Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting! November, December, and January 2013!!! - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#721 of 912 Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awesome! I am working up several meal plans but that one looks good. Also, we love Field Roast but usually save it for once in a while. I guess this is a good excuse to buy it more often! And DW just said, "YEAH, FIELD ROAST!!"

I also make a mean smoothie with banana, Greek yogurt, soy milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and hemp protein powder.

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 912 Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM

bigfoot is the master of smoothies. i am really excited that field roast has so much protein in it. 

darcy - your timing sounds excellent. i think the post-ovulation ultrasound is the coolest US I saw during our ttc process. having a picture of the twins in follicle form is a pretty special second place.

hope everyone's doing well. i'm ready for a nap. constantly! 7 weeks tomorrow! 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#723 of 912 Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM

oh, also, today i tried to go get a flu shot at target after work. despite the fact that i checked the PREGNANT box on the form, the pharmacist tried to give me the non-pregnancy-friendly flu shot. fortunately, i confirmed before she gave me the shot but oh my god. they weren't especially sorry about their mistake and. needless to say, i had something of a hysterical break-down in the parking lot. because i'm like a toddler and i was hungry and tired..... it was awesome. and i still have no flu shot.

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#724 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM

wishin' and Bigfoot, is that Field Roast the one you can get at Whole Foods?  I don't like to shop there much, for a number of reasons, but they are very convenient to my office...

Also, wishin', I love that high protein menu!  (I am not currently pregnant, but I have mild PCOS, so I try to eat insane amounts of protein at each meal.)

mrsandmrs, that is incredibly scary!  I would definitely follow up with a letter to Target corporate, and cc: the manager of that specific pharmacy, if you know who that is. 

Do you have a CVS Minute Clinic near you?  I got the single-vial, preservative-free flu shot there when I was pregnant.  They were very careful and respectful of that request - at least, the location I went to was.

As for us, we're currently having the living room painted, so A is going a little stir crazy since she's not spending as much time playing downstairs with Grandma as she's used to. 

It's about 28 degrees here, so I suggested to my spouse that he bundle A up Christmas-Story-style and take her on a long walk.  She can put her arms down when she gets to school!  orngbiggrin.gif

He might also try some sensory play in the bathtub - I've heard shaving cream suggested, and maybe dry oatmeal would work? Anyone got better ideas?

#725 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

wishin' and Bigfoot, is that Field Roast the one you can get at Whole Foods?  I don't like to shop there much, for a number of reasons, but they are very convenient to my office...

I'm not sure... we don't have a Whole Foods in our city! A lot of the big grocery stores here that carry health food items have them, but I think it is a PNW company.

#726 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM

I know you can get field roast at Whole Foods but our local co-ops all carry it.  I'm also pretty sure you can order it from the company too.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#727 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM

bigfoot--I eat protein shakes with fresh fruit. And lots of cheese and yogurt. Although I read the Luke book completely, I don't follow all of the food guidelines. So far, I have gained as much weight as I should without 4,000 calories a day (although I don't count them so I am unsure of how close I get)--I eat when I am hungry and never force myself to eat if I am not. The only thing I do follow completely are the extra vitamins/supplements. I swear those are making a difference....but that could be in my head. wink1.gif

For those of you not on facebook, here are our maternity photos! Sorry for taking over the page...

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#728 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM

lisedea, those photos are beautiful!  I love the one with the three little pairs of baby shoes!

#729 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM

lise -those pics are great!

AFM - I wanted to thank everyone who chimed with help and suggestions with DSp and I's argument.  We will certainly be talking about it again, but I will wait til our 8 week midwife appointment so she can easy DSp's fears about the safety, before I start discussing the other part of why he doesn't like the idea, which is the "weirdness" of it all.

Other news..... We have already told DD about being pregnant, and instructed her to not talk about it.  BUT, she of course told everything she knew to my mom!  So much for wanting to keep the joyous news to myself so it can stay joyous to me for a while!  (Pretty much knew it was inevitable that she would tell, though.)  My mother, instead of going to me ask about it, goes to my SISTER, I guess to ask if she knew.  My sister brought it up in a text message today.  Said some pretty inconsiderate things.  Ugh.  Have I ever mentioned how much my family has disappointed me?  Yeah, that's an understatement.

