Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 641 Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

starling -- hugs right back to you.  i'm am so very sorry about your friend.  i know you'd been helping with her care during her illness, and i can't imagine the sense of loss you must be feeling right now.  i hope you are able to slow down soon and have the time to mourn and just be with your own family.  hug2.gif

seraf -- i was teasing you ;)  .  i know Sara is carrying the other half of the load there.  i am still pretty amazed by all that you both accomplish given how much you have on your plates.  

kate -- mmmm chocolate. dark works, right?  

afm...i had what was supposed to be my final u/s today, and the baby is head down with his back to the right.  the midwife said everything looked fine *except* that he looked to have one foot slightly turned inward.  i looked up the word she used, and the English translation is "clubfoot".  DP said that she emphasized the word "slightly" and pointed it out (i couldn't see the monitor well). the midwife also said several times that she didn't think it was a big deal and that it may just be lack of space or how he's positioned, but of course i'm now worrying.  she had us schedule another u/s for Friday with the experienced ultrasound doctor to double check.    

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#602 of 641 Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM

starling--I am so incredibly sorry about your loss. hug.gif

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#603 of 641 Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Nos, I wish I had a picture, but Alex was born with his foot bent inward in a funny way, and his toes curled in that direction to match. It was totally from way he was crammed in there - his foot returned to normal within a few days. I wish we'd gotten a good photo - the curled toes were so sweet, in a "ah, so that's what was poking me in the ribs for the last month" way.

And hugs to starling - I'm so sorry, and I too hope you get the space you need to heal, soon.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#604 of 641 Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

amy -- thank you so much for responding with that. :)

Ex-pat gal (40y.o.) in France and her Froggy wife (42y.o.).  Expecting a little (brussel) "sprout"  in Dec 2012 after a year of at-home inseminations and three medicated IUIs in Belgium.  

#605 of 641 Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM

nosreves dark chocolate is my favorite! Reading your story about the ultrasound actually made me kind of mad. I wish these people would be more careful with their words! I am sure that everything is fine and that your boy was just in a funky position (it is getting kind of tight in there!). I am so sorry that you are having to worry about this! Please do let us know what you find out on Friday, though.

starling so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. 

#606 of 641 Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Nosreves - Threadcrashing to say that my sister's boy was born four years ago with one of his feet turned in, and it went away on its own before long -- not sure exactly how long, but certainly in plenty of time for him to start walking. He walked normally and at the normal age.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#607 of 641 Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Not that this post is in any way sufficient, but I had to stop in real quick. 

Starling - big, big hugs.  I'm really sorry your friend had such a terrible cancer.  That family is lucky to have you around.  

and 

nosreves!  I am certain that your son is perfect, no matter how he comes out.  I do wish that ultrasound tech had been more sensitive, ugh.  Hug that DP of yours for us, since we can't be there to help out!  That baby will be here before we know it.  <3 

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#608 of 641 Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nos--I had feet turned in when I was born--they made me wear some crazy boot straightening bar thing to help fix it. But now they don't do that to kids because eventually they realized that TONS of kids are born with feet turned a little, and as Outdoorsy said it fixes itself on its own.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#609 of 641 Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Starling--so sorry for your friend, for your friend's family and for you as you stand in the midst of it.  hug2.gif

Nosreves--there are so many points when I wonder if there is such a thing as too much information...I'm glad that the osteopath has brought you some relief and sorry that the ultrasound brought a new worry (tho' it sounds like lots of folks have had a bit of experience with slightly crooked, and absolutely adorable, baby feet!)  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#610 of 641 Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Nos, I see lots of kids with their feet turned in.  No one ever gets excited about it unless it's actual club foot, which I'm not even sure you can really SEE on an ultrasound anyways, since babies move around so much.  And even if his foot IS turned in, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do about it now anyways.  :)  Worry about it when it's actually an issue, otherwise put it out of your head and enjoy the last few (if rather uncomfortable) weeks of pregnancy you have left!!  :D

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#611 of 641 Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Starling - I'm so sorry about your friend.  I hope you and her family are grieving and healing.

