Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 641 Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cananny - Congrats on the new house! Hope the move goes very smoothly and that you have lots of help! 

Seraf - Yes, first baby. I am sure I would be getting a ton of hand-me-down stuff if I actually knew anyone who had any. Among my circle of close friends I am kind of the baby-having pioneer. The two other friends I have who have kids are both having babies within 2 months of me, so they need their stuff. My sister has given me a few things, but her youngest is 4 and she has long ago given away all her baby stuff. I am totally not complaining, btw. I have had so much luck finding things for cheap or free via other avenues! I love thrifting for this baby and have become a little addicted to it. Plus, I am so blessed to have an amazing generous group of family and friends. So many people are knitting and sewing for this kid, which makes me weepy to think about. It just hasn't been my experience that people are lining up to unload their baby stuff on me, even though, when I was first pregnant,  a lot of people told me that would happen. 

lisedea - Pregnancy anxiety dreams are the worst! I have been absolutely plagued by them. Hope the next week goes by quickly for you and you get some relief from worry when you see that baby!

#332 of 641 Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks Kate... When are you due?
We have already been given three boxes full of clothes from a friend who has twins! And two bouncer chairs .. I'm very grateful for hand me downs smile.gif
I scored a big box of cloth diapers and covers for 50.00 I mean there's newborn sizes to toddler sizes.. We figure if we can CD at least part time we can save a ton with three babies in diapers !!
And someone from here offered to send us a few she wasn't using... I def feel grateful
I love Craigslist and the Berkeley parents network lots of great deals

Currently suffering with the awful back pain I get from time to time... I always have a sore back but once a month or so it goes out to where I can't even walk ... Accupuncture doesn't help at all ... Can't take the Motrin or the muscle relaxers that usually help ... It's really painful :/ I've been doing a heating pad and laying in bed I did take a Vicodin and it barely took edge off ... Any other ideas??

How are u feeling these days smiling? Good to see u post .. The boys are big!

Knitting how's the nausea?

Hi to everyone else .... I'm 11 weeks today ! Crazy fast

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#333 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Just dropping by to share our blog post with the birth story!  DW and I each wrote it from our own perspective.

http://twomothersmcgill.blogspot.com/2012/09/one-birth-two-stories.html

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#334 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

beautiful, beautiful stories, Desert.  way to make a hormonal gal tear up :)

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#335 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Desert - Such beautiful stories! Thank you for sharing them. I am with nosreves on the hormones and tears!

Cananny - We are due on December 17th - making today our official first day of the third trimester!

#336 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

starling -- thank you so much for your words the other day.  they calmed me down quite a bit, and i was able to finally stop feeling anxious and weepy.  merci 

kate -- i'm due the 19th (well, according to the American sites, at least)!  does that mean that i'm in the 3rd trimester on wednesday?  reading about your "adventures" in frilly pinkness made me happy that we're having a boy.  actually, i'd love to have a girl, too, but i dread the fight against mainstream notions of gender and what's "appropriate" for boys vs. girls.  it's just as bad, if not worse, here in France.  i was lucky to have a feminist mother who tried to avoid imposing gender roles on me.  when i was 7, i remember her reading me this story from Ms. magazine:  Baby X.  do you know it?   how's your sciatica?

lise -- sorry about the dreams.  pregnancy certainly does seem to bring on some intense ones (both good and bad).  as for the cramps, i had them for several weeks after i got my BFP, and they scared me, too.  i remember waking up crying from the pain one night, even.  it's probably just the little bean(s) snuggling in good and tight for a nine month ride.  i hope you're finding some mental and emotional calm now.

cannay -- yayayay for the house!  and booooo for the back pain.  i hope you can see a chiro or osteopath or find some other way to ease your suffering.  i'm finding that being in the swimming pool is incredibly helpful for relieving my back and pelvic pain.  maybe that would work for you as well...

