Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting! November, December, and January 2013!!! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seraf, if you and Sara feel comfortable sharing more details about becoming a bone marrow donor, I for one would be very interested! 

My spouse is a much better cook than I am; and while neither of us are exactly "handy", I do many of the tasks with electric screwdrivers and such.  (I was *so* grateful to the person who gave A a push walker which required a master's in engineering to assemble...) 

#542 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Cross posting all over the place, GGNJ, I don't ever buy new clothes to know! Our boys are both comfortable in the full color spectrum (Soren is wearing a brown shirt covered in hearts today, someone said something and I said "boys and girls both have hearts").

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#543 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 AM

GGNJ, she signed up when she was in Israel, I guess it's really hard for Jews to get matches or something. Gift of life foundation is the name of the group. I see signs up on campus all the time that ask "Got swabbed?" Sara said she thinks you can even contact them for a kit through the mail.

#544 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

glassesgirl--I think those issues matter with any family configuration.  We are happy because we are a mix of complementary traits.  I'm carrying the baby and I kill the spiders.  My wife does all the cooking and looks forward to playing catch with our child.  We are who we are.  There was a study a couple years ago that looked at lesbian parents.  The kids turned out just fine and one of the only differences they could find from kids raised by male/female couples was that the kids were more likely to go into careers that were not stereotypical for their sex. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#545 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM

I hope Sara's surgery goes well! What a great gift for someone smile.gif

Cananny, I also have terrible anxiety around surgery and specifically c-sections. We did birthing from within prenatal classes with DD and there was actually a whole part focused on c-section births...perhaps you could read the book? I know it put my mind more at ease when imagining that I could end up with one...which I didn't but it was nice to have addressed that possibility.

Afm: 10 weeks tomorrow! Double digits! The nausea is mostly in the evenings now or if I eat too much. My anxiety level goes from almost zero to full on fast beating heart, etc. but mostly I'm so busy that I don't have time to think too much! It's 10 weeks has actually flown by and I'm grateful for that. I didn't feel movement until about 16 weeks with DD - is it true you feel movement earlier with subsequent babes? The RE said it looks like my placenta is anterior though which I've heard can make movement harder to feel too? It was posterior with DD.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#546 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Seraf, I don't buy many new clothes for A either!  Most of her day-to-day stuff comes in big lots from Craigslist, Ebay, Goodwill or the local consignment shops.  (I admit to a weakness for special holiday outfits, but even there I will try to use Zuliliy, or find an Etsy seller who's having a sale, or something.)

Thanks for the bone marrow donating information.  I don't suppose there's a special need for "Catholic American Mutt" donors...

Pokey, I think you're right that all family configurations have to think about gender stuff.  In this case, I was seeing quotes like (I had to check the UA to make sure we can quote from one thread to another orngbiggrin.gif ):

"The feeding bond is the strongest care-giving bond. That's why fathers, grandparents, and other people envy it. And Nature *means* for it to be the strongest care-giving bond. And Nature means for it to the the bond that the MOTHER shares with the child."

"Dads have their own unique bond, being generally stronger. They are the defenders and the roughhousers and usually the one to encourage a timid child to take a risk with his supervision."

"The father-child bond doesn't even come close to being as strong as the mother-child bond. And Nature designed it that way."

...all of which feels pretty goofy, and even hurtful, to genderqueer families like mine (where the primary caregiver might identify as "mother" one day and "father" the next).  Does that make any sense?

#547 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Oh, and Carmen, congrats on 10 weeks and I will keep sending positive thoughts toward you!!

#548 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Seraf, we are in Seattle. our neighborhood is called Capitol hill. I wish we could do a visit! What fun that would be. Give my love to Sara! What an important thing she is doing. Brave!

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#549 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Hi All,

I'm jumping back in after a long time of not posting. Our little guy is 14 months old now, hilarious and wonderful (although not much of a sleeper).

