 4. Yikes! Yes, we are getting really excited about the idea of twins. I think I'll actually be quite sad if we only see one on our next ultrasound. I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. For goodness sake, take the medical leave!

Lise, those are some exciting numbers! Woohoo!

AFM, insanely sick. I just feel horrible. Work has been really tough, particularly since I haven't told anyone except my one colleague in my office. Teaching is a particular challenge. I'm worried I'm going to yak in front of my students! Also, I'm just shy of seven weeks, and my clothes are all getting too tight! Last time I didn't show until I was 6 or 7 months pregnant. I think we'll have a different experience this time around!

Isa, enjoy DC! We lived there for a year, when DD was 2. I find that I enjoy it much more as a tourist than I did a resident, as we were priced out of many of the neighborhoods that we like to now go back and visit. Now though we have great fun being tourists! Enjoy.

Hi to everyone else!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#306 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Nos, we could use a hand with the laundry, thanks for asking. The diapers never end but they don't need much in the way of folding. Sara is sick and I can keep up with the boys and the laundry or the boys and the kitchen. Not both! We have to eat, so we have mountains of clean laundry. When will you arrive? I'm sorry you feel guilty taking time off but it's good that you can. What does maternity leave look like over there? I read that French women do physical therapy after birth so they don't pee when they sneeze, can we hear more about that when the time comes?

Tigers, it's crazy how much sooner you show with #2, so I bet it's even scarier with #2&3. Protein and sour candy! And apples.

A cold is making its way through our house so everyone is sneezy, achy and short tempered. Shay is walking up to 20 steps at a time. Soren rolls over and smiles constantly. He is super skinny still, so I made him a little wool sleeper already because the rest of us are still comfortable with the windows open at night but he turns all blue about the arms and legs. He loves to stand and he sits with minimal assistance now. He recently started pulling off the nipple with clamped jaws, so I think he may be working on teeth.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#307 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Hey everybody! Surprise! Our tiny snuggler decided to join us 3 weeks early, the very first day he was officially full term. He was born right into the water in our apartment on Sunday at noon after 32 hours of labor. 5lbs 15oz, 19in long. We are in love!

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#308 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Congratulations Planet!

Enjoy that tiny one - I love that little newborn stage.  Gorgeous photo

Anna

#309 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Welcome Baby Planet! He's beautiful! You both look incredibly happy smile.gif

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#310 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Congratulations, planet!!! Welcome to the world, little one love.gif

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#311 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM

Oh my gosh you guys, this thread is EXPLODING! 

Tigers - congratulations on two!  I am glad you guys are taking the time to really process two new additions to your family - I hope your pregnancy is kind and the babies are healthy! 

Lise - HOORAY!!!  Congratulations, Mama!  We are SO FLIPPIN EXCITED for you over here! broc1.gifcarrot.gifjoy.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifjoy.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifjoy.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifjoy.gif

nosreves - your belly is so lovely!  Can't wait to see more photos.  Congrats on 26 weeks!  That's fantastic.  We took to calling Ever our viking, too, how funny. My mom bought her a crocheted Viking "helmet", with yarn braids and horns and everything. 

Isa - hope your trip is awesome!  All the family coincidentally being in the same place is too funny.  Pictures of Edie? 

Seraf - things at your house sound crazy!  I hope Sara's feeling better soon.  Can't believe how big your boys are already! 

Not much time to keep up with everybody, but here are a few more photos of Everleigh! 

Okay, wow.  I said a few, and then I gave you 11 photos.  Can you tell this girl is pretty special?  LOL.  Sorry for thread-clogging. 

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#312 of 641 Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 PM

Planet!  Congratulations to you and your partner!  What exciting news!  Welcome to the world, little one!

Dear Everleigh ... Any time that you'd like to come up and lend me your gorgeous squishy newborn self for a prolonged cuddle, you let your mamas know.  And tell them to start mass producing those yummy wee slippers.  I think they should call them Broody Boots, because just looking at them makes me feel broody.   You are beautiful, child.  

xo

Your Canadian Fairy Godmother,

dust.gif

Starling

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#313 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 AM

Yay Planet!!! He's beautiful.

Desert, she's beautiful. How are you settling in?

#314 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Congrat's Planet!!!  He's a gorgeous kiddo!!!   And, Desert, way to up the ante on home knits and beautiful babes!  