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#730 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

esenbee, sorry that your family hasn't been supportive. That's really hard. My family generally is supportive, but they also tend to say really idiotic things first. When we first told my mom about the twins, she said, "Oh no! Not twins!" My father said, "Did you mean to get pregnant?" Um, yeah. Hope your next midwife appointment goes well!

bigfoot, I found the Luke book helpful, but I also didn't (and still don't) count calories or grams of protein. I just tried to incorporate the overall advice into a new approach to eating. My take-aways were: eat every 3-4 hours; always combine a carb with a protein; incorporate high-protein foods like eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, and meat every day. (I'm not vegetarian, but pre-pregnancy I was more like a once every week or so meat eater. Now it's definitely more often. We only buy grass-fed, local, organic meat, so this has been expensive!) Once my morning sickness was gone, I also worked on cutting out carb-only snacks and meals. (Though seriously, I lived on bagels and cream cheese for several months, and everything seems to be okay.) I found that by focusing on these things, I gained weight according to her recommendations, and the babies are measuring the same size as singletons would be, according to the ultrasounds. And, I didn't make myself crazy keeping a food diary. She also suggests that you stop working at 24 weeks, and that was completely not a reality for me (I bring in the bulk of our income, and want to save my leave for after the babies are here). I talked about it a lot with my midwife (who trained in a high-risk ward and has tons of multiples experience), and she said that based on my health and the lack of any signs of pre-term labor, there was no need to stop working ahead of time. So, I found the book very helpful, but I also took some of it with a grain of salt.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#731 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Knitting and bigfoot/mrsandmrs--They treat twin pregnancies so differently now than they did 35 years ago.  I hope it's because they have done research and found that the new ways are better and healthier.  When my Mom was pregnant with my sisters, the doctor didn't even tell her they thought she was having twins until she was delivering.  My mom said it was because they were afraid one baby might not make it.  They were just like, "Oh, here comes another one"!  She delivered vaginally and I think they were both breech.  They were a month early but just fine.  My Mom knew something was up because she gained more weight than she had in her previous 2 pregnancies.  She still only gained 25 pounds. It seems like it would have been a good thing to know ahead of time so she could take better care of herself. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#732 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Esenbee, weirdness of squatting? Lol, no one will know unless he tells them. Does he know how many women poop in labor? Talk about weird. I'm sorry your family is being crummy.

Pokey, a lot of things used to be different, I guess? In the 50s (?) my uncle had cousins delivered months apart because one was having troubles inside.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#733 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM

A lot of things were different back when our moms were pregnant. My mom allegedly ( i say allegedly because I literally cannot believe this, but she says she was struggling with infertility and tracking her dates ) went 7 weeks overdue in her pregnancy with me. She had a rural family doctor as her OB, and he said as long as things seemed fine, why mess with nature? I was born with the muscle control to lift my head. I'm pretty sure you'd just get induced or get sent to jail for child abuse if you were 7 weeks overdue these days!

I don't imagine that having twins and finding out that one of them didn't make it would be less traumatizing if you were still in shock about the "having twins" part. I mean, i have known for two weeks now? and i am still completely in shock. 

lise - i think i skipped the supplement section. ok, honestly, i barely skimmed the book. i left the nutrition reading to bigfoot. i'll go back and see what else I should be taking. 

#734 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Mrs, how big were you? O had head control at birth and almost crawled off a table at a few hours old. He was like a monkey an could hold himself onto my neck with his startle reflex. He was 40 weeks and a day.

#735 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Hey folks!  Does anyone subscribe to Sparkle Stories?  (It's an old fashioned radio show style subscription service for children's stories)  I am thinking about ordering for DS (he listens to audio books/wee sing cds for quiet rest time).  If you have a subscription, is it any good?  How is the quality?  Are ANY GLBT families represented?  (I e-mailed the company, but thought I'd ask here)

That said, I got a GREAT deal on a 6 pack of BumGenius (it's what we use for overnight once baby stops pooping at every nursing and is sleeping more than a couple of hours in a row).  SO excited, it was a local stores clearance!  

Lise--awesome photos!!!!  