afm... i had a rather horrible weekend that involved over 24 hours spent in two different hospitals, an ambulance ride between the two, tons of tests and an upsetting MRI.  i had another vision disturbance on saturday and went to the ER of my maternity hospital to be checked.  it turns out that my BP is perfectly fine and there is no protein in my urine (so no preeclampsia), but the doc was very worried about the vision thing and decided i needed to be seen by neurologists. seven hours later, i was in a claustrophobia-inducing tube getting an MRI of my brain.  i started hyperventilating and crying the first time they put me in, and i had to be calmed down by the tech before we could proceed.  during the 30 minutes of crazyloud spaceage sounds, i kept rubbing my belly and telling the little viking that i was there with him and that everything was okay.  i hope he wasn't too traumatized by it all...  even though they found nothing wrong, they wouldn't let me leave the hospital that night...grrr.  the next day we waited for 4 hours for them to sign the discharge papers and then finally DP and i both got fed up and just left without seeing the doctor.  it was all sooo frustrating, but at least it looks like there's nothing seriously wrong.  

i just watched a debate about gay marriage, adoption and reproductive rights that was on French tv.   all (or some) of those things could be legalized in the next 6 months-ish, so of course, people are discussing it quite a bit.  there were three very well-spoken  advocates of those rights and three bigoted idiots opponents who were spouting the same clichés i'm used to hearing from their American counterparts.  the "children need a mother and father" thing was repeated over and over, but the most annoying speaker was a psychologist who kept insisting that children need to be able to fantasize about their origins and if there are two mothers or two fathers, they can't do that in a way that makes logical sense, so it f's them up emotionally and mentally.  he also declared that all the long-term studies on children of gay parents were completely homo-biased (surely there's a better word...) and unreliable.  eyesroll.gif

oooh, and another preggo gal i know mentioned that stuff came out of her nipples when she squeezed her breasts, so i tried it, too...jaw.gif ....omfg.   pregnancy is a bit like having your body turn into Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (including the swollen blueberry part and the trippy, freaky boat ride part.)

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#337 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Just for the record, when I fantasize about where I came from, I think about California. Not my parents DTD! Oh, maybe that's why I'm queer?

I always thought we were doing our children a favor so they wouldn't have to imagine their own parents doing anything. Lol.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#338 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Um, are you joking? What kid "fantasizes" about their parents doing it? That makes no sense. Also, why couldn't our kids think about sperm donors or fertility clinics? If that's what their parents tell them about their conception, then that's what they'll know!

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#339 of 641 Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Oh nosreves, what a time of it you're having!  Poor sprout.  I'm sure he isn't traumatized, but it sure sounds like you are.  Hugs, big big hugs sweet lady.  That argument about fantasizing over our origins is such a load of crap, by the way.  I never did that.  Eewwwwh. 

Thanks everyone!  Sorry it took us so long to get those birth stories written!  Glad to have them done, though.  

We've been cloth diapering full time for a few days now, since Ever's umbilical stump fell off.  I think we're doing pretty good, even if we do need a little more learning and more practicing.  That's what these early times are for, right?  

Just because it's SO stinking cute, here's a pic of Evie in her tie-dye and a cloth diaper.  

Love to you all.  Back later. 

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#340 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My DP and I found out a few days ago that we are pregnant-- expecting in May 2013.  I know a few folks on this page from Queer Conceptions, and I look forward to getting to know everyone else over the next several months.  

#341 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Evie is stinkin' ADORABLE!   I love the tie dye and the thirsties cover...

And, as for children fantasizing about their "origins"...if my son is anything like me (or most folk I know) he'll be thrilled that his conception did not involve sex--that way he can safely pretend that his parents are completely asexual and not be grossed out that his boring ol' moms ever got it on ;)

Nosreves, I hope things have settled down and you are getting good rest following your hospital adventures.  It sounds like it was pretty awful.  

