Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting! November, December, and January 2013!!! - Page 22 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#631 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Max - what are y'all doing to kill the time while you wait? Nesting like crazy?

Seraf - Hope Soren is feeling better today! It is so hard when our kids our sick.

I caught some sort of terrible cold with a fever. I have never been so scared about getting the wife sick! I am finding that having a pregnant partner comes with a lot more paranoia than being pregnant myself, and am trying not to be a stress case. She spent a couple days on the sofa since I had already filled the bedroom with germs, and then went out of town. I should no longer be contagious, so I am now with her in PDX at the hospital as our friends had a gorgeous baby boy today. He is in the NICU due to breathing issues and I am staying far away from him!

The Mrs. is a little pukier each week, which is a good sign but also a struggle. I have purchased every morning sickness aid I can think of: hard candies, ginger chews, crystallized ginger, crackers, sea bands, and bottles of lemon and peppermint essential oils for her to sniff on. They help a little. Luckily eating small amounts frequently seems to help and she is keeping it down. Also protein seems to be the easiest to tolerate, which seems lucky!

I am the only one in our house who has had a flu shot, and the pressure is on for Mrs. to get one. Everything seems to say it is the thing to do even in the first trimester, but it makes me nervous.

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
#632 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#633 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Bigfoot, sour patch kids might help the queasies. I'm glad you're feeling better.

The injera was sub par but everything else was great. Shay was obsessed with the baby company when I held him and he kept trying to feed him orange slices. Soren has been in pretty good spirits. He still doesn't seem to be peeing as much as usual, but it's clear now.

#634 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Sara/Seraf, what a load of crap they fed you. You absolutely do not retract to get a catheter in. And a bag is perfectly fine, we use them all the time in NICU. If we're really concerned we do an in and out catheter (ie if the dipstick is positive for red blood cells, white blood cells and/or nitrites). I hope they got his blood quickly and it didn't take too many pokes. greensad.gif poor little guy.

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#635 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Bigfoot- to pass the time I am reading this forum every time I pump. I'm pumping about four times a day now and producing about a ml. DP and I are nesting like crazy. He is having all the air ducts cleaned professionally tomorrow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Our friends lent us an infant car seat so we are going to bring that with us when we get the call. We have registered at two places. I have the baby announcements ready for final entries. Reading baby's first year. And this weekend we watched Survivor China.

For nausea try a fresh lemon. The smell always helped me. I also love ginger ale when I'm sick.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#636 of 912 Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

28 weeks today.. a big milestone for triplets. out next is 30 weeks.. im growing away!

Bigfoot.. sorry Mrs is having tough time with morning sickness.. I am sooo thankful I did not have to deal with it at all.. A few weeks ago  i was having some nausea after eating but that has subsided.. I hope she finds some relief

Seraf.. Glad Soren seems to be mending.. And glad Sarah advocated what was right for your guys son!

Max.. you must be going crazy with anticipation! Hoping the baby makes an entrance soon and congrats on getting milk! are you freezing any you get or just trying to get a supply at this point? My DP was told to pump every 3 hrs if she wanted to induce lactation..she decided that is not really workable with her work ect.. but something to think about... you do have to pump Alot to get a supply going..I am so hopeful you will get a good supply!!!!

AFM...tired .. very very tired.. harder and harder to do much things ! 

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#637 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 AM

Darth, they didn't want to retract to cath, I'm guessing they couldn't visualize his urethra with ease. He actually has the shortest foreskin of any of my boys, but it's still totally adhered.

Max, a ml is awesome. You will be nursing many times a day soon, so you'll get lots of stimulation soon. It's exciting that she could be here any time.

CaNanny, there are lots of babies in there!!! Awesome belly. Do you have to get prednisone shot or does the first one work until they come?

#638 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Cananny: Look at that beautiful belly! I can see why you would be tired. You are doing such an amazing job of growing those babies!

Max: I'm so impressed by the milk you're producing! How exciting. And nursing is SO much nicer than pumping. Soon! Are you planning to use a SNS or just do a mix of bottles and nursing?

Seraf: I'm glad that Shay enjoyed his baby company, and that Soren's pee is clear. I'm sorry the injera wasn't fantastic, but I'm still extremely impressed that you tried to make it!

Bigfoot: I know this doesn't work for everyone, but when I was pregnant the only thing that really helped with the nausea was eating a LOT of protein. I think Bradley recommends 100 grams a day, and when I ate that much I felt noticably better. It was hard for me to get that much (maybe because I'm vegetarian), but plain Nonfat Oikos Organic Yogurt has 23 grams of protein per cup, so I ate a lot of that. Good luck finding something that works!

