Queer & Pregnant & Parenting - July, August, September, and now October! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no, no, no, no, Carmen... that breaks my heart. sending you much loving light. xo

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#122 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Carmen, I've so been rooting for you. You have so many here who are hoping and praying for a healthy baby for you... This news is heartbreaking.

Me: 27, DW: 31, Mamas to G: 5-17-10 luxlove.gif

My sweet surro-babe was born on 6-27-12 coolshine.gif

#123 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Thx rose and ks. I know I was sort of expecting it but I've been having much stronger pregnancy symptoms and actually thought there was a good change everything was going to be fine.

Unfortunately this is the end of the road for us. This is m/c #8 (3 before DD and 5 this time around) and I just can't do it anymore physically or emotionally. I'm going to be 42 this year and I just can't help feeling like I'm pushing things in a way they're not meant to be pushed. I feel like my heart will never heal from not having another child but I have to say enough is enough. Good luck to everyone, you've all been such an important part of my journey.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#124 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Carmen. I wish there were things we could do, words we could say, that would ease your heartbreak. I know that right now all you can likely manage is getting through to the next day, in hopes that tomorrow might be slightly less painful.
You and your family is in my heart and in my thoughts. I am so sorry that you're experiencing this again.

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#125 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Carmen grouphug.gif

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#126 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Carmen grouphug.gif

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#127 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Damn, Carmen, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this again.  Many hugs to you.  Sending you love & support. xoxoxo

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#128 of 641 Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh no, Carmen, no, no, no. I am so sad for you and your family. So sad. So very sad. I'm so sorry that you're going through this again.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#129 of 641 Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 AM

Carmen, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something that could be done to help with this baby, but I also hope a child comes into your life to fill your heart and family when the time is right.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#130 of 641 Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM

Carmen, you sound so sad.  That's awful.  Is there anything that us far-away-cyberspace-folks can do for you?

#131 of 641 Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Carmen-I'm so very sorry for you and your family.  I know how much you want a sibling for your DD.  I hope that you find a wonderful way to make that happen in the future.  We are all here to support you no matter what.  Take care.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#132 of 641 Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Well folks, today is my first day off the birth control pill and on the breastmilk-inducing herbs, in addition to the domperidone (that I've been on for six months).  Just this morning, I used the pump for the first time and GUESS WHAT.  There was a droplet of milk on my left nipple, and several droplets on my right!  I am so very impressed with my breasts this morning, lol.  I realize there's a long road and a lot of work ahead of me, but I feel like this is a good sign and it helps me feel a lot more optimistic about my venture.  

Thanks for letting me drop in and share!!

partners.gif Mom and Mama to our incredible new daughter, Everleigh Jane (9.1.12)! We have a blog, too!
#133 of 641 Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Desert, that's great! If it means anything, my wife also was able to get drops when she pumped for the first time, and by the time G was born, she had an awesomely abundant milk supply. I think she probably could have singlehandedly fed our baby, at least as a newborn, if it was ever necessary. They say it might take a while to get anything at all or that you might never make any milk, depending on how your body reacts to the protocol, so I think it's really promising to see milk right away!

#134 of 641 Old 07-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi all!

Hugs to everyone around here! I’m sorry everyone is having such a tough summer. Lots of love to Sara and Crystal. I think of you both often.

Carmen—I’m so, so sorry. I can’t imagine. We’re all here for you however you need us, whenever that might be.

Ahope—YAY on your friend’s girl! Congratulations to her—she must be thrilled! I’m hoping to get up into the attic sometime in the next couple days to sort out the things that E has already outgrown, so I’ll have a nice pile of girl-clothes for her (most from you, but I’m also throwing in a fair number of things my mom bought that aren’t my style—if she hates them I will in no way be offended, I’d just rather give them to your friend than throw them in the thrift store donation bin). I’m glad L enjoyed her hotdog—I’m a big fan!

Desert—that’s great! Hopefully it’ll keep coming!

hi to everyone else!

