Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting! November, December, and January 2013!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BOY!!!  stork-boy.gif

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#302 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM

I have a question for all -What are your opinions on the Baby Bullet?  I am trying to think of ways to cut down the expense of having a newborn since I want to take extra unpaid leave with the next baby.  I want to do cloth diapers and make my own baby food.  Do any of you gals use the Baby Bullet?  Also, I have a very pick eater now and I am wondering if using the Baby Bullet with the daily family meals might help with the next baby liking the foods the whole family eats.  Is this a theory that would work?  I got an expensive blender at my work Christmas party, but already have a really nice blender and want to exchange it for something I would use, this would probably be the only way I would splurge and get the Baby Bullet, as I tend to have a tight knot on the purse-strings most of the time.

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#303 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Exciting wishin'!!  Of course it would have been equally exciting if it were a girl!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#304 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM

We did baby led weaning (mostly by default--our kid hated purees), and he's always just eaten what we've eaten (initially we started with things like bananas, soft steamed broccoli and avocado).  Initially I thought I would want something like the baby bullet--but in retrospect the period of usefulness in our house would have been really short...and in all actuality not existent. 

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#305 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Wishin, yay for brothers!! 

Esenbee, we have a generic magic bullet that works for baby food and adult food.  We do mostly table food (we're somewhere between BLW and "Cheetos!"), too. Shay was a gigantic baby who was desperate to eat before he could feed himself so we helped him out with mashed steamed apple, sweet potato, carrots, regular banana, etc. I could steam them all before work, mash a few and throw the rest in the freezer for a few days of food. Also, WIC provides a ton of purees if you see them. Soren is 7.5 months and we just chop stuff up and put it on his tray. He snags food from the other kids, too. He would be done with purees already, is all I'm saying.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#306 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Congratulations Wishin'!  biggrinbounce.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#307 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM

I've been following along but haven't chimed in for awhile. I really enjoy reading all yr thoughts and !

Max, i am very excited for you guys! Also curious about the resolution of the middle name situation.

Wishin, yay! Congratulations!! Yay for boys. We are living outs! And I agree with the many of you who have expressed that right now, we know the sex but not the gender!

Cananny, what an awesome belly! Sorry about all the sick times you've been having. Glad yr boys are healthy!!!

Seraf, I hope the little guys get well soon! Also, in response to one of yr comments earlier, we chose not to find out the sex until Wylie was born.

Knitting, heres to you staying flu free! I did acupuncture when I was pregnant (and now) and, if yr into that kind of thing, there are a lot of Chinese medicinal herbs that are safe for pregnancy and nursing that boost immune systems. Just a thought! Hope yr little one recovers soon!

Hello to everyone else!

AFU, now that sleep is going better, we have a new issue..bottles! Wylie first tried a bottle at 6 weeks and wad great with it. We practiced every now and then and never had a problem and so we got a little too relaxed about it I guess, because now he won't drink from a bottle! He'll fuss and drink up to an ounce, but then will simply refuse it! I am going back to work Jan 7 (pt) so I am a little nervous! I'm imagining miserable days with my poor partner trying to bottle feed a screaming baby. greensad.gif anyone else experience/overcome anything like this?

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#308 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Planet, I was only kidding. Soren is the only one we found out the sex for. We had a similar issue with bottles. Shay took them easily and we quit giving them. When I was about to go back to work he refused! We tried everything and had all our back-up plans in place. Day I went back to work, he took a bottle like he had been doing it all his life. He still only takes a few ounces at a time.

#309 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Oops, sorry for double posting!! Don't know how that happened.

Seraf, your story gives me hope!

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#310 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM

I think we have kicking!!!! Lol laying in bed last night I was on the side baby B is and he didn't want me to b laying that way because all of a sudden there was thumping several times... So I moved he stopped I moved back he started again... Lol
I've been feeling a ton of popcorn feeling from baby A the last few days... And today baby c was thumping me when laying on his side... Geeze boys where am I supposed to lay???

Wishin congrats on baby boy!

Cordelia.. Thx it's bitter sweet to leave and I'm going to miss my income but my priority is to grow these boys strong
We are almost 25 weeks!

I am still sick... Been doing every natural remedy I can nothing is helping:( dr said it just will run its course .. They r to scared to let me take anything... I can't do sudafed because if baby b cord issue... And musinex only makes the cough more profound.. He did up the breathing treatments and has me on a steroid inhaler and nose spray... Hoping this clears up soon!!!!