Hi to everyone else!

Does anyone have a lovely gentle nightweaning story they would like to share? Advice is also welcome.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#639 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post

Max - what are y'all doing to kill the time while you wait? Nesting like crazy?

Seraf - Hope Soren is feeling better today! It is so hard when our kids our sick.

I caught some sort of terrible cold with a fever. I have never been so scared about getting the wife sick! I am finding that having a pregnant partner comes with a lot more paranoia than being pregnant myself, and am trying not to be a stress case. She spent a couple days on the sofa since I had already filled the bedroom with germs, and then went out of town. I should no longer be contagious, so I am now with her in PDX at the hospital as our friends had a gorgeous baby boy today. He is in the NICU due to breathing issues and I am staying far away from him!

The Mrs. is a little pukier each week, which is a good sign but also a struggle. I have purchased every morning sickness aid I can think of: hard candies, ginger chews, crystallized ginger, crackers, sea bands, and bottles of lemon and peppermint essential oils for her to sniff on. They help a little. Luckily eating small amounts frequently seems to help and she is keeping it down. Also protein seems to be the easiest to tolerate, which seems lucky!

I am the only one in our house who has had a flu shot, and the pressure is on for Mrs. to get one. Everything seems to say it is the thing to do even in the first trimester, but it makes me nervous.

Ugh on the nausea. Mine is only in the evenings now or if I eat too much. It started really early for me this time and when it hits it is very intense but unlike my pregnancy with DD it has not an all day affair. The eating small amounts all day is a great idea. I take Cocculine - if you are into homeopathics, ask about it at your local vitamin store. A pregnant homeopathic doctor recommended it to me with DD and it works really well most of the time!

Awesome belly, cananny!

Afm: I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow. I'm excited :) I'm not sure that she will try the doppler - I'll be a day shy of 11 weeks. I also go for blood work on Wednesday for the first part of first trimester screening. SO tired this morning, I was up way too late last night worrying about whether we should sell our place now or wait a couple of years....we're really not sure what to do. I'm actually struggling with not being able to nap during this pregnancy....when the heck do I find time to sleep?? I'm in bed most nights at 8:30 or 9 with DD (I get up at 5:30) and even that doesn't seem to be enough!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#640 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM

Escher, no advice but is your DW a great sleeper? Maybe there's hope for the next baby?

Carmen, naps are harder when you already have a kid. I don't think I managed 3 naps between my 3 pregnancies. Can you sneak in a power nap when your DP gets home from work or a long nap on weekends? Next year when you're off work, will your DD stay home or go to daycare?

#641 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks everyone .. Yes lots of babies in here!!!

Seraf... Well my 1 at doctor who I loved and was crushed when I had to change thanks to insurance bs gave me first one at. 24 w and said I should repeat at 30 w... Well new doctor who I really don't like but have no other choice said no to second shot that I don't need it that there's be time before delivery if we went before 32 weeks.. He said it can impact brain development ect.. So I guess I won't be getting it ... He said after 31/32 weeks their lungs will be developed enough...sigh

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#642 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Escher, no advice but is your DW a great sleeper? Maybe there's hope for the next baby?

Seraf: She is a good sleeper, but I am a GREAT sleeper, so I don't have much hope for her genes making the kid sleepier than my genes. orngtongue.gif

Carmen: Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#643 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Cananny- sorry you hate your new dr. That must suck. Good job to you for keeping those babies in there so long. They are going to be born in the year of the dragon and its super lucky.

Escher- yes we will try to use an SNS exclusively with breast feeding. I wrote to another woman on mothering who breastfed her adopted daughter and she had a lot of good advice.

Well birth mom is 4cm dilated but she is not in active labor yet. I can tell from her texts that she wants it to just happen already.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#644 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Carmen, naps are harder when you already have a kid. I don't think I managed 3 naps between my 3 pregnancies. Can you sneak in a power nap when your DP gets home from work or a long nap on weekends? Next year when you're off work, will your DD stay home or go to daycare?

My DP doesn't get home until 7:30 or 8....she works long hours. She is home Mon. and Tues. though....but DD is so excited when I get home I hate to nap. I guess I should try on those days though. DD only goes to daycare 2 days a week and yes, we'd like to keep her in if we can afford it - she started a year ago and the woman and other kids are just amazing. We want to save her spot and selfishly, it would give me a break. I hope to take 18 months off again this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxK View Post

Cananny- sorry you hate your new dr. That must suck. Good job to you for keeping those babies in there so long. They are going to be born in the year of the dragon and its super lucky.