AFM—we’re finally home again. It was quite the trip, overall! E seems happy to be home (though we’re pretty sure she doesn’t really remember it much) and we are excited to get all of our junk put away and finally settle in to some sort of routine. I’m getting nervous about work on Tuesday and am trying (but failing) to cut down on the number of over-the-top preparations (groceries! Lunches! New wardrobe! Etc!) and instead focus on just spending as much time with my baby as I can before I’m away from her so much. In fun other news, breastfeeding only bought me three months before my first stupid post-partum period. Blech. DP and I talked briefly about buying a vial and playing sperm roulette this month just for the hell of it, but we have better places to spend the money, and if it did work and I got pregnant I think we’d be sorry we didn’t wait longer.

She's here! joy.gif
#135 of 641 Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Welcome home, Isa!  Whoa, you only got three months before that witchy AF showed up again?!  That stinks.  I'm sorry.  Glad your trip went well, and you're all safely home! 

#136 of 641 Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Isa, I can't imagine being pregnant with a young infant! Good call on waiting! Besides, your cycles might very well be quite unpredictable for a little while.

#137 of 641 Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Isa: AF already?!  Ugh. I got mine back after 4 months with Z but still haven't gotten it back this time. I'm grateful, though the difference is probably due to Lilah's nursing throughout the night. eyesroll.gif  I can't believe you start work tomorrow! That is such a hard transition. Please let us know how it goes.

Desert: Way to go with the milk droplets!  That's really exciting. 

Dandy: How are things going today?

Carmen: Thinking of you today.

Crystal: How goes it? What is your little guy up to these days? 

Wehrli: inseminating?

AFU: Well, OK was ok (ahem). We landed only to find out that my nephew had hand, foot, and mouth disease.  My brother and sister in law decided that since it was a mild case and he probably wasn't contagious anymore, they didn't need to alarm us.  Even though they and my niece all had low fevers.  UGH. I nearly freaked out but managed to stay calm as we planned for how to minimize direct contact while spending time together (lots of museums).  Then we got to the motel, where my in-laws had already checked us in, and we were in the pet section.  The floor was dirty (great for crawling Lilah), and the doggies were loud.  But it was super late.  So we changed rooms the next day.  Oh, and it was 110 degrees.  And my sister in law is a complete control freak, to the point that she was clearly uncomfortable letting me wash out my own breastmilk bottles in her sink (she pumps exclusively, so it wasn't a milk issue--just an issue letting anyone use her sink, since she has everything in its exact place all of the time--and what if I used the WRONG bottle brush?!).  And we were sharing a vehicle with my in-laws, who bicker about everything in the car, including where to park (ie, how much shade is enough?).  Despite all this, we had a decent time, because we went to four different, really great museums, and Lilah ROCKED the baby wearing.  She slept and nursed in carriers, on my front and back.  It was so cuddly and cozy and convenient! And  Zoe is the perfect age for museums, taking everything in, constantly pulling us over to share her discoveries, respecting the rules without any reminding, and showing such curiosity and enthusiasm about natural history, art, and culture.  Both girls loved the Chihuly glass exhibit at the OK Museum of Art.  Lilah kept spinning her head back and forth in the carrier as I walked so she could keep looking at the amazing bright colors.  It was good to meet my little nephew, though I wish I could have held him and let Lilah interact with him more directly. I'm afraid that my niece is on the autism spectrum and has yet to be diagnosed--sigh. Life is complicated but good.  Now we are here this week. TOMORROW is Lilah's birth day, so I've been trying to finish up the long version of her birth story. And on Friday we leave for nearly a month in the Pacific NW and BC. I can't wait to get back to the coast!!

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#138 of 641 Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM

isa, wow, that was a quick return. Mine returned at 13 months after DD.

Afm: Thanks again for the kind words everyone. We were out of town for the weekend so it was a good distraction. Unfortunately I still have super sore breasts, nausea, etc. which is really painful to experience. When I *actually* think about not being pregnant again I have a complete panic attack. So I'm not thinking about it. I have a follow up u/s next Monday when I expect there to be no heartbeat. We're going to move on to adoption in the next few months and see where that journey takes us.

