Queer Conceptions: December 2012 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 396 Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Samy-  Hello hello!  We are newbies!  Look forward to chatting with you more!

fmorris-  It will be a new year...I wish you lots of baby dust as well!  Hoping January will be your month!!!

#122 of 396 Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Any suggestions would be helpful...

I surge in the evenings between 2-6pm every month.  My RE says she doesn't want to inseminate until 2 days later (example I surge at 5pm on saturday...she wouldn't want to do the insem until monday morning)  isn't that a little late?  I haven't been temping because I have sleep issues and don't think I would get an accurate reading.  

When do you insem?  

Thanks so much!

#123 of 396 Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 PM

PDXmother - If you surge at 5pm on a Saturday, then a Monday morning (let's say 8am at the earliest?) IUI would be 39 hours after your positive OPK. To me, that's a little late. But, since you aren't temping, it's hard to say. Do you have any idea how long after your surge you actually ovulate? Depending on the brand, I believe most OPKs predict ovulation within 24-48 hours. With only one IUI, you want try to get it as close to O as possible, and probably no more than 6-8 hours before or after O.
The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth by Stephanie Brill (2006, page 255-6) provides the following recommendations for IUI with frozen sperm (keep in mind they recommend 2 per cycle): "For people who are nearing 40 or are in their forties, we recommend the first IUI with the positive OPK, or earlier if three [fertility] signs line up before getting a positive OPK, and the second inseminatin no later than twelve hours following the positive reading. For people in their twenties and early thirties we recommend one IUI twelve hours after the positive and another one twelve to eighteen hours later - assuming all signs line up with this timing. And for women in their mid- to late thirties it is somehwere in between the other suggestions, dependent on the results of the other signs being monitored."
So, you can see that in no situation are they recommending IUI later than 30 hours after a positive OPK. A few last thoughts... Do your sleep issues prevent you from getting three consecutive hours of sleep per night? If not, it might be worth your while to try temping to see if you can identify how long after your positive OPK you usually ovulate. Secondly, you might consider inseminating every other month, with two inseminations per month to try to cover more of your fertile time, rather than four straight months of one IUI each. Just some ideas, hope that helps!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#124 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 AM

Scorpioma I've never used a digital opk before but sounds very odd that was negative when the other opk was positive.... have you found the digital ones helpful in previous cycles though? I do wonder about investing in one, but you only get a few uses out of it right? Not sure if it is worth the expense...?

Twomommyfamily and PDXmother2b can I ask how many insem's you can do with each of the vials you get? Just curious because if when you say you have bought 4 or 5 vials, if that means 1 for each month and if you get more than 1 insem per vial? (frozen sperm clueless here)

Fille thanks for your support, I'm forcing myself to be more at peace with it not happening this month....I made a list of 10 things why it's okay for it not to happen yet...just to make myself feel a bit better. And I'm trying to figure out how I can still meet up with my donor and insem over the holiday period rather than skip a whole cycle which would be very depressing, so fingers crossed for that.

AFM I'm 9 DPO today tested with FMU and got a BFN again, at first I thought I saw something but I was imagining it from looking too long and hard at the dang test! Wishing it to be a line and it wasn't, so had to throw it away before I went crazy ha. My temp also dipped by .2 unfortunately and I have AF cramping, tender boobs etc. Will test again tomorrow. Sigh.

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#125 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Samy, how long is your LP usually? Are you charting somewhere you could link here? Both cramps and sore breasts are pregnancy signs as well as signs of impending AF. And temp ups and downs are really normal too. This was my obsession this past cycle: http://www.countdowntopregnancy.com. It might actually reassure you, as there are both sections on frequency of signs and symptoms preg vs. non-preg and stats on pregnancy test results (including by time of day tested and by brand). According to this site, at 9 DPO, 51.4% of pregnant women will get BFNs. Even with an early result test, that number would still be about 42% BFNs.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#126 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Samy: as far as I know, since we are doing this all in the RE's office, we can do one insem per vial. But 2 insems (using up two vials) per month, if we want. As of now, we are thinking one the first month, two the second. Also, since we will be doing the HCG trigger shot, the RE will be doing the ultrasound monitoring to look at the follicle length, wait until (I think) we are in the 20-24mm range, then trigger, then do the iui 24 hours later.