AFM, just waiting for our first US...and DW's mom is coming to visit for 5 days, and I'm hoping DW opts NOT to tell her yet.  Just not ready for the possibility that she'll be more excited about this babe than the 2 y/o.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#315 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Wishin--When is your first u/s? How far along will you be?

Planet--He is so beautiful! Congrats!

Desert--And SHE is beautiful as well! Looks like a good snuggler! smile.gif

Ugg...today is not good. I haven't been able to sleep for days so I am exhausted and have had a continuous nauseated feeling.I hope this gets better because it is difficult to stay focused on teaching and almost impossible to keep up with the young kids.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#316 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Our first ultrasound is next Thursday (so in 8 days...not that we're counting (that would make us 6 weeks and 2 days) and our due date is May 15th.  

Lise, I'm sorry you feel like crap...I hope tonight brings some rest for you!

#317 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM

Planet, congrats! What a beautiful family!

Desert, I seriously want to nibble her cheeks off. And all that hair! My DD was bald for her first year. Everleigh is just beautiful.

Seraf, we have perpetual "laundry monsters" around here (ie. the pile of clean laundry that never gets folded). I cannot express how much I wish that someone would invent a dryer that folded your clothing for you when it was done. I cannot even imagine what our laundry situation will look like 9 months from now.

Lise, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly. I've felt like crap on a stick for the past few weeks. Not to plant any more seeds of multiples, but my doctor did say that morning sickness comes early and hard with twins...

Wishin, good luck making it through the next 8 days. I was SO RELIEVED to see that first ultrasound. Also, good luck negotiating mother-in-law stuff. As I am the designated womb in our family, it's not a dynamic we've had to deal with in the same way, but I do think there were tensions with both of our families about how "real" DP was as a parent at first.

AFM, here is a list of things I ate today: toast with butter, bagel with avocado, pirate's booty, watermelon, cottage cheese. I left work right after teaching today, ran through Whole Foods to grab lime popsicles and the aforementioned watermelon, and have been eating it ever since. I feel pretty wretched still. Hoping that my "morning" sickness is over by 12 or 14 weeks. We go to Puerto Rico at 16 weeks (mid-November), and it will not be a fun vacation if I am still this nauseous.

#318 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM

Hey Wishin, we had parents in law issues too, my in laws saw the bio child of my partner as a true grandchild and not my bio kids.  When we just had the two boys (had carried one each) we wrote them a letter the Christmas the eldest was four and could therefore read the cards on the presents that said their names on his present and "Granny and Granddad" on the other.  We said it was their choice to be involved in the kids lives but they were either names only to both or Granny and Granddad to both, or if they persisted with the difference we would not see them.  They've been Granny and Granddad since even though they never acknowledged receiving the letter.  These are the people who offered DP $60000 to go to Europe and forget me when she came out to them though...

Lise, I feel revolting too, I'm nearly 12 weeks so really hoping it gets better soon.  Usually from lunch time on I am a wreck, which is very challenging between about 4 and 7pm when the kids are pretty needy too.  My betas were really high too, above the 95th centile (more or less the same as yours) and there was just one bubba on my 7 week scan.  We only put one embryo in there so I wasn't too surprised, although the fertility clinic thought maybe there were identical twins.  Would have been more than a little interesting to have kid 4 turn into kid 4 and 5!

I've been waiting for a sunny day to dry our washing for over a week, finally got 5 loads washed and dry yesterday and we even manged to fold them, helped by the incentive to be able to find clean underwear this morning!

Anna, in NZ, partner to Leah, mums to B 12, E 8, F 4

#319 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

planet -- i already said something over on FB, but i wanted to reiterate how gorgeous your family is and to say Felicitations and Congratulations again on the birth of your little boy.

desert -- i'm getting cuteness overload here!  how funny that you call her your little viking, too.  we started doing it because his donor is Danish, so we figured he's got some real viking blood in there somewhere.  if he comes out with long shaggy hair and a huge beard, our suspicions will be confirmed.