I also had round one of steroid shots to mature the boys lungs in case they get any ideas on coming before 29 weeks...ill get a second dose closer to delivery... I about died when I saw the needle ...

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#311 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM

hey esenbe - i have a little baby food mill that you just put food into and use your hand to turn the mill - no power and very cheap (5 dollars can). I like it because I can bring it anywhere beacuse it is small (smaller than a water bottle) (out to dinner at others homes, on trips, restaurants) and blend up anything that might need a mash (meat, etc). it costs very little, is very easy to clean in the dishwasher (all the parts go in). sage used it starting at 6 months and still likes somethings pureed at 9 months. but she is almost done with it (it really is a short time span).

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#312 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Wishin- Congratulations on finding out it's a boy! stork-boy.gif

Lisedea- The lactation consultant told me to look at this website: asklenore.com and they use the Newman-Goldfarb method.

Cananny- We are in sf but we can travel for play dates occasionally. We are very set on staying mobile.

DarthTuna- I will check out the hand expression video!

Esenbee- I do not have a baby bullet but I have a hand held blender that I love and use for everything, shakes and soups. I never use my blender anymore. We are definitely the type that will feed our baby everything and I don't see the need to buy a lot of extra things.

My lactation appointment could not be set until next week. The nurse said I will most likely be doing the Accelerated Protocol. I've been reading up on it. Who knew I could have started birth control months ago and that would help!? It will be a little more difficult for me because it is a month away but with hormones and pumping I should be able to get some milk.

We still have not picked out a middle name. DP is being very possessive over the whole thing. I had to talk to the birthparents and explain why we have to pick out the name and they were really cool. They said, "Of course, it's your baby and you can name it yourselves." DP unfortunately wants to use his mom's middle name Eileen as one of the middle names and I hate it. I keep shaking my head very time he brings it up.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#313 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Wishin--Yay! It's boy city around here these days (ahem...raining men?)!

CaNanny--I'm sorry you are still sick, that sounds awful. But more fun with kicking!

Max--we pretty much just outlawed any names that either of us hates, even if they're family names. It evens up the playing field a bit (though DP still pushes for Ephraim from time to time)

Esenbee--like others are saying, we wouldn't have gotten much use out of one since Edie hates purees. But on the other hand, my mom loves her bullet mixer, so maybe just buy a regular one and use it for yourselves if the baby doesn't use it much?

Planet--Edie was iffy on bottles until I went back to work--once she got hungry she got over it. I think it was a little rough the first couple days, but since then she's had no problem switching between them.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#314 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Max, we needed to honor a relative with Soren's name/middle name, too. Doris. We couldn't do it. We looked up every name that has a related meaning (sea?) but ultimately we just used the D to honor Sara's grandma. His middle name is Dare. We really even had a hard time coming up with a D name but we feel good with his name now. Lol, now that I'm thinking about it, there are plenty of D names, they just didn't work for us.

CaNanny, I hope you feel better soon.

Speaking of low tech baby food making, if you don't like mashing with a fork, you can also use a garlic press. There is even a funny baby specific food masher that is like an inverted garlic press and leaves you mush in the bowl of it.

#315 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 PM

Max--Sounds like compromise will have to happen regardless.  We are struggling with coming up with a boy's name we like.  Our DS is named after his grandfather's (it's a classic name and we discovered after his birth and naming that it was becoming quite popular in our demographic--and, we actually used both grandfather's middle names b/c their first names DID NOT work) and we want our next DS to have a name that's equally connected to our families.  BUT, the thing is, the only names we have on the male side of our families that we liked we used for DS.  That leaves us with using a male name w/o the familial significance (which I'd prefer not to do) or using a male name that we actually don't like or male names of family members we never really knew or felt connected to...or names that NO one else would like (eg Kermit)--I feel like a name I would have to explain every time I introduced my child would eventually make me want to pull out my hair...Oh, and I want the kids to have nickname options should they decide they hate their names.  So far, our list includes: Peter, James, Kermit, Bartholomew and Forrest (the latter 3 are family names, but James was used by my brother for his DS--leaving Kermit, Bartholomew and Forrest).  We thought about going with the names of favorite theologians--but my favorites are Reinhold and Martin (Buber), neither of which really work for us (oh, and Seraf, Soren is another favorite theologian, but the name doesn't go with our last name).  Oh, and if we did go with one of the odder choices I worry that DS2 would be resentful that his brother got a perfectly normal, mainstream name.  