Also, I'm curious, as Fille asked, how long is your lp usually? Day 9 temp drop can be a good sign, the implantation dip. My lp is 8-9 days and I always had a temp drop on day 8 with AF starting the next day, which forced the issue with going to the RE. So if this is typical for you, it can be a quick fix with progesterone supplements. I'm pretty sure a regular OB can prescribe that even without testing, my doctor says there is no such thing as too much progesterone during the lp if you are ttc.
#127 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM

samy - fingers crossed for you! You're still in this - it's not over 'til AF arrives! Also, the vials are a one shot deal. You can't refreeze them after thawing, and they really need to be used ASAP once warm - within an hour at most. Plus, there really isn't enough in there for multiple insems anyway. Usually just 1cc for an unwashed sample, .5cc for washed.

PDX - I should have asked last night, are you using a trigger? That could alter timing recommendations in ways that are unfamiliar to me.

Afm, whistling.gif... Still no temp spike. Must distract myself today from checking my CM every five seconds, my poor cervix is so sick of being poked and inspected! I feel an afternoon of baking Christmas cookies coming on...

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#128 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Well, my other OPKs were not real positives! There you have it! I changed my FF to indicate this was the only +OPK.

Inseminating tonight again. KD has been so generous this cycle, wow... 

I might O either tonight or tomorrow, most likely tomorrow, but I want the sperm waiting there for the egg!

me (28) married to dp (30) + 2 dog fur-kids!  TTC our first baby!  baby.gif

BFP in 2009: still grieving my loss

4 tries so far (two with frozen, two with KD): all BFN

#129 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 AM

Well my LP is 12 days I think, but that is going by when I get the positive OPK's.... this is the first cycle I have been temping to get a clearer picture of things. I was trying to hope for the cramping to be implantation rather than AF coming today. I will link my chart when I know how to. Thanks for the advice, Im going to check out the linked site by Fille. How long should the LP be for best fertility?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#130 of 396 Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Hey sphinx,

Thanks for the suggestions!  I thought that timing was really late too...so I think I will shoot for sooner if possible!  I am actually due to surge tonight or tomorrow night, so I will temp tonight and see if I can catch when I have a temp change.  My sleep issues aren't super bad, so I guess I can start temping.  

I asked my RE about the trigger shot and she said she didn't recommend it for me because I don't have issues with ovulation. I think it would make timing the insem easier?!  What are your thoughts?

#131 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bummer, my doctor pushed back the trigger shot 2 days because the dominant follicle was too small (16mm on CD10). This puts us very close to the expiry date of the tank and instead of insemming on my day off work, I'll rush it early in the morning. There's another smaller follicle growing so perhaps that one delayed the growth of the other one?

Samy - I think the LP should be a minimum 12 days to ensure implantation (which usually happens around day 10).

#132 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM

PDXmother2b - I'm not familiar with the trigger shot personally, I just have heard from the people here on this board that it can impact insem timing. I've also heard that there's a higher chance of producing multiples with a trigger than without. If your doctor doesn't recommend it then I would wait on exploring it further until you see the results of your first couple tries without it. 

Friederike - Bummer about the timing adjustment. One of our inseminations last month was a bit rushed - I was driving back from out of town and had about 30-40 minutes of time overlapping with DW at our home before she had to go to work. So, I can empathize with preferring it for a day off. I hope you can find peacefulness that day.

Scorpio - Checked your chart this morning and saw that uptick in your temp! orngbiggrin.gif

Afm, I'm trying to maintain a zen-like attitude about this cycle, but of course that can be challenging. Today is CD20. This morning's OPK was negative, which is typical for me. A positive wouldn't normally come until mid-day, so I'll try again around Noon. Last cycle I got my positive on CD20, so I'm hoping that today is my day, while also trying to accept the fact that I have zero control over it. I really thought my late ovulation last month was due to my getting sick with a cold early in the cycle, but maybe these longer cycles are just becoming my new normal. I'm supposed to leave for a business trip tomorrow afternoon, so if fertility signs don't point towards an insem tonight, then I think we might just use our last vial before DW goes to work tomorrow morning, and hope for the best.

#133 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 AM

Sphinxy: Yes, it did go up a little, typical on O day, which is today (based on OPK). Finally... And I can relate, my cycles are ridiculously long. They surprise me every month.

Hang in there, hoping for that OPK today!!! Really glad you are feeling more peaceful, even though it is challenging.

Looks like your temp went down, so maybe O soon...

Friederike: Totally feel you. I wish we could all just lay in bed all day when we insem. Deep breaths that morning! When will it be?