#139 of 641 Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 AM

Hi everyone, I haven't been here in awhile, but I wanted to check in and say hello.

Carmen, my heart is heavy for you. I'm so sorry that this appears to be happening again, and I'm sending you much love.

Crystal, I'm so sorry about your relationship. I know what you're going through and my heart is aching for you. A few years ago, my 13 year relationship ended abruptly, and I lost who I thought was my best friend and my life partner in one shot. We didn't have kids, but we were planning them, and I was absolutely devastated by her announcement that we were over. I know it seems hopeless now, but it will get easier. I met my wonderful DP just a short while later, and I began to see the holes and flaws in my previous relationship, and now DP and I are married with a beautiful son. You have a beautiful little one who is so lucky to have you for a mom!! Hang in there, surround yourself with good friends and supports, and take it one day at a time. Message me if you ever want to talk.

AFU, we are doing well. Adair is a strong little boy, and he keeps us laughing because he's quite a character. I don't know how, at 30 weeks gestational age, he managed to army crawl his way out of his little snuggly pocket to the top of his incubator, but he did. Yesterday, he was so mad at the nurse for adjusting his CPAP tubes, that be pushed his upper body up on his arms (like doing a half push-up) and stayed up.  All the nurses say that the fighters do really well, and we sure have one of those!  I do think we'll be in big trouble when he's a few years older though! And I can't wait! :)  He's still working on the whole breathing thing, but he's slowly being weaned off the supports, and is handling it okay. It's one step forward, and one step back right now, but we hope he'll get to the two steps forward, one step back stage soon.
I'm doing well. I have lots of emotional days and moments, but that's to be expected. It's almost been a month, so only two more to go! Yikes. Slow but sure, right?

I hope you're all well! Sending lots of love.

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#140 of 641 Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Dandy—I’m thrilled to hear that Adair is doing so well! The idea of him army-crawling is darling!

Ahope--ugh to not telling you about being sick. I hope no one caught it! Museums are fun--but even more fun with 10 year olds! I think that 8-11 is the golden age for children. I can't wait until E gets there!

I’m back at work for day #2. It feels a bit surreal, mostly because so much has changed (we basically got a whole new administration while I was gone) and I feel like it’ll take me forever to catch up. On the positive side, though, I have some nice new projects and I forgot how many awesome coworkers I have! Being away from E is sad, but yesterday went pretty quickly and DP reports that all was well on the bottle-feeding and being-a-baby front, which makes it all easier. Not having to take her to daycare for another 2 months is a real blessing—by 5 months I think she’ll be ready to have other kids to play with and we’ll be ok sending her off to play.

In sad news, we decided that our dogs need to find a new home. We’ve been watching them over the past few months with other kids and haven’t found a child yet who doesn’t want to chase them. They aren’t aggressive, but they can get snappy if cornered, and we just couldn’t live with ourselves if they bit anyone’s child and had to be put down. The only other option would be to crate them all the time, and they’re such cuddly, loving little beasts that doing so seems cruel. There’s a dachshund rescue organization that has found a foster home willing to keep them together until they can find a home with people who don’t have children. They’ve been sad since E was born, and this morning she started reaching for Peanut, so it’s the right time to do this, while they don’t have any bad history or health problems that will stand in the way of finding a good home. We’re going to miss them a lot, though, and we feel like big jerks for being the stereotypical new parents who get rid of the pets once the baby is there. I guess being an adult is learning to do what’s right even if you have to eat your good intentions, right?

She's here! joy.gif
#141 of 641 Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM

isa: I'm sorry you have to find a new home for your dogs greensad.gif That must be so hard.

dandy: So nice to hear that Adair is getting so strong. It will be so nice for you to have him home in a couple of months smile.gif

Afm: We just got home from a camping trip that starling invited us to! It was fun to meet her and her lovely family and the other family that was there as well. E is a chatty sweetheart and H is such a content smiley little guy :) It was so cute to hear E and DD having funny little conversations. They are up there for one more night but we just stayed for 2 nights.