Wayyyy to much to think about.  I'm going to go now and encourage DW to actually get in bed to sleep, she has the stomach flu (poor thing) and has fallen asleep on the couch.  

Cananny--I hope things clear up soon, would a neti pot help?

#316 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Wishin, lol, Soren was not named after a theologian. I'm trying to remember what your DS' name is. I couldn't give my kids common names. My name is Sara, for crying out loud! There were 3 of us in my class. I met Sara a dating website, she was the 3rd Sara to message me the first day she said hi, having a normal name is not all its cracked up to be. My brother came along and got a freakishly popular name, too. 3 of his name in his class, too (but not a single Sara). All our kids have at least one normalish name if they need it. Osha loves his weird name. Tee hee, I'll be done defending odd names now. Your 3 family name choices are kind of painfully pop culture. I'm sure by the time he's in school no one will remember Forrest Gump. But Bart and Kermit will probably live on for eternity. What about an anagram or partial? That way your family will know the significance and pass it on without having a name you don't like?

#317 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Seraf--DW and I both have relatively unusual names...I have a sister who shares your name (and the no "h" spelling).  DW has lobbied for "Dermot" instead of Kermit, but every time I say it I think "dermis" and "dermatology" (can you imagine, "hi, my name's Dermot, I'm a dermatologist.")

Oh, I've met three baby Sorens in the past year (but not in Ohio!  There weren't any Henry's in Ohio that we knew of, and then we moved and we're surrounded by them)...sorry!  

#318 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Well, Soren can go by Dare if he's surrounded by Sorens. Shay has a fairly popular name, I see it on the news all the time. And, well, Ari on NPR. It seems like a name will hit huge one year but no one knows until their kid is playground age. I am with you on Dermot. Do you have any great female family names that have a male version? Michelle/Michael, Gabrella/Gabriel, Shawna/Sean, Erin/Arron, Christine/Christopher, Etc.

#319 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM

We are mommies! Harrison Gallifrey was born a little after 9 pm on 12/19. He's 8 lbs 8 oz, 21.9", and 100% perfect. Right now he is asleep on my chest. We're starting to get the hang of breast feeding, and he was great at snuggling from the get-go.

Delivery was not perfect. I had planned/hoped for a natural unmedicated water birth, and instead had 64 hours of every intervention possible up to and including a C section. I feel very lucky to have a healthy baby at the end of it all, and I'll be ok too. I'll mourn for the birth experience I didn't have, write a strongly worded letter to the midwifery practice that failed us on a very fundamental level, and move on. I don't really have any regrets, though. Now I know just how strong DW and I are. We're goddamn amazing.
#320 of 912 Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Does anyone have opinions/facts/warnings/etc for dying your hair while pregnant? A temporary, at home, wash out in 28 washes type of thing...not natural.

Btw, did I mention I'm 7w1d pregnant and saw a perfect little bean with a lovely heartbeat today?

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#321 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM

Carmen! You mentioned no such thing. Congratulations on your perfect bean. I died my hair third tri so I could find a job. I know that the scalp supposedly absorbs more chemicals than other body parts (less than generals, tho). It's probably not something I would do every 6 weeks, but I have done it.

Lillielil, congratulations! He's a tall guy! There's nothing like giving birth to show you how strong you are. I'm sorry your birth was imperfect but thrilled that your baby is. Feel free to post a picture.

#322 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM

Hope this works - sorry if I accidentally post something huge or if this goes weird otherwise. Here is Harrison!

#323 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Harrison is beautiful!!! Congratulations!!! I'm sorry your birth was not as hoped, your caregivers not on the ball - thinking of you all and wishing you a wonderful babymoon and healing.

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#324 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 AM

Harrison is adorable, congrats!

And congrats on your 2nd boy, wishin! Brothers will be fun :)

#325 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Carmen! I certainly hope that you find a dye solution that will last you through the next 8ish months! Huge *hugs* to you on having this dilemma!

Lillie--he's gorgeous! Congratulations! I'm sorry the birth didn't go as planned (it sounds like: at. all.) Enjoy your babymoon and heal up well! I hope you'll keep coming by and tell us all about him as he grows!