Inseminated last night for the last time. Here's to hoping the timing was good enough. whistling.gif

#134 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Scorpio - congrats on the +OPK. must be a relief to see it without questioning it! 

Sphinxy - i hope your weird timing works out serendipitously! FX

Friederike - been there! it's so frustrating. come on, lil follicle, get moving! 

i hope everyone's doing well. i've been overbooking myself in an effort to stay distracted. we have 2 follicles over 20mm and one at 15 yesterday. my e2 numbers have been a lot better this cycle. we triggered last night at 11:30 pm, doctor's orders. for some reason the trigger shot hurt HORRIBLY this month. it's never done that before, and i have been getting injections sometimes 2x a day + daily blood draws, so i would expect i'd be a little less sensitive to needles at that point. i did forget to ice it, but we didn't ice for the trigger shot in the past. i'm going to do 2 iui's this cycle, one today and one tomorrow. i have heard it doesn't help to do 2 iui's, but the nurse kind of talked me into it, and really? what's another $600 at this point? i will be 14 dpo on christmas!!

tomorrow i have an IUI in the morning and a meeting with an adoption agency in the evening. should be a really busy day... anything to distract from the tww. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#135 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post

PDXmother2b I've also heard that there's a higher chance of producing multiples with a trigger than without.

A trigger will not make you produce more eggs (therefore multiples)--it just helps people with ovulation issues OR people that have a really difficult time pinpointing ovulation and want to get better timing. Most of the time, if you are on follicle stimulating meds (what actually could increase your chances of multiples), a doctor normally--but not always--prescribes a trigger shot as well since it is part of the medicated/monitored process.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#136 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM

mrsandmrs: YAY! Congrats on the trigger/IUI plans! I am glad you are going "all in" this month! Really sorry it hurt so much. greensad.gif

I will be testing on Dec. 23ish (14DPO), so we'll be close, as expected. So excited for you!

#137 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM

lisedea - I'm glad you chimed in. I have a follow-up question. If the body is naturally producing multiple eggs without medication, will the trigger shot not increase the likelihood that those eggs are released simultaneously?

#138 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM

sphinxy--If you are producing more than one mature egg at a time (somtimes you could produce more than one but *normally* only one matures--the other(s) are absorbed back into your body) your chances for multiples is always higher--the trigger just makes you ovulate at a specific time. So really, triggering doesn't give you a higher chance to have multiples but producing more than one mature egg at a time does...

Hope that helps! smile.gif

ETA: I should also add that if an egg isn't matured, the trigger doesn't necessarily make it release--and even if it does release it will not be matured enough to create a baby.

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#139 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Oh, the insemination timing around the Holidays...  Last year, our first insem was in late December and I was FREAKING OUT about timing in regards to Christmas Eve traveling to the in-laws.  It all worked out okay, I ovulated later than I had thought that month (mind you, I hadn't tracked it prior and was just going off of when I must have ovulated in order to get pregnant with DD way back in 2008...) and didn't get a +OPK til after Christmas.  THIS YEAR, if my LP stays usual (13/14), then it puts insem-ing and ovulation smack dab in the middle of the extended New Years traveling to the in-laws.  DSp has expressed that he absolutely does NOT want to insem at his parents' house.  (Since New Years is on a Tuesday this year, both of our works let us have the full day on Monday off for New Years Eve too, making it a 4 days weekend, so we will spending the night there the whole weekend...)  So, I'm beginning to freak out again this year too.

ALSO, one morning last week, DSp casually mentioned as I was going about the house getting ready for work, that we should hold off on trying anymore after this 1 cycle.  I just kind of acknowledged the comment, but didn't really say much.  Inside my head, I was COMPLETELY confused. Before, our plan was to go pick up where we had left off, go to the RE, do an IUI for the first time, 1 cycle.  I felt that if we could find a less expensive cyrobank, that we could do it on our own 1 cycle (maybe even 2), then go back to the RE for cycle #2 of re-trying.  I found a less expensive cryobank, found donor that we both thought was just as wonderful as the one we had with California Cryobank, so we decided to try it at home again.  Now, DSp says we're just gonna do 1 cycle and STOP?  WTH?  It was DSp that wanted to start trying again, and when I wanted to hold off 2 months so we could have the opportunity to go the Philippines family reunion and I wouldn't be too pregnant, DSp wasn't too happy about waiting.  Now, he just wants to quit after just 1 cycle?  I don't understand AT ALL..  irked.gif

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#140 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM

On cycle day 17 and still no smileygreensad.gif.  Still waiting for that twinge on on side...it's hard when you have very little to no CM every month...frustrating!  Most women hate CM and I pray for it!

lol.