Lisedea--pregnancy anxiety dreams suck--I had TONS of them and none of them portended any real disaster (healthy due date baby, who is now a healthy, albeit snotty, 2 y/o)

AFM--I think I'm going to have to be careful about not putting on tons of non-gestational parent pregnancy weight...I'm realizing that w/ a baby on the way my subconscious is giving me permission to eat like crap (as in, way too much in the way of treats (ohhhh, muffins, I LOVE muffins)--the kind of eating I did when I was hungrily pregnant).  It's really weird not being pregnant and expecting a baby at the same time...I can't quite articulate it yet, but I'm stewing on it.  (some of this stewing is compounded by having a strikingly, adorable, little boy who doesn't look much like me at all...even tho' I was the gestating one for the kiddo--I'm guessing that the next kid will look even less like me ;)  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#342 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM

nosreves like everything else pregnancy related there seems to be some degree of disagreement over when the third trimester starts (anywhere from 26 to 28 weeks). I am going with what makes the most sense to me - 27 weeks. So sorry that you are dealing with more medical crap. I am hoping that you get a break from it soon and are able to get some well needed rest and enjoyment these last few months. The sciatica seems to be getting better as long as I am not on my feet too much. I replaced the chair in my office with an exercise ball, which seems to be helping (with the added bonus of being good for encouraging a good fetal position for birth!) I returned all the pink crap to Target yesterday and instead purchased stuff we needed for the house! I have never seen that story before, but I just read it and I love it. Thanks for sharing it!

tandy Congratulations! Looking forward to getting to know you!

#343 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Hey everyone!

We are completely and in love with and obsessed with our new baby, Wylie Blue.  He is so awesome!!!!  Of course we are riding the learning curve in terms of cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and figuring out how to wear him so we can go walking around comfortably.  He is 6.1 pounds, so he is technically not big enough for any of the wraps that we have - the Baby Bjorn, the Ergo, and the Moby wrap.  Do any of you have any tips or suggestions about how to wear a 6 pound baby using one of those carriers safely???

Breastfeeding overall is going really well, but it's not without its hurdles.  He has already gained two ounces since he was born, which is amazing (we were so proud to learn that!).  But sometimes he does this thing where he shows all the signs of wanting to eat (sucking on his hands, rooting around, etc.) but when we put him on the boob, he fusses and squirms, takes the nipple but only sucks 3-4 times before pulling away and squealing in frustration.  :(  We have had a couple reeeeally hard nights in which he did this for 1-2 hours before he would eat.  When he isn't doing that, he latches on quickly and eats for a good long time.  Who knows, he's a mysterious guy!  Anyone have any tips for this kind of situation?

Desert, your photos and birth stories are amazing.  You have inspired me to write out Wylie's birth story.  I am thinking it will also take me quite awhile to accomplish that goal, but I want to do it!  Ever is absolutely gorgeous and adorable.  You guys did such an incredible job bringing her into the world!  She is so lucky to have you two as parents.

Nosreves, sorry to hear about the preeclampsia scare and all the hospital drama.  UGH, you have really  been through a lot.  I also had a pre-e scare just a week before Wylie was born (I got really swollen and had slightly elevated blood pressure, though not in the typical danger zone - just high for me.  But the midwife got me all worked up and freaked out before even having the test results.  Like you, I was fine).  I understand how stressful that can be!!!  Hoping you can rest up and take great care of yourself and unwind after all that stress.  Also, if your BP gets elevated again, my midwives had me taking alfalfa to help bring it down, so that's something you could look into - though it sounds like you won't need it. 

Welcome to the new people and congratulations on all the pregnancies!!!  This thread is out of control!

I can't keep up with all the personals but know that I am so grateful for this community and I am sending you all lots of love.

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#344 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 AM

We loved this wrap for the early weeks (by about 10 pounds, he seemed too heavy for it; the product sheets says it's okay for preemies): http://www.preciousimagecreations.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=101&itemrowid=5942528&param=2 And as a bonus, it's lightweight for hot summer weather.