In pregnancy news, I started spotting 2 days ago and started bleeding heavy and cramping on the drive home this afternoon. I'm grateful my body is handling this naturally. I'll call tomorrow and cancel Monday's ultrasound.

#142 of 641 Old 07-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Carmen: I'm envious of the camping trip with Starling's family.  Regarding the m/c, I know it is best that your body is doing its needed work on its own, but I'm still so sad for you. greensad.gif  I am, however, looking forward to hearing about your adoption journey.

Isa: Poor you and DP having to re-home the pooches.  Hugs to you during this difficult transition in your family. grouphug.gif

Dandy: Go Adair! He sounds feisty! Hoping for two steps forward soon.

AFU: We head to the NW today.  I've been looking forward to this trip all summer.  We'll be in Olympia with my brother and his beautiful family this weekend, then Seattle to see friends for two days, then San Juan Island with my whole family for 10 days, then BC with my best friend and her family for a week.  Whew!  I'm taking five different carriers (two ring slings, a wrap conversion mei tai, a buckle carrier, and my fern wrap), and it was still hard choosing which ones to leave home!  I'm hoping that keeping Lilah close will help her through the flux of the next three weeks. It really is a lot of travel, but to see the people and places I love most, so I hope it will be worthwhile. The five hour flight today, however, will be rough. No doubts about it.  Deep breaths namaste.gif.

Partner rainbow1284.gif of 17 yrs to DP,  Mommy to 10-yr-old Z blowkiss.gif, and Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11 luxlove.gif.

#143 of 641 Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Amanda I hope our weather will co-operate for you!  Where in BC are you headed?  The Vancouver pride parade is August 4th, the Dyke March is the 3rd.  Have a lovely lovely vacation, it sounds fabulous!!!

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#144 of 641 Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Carmen, hugs. No one should have to go through that. It certainly is a reminder of how special your daughter is.

AmandaHope, we only took 2 slings to Chicago. For 2 babies and 3 days. So it makes sense that you would need 5 wraps for 1 baby and 15 days.  We have been thinking that it would be nice to meet up with you in indianapolis someday, like when life settles down again.

Dandy, I haven't been following your blog lately (new phone in a week and a half) so I'm glad to hear an update.  We think of your family often. 

AFM, Soren and Sara are spending their first overnight away from me since the hospital.  Sara got a photo gig for the weekend and a friend up there is going to watch him while she does the actual work.  LOL, I wasn't invited.  Shay has taken a step on 3 occasions. He will be 9 months next week. He is 24 pounds and 30 inches. Dude is large.  He has 6 teeth (2 top middle, 2 bottom middle and top and bottom left. Yeah, baby!). I'm back at work, and getting a seasonal part time job. 

#145 of 641 Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM

carmen - hug2.gifI'm so sorry. This isn't fair. Where ever you go next, we will be here for you and rooting for your fam.

sara - sounds like work is picking up a bit? I hope things are going well that way. Super stressful when work isn't as many hours as you need, etc... I hope everyone is well!

ahope - yeah for vacation! enjoy!!!

dandy - go adair go! We had fun at the first wellington waterloo queer fam meet up - can't wait to meet adair at one! it won't be long, you guys are doing great. Let us know if there is anything anything anything.

hello to everyone!

I`ve been on this board for over a year now - I realized - and wanted to say thanks to everyone for making it a great place to hang out :)

QUESTION: for all you lovely babywearin folks. I have a woven ring sling, an ergo, and a moby wrap. I`m thinking about getting another carrier. I am thinkign of a woven wrap - anyone have experience with thisÉ I want something that I can wear on both shoulders for sure. Something with more position options than the ergo (which I love also). I don`t want to spend alot but if you recommend some ideas, I`ll keep an eye on it used. I can also make my own wrap - just wondering about fabrics, etc. I want not stretchy. My little one is 16 pounds.

afm - We are adding a twin bed to our queen to make a monster fam bed. Sage sleeps so well with some space. THe crib sidecar wasn`t working for us this time around and there was a huge sale on natural mattresses, so we decided to go this way. DP had been sleeping on the couch to acheive sleeping harmony... We don`t have a foundation for the twin so now she will be sleeping on the mattress on the floor beside our bed. Poor DP. She doesn`t care, but she is lowest on the fam sleeping chain.