AFM - We had our last appointment today with the fertility department.  I will kind of miss seeing them all on a regular basis even though I'm not because I've graduated.  They did an ultrasound and we got to see our 1 perfect baby!  We were both hoping there would be 2, but we will get over it quickly enough.  We are so grateful to be having one baby.  It measured on track and we got to see and hear the heartbeat.  It was pretty freakin' cool.  Here is a picture of our little doodlebug.  It's a pdf.  I hope you can see it.  I am now turned over to my regular OB.  They gave me a big folder of stuff to read through and forms to fill out.  I will have my first prenatal appointment in the middle of November.  It feels much more real now and I feel like I have so much to think about and so many decisions to make.

I've been feeling fairly decent.  I didn't eat enough yesterday afternoon and I ended up vomiting at work.  That was not very fun, but I felt better afterwards.  I hope it doesn't happen too often.  Our bathroom is not very private.  Maybe next time I will have the foresight to run down to the private bathroom at the other end of the hall.  I will be stocking up on healthy protein snacks and such this weekend.  The nausea may not be fun but it is a real sign to me that I am actually pregnant, and that is a nice feeling.

The Bean (2).pdf 57k .pdf file

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#612 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 AM

Pokey--what an adorable bean!  

Knitting--you mentioned boob cozies for bottles awhile back...forgot to tell you that thinking about that makes me giggle!  

AFM--we ALL went to the midwife intake yesterday (it was just with a nurse).  I can't say I enjoyed trying to keep an overtired, squirming 2.5 year old still and quiet during the appt!  But, we both wanted to be there because we were hoping to get a quick doppler listen (I hadn't heard the babe's heartbeat yet).  So, after a prolonged period of anxious silence the midwife finally found the heartbeat--a lovely 160 bpm!  It took her a bit b/c most folk have their intake around week 7/8 and since we transferred from the RE it was at week 11.5 and the baby was higher than she realized.  So, in a week and a half we'll go "public"--which I'm looking forward to because I'm an extrovert and since I'm not actually pregnant I need the external affirmation of what we're doing ;)  I think we've decided to forego any first trimester screenings (no nt and no quad screen) b/c it wouldn't affect what our course during this pregnancy would be and we decided the risk of results that worried us, for no reason, are not worth it--we want to try to enjoy this pregnancy w/o worrying about 1/1000 chances etc.  We also did a mall trip for a few maternity items for DW--I love those moments of it all feeling so REAL :)  Otherwise, my best friend and her partner are taking a break from TTC after a little over a year of IUIs--I'm heart sick for her and having some survivor's guilt.  She'll be an amazing mom--and I so wish this was happening faster and easier for her.   

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#613 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

salut, everyone!  i just wanted to thank you all for your words of reassurance and support during my freak out earlier this week. ya'll seriously rock blowkiss.gif

pokey -- what a sweet little bean!  congrats on your graduation!  hearing that heartbeat and seeing the first ultrasound really start to make it all feel real.  i'm soo excited for you!

wishin -- yay for heartbeats and going public!  i'm sorry to hear about your best friend, but hopefully, she'll get a little mental and emotional respite during her ttc break and get her bfp right after getting back into the game.  i know a lot of us on here struggled for a long time before we finally got pregnant.  DP and i got pretty disillusioned and disheartened after nearly two years of setback after setback and impossibly high hurdle after hurdle, but here we are about to welcome our little boy into the world, and it now all seems worth it.  i really hope your friend knows the same joy sometime very soon.

so afm.... we had another u/s today..this one done by a doctor.  she said everything looks fine and that she doubts that there are problems with his foot.  if there is any curvature, she thinks it's something that could easily be corrected with a little bit of physical therapy.  at one point she started laughing and said, "well, some babies suck their thumbs in utero.  yours is smelling his foot," and she took a picture of his face with his little foot directly above his nose.  for some reason, DP and i were terribly pleased by this silliness (as some of you on FB have seen.)    oh, and we were told once again that he's a "beau bébé" (which surprisingly enough does *not* mean a "beautiful baby" but rather refers to the fact that he has a big belly and is therefore a "good-sized baby".) 

