Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 641 Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lise... You can fit three Chico key fits for infant stage and then the best carseat ever is diono/sunshine kids radians they are pricey but they are made for three across they are narrow plus you can use from 5 lbs to 120 lbs ... Rear facing until 45 lbs !! It's hands down my fav seat... We r only going to use infant seats now that there are three babies to cart around.... Though we r going with graco snug rides they fit the stroller:)

I'll send u a link to this triplet board on babycenter.. Seems alit of ppl sell stuff there too... I was lucky to find mine locally and cheaply !!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#422 of 641 Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM

23 posts since last night? Wow!

Isa, yes to the little wool pants.  Find something soft (I like merino and lambs wool).  I wash the sweaters because I don't want the pants to shrink.  I don't wash on hot or dry because I've shrunk some sweaters way too much that way. Then just cut them up and sew them together. Skinny pants, yoga pants, they're all so cute.  We use them as a cover over cloth diapers.  We don't bother to lanolize at this point and they seem fine. The pants stay dry.  I only wash them when Shay crawls through something nasty, Soren blows out one side of his diaper or they get too stretched out/saggy looking. Then I machine wash cold and lay flat to dry (they shrink up a bit again).

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#423 of 641 Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Only a few minutes to post but wanted to pop in and say how exciting this board is right now and what an amazing community of people you all are.  smile.gif

Cananny: SCORE on the stroller and dipes! And I'm glad you are feeling better.  I saw my chiro while ttc, throughout the pregnancy, and I still do once/month.  He is the one who predicted that I'd have a very fast birth.  Yup!  With three in there and a bad back, you'll need all the adjustments you can get/afford.  I don't see any need to worry about it.  Glad to see all your smiley faces today.

Knitting: I was super emotional in the first tri, too.  It is intense!

Lise: Ugh--hope your back cooperates.  Crazy that you all are showing so soon! Belly pics?

Isa: Miss you! We need to get together. Did we miss the pumpkin patch? We've been insanely busy, and it isn't going to let up for a few weeks.  Sorry about E's first cold. It is scary when they struggle to breathe with all the snot.  L always throws up a lot when she gets a cold...it is really sad.  Hope you two don't get it!

Sara: I laughed at the burnt rice. You are a ROCK STAR handling all four of them alone at bed time.  Soren is so tall! Wow! And Shay sounds like quite the life of the party...even when he's the only one partying. Your trampoline looks super fun, by the way!

The new baby pics are making my ovaries ACHE. YUM. And we did block nursing to relieve oversupply and lots of throwing up, too.  Because L was growing so rapidly, our ped was completely unconcerned about the copious puking. And it was a LOT.

AFU: Lilah is boycotting her crib entirely (after about 6 months of sleeping in it for most naps and evenings).  And DP, who has been the one to get her down in the crib, is helpless.  She can get L to sleep on her lap sometimes, but Lilah will never transfer to the crib anymore.  So DP ends up holding her on her lap while she naps for 2 hours.  But Lilah is 14 months old, and DP is super frustrated.  So am I.  Lilah was dead tired this afternoon, but 40 minutes of nursing and an hour of walking her in stroller didn't convince her to sleep.  I think we're getting a futon to replace her crib in the hopes that we can transfer her and/or nurse her down more effectively that way.  It's a long shot, but we're getting desperate.  In general, I'm not much of an advocate of trying to change the sleep behaviors of kids under 18 months at least, but this situation really isn't working for any of us.  Hoping the futon helps! Sigh. 

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#424 of 641 Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM

For those not on FB here are the triplets at 11w 5 days you cant see baby 1 as well.. this one moves way to much and does not stay still... also measures the largest and is the most active!!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#425 of 641 Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaHope View Post

AFU: Lilah is boycotting her crib entirely (after about 6 months of sleeping in it for most naps and evenings).  And DP, who has been the one to get her down in the crib, is helpless.  She can get L to sleep on her lap sometimes, but Lilah will never transfer to the crib anymore.  So DP ends up holding her on her lap while she naps for 2 hours.  But Lilah is 14 months old, and DP is super frustrated.  So am I.  Lilah was dead tired this afternoon, but 40 minutes of nursing and an hour of walking her in stroller didn't convince her to sleep.  I think we're getting a futon to replace her crib in the hopes that we can transfer her and/or nurse her down more effectively that way.  It's a long shot, but we're getting desperate.  In general, I'm not much of an advocate of trying to change the sleep behaviors of kids under 18 months at least, but this situation really isn't working for any of us.  Hoping the futon helps! Sigh. 

