Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting! November, December, and January 2013!!! - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 912 Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
escher, we won't tell the wider world until about 13 weeks. Neither of us is a "we have a big announcement" type of person so we'll tell our close friends and family individually and let it spread organically. And of course FB is good for spreading news wink1.gif

The doulas around here do 2 home visits prior to labour.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#602 of 912 Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Pokey -that's a good thought!

Through everyone's weigh in, along with a google search that came to the same consensus, I think I have decided to not do the whole Bradley thing again.  DSp will be SO relieved!  He did NOT want to sit through 12 weeks of classes again!.  It is a common joke in our house about our "10 Mondays"...  (We missed the first 2 weeks.)  I really liked Pokey's idea of a doula that does refresher courses too.  The search is on!  I feel like I have done nothing but search!  Yesterday was all about finding a new OB!  I had picked one out last year, but the only OB that I could find that had relatively the same ideas was one of the only practices in the area that did VBACs.  I didn't have a cesarean, but it was the most friendly toward the natural side of labor that I had found.  I have had two annuals with one of the OB's and she was nice enough but not terribly warm and friendly and I got to thinking that I just didn't think we could develop a good enough respect for the birth to go how I envision it.  SO I finally found a new-to-the-area midwife (CNW, the only kind that I can have attend my birth legally in Kentucky).  She just started accepting patients December 3rd!  I am so excited to have found her!  In Louisville, my only options are a home birth or a hospital birth.  Home birth makes DSp nervous and our home is not really an ideal place to deliver, so hospital it is.  With the new midwife, delivery will be at a different hospital too, so that's a plus!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#603 of 912 Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Hi - glad to hear folks are doing well. Someone asked about the DNA test I'm getting, and I forgot to answer.... it's the Harmony test, which picks up fetal DNA in the mom's blood. It tests for Down's and two other things.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#604 of 912 Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cananny View Post

Was the 3rd trimester hard for everyone? Ive read it can be the most emotional time.. I go from being seething mad at DP for saying something I didnt like.. to very chill and relaxed..The last 2 days were awful....and today I am feeling a bit like myself.. These up and down hormones are crazy...I am happy i only have 7 weeks of the 3rd trimester.. 

I think I mentioned our new friends who just had triplets ( GGB) a week ago.. they carried to 33 weeks and the 2 girls are already in an open air crib.. it makes us so hopeful our boys will do that well! 

I think your third trimester would be three times harder than mine was! You are already grown past the size of a singleton pregnancy, right? The emotions are the pits.

I'm glad your baby friends are doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escher View Post

Seraf: With two babies (or is it one baby and one toddler?), I'm impressed that you're still a foodie even in your head! I LOVE Ethiopian food, but the few times I have made it I found it to be quite time consuming. Do you have easy recipes or do you just accept that it takes a while? Can you buy injera around there?

I just posted over in QC that we're now waiting to O. I kind of can't believe that we're back in this process. We definitely want another child, but having to deal with TTC again seems like a nightmare. Hopefully it won't be too bad this time. We're switching uteri (from me to my wife). Any tips from other people who have done the uterus switch?

I'm faking the injera, I just looked on you tube and the longest video was about 8 minutes, so it must be pretty quick! ;-) I think making several dishes takes time but the fake injera is about as fast as pancakes. The cabbage dish is just a bunch of chopping, spicing, sautéing and then simmering. That's kind of like a lot of the meals I make, so I might have low expectations.

I read your post in the gee golly thread and all the preventative stuff made me go, man, she had a hard pregnancy. Sara's and my pregnancies were worlds apart. I'm very hopeful that your DW has an easier time than you (or Sara). In our family, the first trimester prego couldn't cook and exhaustion on the prego's part led to a lot more housekeeping and childcare duties for the other and some of our normal chores were mixed up for a long time. Also, living with an unpredictably emotional person was a challenge for both of us. In some ways it was easier for me to give birth than watch Sara labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post

Thank you for asking how it went with my mom!  My DP is amazingly patient and ended up having a pretty decent day with my mom! 

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post

escher, we won't tell the wider world until about 13 weeks. Neither of us is a "we have a big announcement" type of person so we'll tell our close friends and family individually and let it spread organically. And of course FB is good for spreading news wink1.gif

The doulas around here do 2 home visits prior to labour.