What you're describing re nursing and squirming sounds a lot like what seraf experienced with shay (or maybe it was sara and soren?? or an entirely different family altogether? someone on here!) - he needed to pee! And didn't want to go in his dipe.

He's so sweet! Congrats again.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#345 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Desert--we used the Moby from the beginning with DS.  Basically, you'd want to have Wylie, facing in, in an upright position on your chest with his head close enough to your chin that you can kiss the top of his head and his legs froggied up.  The Moby wrap instructions will describe this position and how to put him in it.  It's safe for newborns :)  It does say 8 pounds and up, and ask your medical professional for under 8 pounds...but if you are alert and monitoring the baby somewhat I don't know why you'd need to wait for 8 pounds (DS was 7 1/2 pounds at birth).  The baby bjorn you may find yourself skipping completely, ergonomically it puts the babies weight on their crotch, so they are sort of dangling (which doesn't seem all that great for any length of time).  At around 12-15 pounds you may find that the moby is too stretchy for the baby and that will likely be when you may want to start using the ergo more.  There is a newborn insert for the ergo, but we never liked it b/c it just seemed too fiddly and the ring sling and moby were so much more comfortable for the newborn days.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#346 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM

sage squirmed and wouldn't latch when she had to pee. it wasn't so much in the night, she seemed to sleep through it then. but if she was squirming and needing something, but not latching - I tried bringing her to the potty.

I just put her on a potty/toilet and made pshhhh sounds. Once she understood, she'd pee. Honestly, I forget how we made the connection the first time - seemed she knew what to do. Maybe from hearing and watching us? not sure.

I think someone mentioned here that babes are programed not to pee in their 'nest'. Sage seemed really strong about this. She is more distracted now and doesn't ask to go all that much, but often won't poo unless outside/in a car seat/on the potty. Wierd but true. That babe has some strong clean nest instincts :)

I don't find, and didn't find ECing this way at all too much. I actually love it. Save a diaper, and she always smiles when she goes - sort of a 'yeah mom, you understood!'

ANyways - might not be your little one's thing, and maybe he is communicating something else or it is a night time latch thing (Sage and I had trouble the first couple weeks feeding at night, just getting latched on when tired was hard, and she hadn't mastered latching, and I hadn't mastered it either). BUT it might be worth a try.

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#347 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I don't have time for a real post but I wanted to say hello and congratulate all the new parents--Wylie and Ever are so, so beautiful!
Edie's on day 2 of daycare--yesterday seemed to go well, even if she did come home looking a little shellshocked. She managed to nap, eat, and even dirty a diaper while there, so I expect she's probably fine. Her little form said that she woke up feeling jolly and really enjoyed dance time, which is all I can really hope for. The only trouble they had was when she wet a second diaper immediately after the first and it took them a couple minutes to ascertain what was going on. I'm kind of sad to not be there with her, and I know DP misses her quite a bit now that she's back at work. We're trying to figure out our new routine, but for the most part it seems to be going smoothly.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#348 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post

Breastfeeding overall is going really well, but it's not without its hurdles.  He has already gained two ounces since he was born, which is amazing (we were so proud to learn that!).  But sometimes he does this thing where he shows all the signs of wanting to eat (sucking on his hands, rooting around, etc.) but when we put him on the boob, he fusses and squirms, takes the nipple but only sucks 3-4 times before pulling away and squealing in frustration.  :(  We have had a couple reeeeally hard nights in which he did this for 1-2 hours before he would eat.  When he isn't doing that, he latches on quickly and eats for a good long time.  Who knows, he's a mysterious guy!  Anyone have any tips for this kind of situation?