so i went to the doc today and told him about all my pain, and i also mentioned a couple of other problems i've been having lately:  swollen ankles, a weird vision disturbance (that happened once in Spain) and some recent headaches.  he immediately took my BP and it was higher than it's ever been (140/80 and then 135/80 the second time he took it).  he said i should keep an eye on it and  get it checked later in the day.  in the afternoon, i had this relaxation session with a "liberal midwife" (not the one i see at the hospital), and afterwards i asked her if she'd recheck my BP.  this time i was at 155/90.  she seemed worried, especially after i mentioned the eye thing and the headaches and swelling.  she wrote me prescriptions for blood tests and a 24-hour urine test.  i know where all this is leading, and i'm trying sooo hard not to freak out.  when i left her office, i walked a bit and then took the tram back home, and on the way, i stopped at the pharmacy and had them recheck my BP.  this time i was at 122/75.  i don't know what to think.  i know i could be in the early stages of preeclampsia, but since we got back from Spain, my ankle/calf swelling is pretty much gone.  the midwife and doctor both said i need to rest rest rest, so i'll be doing that.  is there anything else i can do?  does this mean i'm going to have to deliver soon???  help.gif

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#320 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 PM

nos ... If you are pre-eclamptic then they will likely monitor you and continue labs and bp checks until the benefits of delivering outweigh the risks of staying pregnant. Pre-e usually resolves with having your baby, so that will get you back on track health wise and baby will be safe from pre-e complications.. I had pre-e with my first and was induced at 37+ weeks, and was on pre-e watch with my second but managed to avoid developing.
It's scary to think about induction, especially when you're not near due yet, but if you do develop genuine pre-e, then the very best thing is to not be pregnant anymore. Safest for you and baby, even if baby is early.
Do you have Rescue Remedy there? If so, take some for the anxiety. Get lots of rest!
Sorry that you are dealing with this ... Hugs to you!

#321 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Wow, I go out of town for a few days and things really start hopping around here!

planet Congrats! He is splendid! That is a really beautiful photo.

nosreves the blood pressure stuff sounds very familiar. My blood pressure is ridiculously high every time my midwives take it, but fine everywhere else. I bought a bp monitor and am now monitoring it at home, and it is always fine at home. If possible, I would recommend getting one if only to save your own sanity. Also there is a lot of stuff you can do in the meantime to lower bp. There is a thread about high bp going on over at our ddc that had some good suggestions, which you may have already seen, but I would check it out if you haven't.   As for the baby positioning stuff - have you had a chance to look at the Spinning Babies website? She has a lot of info about "belly mapping" and figuring out what position the baby is in. We may still be a little early to completely tell, but it might be fun to try. I am sorry you are having so much pain. It certainly isn't the most fun part of pregnancy, and it can be so frustrating when relief is out of reach. I hope things get better soon.

desert - Love the photos! She is gorgeous and you all look very happy.

Hope all of the mamas who are suffering with morning sickness start feeling better soon.

AFM, we survived the trip to  visit our families in Southern California. It was mostly pleasant and even the political debates remained civil. My mom tok my 4 and 7 year old niece and nephew shopping for the baby and let them pick out some clothes. They, of course picked out nothing but pink, pink and more pink. We are really trying to keep the pink to a minimum and do as much gender neutral stuff as possible, which my mom and sister think is hilarious, so it is hard not to feel like this was a little bit of a jab. I do appreciate the gesture, and it is really sweet that my niece and nephew want to pick out stuff for their new cousin, but I can't help but feel a little annoyed. 

Other than than, things are plugging along. I am a little over 26 weeks, and can't believe that I am almost in my third trimester. The sciatica is still causing me quite a bit of trouble, but I am feeling better after a trip to the chiropractor, thank goodness.

#322 of 641 Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Hiya

I'm feeling a bit left out of the morning sickness club ... I've had none ... Is that normal? Though my mom didn't have it at all with three pregnancies...maybe I'm lucky?
I am tired... Some days I have zero energy and chasing after an active 19 month old is hard...I need to work as long as possible dr said December 1 .. But being a nanny I got paid under table so I will not b able to get any short term disability or anything .. So we r trying to not freak out over DP being the sole provider for a while ... I've had a few breakdowns over how we are going to afford everything 3 babies need ... But I know we have great fam and friends who will help as much as they can...
We didn't get the duplex ...long story but we did apply for a little 3 bedroom one level house ( no stairs for three babies.. Woohoo) and find out in morning if we get... We have 31/2 weeks to be out if our current house soooo fingers crossed we get this place ....

Planet.. How's little man settling in?
Desert .. She's so gorgeous love her hair !!!! Keep the pics coming
Anna and knitting and Lise.. So sorry you are feeling so poorly greensad.gif

Nores... Cute bump and sorry to read your update ... Hoping the Bp stays low to rule out pre E ... Hang in there mama
Sorry I'm not the best with keeping up here ....