We only told our parents and word spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esenbee2 View Post

In Louisville, my only options are a home birth or a hospital birth.  Home birth makes DSp nervous and our home is not really an ideal place to deliver, so hospital it is.  With the new midwife, delivery will be at a different hospital too, so that's a plus!

What makes your home less ideal? Yay for a good midwife.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#605 of 912 Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Seraf -well, I'm sure if I put some cleaning power into it, I could get it ready for a home birth, but I just despise the house. We have seriously outgrown it and it gets so cluttered, so quickly, that I feel yucky almost every day coming home :/ We seriously need a new place. So not that it wouldn't work, I just do not have an attachment to the place. And put that with DSp feeling uneasy about it not being a hospital, I would just rather prepare the best I can for a hospital. I am crossing the river and getting away from the highest C-Section rate in the country, into Indiana, where they have a really natural friendly hospital and another hospital where they have invested a lot into natural friendly accommodations in order to compete with the other hospital. I am not happy about an Indiana birth, just cause I'm not from there, but it will be best for baby!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#606 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 AM

Esenbee, I get you. I'm not going to claim my house was sparkling clean for any of my births, but nesting in the end helps a little. Clutter is a beast. Our house seems big but we still fight clutter. How far are you from the Indiana hospital?

#607 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 AM

All the area labor & delivery hospitals are 20 - 25 minutes from our house.  So, no biggie.

#608 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Our doula was moving furniture and putting away groceries at our home birth lol My water broke with no warning 4 days before my EDD and I went into labour later that day. We assumed I would be overdue even though my doula guessed I'd go early....she was right.

We have a very cluttered place - quite different from when I lived alone. But we all love our home so it's easier to overlook it ;) 

#609 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM

carmen -have you told DD about her being a big sis?  Been preparing her for the possibility?  We started last year when we were trying.  She was cool with it.  But now, she HATES the idea.  We visited with an out of town friend who came home for a visit.  She has an almost 2 year old and Lillie was trying to talk to her and play with her at dinner.  She got so mad when the little girl didn't talk to her and when she was messy with eating her food.  She said some AWFULLY mean things.  I was mortified! So now, she is protesting having a baby sleep in her room and absolutely "does NOT want a baby slobbering on her toys!"  How is your DD taking it?

#610 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esenbee2 View Post

carmen -have you told DD about her being a big sis?  Been preparing her for the possibility?  We started last year when we were trying.  She was cool with it.  But now, she HATES the idea.  We visited with an out of town friend who came home for a visit.  She has an almost 2 year old and Lillie was trying to talk to her and play with her at dinner.  She got so mad when the little girl didn't talk to her and when she was messy with eating her food.  She said some AWFULLY mean things.  I was mortified! So now, she is protesting having a baby sleep in her room and absolutely "does NOT want a baby slobbering on her toys!"  How is your DD taking it?

We haven't told her. She really takes on others' emotions and if we have another loss I don't want her to have to worry about anything. We were hoping to wait until after the first trimester screening just before 13 weeks but we may have to bring her to the scan now so I feel like we'll have to explain what's going on. We decided to mention the idea and see what she thought.....in the context of another conversation I asked what she would think of having a baby brother or sister. She literally cheered lol I said that maybe one day that could happen. This morning she told me she'd like a baby brother and a baby sister or a big brother and a baby sister. Of course, I would imagine if baby actually comes it won't be all love and rainbows wink1.gif

#611 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Esenbee, that's not a bad drive. How old is your DD? My older kids expected Shay to be born a toddler. They were quite disappointed when I was hugely pregnant and pointing out babies under 3 months. They wanted an instant playmate (and just a couple of months ago it was all, "Soren is boring, he doesn't Do anything"). They adore the babies now, but they kind of had a 2 minute attention span for them in the beginning. O barely noticed A when she was little 2.5 years apart). He noticed her around the time she started tacking him (6 months?). I remember being very grateful that she slept so much because she blended into our life quite seamlessly except in the evening.

Carmen, love and rainbows. Lol. It's been more love and rainbows than storm clouds. I hope it is for you, too.

#612 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM

DD is 4 yrs. 4 months.