Is he gassy? Perhaps bicycle his legs or "burp" him. Or, do you have a quick, fast let down? It seems a bit early in the nursing session for that to happen but it's worth a thought. Or it might just be a passing thing that will go away and you'll never figure it out ;) Glad to hear it's going well overall! Nursing is hard work but sooooo worth it.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#349 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Planet, I've never had a 6 pound baby, but he won't be that small for long. I second what Wishin said. Upright in a wrap or sling is perfect, just under your chin (Ari was on my back by day 3 and she was only a 7 pounder, just pay attention and make sure his chin is off his chest).. I also agree about sometimes baby needs to pee/poo/burp. If you don't want to take him potty, you can just lay him on his back and put his knees up to his belly and give him a minute. He is beautiful.

Isa, I'm glad Edie is having a good time dancing! Does she like to wrestle? Soren loves wrestling, just not with Shay.

Speaking of politics, I'm ready for this election to be over. I spent almost an hour trying to calm my patient because he heard on TV that the pres is going "kill old people with a shot" after the election to save money.

The babies are good. Shay is super gigantic (24#12 and 31.5 inches) and Soren is a skinny mini (14#12 am 26.5 inches. His weight for length percentile is second percentile!). Shay can take several steps at a time but crawling is still faster. Soren can roll both ways and is just generally smiley all the time.

I hope everyone is having a dandy week.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#350 of 641 Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Planet, the way wishingandhoping described using the moby is the way it is recommended for premmies, the key to safe babywearing of any teeny one is ensuring that there isa gap between their chin and chest, if the chin gets pushed down the airway will block.  We wore our premmies from the time he came home at 5lb.  If I ever have another premmie Ill wear them 24/7 at the hospital.

My daughter did the latch and wriggle routine when she needed to pee too.

Enjoy that bubba!

Anna

#351 of 641 Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM

I've been reading along but swamped with work and traveling and regular everyday life...so here is my lame attempt at a post.

Planet and Desert: CONGRATULATIONS! Both babes are so beautiful. The pics are killing me! I really enjoyed your birth stories, Desert, and I'm looking forward to reading yours too, Planet, when you can get it written out. I hate to say it, but I haven't yet finished Lilah's.  I have a few different versions of it in different places, but I want one coherent story, and it is hard to make the mental space to focus on it.

Planet: Here's my overly frank opinion: the Bjorn is actually never safe, at any weight. It doesn't create enough of a seat for the baby, whose legs dangle down at an angle that is unhealthy for little hips. There is plenty of info about this online if you look around.  The Ergo is great, but you'd need an infant insert to use it soon.  The Moby really is safe to use even with a 6 lb babe, but only if you get it on really tight.  Put it on TIGHT, then get the baby in a good upright position with his knees pulled up in froggy position.  You should be able to kiss the top of his head--that's how you know he is high and tight enough.  And there should be only a slight curve to his spine--he shouldn't be slumped away from you at all.  There is a facebook group called Babywearing Love and Support.  If you join it and post a picture of the baby in the Moby, experienced babywearers can give you feedback. In fact, if you wanted to post a pic here or in a PM to me, I could give you feedback, too.  The feeling of a newborn all snuggled against me, chest to chest in a sling, breathing on my neck...has got to be on the best feelings on earth, IMHO.  ENJOY!

To the newly preggos: exciting times.  Sorry about all the feeling like crap--what a bummer that early pregnancy can feel so crappy.  Lise--can't wait to hear about your u/s.  Cananny: Yay for the new house and less financial stress. 

Oops--got to run--

Quick update: We went to FL to visit my grandparents over the weekend, and while I was in the ocean with both girls, I was stung (punctured, actually) by a stingray! It bled like crazy, and I very nearly passed out from the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced.  Holy drama.  It is nearly healed up now, though--just swollen and a bit sore.  Sheesh!  The upside is that my grandparents got a HUGE kick out of both girls, especially Lilah, whom my Nana insists is a true genius.  It is as though a 13 month old never walked, signed, or spoke before. 