First: Congratulations to Carmen and Max on your expected babies! I am so, so happy for both of you. I know what a challenge it was to get to this point. Hooray!!!!!

Cananny: I agree with the other folks who said that that wonderful thing about c-sections being so common is that doctors have lots and lots of practice with them and are very good at doing them. I had a different experience than you'll have (emergency cesarean after long labor), but I found the surgery itself to be totally painless and much less scary than I would have imagined. The first few days of recovery were harder for me, but it seems like most people feel better very quickly. I did notice on amazon that there are a number of books about planning for a c-section. I don't know if they would be interesting to you. Good luck!

Isa: At 14 months our little guy can now play independently for long periods of time. Maybe your little one will be able to soon too!

Hi to everyone else!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#550 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Carmen. Woo hoo!

GGNJ, lol, I think capitalizing nature was enough for me. I don't get into religious arguments and that person is making one. I'm sure if there's a person out there who needs Catholic American Mutt, they'd be really happy if you signed up. If you ever feel like talking about something that's none of my business, did the police come to give you a ride? Or did they expect non-compliance?

#551 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Planet, drat!

Escher, welcome back!

#552 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Seraf, I don't mind talking about it... The police came by to do a "welfare check". 

My phone was on the charger when my ped called with the test results - she tried twice in 20 minutes and then immediately sent the cops to our house.  Seriously!  (Needless to say, I've since changed pediatricians, and I've made sure that our new ped has my cell number, my spouse's cell, my mom's landline as a backup, etc etc.)

When the cops found out I hadn't been cleared for driving yet (four days postpartum), they called the volunteer first aid squad to give us a ride to the hospital.

#553 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my old ped's phone comes up as "Private Number", and she didn't leave a callback number either of the times she called me...

Edited to clarify: this was the original pediatrician I'm talking about, not our new one (who rocks the house).

#554 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM

That's cool that Sara is donating marrow.  They actually do need mutts to register because it's harder to find marrow for mixed-race folks, although Catholic mutt may not be the kind they are looking for.

ggng--That does sound aggravating.  I'm sure there are plenty of "mothers" out there who aren't very bonded with their children and plenty of children who have stronger bonds with their "fathers."  As queer folks where there is often a gestational parent and a non-gestational parent, we have to deal with these things all the time.  No one wants to be judged as a parent who is less than.  I think that anyone who feeds a child can develop a strong bond.  A parent can give a baby a bottle of breastmilk and that bond is cemented when that babe stares up into your eyes.  If I were a man reading that conversation, I might be offended as well.  There used to be a McDonald's commercial where it was Dad's night with the kids and he took them out for Happy Meals, so I must assume that he is too stupid to fix dinner for his own children.  That always bugged me.  Anyway, I think I am rambling now.

#555 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM

GGNJ, that sounds pretty freaky.

Pokey, I think I said it up thread, I've bonded with plenty of people I've never fed. I do nurse Soren, but I'm a very rough and tumble parent and the potty parent. Soren occasionally asks to nurse with me instead of Sara but I get a lot of the smiles and adoration related to other areas of his life.

#556 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Hi Escher!

Birthmother just texted me to say her water broke then 15 minutes later she said she doesn't know if it did or not. She's going to the hospital to have it checked out. We are on pins and needles here packing just in case we have to take off tonight. Can pregnant women just pee on themselves and think it's the water?

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#557 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM

We just had our ultrasound. Twins!! I want to do some crazy emoticons but I'm on my cell phone. Holy mackerel. I'm glad to have so much company of queer multiples mamas.

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#558 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Mrs... Omg ong what is in the water on mdc? Two sets of triplets and two sets if twins in the last 7 months!!!!!!!!!

I know that you guys must be over the moon!!!!!! Congrats you worked so joy.gif hard for this:) joy.gif:joy:joy

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#559 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Max!!!!! The pressure of the baby moving down can increase cervical secretions and quite a bit of liquid will come out that's not amniotic. My first was born within 24 hours of this.