#613 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Still no word of labor. eyesroll.gif Pumping more and I increased my medicine just a little bit and I've been getting larger drops now so that's exciting.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#614 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

cananny. . . sending good energy around the c-section, it's always a little nerve wracking but hope it goes smoothly.  And I def had 3rd trimester anxiety, and mood swings too.  I almost punched a man on the street once who said something rude to me.  (I still maintain he deserved it though :) )   Just personally the worst part of the c-section for me was having no idea it was coming, I think in some ways knowing ahead of time makes it so much easier.  

seraf. . I agree, that is amazing about the bone marrow, good luck to sara on that one! 

glassesgirl, yup, I know what you mean about the annoying expectations.  My DH (is trans) and is not out at work and he had said how he doesn't like to stay late bc he wants to be home for his son and to give me a break and someone said, "she really has you whipped, huh?" which made us so insanely mad.  First, the expectation that dads don't "do" child care in the same way or even possible WANT to see their kids before bedtime.  Some of our household chores do end up getting oddly "gender-typed" but often bc of interest and when we have free time than anything else.  But any type of EXPECTATIOn that people clean the house or do the dishes bc they are the M/F is insane to me at this stage of the game!  (as a side not, I was also part of Free To Be gen but we laugh/change the words when we hear the part about "every boy in this land grows to be his own man, every girl . . to be her own woman "  

carmen. . CONGRATS on the 10 weeks!  

mrsandmrs.. congrats on the twins!  

max. .  I do think other stuff can come out, for me when my water broke is was DEF unmistakable but I had really high fluid levels.. hope it comes SOON! 

bigfoot. . congrats on the twins too! 

essenbee!  YAY so happy for you and welcome to this side!  

planet.. glad things went well with your mom, it sound promising for sure! 

outdoorsy .  .good luck with the Harmony, I did the other version of that, the materniT21. . 

Okay. . sorry if I missed anyone else, I keep reading and wanting to comment and connect and am just so overwhelmed in general. . at 18 weeks tomorrow, still feeling tired and mildly sick though I did finally make it back to the gym so I am hoping that has a positive effect on me and life in general. . I miss being active though I guess I walk at least an hour a day since I am in the city and it's the only way to get around (well that makes sense for me)  Excited to hit the 1/2 mark and for my anatomy scan at the end of the month to see our little girl again.  Oh and anyone have a prenatal they love?  I just switched to this one that I think is healthier but I'm not convinced it's not making me more nauseous.  Preferably something on the milder side? 

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#615 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM

cordelia -I had an amazing prenatal vit that didn't make me sick at all when I was pregnant with DD. It tasted like chocolate before you swallowed it!. I can't remember the name, but I am going to call my old OB and ask them because they are the ones who prescribesd it to me. When starting TTC, I went with Centrum prenatal with DHA supplement. That gave me EXTREME nausea. Right now I'm taking Nature Made's prenatal until I can find out that tastey one I had with DD!

#616 of 912 Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM

I've always taken sisu multi expecting. I take one twice a day, with food. It's never made me sick (other than the nausea that comes with early pregnancy anyway). I also take nordic naturals prenatal DHA - twice a day as well.

#617 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM

I took gummy prenatals. I'm just cool like that. I had a hard time swallowing pills for years after my first pregnancy when I started on some 6 a day, whole food, horse pills.

Last night as I got the boys out of the car, I was thinking "we have a 2 door car, the buckets would be awful to get in and out." And I FELL out the door with both boys. Fortunately Soren was in the sling and Shay was laying across both arms. I lost a layer of skin on both knees and the wrist holding Shay's knees. Shay's diaper contacted the ground but they were both ok.

To make the night even worse, Soren had a fever and cloudy urine. I'm trying to get a clean catch while I wait for the doctor's office to open.

#618 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 AM

cordelia -I did some internet research and found the name of the prenatal vits I used. They are called Prenate. They have a cartoony picture of a pregnant woman on the box.

#619 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Seraf! I hope he's ok--and that you are! I fell down the last step onto our concrete basement last weekend while dragging a bunch of junk to the basement and was amazed by how much it hurt! fwiw, bucket seats are great in some ways, but hard in others--DP has to climb halfway into the van to put EJ in her seat because she can't reach from the ground, so she's always in danger of falling out that way, too.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#620 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 AM

Ida, ouch to you too. I feel so whiny because I always had scratches on my knees as a kid and now I'm all, "Ooo, it's pinchy when I sit/stand/walk." About the seats, I was thinking, of course it wouldn't make sense to take a baby in and out of the car strapped into a seat that has to be turned sideways and passed long ways in front of my body. Lol.