Here is a video of Lilah and Zoe playing with a block tower and Lilah cracking herself up. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#352 of 641 Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

AmandaHope --  luxlove.gif that laugh is just delicious.  my DP wasn't even watching the video and she started smiling across the room just hearing it.  i love seeing your girls together...it's just warms me through and through.  ack, that stingray puncture sounds nasty.  i hope it's completely healed soon.  btw (since you are the woven wrap expert), i just ordered my first wrap, a Storchenwiege. do you think that's a good first choice or should i be looking at something with a bit of stretch for the early days?  everyone i know here is into Je Porte Mon Bébé which seems to be somewhat like the Moby except that you can do back carries.  

#353 of 641 Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!  It is super helpful.  We are trying out the Moby in the newborn hold right now for the first time; it is awesome!  The midwife said it is okay to use for Wylie even though he's not yet 8 lbs.

In other glorious news, he has already gained weight!  At birth he was 5 lbs 15 oz. and now (at 10 days old) he is 6 lbs. 5 oz.  We are so proud!  So it shouldn't be long before we can use the Ergo.  I appreciate the feedback about the Baby Bjorn - you're right, that doesn't sound comfortable at all. 

It feels good to know that despite our occasional breastfeeding struggles, Wylie is gaining weight and doing well!

Amanda, that is nuts about the sting ray!  So glad you are okay!!! YIKES!

So grateful for this community.  Take care, everyone.

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#354 of 641 Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosreves View Post

AmandaHope --  luxlove.gif that laugh is just delicious.  my DP wasn't even watching the video and she started smiling across the room just hearing it.  i love seeing your girls together...it's just warms me through and through.  ack, that stingray puncture sounds nasty.  i hope it's completely healed soon.  btw (since you are the woven wrap expert), i just ordered my first wrap, a Storchenwiege. do you think that's a good first choice or should i be looking at something with a bit of stretch for the early days?  everyone i know here is into Je Porte Mon Bébé which seems to be somewhat like the Moby except that you can do back carries.  

Since Lilah wants to walk and needs to get up and down quickly and often, I haven't touched my wraps in a few months (gulp--just ring slings, buckle carriers, and mei tais ;-), so I'm hardly the expert.  But I've heard great things about Storchs.  I think Starling has one.  They are very strong and referred to as "workhorse wraps."  So it should be perfectly good for a newborn and toddler worthy, as well, down the road.  It won't be quite as soft or thin as some of the pricier wraps that people buy for newborns, but why bother when the baby is going to spit up on it anyway and then you'll have to sell it to buy a sturdier one down the road?  I think it was a great choice.  As for the je Porte Mon Bebe wraps, they look pretty darn awesome. The stretch is really nice with a newborn AND you can do back carries. Wow. I'd love to try one out. 

Planet: YAY for baby in the Moby! Can we have a pic?

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#355 of 641 Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Must jump in to say welcome, Planet, to your Wylie Blue!

We have a Wylie, too! She is 2 already and certainly lives up to her name. I feel like one of the things that kept us TTCing through 4 hard years to conceive her was wanting to use this terrific name! :) (it's okay to admit bias, right?)

Hoping you are enjoying the wonders of these early days and that you see the fun and hilarious sides of "wily-ness" come through soon as well.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#356 of 641 Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hi all, just dropping in to say hi!

nos ... How are you feeling, hon?

Planet ... What everyone else said!  I love a Moby-style wrap for tiny babies.  DD was six pounds at birth and dropped to nearly five and struggled to gain from there, so she was tiny for a long time.  I also like my Vatanai for a high front carry (so that you can kiss that delicious baby head).  I actually used that one the most at the beginning of H's life.  He was eight pounds, mind you.

I wish I had a Storch, but I don't.  Sigh.  

Amanda ... This second baby of mine is not a wrap baby.  E was content to spend HOURS up-up.  H is an up-and-down-right-now baby, so we've sadly retired our wraps in favour of an Olives & Applesauce SSC and a Kinderpack SSC.  I love them!  I got a toddler Kinderpack so that both H and E can use it.  E still wants to go up-up every now and then.  She had a difficult social interaction at the homeschool beach day on Tuesday so asked if she could cuddle on  my back to recover from it while H bulldozed through the sand.