#614 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

My wife just told me she had some spotting. She is 5 weeks, 6 days. I am trying not to worry because I know it can be normal, but obviously it is difficult.
#615 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

grouphug.gif  Hang in there!  I know it's really scary, but it might be no big deal at all.  I hope everything is fine and you are both feeling at peace soon.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#616 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM

easttowest--Hoping everything is okay! I know how horrible the unknown is. It is so hard to wait...but there isn't much else you can do. hug.gif What color is the spotting? Is she cramping as well?

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

#617 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

easttowest -- hug2.gif.  i hope it's nothing at all and that the little bean is just settling in more deeply.  

#618 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Easttowest- sending bigs to both of you, and hoping it's no big deal. I had spotting at exactly that time with my daughter, and everything was fine. Fingers crossed.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#619 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM

It was brown, but now it's pink.  She says she's had cramping on and off today, but she has also had it for the past week.  The ob/gyn (who she hasn't even met yet) said to take it easy, and she made an appointment on Monday.  Take it easy?  Yeah, ok... we'll try.  Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  Trying to stay hopeful...

#620 of 641 Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM

east--I cramped a bit (normal in early pregnancy) and had pink and then bright red...and as far as I know, everything is okay--at least it stopped. Have her put a pillow under her knees while laying down--that is supposed to help. I am thinking of you two!

#621 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 AM

Update of one of the worst (and best?) nights ever: Spent over six hours in the ER after spotting turned to bright red bleeding.  We were sure she was miscarrying, and she needed to get the Rhogam shot.  Long story short, we have a heartbeat!  111 bpm and measuring 5w6d, which is exactly where we're at.  Such a relief, but the whole ordeal was terrifying and didn't leave us feeling all too confident.  She did end up getting the Rhogam shot since they classified it as a threatened miscarriage, a term I hated hearing and still hate to think about.  I am putting her on bed rest for the weekend, and now it's practically 3:30 am so I am out, too.  I'm just praying this is the last scare we will have.

I am so thankful for this community.  Otherwise, we would have felt so alone and scared (well, even more so than we did) through it all.

#622 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Easttowest--So scary. I'm glad you got the reassurance that everything is looking good in there. I hope the rhogam helps, and that the rest of the pregnancy is nice and boring for you both! Bedrest sounds like an excellent idea!

Pokey--so cute! Congrats on one healthy bean!

Wishin--Yay for a heartbeat! We didn't do the tests, either, for the same reason. And I'm sorry about your friend. Hopefully her next try will be the one!

Starling--I know I said it over on facebook, but I'm so sorry about your loss. I've been thinking about you and your friend a lot over the past week.

Nos--Glad to hear that it is probably nothing, and that your babou is getting nice and plump!

AFM--Edie is rolling all over the place. We have tried to talk to her about staying on her (rapidly expanding) blanket kingdom, but she still rolls off in search of new adventures. The doctor took one look at her yesterday and told us to babyproof, because she thinks we'll be seeing her pull up onto stuff really soon. Yikes. We also had a friend take some pictures for a calendar, so here is some of the cuteness!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#623 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 AM

east--Oh my goodness! How scary--but relieving at the same time! So glad to hear that there is a heartbeat!

isa--haha! I love the "We Can Chew It". So cute!

#624 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Isa, those pictures are hilarious.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#625 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Isa, that is one of the more adorable babies I have ever seen you've got there. smile.gif
#626 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

isa -- those are sooooo frakking cute, and i love love love the We Can Chew It picture.  is this the same friend who did the famous Elton John album cover pregnancy photo?  E. still looks *just* like you, btw.  every time i see her, i remember how you got that weird picture of a book on your pregnancy test and how you went to the parking lot where your DP works with flowers and a children's book when you finally got the betas confirming a BFP.  makes me all teary-eyed thinking about it and looking at that lovely little girl of yours.....  