Hoping the 2nd trimester brings some energy ....

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#323 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM

Lise, I'm sorry you're feeling so sick.  Do you at least get comfort from the fact that it means good things?  

Tiger, we have 3 laundry monsters usually.  I just told Sara that we should put away all our diapers but 2 dozen and we would find ourselves folding faster by necessity (we have better than 100 diapers in rotation!)

Nos, Big yuck on the high BP. I have read a lot about increasing protein intake helping with BP, maybe something to try? Eclampsia is some scary stuff.

Kate, pink is popular but obnoxious. Hopefully it's cute pink stuff at least.

CaNanny, if you have no morning sickness, count yourself lucky. I only had it with one pregnancy. About money, you have good insurance? Babies themselves don't cost all that much if your milk supply comes in and if you can wash your own cloth diapers (you just heard me complain about laundry, but I figure every diaper I wash saves 20 cents. If we use 10 diapers per boy per day, that's $4 a day/ 120 per month/ 1460 a year - So even if you don't cloth diaper full time, you would see savings if you had an inexpensive system and your own washing machine). Besides carseats, you can get everything second hand and save a fortune.  We buy clothes because we want to, we are offered hand me downs every couple of weeks, so we would not have to buy clothes (we still get hand me downs for the big kids, some years we buy clothes in the fall for O, he's a weird size) if we didn't want to.  I suspect you will qualify for WIC and food stamps while you're off work (they will help with the cost of formula if you need it or the extra 1500 calories per day you need). You might see if you qualify for any housing assistance, too.  Cribs, second hand, triple stroller is a one time expense and you can probably find a single and double second hand, slings and wraps can be pretty cheap if you don't get addicted.  Have you gotten involved in anything like the Mothers of Multiples Club? I know they used to be a pretty great resource.

#324 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 AM

Cananny, just adding to what seraf said.....definitely connect with a multiples mom/parent group before babes are born. I have a friend with twin girls and the group she belongs to are constantly passing on clothes and gear to the next family who joins the group. And you'll be surprising how little you will need for newborns (even 3!) once they arrive. Reach out to community and you'll be set :)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#325 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Nos, thinking of you. Fingers crossed for low BP and good news.

Cananny, I saw on FB that you got the house! Yay! I'm sorry you are feeling stressed about $$. I second the WIC suggestion. It was a lifesaver for us, especially when we needed to supplement with formula. And, the folks at our WIC office at least were super nice, and never made us feel bad about anything.

I am still insanely sick. Hate this. Just hate it. In other news, we told my parents last night. My mom's first words upon hearing twins were "oh no!" Awesome, right? She then launched into a 10 minute rant about how her mother was a twin and was crazy, and she was so scared for us. Thanks mom. Then we talked to my dad who was silent for a long time, and then asked if we had been trying to get pregnant. I am attempting to read this as a sign that my (trans) DP seems so obviously masculine that my father forgot he doesn't have sperm, not as a sign that my dad thinks I've been carting around and accidentally got knocked up.:/

Hope everyone is well.

#326 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post
 Then we talked to my dad who was silent for a long time, and then asked if we had been trying to get pregnant. I am attempting to read this as a sign that my (trans) DP seems so obviously masculine that my father forgot he doesn't have sperm, not as a sign that my dad thinks I've been carting around and accidentally got knocked up.:/

My father had a similar reaction when I told him I was pregnant. His response was "on purpose?". You know, because lesbians often get accidentally pregnant.

Cananny Just wanted to piggyback on what others have said - I have not been one of the lucky people who get a lot of hand-me-down stuff from other moms - I just don't have that many people with kids in my life and most of the people who do have kids are not done using their stuff yet. But, I have still saved a ton of money on getting stuff second-hand. I have had a lot of luck in our local thrift stores (I have even found a lot of brand new one-size pocket diapers) and kids consignment stores. Craigslist in the East Bay is also great and full of used kids stuff - especially if you know what you are looking for. My sister, the experienced cheapo mom, swears by these big consignment events that take place periodically. There is one coming up in October in San Mateo, which I am planning on going to. Apparently, you can get in for a pre-sale if you are a first-time parent if you sign up ahead of time. I have no idea if this event is actually worth going to, but figure I have nothing to lose except for a wasted trip to San Mateo. This is the link to the event if you are interested http://www.jbfsale.com/default.cfm

#327 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone!!! I know it will work out ... As for Wic I'm
Already getting it, when we had the foster baby they signed me up and with multiples I get sooooo much milk ... Lol
I joined twins by the bay a local multiples group..
Kate you are local smile.gif it's nice to know other moms from here .. I've met a few from mdc ...
I'm going to check out that sale ... If I can cd part time I'd be happy smile.gif I have bo idea what ones to use .. But I'll have time to research once on bed rest smile.gif

We did get the little house and it cuts our rent almost in half ... So that takes some stress off and we no longer need a housemate Yay!!!!

smile.gif today I'm feeling a bit more optimistic that we can do this smile.gif

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#328 of 641 Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Hi ladies!