Esenbee--so sorry your family isn't supportive :(

MRS&MRS and Bigfoot--glad my "meal plan" was helpful!  We did Bradley classes (which I hated) but part of it was tracking protein and, since our instructor was skeptical about my ability to eat 80 grams of protein a day on a vegetarian diet I got really anal about proving her wrong (yeah, I'm a bit passive aggressive).  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#736 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM

6lbs7oz. yeah, apparently i was some kind of baby like that. i don't remember, of course, and am skeptical of the legend.

#737 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM

wishin' - i can see that. passive-aggressive protein intake! that is totally my style. i think part of the reason i care is just to show that it's possible.

(i had 50 g of protein for breakfast today) 

#738 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM

wishin'-Since you brought up diapers.  Bumgenius are a pocket diaper, right?  I was considering the fuzzibunz which is similar.  But I was wondering if this is something you could use a doubler or something extra with for nighttime?  And can you get extra liners, or do you wash the liner and cover every time you use it?

#739 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Pokey--yeah, they are pockets--and we used them for night time with DS because they are stay dry (so synthetic fabric on the inside--fleece) and you can stuff them w/ as much absorbency as you need.  We only used them once he stopped pooping at night tho'--and he'd stay in it until morning (we were trying to eliminate the possibility of wake ups due to feeling wet).  Frankly, I vastly prefer prefolds and covers and that's what we use for day time and what we'll use at night probably for the first 4-5 months.  Synthetic fibers tend to absorb stink more easily and you just have to be far more careful with the upkeep in order to keep them working properly (i.e. not repelling).  We will be re-using ALL of DS1's thirsties, bummis and flip covers AND all of the prefolds for DS2--BUT the bumgenius are way too trashed for another round (to give them credit, we used the same 6 diapers for about 2 years (1 diaper a night) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT--so that's 18+ months of all night diapering for about 100 dollars).  Oh, and with pockets the cover AND insert need to be washed every time you use it...with covers and prefolds you only need to wash the cover if it gets poop on it or if the non-plu fabric bits get soggy.  Oh, and, you can buy additional inserts if you need them (we would stuff with a tri-folded prefold AND with an insert every night--it gave him an ENORMOUS bum, but he rarely if ever leaked)

#740 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM

pokey and wishin -I have been emersing myself into the world of cloth diapering yesterday and today.  There is so darn much to learn!  I am looking into gdiapers right now, using the cloth inserts and having a package of flushable inserts on hand.  I have read some bad reviews, but have also seen positive reviews.  Just like all of the other CDs out there.  It seems like gdiapers have the most bad reviews though.  I am pricing right now to figure out just how much more expensive it will be than other CDs.

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#741 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM

lisedea & tigers - It is encouraging to hear you aren't having to track every bite. I think we will try to count protein since that is a bit of a challenge, but I also think our bodies know better than any book what to do! And I don't like the idea of, say, eating a candy bar to meet some calorie goal.

Wishin' - do you like the Flip covers as much/more compared to the Thirsties/Bummis? I was thinking they were super cute. Since we are having two it is making it easier to resist the allure of all the fancy pocket diapers. When the teenager was little there weren't so many options and I did diaper covers and prefolds. I have been so amazed by all the new diaper technology, and want to believe it is somehow amazing, but I also don't like the idea of washing the whole diaper more often vs. re-using the same cover a bunch. 

I was also vegetarian with my pregnancy, and I LOVE it when people try to tell me it is unhealthy because then I can tell them about my 9 lb. 9 oz. baby who was the picture of health, and vegan until age 5 and in the 95th percentile for height/weight (and 6 foot 3 at 16). It feel like it is going to be an interesting test to see what our future OB says about a vegetarian twin pregnancy.

AFM - surviving my first week back on night shift after a year on straight days. It is really challenging not to tell my good friends at work when nothing but conversation is happening at 4am, but I am determined to hold out another 6 weeks.