Wishin--yeah, those aren't names I could incorporate, either. I second Seraf's suggestion of female names that can be repurposed, if there are any good ones. How about a favorite character from scripture? Thaddeus got shot down about the same time as Ephraim, but I still love it. And, as an Emily, I always wished I had a more interesting name. Even Naomi or Fiona would have been nice--just not something in the top 10. We're hoping that Edith will remain a B-list option for people considering things like Lily, Grace, Olivia, and all of the other Edwardian names--not so rare that no one has ever met an Edie, but not super popular, either. Damn Downton Abbey for using it, though.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#326 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM

Also, Lillie--I just noticed that your avatar is a dahlek snowman, which has made my morning just that much better. joy.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#327 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM

carmen -CONGRATs! That is so wonderful to hear!  As for the hair dye, I have dyed my hair close to my natural color so I wouldn't have to do upkeep on color when I am pregnant, so that might be a consideration if you can't find a dye-ing solution that you can do a few times during pregnancy, just a one-time dye-ing wouldn't be as bad as say 5 times during the pregnancy.

lillie -I too am still mourning my ideal birth, 4 years later.  I was lucky enough to not have a c-section, but they were talking about it.  I can imagine how tough it must be to mourn having a c-section because it was pretty hard for me in my mourning.  The only thing that helps is resolving to learn from it and use the information of what happened to try to keep the same thing from happening with the next one.

Congrats on the BEAUTIFUL baby boy!  ENJOY!

As far as namesakes go -we chose for DD to have 2 middle names.  In the Philippines, children get their mother's maiden names as their middle name, so most of the cousins have the same middle name!  So DSp has that as his middle name.  (And for a first name, it is his parents' first names blended together to create a quite unique, ONE-of-a-kind name and was made into a nickname from day 1 of kindergarten!)  We did an alternative to the maiden name turned middle name (because I absolutely HATE my maiden name! and we wanted to pass down a name from DSp's side for them to feel more connected since they came into the pregnancy a little late in the game).  So DD's 2nd middle name is DSp's middle name, which is my MIL's maiden name and Gran-ma's (who lives in the country with my in-laws) last name....  DD's 1st middle name is just a regular ol' name.  DD's first name is one that we like and a namesake of DSp's great-grandmother on his dad's side.  So, lots of tributes!

#328 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM

WAIT! CARMEN!!! I totally missed your post! Smiling ear to ear for you :) hello lovely little perfect bean. we are so happy to hear about you :)

#329 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Thread crashing....

Carmen- OMG!! CONGRATS!!!! Re the coloring of your hair, I used to do hair back in the day and honestly its totally fine to color your hair while pregnant! I was pregnant with my eldest when I was in beauty school. I did some of the craziest thing to my hair and Matthew is perfect and super smart!

Finally after 26 cycles we got our pos.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***2ndtri.gif***36***40

Mom to Matthew(11), Brett(9), and soon Emmitt Parker! Now playing mom to nephew David (7)!

#330 of 912 Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the input on hair dye. I always just randomly do a temp colour when I get sick of looking at my grey! I hate the maintenance of permanent dye and roots growing in - even though I do always just go as close as possible to my natural colour. My last hair cut revealed WAY more grey than I remember so I feel weird about it. I'll wait a couple months until I decide :)

And thanks for the congrats! After deciding we were absolutely done after the last m/c I realized a few weeks later that I truly didn't feel done. So we decided to take 3 months off and focus on some self care. I started some new supplements (royal jelly and new tea), stopped some others (chinese herbs and progesterone suppositories) and started seeing a new acupuncturist every week. We did a first try in November and voila, it worked. As my KD said, we've definitely got that part perfected ;) I didn't feel up to sharing the process because of how hard it is for me emotionally and then the timing on here didn't feel right to me. But anyway, here I am. I'm full of anxiety and doubt but after seeing the heartbeat (152) and seeing that the bean was measuring right on I at least feel like I can be excited....for now. RE wants to see me again on Jan. 3 to check on growth. I'm thankful for the holidays to distract me and will go for more acupuncture to help keep me relaxed. DP is a wreck and as usual doesn't really want to talk about it. She burst into tears when I called to tell her the results. Bless. She told me last night that she wants to wait until 6 months to tell anyone. I told her I'm likely to be slightly showing before then LOL For those of you on FB - please don't spill the beans!

Oh, and my EDD is August 7, 2013 :) A summer baby!

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Lesbian And Gay Foster And Adoptive Parents Recruiting Assessing And Supporting An Untapped Resource , After Miscarriage Medical Facts And Emotional Support For Pregnancy Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page