Couple of suggestions :) I'm assuming she's down to one nap? If not, she might be transitioning to that. Otherwise....maybe move the time you try to put her down to a bit later.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#426 of 641 Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 AM

CaNanny, lovely.

AmandaHope, naps are so important, why don't these kids realize that? Shay still really needs all his naps. He is an absolute mess without them but he has gotten to the point where he will only fall asleep in the car or the bed. Gone are the days of falling asleep wherever he nurses. My brain needs to catch up! He still falls asleep pretty easily if I nurse him in bed, but I forget that he needs that. Sorry you guys are having such a hard time. Have you tried going in the bedroom and pretending to sleep? I know that helped with one of mine as a toddler, but probably a little older than L.

I just got stung by a wasp! I think it got stuck in my shirt and didn't get me all the way because there was a drop of liquid on my arm and it took a long time to swell. Weird. I'm glad it got me instead of Shay (who I was holding in that arm).

#427 of 641 Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM

wishin'--How was your appointment?

ETA: Today is Wednesday...not Thursday. Pretend that I asked you that tomorrow. Sheepish.gif

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#428 of 641 Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

sooo, i just realized that it's almost October.  does anyone want to volunteer to take over the Oct, Nov, Dec thread?  

and woah, i'm officiallly in the 3rd trimester as of today yikes.gif.

Amt1015 likes this.

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#429 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM

We just got back from our last visit with the RE! Two strong heartbeats (178 and 182 beats per minute, respectively!), and the babies look good! Now we just need to find an OB...

Wishin, thinking of you guys today! Can't wait to hear some good news.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#430 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Just ONE :)  One little gummy bear with a lovely heartbeat (around 150)...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#431 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Congrats, Wishin'!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

#432 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM

congrats wishin' and knitting! hearing that heartbeat sound is always so wonderful! love.gif

me read.gif + dw crochetsmilie.gif + twins.gif twins.gif= stillheart.gif

member of mdc since 2008, now with new identity

#433 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Just ONE :)  One little gummy bear with a lovely heartbeat (around 150)...

Way to break a trend! Just kidding.:) Congrats! What fabulous news!

#434 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Knitting as lovely as double or triple blessings might be!  I'm so glad your duo had such healthy, happy, heart rates!!  We haven't decided on a practitioner yet for prenatal/l&d--but the options that are covered by our insurance are very limited.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#435 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Congrats to Wishin and Knitting on those healthy, beautiful heartbeats!  heartbeat.gif  Fantastic news.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#436 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

yay and congrats, Knitting and Wishin!!!

three more days left in September....threadkeeper, anyone...anyone (Bueller, Bueller?)  Cananny?

so i have to share my horrible "pregnant on public transport" experience from today.  i'm still having severe pain and mobility issues, so i don't go out very often, but tonight there was this awesome "aquagym prénatal" class where we prepare our bodies for giving birth and learn all kinds of very AP-oriented stuff.  anyway, i had to take the tram back home from it, and when i got on there were no free seats.  i've finally started asking people to let me sit down (since no one *ever* offers me a seat), and, usually, people are great about standing up for me.  today, however, i made the mistake of asking a rather entitled-feeling man if i could have his place.  i busted out my super polite French when i asked, and the response i got was this, "i'm 61 years old!  why don't you ask the young woman next to me??"  i was completely nonplussed by his response, and i stammered something about being pregnant and needing to sit down, at which point, the girl next to him jumped up and left for another part of the tram.  i took her seat and the guy continued to go on about how he's 61 and shouldn't have to give up his seat.  i tried to be nice and told him that i took him for someone much younger (but since when is 61 old??), but that just pissed him off more and he started telling me how he knew all about what it was like to be pregnant because he has four kids.  at that point my hormones kicked in, and i said "Oh really??  You've been pregnant?  How incredible!"  the people standing around us started laughing, but that didn't stop the guy from telling me that he didn't need to be pregnant to know exactly what it was like.  he has four kids and all, so he knows.  i just sat there shaking my head saying, "it's *not* the same thing," and he said that we would just have to disagree on that point.  splat.gif when i told him my 61-year-old father always gives up his seat to pregnant women, he got defensive and said he would, too, but i should have asked the young woman first.  

of course, i burst into tears the minute i got home and saw DP.   aaah, hormones..