#742 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM

DW babysat longterm for a family that used fuzzibunz, and she loves them.  We were going to go with those because that's what she's comfortable with, but I didn't see the point of a pocket diaper - you have to wash the whole thing each time no matter what, whereas if you use prefolds, sometimes you should be able to get away with just washing the prefold and not the diaper cover (obviously not every single time).  So that's what we're tentatively doing, and I say tentatively because who knows what works until you have a baby to test it on.  Hopefully it is not a huge waste of time and money to be getting together these covers and prefolds, but since I am sewing them, I need to start now.  

For those who used covers, how many did you need?  Sewing isn't too difficult, but it is a little time consuming, and I'd like to make as few as possible while still being realistic.  Plus it would be awesome if they would last for a second baby.  Do you need several sizes?  I'm a bit worried since someone mentioned at some point that the PUL fabric from Joann fell apart immediately, which is of course where I bought it, but I only bought enough for about five diapers for now, so I could switch it up.  I'm doing PUL on the outside, microfiber fleece on the inside.

lise - Love the pictures!  I cannot believe the difference between triplets and a singleton - you only got pregnant a month before DW, but you look three times as pregnant!  (Makes sense.)  ;)

#743 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Bigfoot--Thirsties and Flip were my favorites.  Flip are one-size, so they are a bit big on a newborn but doable.  Thirsties are sized and I like the feel of the fabric a bit better than the Flip.  But, the Flip has a bit of stretch to the fabric so it's easy to get a nice snug fit with snaps.  We used sized covers, NB, Small and Medium (for the Thirsties)...but DS never needed larges b/c he potty trained at 2 1/2.  We NEVER EVER had a blow out in a snappied pre-fold with a cover.  We got our prefolds from greenmountaindiapers.com and were very happy with them (and with the price).  We had 2 dozen newborn, 2 dozen smalls and 2 dozen medium prefolds (so about 15 dollars per dozen) and washed every other day.  

Once he got into the M size he was in it for a LONG time, our Medium velcro covers all had the velcro wear out.  Thus, I prefer snaps to velcro.  Bummis are super cute, but the way the velcro on the front is, once kiddo was sitting up the velcro scratched his tummy terribly...so we stopped using those after about 6 months.  EasttoWest--I think we had about 8 covers in each size...keep in mind if you are going the purchasing as opposed to making them route, that you can always order more if you don't feel as if you have enough.  

#744 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM

esenbee--I have heard TERRIBLE things about gdiapers. I don't have any personal experience so I don't really know...but know of people around here that hated them so much they went directly to disposables after trying the,. These are the same people that don't think I should be cloth diapering now because of how awful it is (based on their experience with gdiapers)... Who knows though!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#745 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM

East, if you're using pockets, you need one cover for every is diaper change times how many days between washings. I've been making covers lately that are based on the Gdiaper style, Velcro in the back to prevent scratches, hardly uses any material because it doesn't have wings. 1 yard is enough to make 20 covers. Ultra simple to make. I'll post pictures if you like. We go through 2 covers a day per boy? Times days between washings. But our children are nudists.

#746 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM

e2w-Here's a whole website about sewing diapers.  They recommend what type of fabric to use.  I'm going to check this out.  I have a sewing machine that just sits in the closet.  It would make DW very happy if I actually sewed something.  smile.gif

The diaper thing is very confusing.  DW is on board with the concept so that's good.  I've been doing lots of research and making a wish list.  I want our system to be relatively simple and flexible.  We have a washing machine and that helps a lot.  Thanks for the advice everyone!  The research continues.

#747 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Pokey, there's a forum here with loads of diaper sewing resources. It's pretty simple. Something absorbent and something waterproof.

Here's Soren wearing a tshirt as a diaper.

#748 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks Seraf!  I'll check that out too.  Can you sew a decent diaper without a serger? 

btw, your kids get cuter every day!

#749 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Wishin' - awesome! I'm excited to have a good review for the covers I was looking at. It is awesome that there are so many options these days, but also a bit overwhelming. It was somewhat comical when DW tried to explain the pocket diapers to me.

#750 of 912 Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Pokey, I think so. Turn and top stitch is the term you are looking for.

Tags
Queer Families Common Agendas Gay People Lesbians And Family Values , Lesbian And Gay Foster And Adoptive Parents Recruiting Assessing And Supporting An Untapped Resource , After Miscarriage Medical Facts And Emotional Support For Pregnancy Loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page