AFM: H is nearly one!  He runs full time, and is working on building his vocabulary.  'Kitty' and 'mama' and 'baba' so far. Neither of my children have latched on to sign language, which is a total bummer for me, being that I'm fluent in ASL.  E is getting interested now that I'm trying them with H, so that's something. 

E starts music classes at our city symphony on Saturday!  She's super excited.  

I go back to work in two weeks.

I did an all-day course on Death & Dying for work yesterday.  It was rough.  My best friend is in hospice care right now, so that got the tears flowing a few times.  Plus a room full of seasoned paramedics rehashing some of their most tragic calls is a real downer, to say the least.  

All that to say that H was alone with DP for 16 hours, which is a first for all of us.  And they were just fine!  E went to the zoo with my sister, so DP just had the one child for most of the day.  She kept on texting me about how much easier everything is when you just have one!  Anyway, I'm sad about going back to work.  Feel free to kick me in the shin. I must sound like a prat when so many of my American friends here need to go back earlier.  I've had fifteen months off, and I sure don't want to go back.  I'm feeling pretty rusty!  A lot has changed with our ambulance service in the time I've been gone, plus I have a new post (close to home!  Yay!  No more horrid 1+ hours commute twice a day!) but I just keep telling myself that the basics of patient care don't change.  

Hello to everyone else!  Thinking of you all!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#357 of 641 Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM

wishin'- Wasn't your appointment today? How did it go?

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#358 of 641 Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Not till next Thursday...sigh, I THOUGHT it was today, but they didn't want to do the ultrasound until at least 6 weeks 4 days (to avoid the possibility of that it would be too early for a heart beat)...

so, we're waiting...not terribly patiently!

#359 of 641 Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Wishin, that's funny- we were supposed to have our 8 week ultrasound today, but the doc is on vacation so we're also going next Thursday! I'm feeling really anxious that they won't both be there still. Last time (right at 6 weeks) we saw two sacs and fetal poles, but just one heartbeat. The doctor didn't seem at all concerned because it was so early. But now I'm feeling anxious.

I am loving the newborn pics from Planet and Desert! So beautiful!

Starling, how did H get to be a year?!?

Amanda, glad you're healing up from the ray. I have to admit that you've got me a little freaked about our upcoming Puerto Rico trip!

AFM, still feeling crappy. I took a Zofran today even though it scares me to take meds because I had a work thing that I had to get through. It did make me feel a lot better, and feeling almost normal for a day made me realize how terrible I've been. Anyone here take Zofran during your pregnancy? Thoughts on its safety? Obviously my doc says it's fine, but...

In other news, we've started interviewing OBs, which is painful and time consuming. We visited the practice our RE recommended, which was a definite no go. They have 12 different docs on call, but only four actually belong to their practice, so you're likely to get someone at your labor who you've never met before! I could practically hear the knife sharpening in the background. Next week we're visiting one practice that's just 2 doctors (no one else on call) who I've heard okay things about, as well as an OB from the next town over who sounds great (trained with midwives in New Zealand, posts all sorts of things about natural birth and avoiding interventions on his FB page), BUT who delivers in a hospital without a NICU. That seems potentially scary to me if the babies come early. Thoughts? I really, really, really want a vaginal childbirth.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#360 of 641 Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Wishin'--Oh bummer. I go into tomorrow still...at 6 weeks. Probably too early but I am so anxious just to see how many sacs there are....maybe we will get lucky with the heartbeat.

Knitting--I found Zofran in my coat pocket today and thought about taking it! I didn't though....but I feel so incredibly sick. Ugg...

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Pregnancy , Pregnancy Birth Books , Pregnancy Week By Week , Healthy Pregnancy , Ovulation Pregnancy Tests

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page