Escher- yes we will try to use an SNS exclusively with breast feeding. I wrote to another woman on mothering who breastfed her adopted daughter and she had a lot of good advice.

Well birth mom is 4cm dilated but she is not in active labor yet. I can tell from her texts that she wants it to just happen already.

I can imagine she's getting impatient!!! C'mon baby!

#645 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM

carmen I also am experiencing nausea earlier than with DD's pregnancy.  I didn't even know I was pregnant with DD at the point that I am at right now, so maybe I didn't notice because I didn't know??  I also have EXTREME breast tenderness that I never had throughout my entire pregnancy with DD.  I definitely think I would have noticed it with DD, even though  I didn't know.  My nausea tends to happen when I am eating and getting too full (and also when I am getting too hungry).  I bought some Preggie Pop Drops and they seem to be helping.  Also, I never had any food aversions w/ DD, but so far I have had pasta w/ marinara aversions and grilled onion aversions, where I almost ended up needing to run to the bathroom to throw up.  NOT FUN, pasta is one of my favorite foods!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#646 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the nausea tips, everyone! 

Escher - we are vegetarian, too (ovo-lacto) and I think the protein is working best for her nausea. I can pretty easily get 80g a day but DW finds it a little tougher. I think with twins we are looking at aiming for 120+ a day? We are waiting for our library holds to come in (including the Barbara Luke book everyone loves). We already switched her to Greek yogurt, although I have to say it is hard to find organic Greek yogurt around here for some reason. I have had to get single servings from Trader Joe's. I've also packed a ton of 1/4 cup servings of nuts. I am ready to make hummus and baked tofu  as soon as her pregnancy induced food aversions allow it! Now if only I could convince her that cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs are delicious.

Max - whoa, 4cm sounds good!

Cananny - lookin' good! Wow, 28 weeks!

#647 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cananny View Post

Thanks everyone .. Yes lots of babies in here!!!

Seraf... Well my 1 at doctor who I loved and was crushed when I had to change thanks to insurance bs gave me first one at. 24 w and said I should repeat at 30 w... Well new doctor who I really don't like but have no other choice said no to second shot that I don't need it that there's be time before delivery if we went before 32 weeks.. He said it can impact brain development ect.. So I guess I won't be getting it ... He said after 31/32 weeks their lungs will be developed enough...sigh

Yes, my doctor told me that in a trial run in mice, some of the baby mice had slightly smaller brains. He said though "really, from my experience, the kids are only as dumb as their parents". He says what he thinks. smile.gif It was left up to us though to make the decision on whether or not to get the shot...

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#648 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Bigfoot- I am also vegetarian. Have you tried Tara's Whey? It's a goat whey protein and there is a pomegranate flavor that makes a delicious shake. I'm not a big fan of processed food but I love my soy chicken and black bean burgers.

Just found out its going to be a girl!!! Still no active labor yet.

#649 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM

MAX.. a girl.. wohoooo.. are you on your way to nevada yet? 

We really wanted a baby in the year of the dragon.. I am the year of the dragon.. and this year was extra special.. but the ONLY way these boys will be dragons is if they are born by Feb 8th or 9th.. I mean that could happen... but more than likely they will be snakes... 

I think the doctor would do another shot but it would be a fight.. and even though i really dont like him.. he is one of the best.. just crap bedside manner.... 

#650 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxK View Post

Bigfoot- I am also vegetarian. Have you tried Tara's Whey? It's a goat whey protein and there is a pomegranate flavor that makes a delicious shake. I'm not a big fan of processed food but I love my soy chicken and black bean burgers.

Just found out its going to be a girl!!! Still no active labor yet.

A GIRL!

We have hemp protein powder since we get a lot of dairy and soy in our diet. I will keep an eye out for Tara's Whey. I bet it packs a bigger protein punch than hemp. Smoothies are a favorite around here.

#651 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Max--Oh, I am SO EXCITED!! I forget--are you guys going to be in the hospital/room for the birth? Or are you planning to go after she's born (she! So awesome!)?

Bigfoot--have her try a hardboiled egg if she hasn't lately--I don't usually eat them, but that was my go-to early pregnancy snack for exactly that reason (that, and I started wanting to drink glasses of milk, which usually grosses me out).

Hi to everyone else! Things are moving so fast around here!