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#437 of 641 Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Oh, I am so sorry about that nosreves! Just reading that made my blood boil. What a jerk!

First appointment at OB office tomorrow...of course they could only get me in to see the nurse and I get to meet the doctor next Tuesday (another 3 hour drive and $100 plane ticket!). Here's to hoping I don't get any strange looks when they read my paperwork about being married to a woman (DW can't come with me tomorrow...but can on Tuesday). I REALLY don't want to have to find another OB but will if it doesn't feel right.

#438 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Nos, It's kind of a shame the woman got up so you had to sit next to him. Seeing someone be pregnant is very different than being pregnant.  Sara saw me pregnant and still thought it was a good idea. Bwa Ha Ha Ha.  I hope you feel better soon.

Lise, you have to go off island for every visit? They can't coordinate care with a local doc/NP/midwife?

Soren is nearly 5 months old now. 

Shay is a silly nurser.  Yes he has his hand in Sara's glass of water while nursing in a crawling position. 

#439 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Hi, all!

Every time I let a few days pass without checking this board it explodes, I swear! 

Congrats to Wishin' and Knitting on happy healthy heartbeats! There truly is nothing else in the world like that sound. 

Nosreves your public transport experience sounds horrible. I am sometimes so stunned by people's entitlement and hostility. What is so terrible about showing a little kindness to strangers? The other day DP and I were eating at a restaurant and I was having trouble getting out of the booth. The server rushed over to pull the table out for me, and it was such a simple kind gesture that of course it made me weepy. It meant nothing to her, but totally made my day. I can't understand why people wouldn't want to put that kind of energy out into the world rather than such aggressive hostility. That said, I would have had a really hard time not punching anyone in the nose who tried to tell me that they understand what it is like to be pregnant if they had never been pregnant. I was just saying yesterday to another pregnant friend of mine that I really had absolutely no idea how physically difficult everyday tasks would become! I am so sorry that you had to deal with this ass.

I was going to speak up and volunteer to be the next threadkeeper, but then I realized that you and I both would be giving birth during the period for the next thread. How crazy is that?

Cananny thanks for sharing those ultrasound photos. I was lying awake last night because someone was doing a dance routine in my uterus and I was thinking about how wild it must be to have three in there! In case I didn't say this before, hats off to you and the other multiples mamas!

AFM, I have been dealing with another bout of the periodic spotting I have thanks to me low-lying placenta. It is painless and the baby is fine (and actually a good sign that my placenta is moving up according to my MW), but it still completely freaks me out every time. This round has been particularly bad, which has put me into a bit of a funk, I am afraid. I am just really tired of it and would like to be able to not have to stress about this for the rest of my pregnancy. I am supposed to be going in next week for yet another ultrasound to confirm that the previa has cleared, but at my mw's suggestion, I think I am going to try and postpone it for a couple more weeks in order to give my body as much time as possible to do it's thing. I will be 29 weeks next week and I would like to but it off to 31 or 32 weeks. If it doesn't move up, I will have to completely change my birth plans (from home birth to c-section) and I would really like to know one way or the other so I can really get down to the business of planning for my homebirth - until then, I am in a bit of a state of limbo.

Hope all of you are enjoying these last few days of September!

#440 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Nos ... APPALLING!  Had I been on that tram with you I would've ripped into him on your behalf.  I am horrified at how people have decided to be so rude as to not automatically leap out of their seats for mamas!  Pregnant or with young children!  

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#441 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was going to add that usually it *is* the older men who give up their seats, being that they remember a time when that was expected.  I've had old men creak to standing to give me their seat and INSIST that I take it while they berate the younger men who didn't.  Shame on that grumpy gus.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#442 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Nos, I am so sorry you had to deal with that. When O and I rode the metro home from work/daycare together everyday in DC, I was always startled by how few people offered us seats. I didn't use a stroller (too much on the metro for a 2 year old), but would often end up holding her by the time we were on the train, and often people would just stand there staring as I juggled 35 pounds of childflesh and tried not to lose my grip on the railing. I would usually find a very entitled looking business man and position myself directly in front of him that so her feet would be in his face.

I really don't miss that. Blah.