#627 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM

easttowest - hoping you guys are doing okay and the spotting has stopped.  My DW had spotting around that time, too; our midwife said that it's not uncommon for women to spot during the time their bodies would have been ovulating, if they weren't pregnant.  That made us feel better.  Thinking of you!

nosreves - glad your doctor made you feel better about your boy's foot!  Sounds like everyone here has had a lot of positive experiences and are full of good advice.  Which is why I love you all, so much.  :) 

wishin - yay for going public!  I think we announced on facebook after we'd heard the heartbeat on the doppler.  We just couldn't wait any more.  Actually, I keep meaning to go back and print out all the responses to the announcement to put in Evie's baby book.  Anyway, congrats again!  Sorry about your friend - hopefully she'll be pregnant sooner than later. 

pokey - Happy Graduation!  Adorable bean you have there.  I hope you are feeling okay this weekend. 

Happy Weekend, everyone!  DW and I both read along here every day, but I always feel like I get so behind on chatting with everybody and I put off posting longer and longer... and now here we are, lol.  

Everleigh is eight weeks old today.  Crazy!  She's doing really well, except for that unhappy time at night before bed.  DW has started back very part time at work, so Ever and I have had a few afternoons being alone together, and I'll feel more confident once she's taking milk from her bottle more reliably.  Practice, practice!  I think next week DW's hours are increasing, so we'll see how it goes.  Friday is my first full day with Ever, I took it off from work so I could spend the entire day with her.  

Awhile back, Seraf asked if I was breastfeeding, and I thought everybody should get an update.  I had milk when she was born and kept pumping and expressing.  We planned to wait two weeks after she was born to let DW establish a good supply before I'd breastfeed.  Well, when we did start trying to get her to latch, it was very frustrating for both Ever and me.  My nipples are short and stubby and my breasts were full, so it was difficult for her and she was used to having a real easy time latching onto DW, since she's got much smaller breasts and longer, larger nipples.  She would just scream and cry and refuse to even try to latch, and since I wasn't the primary breastfeeder, we'd always transfer her back to DW.  I tried using a shield, which she could latch onto, but my milk supply was not plentiful like DW's so Ever had to work hard to get milk out.  That frustrated her too, since drinking from DW is like drinking from a hose.  

After a week or so of trying, I decided it wasn't worth all the effort of pills and pumping and stress.  I stopped taking all the supplements and meds and stopped pumping and life has been much simpler since then.  I thought I'd feel disappointed or regret that I didn't try harder - but I don't feel that way at all.  DW is doing a great job feeding and nourishing our daughter, and my relationship with Evie is perfect the way it is.  And now I know that I can get milk in!  It would have been a lot more convenient if Ever would nurse from me as well as DW, but the way we're doing it seems just fine.  

Well, here are some pictures of our girl! 

Mom and Mama to our Ever so clever daughter (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#628 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Egad, the cuteness!!!!  Wow!!!!!!  Oh, I so hope that everything works out for us for a "take home" baby in May! 

#629 of 641 Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM

easttowest, so glad you got some reassuring news, and I hope that things have calmed down. Yes to bedrest!

Isa and Desert, I seriously cannot stand the cuteness! Beautiful, beautiful babies!

Nos, thinking of you in this final stretch! Your class in the pool sounds dreamy.

Starling, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sending you love and hugs.

Wishin', how are you guys feeling? I was happy to go public on FB (which we did at 12 weeks), because I felt like I was omitting something important every time I posted anything. I am not good at keeping secrets, apparently.

All is well here. I'm still nauseous, but it's not as horrible as it had been, so that's something. I just get so tired these days. I'm embarrassed to say that DD has watched a fair amount of PBS Kids on my watch (or lack thereof) lately while I'm passed out on the couch. Oops.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#630 of 641 Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

i just wanted to put out another request for a threadkeeper for Nov, Dec and Jan.   i'm at 33 weeks now and am hoping this little guy will hang out for at least another five weeks, but it would be great if someone could take over just in case.  usually, the threadkeeper is someone who isn't in the first or third trimester, so if any of you second trimester gals are interested, let me know! merci!

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Pregnancy , Pregnancy Birth Books , Pregnancy Week By Week , Healthy Pregnancy , Ovulation Pregnancy Tests

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page