Sara is taking him to urgent care. His fever is down but he didn't pee for at least 2 hours after he got up so I didn't get a sample. Sara's worried they will want to cath or circ him so she's a little anxious.

#621 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Eep, seraf. Glad to hear the worst of it was scraped skin! And I hope little Soren is ok. Keep us updated.

#622 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM

The update is, only the ER will see babies under 1.

#623 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM

They want to cath him and test his blood. Sara said they said, "Sometimes uncircumcised boys get UTIs." And tried to retract him. She stopped the doc.

They're going to draw blood, not cath (why put him through that of we know he has a UTI? The culture and sensitivity would take days to come back, so they can wait on a clean catch) and she's going too call me back next time the doctor comes in.

#624 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Seraf--one of the "risk" factors for UTI in male babies is being uncirced (which is why they want to cath him to check--it's "medically indicated".  However, they do NOT need to retract him to cath him...and there are alternatives for clean catch).  Keep in mind too, for those considering circumcision, UTIs, even in uncirced male babies are really rare--SO rare that DW has never seen an uncircumcised baby w/ a UTI (she's a family practice doc) but HAS seen babies w/ circumcision complications.  I hope Soren feels better soon...(another alternative to cathing can be wiping his boy bits down w/ alcohol and taping a baggie to him and having him pee in that (the NICU I worked in did that preferentially to cath).  Fingers crossed it clears up soon!  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#625 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Wishin, we practice EC, he will pee in a cup. I agree that it's rare. Like 1% of intact baby boys. They didn't want to use a bag because they said it has a high rate of false positive. Then they didn't really want to cath because his foreskin is so tight. They are upset that we don't gently retract to loosen it up. Then they said a clean catch wouldn't be good enough because of all the bacteria under his foreskin. I said, you saw how tight his foreskin is, it's almost like an extension of his urethra, I'm not concerned about those bacteria.

He was generally, "sure, we'll do it however you want." But he wants us to talk to the doctor about how much retraction is appropriate. They gave Sara and chux pad and a sterile cup per my request. He is napping without a diaper and people keep offering Sara a bag.

#626 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Seraf: I'm thinking about you all! What a scary fall, but I'm glad that everyone was ok from that. I hope that Soren can quickly get the treatment he needs!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#627 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Seraf- I am very sorry to hear about Soren's accident. It sounds really scary and hospitals make me nervous too. I always think they are going to do something unauthorized. Good luck to the little boy.

Pokey- I sent you a PM about borrowing your breast feeding book.

AFM- Pumping is working! I am getting more drops now than ever before. I am very encouraged that I will be able to produce some milk on my own. I'm two weeks into my medication at this point. I also started taking my progesterone again and that may have helped kick start it a little more. Started using Lanolin on my nipples because they are SORE. We are one week away from the official due date. I texted with the birth mom today and she is really uncomfortable. Hopefully it will come very soon.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#628 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM

Max, yay on the pumping. This is your last TWW for a long time!

Escher, thanks, me too.

After waiting for 4 hours, he pees several times not in a cup (while they drew blood :-( ) and put a tiny bit into the cup after a nap. His pee is fine but he's anemic, they say. Sara said it was cloudy still and dark yellow.

#629 of 912 Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM

seraf.  .hope that soren is okay!  glad his pee is fine and hope it's just the anemia. . glad they didn't retract him (insert head banging icon here) 

thanks for the prenatal advice!  I will look at few

max.  .congrats on the pumping progress. . and some unsolicited advice, you may already know this but . . have you looked into different size flanges for the pump?  Mine hurt so much before I realized I could buy a bigger size! 

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#630 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seraf: Poor babe, it makes me so sad when babes have to get blood drawn. I hope he starts to feel better soon. So he doesn't have a UTI but is anemic? What are they going to do for that? Make him take those sludge iron drops?

Max: Yay! Milk! I think it is so cool that you are getting drops. I bet every drop you see is better than gold!

hippie.gifborn in the wrong era. Madly in love with my DH. Mama to my Beatles boys; L (6) and H (2). 

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Lesbian And Gay Foster And Adoptive Parents Recruiting Assessing And Supporting An Untapped Resource , After Miscarriage Medical Facts And Emotional Support For Pregnancy Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page