At my house, all of the crappy sleep and fussiness has been explained--Edie is getting both top teeth in at once! I think one might have actually cut already, but since she's still resisting exploration I can only get glimpses of it when we get her to smile upside down. I had gotten really used to her fighting us on taking tylenol, so it was funny last night when I was standing there with a syringe full of it, waiting for DP to finish the diaper change and finally she was like, 'um, the baby is wondering why you aren't giving that to her.' Sure enough, she was staring at me like crazy and happily took the whole syringe, no complaints. I wonder if she's made the connection between that and the pain relief?

Oh! and a question! We're going to an indoor water park with some other local queer families this weekend--I think Edie might be the youngest kid going, and I don't know if we should get some kind of fancy floaty swimsuit thing for her. What are your thoughts? We've got a plain swimsuit and some swim diapers, so we're set in that regard, but should we look into some kind of floaty suit? Obviously we're not planning on letting her out of our sight/arms, but should get get one just in case?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#652 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Max--Wonderful news! I hope things begin to progress soon!\

Bigfoot--Fruit seemed to be the only thing that helped me.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#653 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Ida, meh... I used to teach swim lessons and I find now that floating things on the baby impede my ability to feel that I've got a hold on them, or impede my ability to help them learn to feel safe in the water. If you are comfortable in the water, then I wouldn't bother. However, if you don't feel good about your own swimming abilities then it may be a good option! Most pools have baby sized PFDs as well that you can borrow if you want to try something out without having to buy it, or ask another family if you can borrow something.

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#654 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Isa, no floaty suit is my vote. Their heads are still too big for them to stay upright in my experience. I've pulled too many kids (2 was more than enough for me!) from face down in water wearing them.

Max, yay girl!!!!!!

#655 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

I vote no floaty suit as well...they seem awkward and as you said little one will not be out of arm's reach anyway.

#656 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM

At what point would you start to worry about someone who's pregnant not gaining weight?  I know this is a question for a doctor, but just wanted opinions from people here who maybe gained weight later in their pregnancies and still had healthy babies.  DW was 17 weeks yesterday and has yet to gain an ounce of weight and even dropped a couple pounds after a stomach bug picked up in Mexico (probably).  Do I force feed her?  Just expect that her body will know what it's supposed to do when the time is right?  At least half a pound of baby should be in there by now!

Congrats to those with milestones (and babies!) coming up!

C (26) and S (27) and our little N, born June 18, 2013
#657 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM

East, I didn't gain much or easily with my first pregnancy. I lost 12 pounds my first trimester, was up 7 pounds by the third trimester and 27 by the end. I was on the small side to begin with. Baby was 8 pounds 6 ounces and quite healthy. I had no problem making milk BUT I was at my pre pregnancy weight at 3 days post partum and 20 pounds under at 2 weeks. It took me 18 months to get back to normal. I put effort into gaining more with subsequent pregnancies, but they were all quite healthy. Sara didn't gain until the second half of pregnancy, I think.

#658 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM

E2W with DD, I only gained 10 lb the entire pregnancy. After the first 10 weeks, I had lost 5, then gained 15 along the way, for a net of 10 lbs. DD was perfectly healthy. I didn't have an appetite at all, but I tried so hard to eat. DD was small, 5 lb. 3 oz, but was healthy. I had a horrible OB who used ultrasound almost every appointment to measure DD growth and never got a base measurement of fundal height. At the end, they did an ultrasound and said DD hadn't gained any weight from the last ultrasound, so we needed to induce that night and basically you can just shit on your birth plan... So that is one thing I would caution you, of she continues to not have very much weight gain; you might have to fight doctors if you have the interventionists type of OB even in a healthy pregnancy. That was my experience, at least.

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#659 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Oh, random historical bit, both my grandmas weren't allowed to gain more than 5 pounds the whole pregnancy. They were encouraged to smoke to keep their weight gain down. One of them said if you gained too much between visits, they would put a pig stamp on your chart. 3 pigs and they kicked you out as a patient. I have heard that low birth weight babies had a better chance of coming out safely when rickets made pelvic outlets more problematic. I really can't imagine only gaining 5 pounds.

#660 of 912 Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM

I have no idea when (or if) it's a issue. I lost 5 pounds at the beginning of both pregnancies (I'm heavier this time around) and last time I gained about 25lbs overall. My midwives don't weight clients but I weighed myself a week or so before birth because I was curious.

Seraf, where the heck did your grandmothers live?

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Lesbian And Gay Foster And Adoptive Parents Recruiting Assessing And Supporting An Untapped Resource , After Miscarriage Medical Facts And Emotional Support For Pregnancy Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page