Just caught up with everything I've missed! Congrats to all the bfps and new babies! Sorry, it's hard to type on the phone while nursing two babies.

Lise: I'm so flipping excited for you. Your due date is the day after Soren's was last year! Which donor did you use (feel free to pm me if you wanna keep that private). I was just saying like a day before Sara told me that you should be next! Yayyyyy!

More later!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#329 of 641 Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cananny View Post

Thanks everyone!!! I know it will work out ... As for Wic I'm
Already getting it, when we had the foster baby they signed me up and with multiples I get sooooo much milk ... Lol

I'm going to check out that sale ... If I can cd part time I'd be happy smile.gif I have bo idea what ones to use .. But I'll have time to research once on bed rest smile.gif
We did get the little house and it cuts our rent almost in half ... So that takes some stress off and we no longer need a housemate Yay!!!!
smile.gif today I'm feeling a bit more optimistic that we can do this smile.gif

Yay for the new house! And you can do it! I don't envy you at 2 am, but you will rock it. 

We get WIC,too, and we get something stupid like 12 gallons of milk per month. I seem to be allergic and their soymilk brand is gross, so we use 2-3 gallons. When you go off work you may qualify for other programs, too.

My vote is something you don't have to fold!!!  We currently use flats and prefolds (and cut up towels) but laundry folding issues with two are making me phase out the flats (you may like to have a few flats in the beginning, they're awesome for tiny newborns and your babes will be tiny newborns a lot longer than mine were). We used Bummis whisper wraps when O and A were small.  We only diapered part time and I think we had 2 of them in medium because that lasted from about 4 months to potty training (we didn't buy them until O was walking). I don't love velcro because we had several brands scratch O's belly and thighs. but these never did and these are hella faster to put on than our current fuzzy bunz with their 4 snaps per diaper. You only have to wash them when they get poopy or stinky, which is an added bonus. So why do we use fuzzy bunz? They were hand me downs. We've spent less than $20 on diapering the boys. A cute option I've never tried, but friends use are gDiapers. They're cute, have a wrap that only needs infrequent washing and they have a no-fold insert.  They're not cheap. Prefolds and and wraps are a cheap and easy system and if you had 2 dozen diapers, you would save about $5 every time you wash and all you have to do is stack them up when they come out of the dryer.  You will certainly have enough bums to experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateadelle View Post
I have not been one of the lucky people who get a lot of hand-me-down stuff from other moms

Is this your first baby?  We got our first set of hand me downs from kids Sara used to nanny and several more from other moms at story time and playgroup (once the babies were here and we were hanging out with other parents). Since we co-sleep, and don't use a changing table we only needed clothes and carseats. We did buy highchairs but a few were offered. I think you will be offered more if you make it clear that you are interested and if you announce the sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post
 Then we talked to my dad who was silent for a long time, and then asked if we had been trying to get pregnant.

"Well, we weren't using birth control." That is such a weird question.

#330 of 641 Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Sara--I used Jeremy. I read his profile last night (I called and asked several questions that I needed to know about but otherwise we went in blind and got the paperwork after becoming pregnant). He seems to be quite the arrogant intellectual. smile.gif I guess this nuture vs. nature thing will really be put to the test! He also is from a 'larger' family (as in height and weight) than what we normally went with so that should be interesting as well.

I had dreams last night that I miscarried. Ugg...so awful. Woke up feeling really sick so that made me feel better. I think it is my on and off cramps that keep me worried...otherwise, everything else seems 'normal'. Hooray for another end of a week! SOOO excited to sleep in tomorrow since it seems that early morning is the only time I actually sleep well. My first u/s is a week from today (I will be exactly 6 weeks). I can't wait!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Pregnancy , Pregnancy Birth Books , Pregnancy Week By Week , Healthy Pregnancy , Ovulation Pregnancy Tests

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page