And in other crazy news - our family was in a car with funnel clouds overhead and no shelter for a lonng time. scariest ride of my life. We don`t get a lot of tornado activity up here. The sky was green. leaves were floating all around like a snowglobe. I was pumping milk in the front seat, feeding sage via bottle reaching into the back while DD1 slept just so we could get the hell outta there. We had left our sister`s cottage - which had tonnes of damage, and the cottage next door flattened. no one hurt! but yikes.

all is well - we are back home and enjoying the summer :) hi everyone!

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#146 of 641 Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

onemommy ... Scary indeed! My mom and I were on a road trip in Colorado once and a tornado warning came up on the radio as the sky blackened and the wind grew fierce.  We had to rive another hour until we found a truck stop where we waited it out with the truckers and other stranded folks.  The truck stop made free pancakes for everyone!

As for wraps, I have a 5 metre Vatanai that is my go-to work horse.  I got it used, and so it was all soft and worked in already.  I can do all the wraps that require longer fabric, but it's a bit cumbersome for the shorter ones.  I would drool for a Girasol, or a Storch ... such gorgeous colours!  I will add a caveat that I use the woven less this time, because of wanting a quick in and out, what with having E as well as H.

Amanda ... Are you going to the island again?  Let me know the dates.  You never know, we could maybe do a day trip and have coffee with you!  Maybe I could convince Carmen and S to come along!

Dandy ... Great to hear from you!  Go Adair!  dust.gif

Seraf ... Too bad the whole gang couldn't go with!  But great that Sara got a photo gig!  

AFM:  We had a great time camping!  Awesome to meet Carmen and her family.  S is an adorable whip-smart delight, and talks up a storm.  I love, love, love the little conversations that she and E had.  I just wanted to follow them around with a tape recorder.  (Do they even make tape recorders any more?)  It was neat to meet someone from MDC in real life!  I am still really close with my DDC from E, but we live all over North America, so a meet up isn't likely.  Let's try to make a BC coffee date, Amanda!

While camping, H wandered around on his own and managed not to get hurt or in too much trouble, even with all the forest floor to be put in his mouth or the resident bear to contend with.  And then wouldn't you know it, we got home and he choked on a piece of apple.  As in, coughed, stopped coughing, (insert heavy duty angle-down back blows here) turned red, turned blue, went limp.  I called 911 and while I was on the phone with the charge (a friend on mine, as it turned out) the apple popped out in a couple of chunks.  I drove us to the ER anyway because he'd gone blue and I didn't know how much apple he'd choked on.  They did a chest x-ray and an ENT consult and then we got the okay to go come.  Scary!  

On the subject of choking (and Seraf, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!), for those of you who do baby-led weaning and are less cautious about mashing and pureeing everything (we don't), have you had any choking episodes?  It never happened with E, but H is such a different kind of kid.  E has only ever gone to the hospital twice in 3.5 years, once for a burn (a waitress spilled hot coffee on her that resulted in serious burns) and for a fever that made her listless and wouldn't break.  I have a feeling that I'm in for it with H! 

About risk, in general, I am a very free-range parent, but H is testing my comforts with what has been mostly a philosophy until now.  E is so much more cautious and mindful and physically reticent, I'm finding it a whole new ball game with H.  I'd love to hear thoughts about this too!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#147 of 641 Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM

OMOM, all my wraps have been homemade (just a cut of fabric).  Thicker material is more comfortable in general, but I'm pretty happy with thin muslin stuff. I'm not sure if you live someplace awesome, but near us there is a "lending library" for all different kinds of carriers and wraps.  Finding something like that might be easier than figuring out your favorite based on opinion (since we are all shaped differently).