#443 of 641 Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Nos, I  like to think encounters like that are a HUGE anomaly...but yikes and I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that idgit!  On the other end of the spectrum...the second my congregation (I'm clergy) found out I was pregnant with our 2 y/o they started acting as if any physical exertion might possibly be dangerous for me and I spent oodles of time trying to dissuade frail and otherwise elderly folk from doing things like taking heavy boxes of food goods for our food pantry away from me--you know, b/c carrying a moderately heavy box of peanut butter jars might hurt the baby (seriously, I had 80 year olds walking with walkers try to hold doors for me).  There seemed to also be a general fear that I might give birth at any SECOND--you know, like during the Eucharist ;)  

#444 of 641 Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Cananny--do you still need diapers? Someone gave us some pocket dipes back before Edie was born and we've never used them. I'd be happy to send them on if you think they'd be useful, just PM me your address.

Amanda--I hope the sleeping has been going better. Maybe a futon would be good for her anyway for a few years since she'll be able to get in and out of it herself? Very Montessori, at the least. Thanks for the sympathy on the cold. It's apparently here to stay, for all of us. greensad.gif Pumpkin patch is in 2 weeks! You guys should come! And, finally, I have been thinking a lot about your friend recently--partly because of what our family has been going through (more below) but even before that just generally she pops into my thoughts fairly frequently. I hope that she and her baby are doing well.

knitting--yay for 2 good heartbeats!

and Wishin--yay for 1!

Nos--61 is so not old. And I used to stand with my belly essentially shoved into peoples' faces on the train. Shame on him for not giving you that seat. Does he not think anyone ever gave up their seat for his wife any of those four pregnancies? I really think there is karma to work off for things like that!

lise-how did the appointment go?

Kateadelle--sounds like a good plan to wait and know for sure what you're going to have to do. I'm glad it's moving for you, but sorry about the stress! I would freak out, too!

AFM--we've been in the middle (though technically on the periphery) of a big family crisis here for the past couple days. DP's cousin found out that the little girl she was carrying has a pretty severe anomaly in one of the veins in her brain. The baby started showing signs of stress so last night they did an emergency c-section (she was at 34 weeks, so it could have been worse on that front) and took her immediately in to surgery to try to fix it. Thankfully she came out with her eyes open, and started crying shortly thereafter, which set them in good spirits. The surgery also managed to close 90% of the anomaly, which is much better than they expected. They're hoping to be able to go back in later this week and close off the other 10%. She's potentially looking at a really long nicu stay, and her parents will need to balance that with caring for their two boys back at home, plus recovering from the csection itself. The really good part is that from what I can tell, if they manage to fix this now and she pulls through, it sounds like there will probably not be any long-term damage to her heart or brain. So we've been crying and worrying and wondering what we can do on and off since we found out on Tuesday. Last night Edie was up from 2:30-4 or so talking at full volume. She's never done that before, and it coincided pretty exactly with the timing that her little cousin's surgery ended. We looked at each other and both wondered if she was talking to the baby, which is silly, but reassuring somehow. Anyway, if you could keep them in your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#445 of 641 Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Anyone ever get a low grade fever in early pregnancy? I felt like I had one so I took my temp--and it is at 100 (I normally sit at 97). I did get a flu shot yesterday....maybe that is it? I took a tylenol but need to figure out what to do if it doesn't go back down...

#446 of 641 Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Isa, I'm thinking of your family. Let us know if there's anything more concrete we can do. Congratulations on the new baby cousin!

Lise, I get fevers like they're cool.  I think I had at least one fever every early pregnancy and I tend not to worry about them for myself.

The suspicion that the shot contributed is a fair one. The fever means your immune system is working. The fever will probably not go very high, if you are worried, your doctor has someone on call.  They are generally happy to talk to you because they understand that 5 minutes of their time can wipe away hours of worry.

Rest and soup are good. I hope you feel better soon.

#447 of 641 Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks, Seraf. Unfortunately after I posted that there were some complications and they had to say goodbye. She was a beautiful little girl, and we're all still in shock. I'm sure her parents made the right decisions, there just wasn't anything anyone could do. We're waiting to hear what happens next and if we can be of any help, and are cuddling our baby closer than usual.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#448 of 641 Old 09-30-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

isa -- i'm so sorry...this just breaks my heart. 

#449 of 641 Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Oh NO! Isa, I am so incredibly sorry to hear this. Keeping your entire family in my thoughts.

#450 of 641 Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Isa--so sorry for your family's loss.  brokenheart.gif

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Pregnancy , Pregnancy Birth Books , Pregnancy Week By Week , Healthy Pregnancy , Ovulation Pregnancy Tests

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page