#141 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM

i just got done with our first iui of this cycle. the vial's sperm count was 140 mil. nut.gif with 50% motility, we had over 30 million motile in the vial. my mind is blown. the lab guy was so stoked, he made sure the nurse pointed it out to us. 

can i be moved to Waiting to Know? Thank you! 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#142 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM

mrsandmrs - Holy cow, that's awesome! Swim boys, SWIM!

#143 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM

m-that sounds promising!  FX!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#144 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Well, friends and band mates, my second insem is done. I'm not as confident in my timing as I wish, but still hopeful.

fille - Please move me to Waiting to Know

#145 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

welcome to the tww Sphinxy! Leaving for business trip soon?

whistling.gif

#146 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM

On mye mobile so not really able to do all the personals, but I've had a wild 3 days with no time to temp or use mye opks, but I had a strange feeling in the right ovary nd I told DP I felt like I was ovulating. On mye whim I went nd grabbed one nd used it. Looks like I was dead on! Feel like mye body nd I r syncing nicely! Glad im feeling this, it helps so much with these cycles! What do you all think?

Meehrainbow1284.gif (25) and DPrainbow1284.gif (35) Started TTC DS/DD #1Jan12 IUI #1 2/12-BFN, IUI #2 Oct12-BFN. IUI#3-BFN Mar13-BFFN, Jan14- ???--Giving it a go at home this time with KD and fresh swimmersribbonrainbow.gif 

chartnew.gif  www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fee2806

#147 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM

The clearblue and the strip (after 5 Mins). This upcoming cycle is so mine!

Meehrainbow1284.gif (25) and DPrainbow1284.gif (35) Started TTC DS/DD #1Jan12 IUI #1 2/12-BFN, IUI #2 Oct12-BFN. IUI#3-BFN Mar13-BFFN, Jan14- ???--Giving it a go at home this time with KD and fresh swimmersribbonrainbow.gif 

chartnew.gif  www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fee2806

#148 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM

fmorris  - Wow, that's some good intuition! Make sure you write all of this down so that you can look back on it next cycle!

esen - I'm sorry to hear about your timing stress and mixed messages with DSp. I hope you're able to get back on the same page soon. 

scorp - Thank you, I'm happy to finally be here! I hope you had a good relaxing yoga class today. Yup, I'm heading out early tomorrow. I will probably not be online nearly as often for the rest of the week. Thankfully I'll have good distraction at work and get to see some friends during my trip. 

Good luck to everyone waiting, and everyone inseminating!

#149 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM

My heart is broken for Nosreves and her DW... god that is so sad. I was just thinking about them the other day and realizing that they were about to give birth :( I'll be praying for them and their family. candle.gif

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#150 of 396 Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM

Welcome PDXmom2be! I'm glad you signed up. Isn't this board the best?! Now I'll have one more way to stalk you. lol :)

Have you O'd yet?

AFM, I am either CD 14 or 16. This cycle started so weird for me with two days of spotting, so I'm not entirely sure what this CD is. Either way, I did start getting copious amounts of EWCM yesterday and today. DW and I ordered a speculum from Maia Midwifery, so we've been "playing" around with that these last few days. It grosses DW out, but to me it's fascinating! The only thing is that I can't see my os. It must be tipped or something. With DW in town I can put my hands under my butt and have her hold the mirror and flashlight, but that's a no go with me doing it alone while she's out of town for the week at work. I did seem to notice that today my cervix seemed low and soft and again, lots of EWCM, so I may ovulate tomorrow, I'm thinking. I got a postive opk on the wondfo cheapie opks tonight. These last few days have been medium on the fertility monitor and I got an almost positive opk two days ago as well. I guess we shall see with the temps over these next few days. 

Fille, will you move me to Waiting to be ready? We are looking now at January instead of December as I didn't get to order our swimmers in time for this cycle. I'm excited to insem with several of y'all in January! October is my birthday, so I take that as a good sign when insemming in January :)

Good luck to all in the TWW!  Praying for lots of :storkgirl and :storkboy in September! 

xo, Abby

ps. Here's a pic of my wife and I getting our marriage license this past Saturday. It was so awesome! I can't wait till everyone has this ability in their own home state. 

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.

Tags
Trying To Conceive , Pregnancy , Birth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page