Starling, first children versus subsequent children.  My first was so careful.  He wouldn't walk until he knew he could run.  His sister would LEAP on anyone or anything that moved past her.  Supervision was more spread out, too.  She had more opportunity to get into dangerous situations.  What kind of risk do you want to talk about? I try to protect Shay from the stairs. We have a gate. Because of our big age gap, I'm not sure if he thinks he is a first or 3rd.  He doesn't get into cabinets or drawers.  I try to keep him away from sharps in general.  I guess I try to keep everything in his reach safe-ish stuff? There are plenty of things for him to get into. Many things to put in his mouth.  He stands, crawls, sticks his hands in the dog's mouth.  Today I pulled a chunk of flip flop out of his mouth.  I have also had to remove such lovely things as rocks, feathers, nuts, magnets, beads, leaves, sticks, poop (his own, he was on a diaper removal kick for a while). His reach is getting higher and faster. I have never put locks on my cabinets, but I may move my knives to a magnet soon, since the drawer is nearly in his reach. He clearly has access to chokables.  I try to keep them up, but they multiply and he turns paper and cardboard into snacks, chewing off chunks all the time.  I also keep pill bottles out of his reach, because he has opened a few and that freaks me out.  Food, he has a had time with apples, too. He has never really choked, but he can get bits of apple up in that area behind his uvula, on the way up to the sinuses.  He did that for the first time recently.  Apple peels seem to be worse than the flesh. He also struggles with big pieces of meat.  I try to make sure they are a reasonable size or shredded loosely, otherwise he will crawl around with meat in his mouth until the next time he eats.  I think he has a harder time than the other 2 did, with swallowing.  I think it's because he wants to really eat more, and they were happy with nursing well past this age.  They didn't eat much for food before a year, and he is voracious (they had food sensitivities that probably hindered their appetite), so I think he tries harder to get things down than they did.

And he's up.

#148 of 641 Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

On the subject of choking (and Seraf, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!), for those of you who do baby-led weaning and are less cautious about mashing and pureeing everything (we don't), have you had any choking episodes?  It never happened with E, but H is such a different kind of kid.  E has only ever gone to the hospital twice in 3.5 years, once for a burn (a waitress spilled hot coffee on her that resulted in serious burns) and for a fever that made her listless and wouldn't break.  I have a feeling that I'm in for it with H! 

We did baby-led weaning. I was (and am) SUPER afraid of choking so we went really slow in terms of what we introduced. We did really soft stuff in small chunks to start and progressed very slowly. The only time DD gagged was when we tried to give her purees a few times ;) She hated them and is still not a huge fan - only recently she'll eat apple sauce! She also never liked us feeding her so blw was sort of our only option anyway ;) My DP was much more adventurous than I was. There were a couple of incidents where we flipped her over and did the back whack but she didn't get to a point of turning blue - just still in the coughing phase and may have been able to get it out on her own anyway. DP said she had to do it once when DD started turning red..I'm really glad I wasn't there for that.

#149 of 641 Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM

Ahhh the second child. Lennon is the most cautious, easy child I have ever met. H is the complete opposite. He has put poop in his mouth when we are outside at least 5 times, he eats mulch, beads, paper, books, you name it. His favorite game is diving off of the couch backwards onto the floor. I am pretty sure I am in for a few heart attacks before he is even 2! He has gagged a couple of times but never actually choked. I never really mashed things too much. I don't offer meat much because he vomits it up a lot but other than that if he can't swallow something he just kind of gags til it comes up. It freaks Chels out and she is always trying to finger sweep the poor kid. 

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 
#150 of 641 Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 AM

I forgot, the list of choking hazard foods. Hot dogs, apples, nuts, carrots, grapes, gummy candy. I don't remember what the other big ones are, but I sometimes wonder if they are larger choking risks or if they're simply fed to kids so frequently that they are choked on more. In nursing school, they said kids shouldn't be fed hot dogs until age 9. That seems more than a little extreme to me.

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Pregnancy , Pregnancy Birth Books , Pregnancy Week By Week , Healthy Pregnancy , Ovulation Pregnancy Tests

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page