Mrsandmrs and Bigfoot, yay!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

#560 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM

cananny - i know, right?? we are cumulatively going to take over the world pretty soon. 

seraf - thanks. we are pretty stoked. 

max -- i just saw your post! what an exciting time for you! good luck with the birth! 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#561 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandmrs View Post

We just had our ultrasound. Twins!! I want to do some crazy emoticons but I'm on my cell phone. Holy mackerel. I'm glad to have so much company of queer multiples mamas.

Threadcrashing from QC... ZOMG, MRSANDMRS AND BIGFOOT! TWINS!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO!

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

(And now I'm really dying to hear how teenage DS with react to this new facet of the TTC train... lurk.gif)

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#562 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM

YAY mrs2 -that must be so exciting!!!!!  so crazy!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#563 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

mrsandmrs- Twins is so exciting and lucky!love.gif:love stork-boy.gif:storkgirl

It was a false labor but if what Seraf said is similar we might be looking at labor really soon. We are staying put for now. It may have just been pee, who knows??

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#564 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Woohoo! I know a singleton would be so much easier, but I am elated to get a two-fer deal. It is still so early. There was just a hint of yolk and it was too soon to see heartbeats, so we go back in a week. They measured 5w4d and 5w6d. We are according to LMP exactly 5w4d today. So far so good.

We are still feeling out when we want to tell the teenager. We are thinking once we see heartbeats it will be time. Mrs came up with a great plan of ordering a cake that tells him. I decided it should say, "Sorry, buddy. You're going to be a big brother." But then do we tell him the full story (twins) or hold off on that info until he has time to get used to the idea??

Also complicated: we have a consultation with a midwife tomorrow. Mrs. thought we should cancel, but I think we should just have our consultation and schedule our first appointment and cancel closer to that date if we still are sure there are two. It will be impossible to get back on their schedule and we don't want an OB unless it is twins.

Max - I am so excited for you! I did start to leak pee and thought my water broke towards the end of my pregnancy. Oh, the things we go through.

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
#565 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Max! I'm so excited for you guys--real labor must be coming soon!

Bigfoot and MrsMrs--congrats on twins! That's so awesome! I would say to meet the midwife and get started--is it possible that the midwife could still be involved in a twin birth? In any case, I'd meet and see if you like her, and then if you need to cancel later maybe she can give you a good referral. I think that cake would be hilarious.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#566 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhh! Mrs and Bigfoot!!! Twins!!!!

On my phone at my inlaws. I owe the thread much updating, but just needed to say yay for more multiples. Also, a midwife is delivering my twins, so I'd still at least meet with her.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#567 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandmrs View Post

WOW! I kinda had a feeling with that beta jump. Congrats! joy.gif

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#568 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Super big congrats to mrs and bigfoot!

And excited news for Max!

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

#569 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Ahhh! Mrs and Bigfoot!!! Twins!!!!

On my phone at my inlaws. I owe the thread much updating, but just needed to say yay for more multiples. Also, a midwife is delivering my twins, so I'd still at least meet with her.

The practice we were looking at we believe doesn't do hospital births. We were hoping to use their birth house that is walking distance from our house. Apparently it is illegal in our state to have a twin birth at a birth house. I guess we do have a lot more research to do now that we actually have two embryos! But that is encouraging to know you have a midwife. I don't even know how to pick a provider. Last time I was pregnant I was a teenager and didn't pick my own, but somehow magically ended up with an awesome OB.

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
#570 of 912 Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM

bigfoot and mrsx2- Congratulations!  That is wonderful news!  I hope you have 2 sticky beans in there.goodvibes.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

max--Very exciting!  Could be any day now.  I hope everything goes smoothly and you get to meet your baby soon!

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Lesbian And Gay Foster And Adoptive Parents Recruiting Assessing And Supporting An Untapped Resource , After Miscarriage Medical Facts And Emotional Support For Pregnancy Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page