Queer Conceptions: January 2013 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aw, poop. Looks like I O'd yesterday. greensad.gif

Will do personals later, as I'm on my phone...

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Darcy and Escher – good luck with your upcoming insems

Chortles – my sister is a comedian and our KD is her friend. I’m SURE our process is going to end up in a sketch or routine one of these days, if it hasn’t already.  Our first try with the KD (in person rather than by mail) was SO awkward.

Fmorris – good luck figuring out your timing.  I agree with Scorp – don’t reply on FF entirely – I know my cycle really well and it has not been entirely accurate in its predictions for me.

Granite – Tiny cardigans get me every time. Can’t wait for some kitting projects of my own. Are you thinking of still trying this month in that post-O window?

Lindsey (and Soto) – I’m so into this making-your-own cloth diaper idea. Thanks for the tips.

Scorpioma – Sounds like your timing is great! Hope you get that + on the OPK! When right before we did the insem last week I ran into the room and said to DP, excitedly and totally out of context “I got a smilely face!” She had no idea what I was talking about.

Sotohana – I agree that your chart looks good. Good luck with the waiting – it is so hard! And good luck with the job transition.

2justice – I hope you’re able to sort out the timing with your acupuncturist. I did a detox cleanse for ttc and was really glad I did. Hope it helps with your migraines!

Lizbian – it’s funny, dp is really into reproductive health and has even taught sex ed, but when I explained my charting to her she was like, “you’re keeping TRACK of your CM and writing it DOWN? Gross.”

AFM – Thanks for all the positive wishes. I’m 6DPO and just trying to be patient. I’m going to try to wait to test until a week from today. DP wants me to wait as long as possible, but I don’t want to wait too long because in the off chance it works out, I’ll probably need to start progesterone right away, but my doctor doesn’t want to do a blood test to check until I get a bfp. Ugh. Waiting. Interestingly, a colleague of mine is also TTC - we both had losses in the fall and and we both did our insems on the same day last week. We run a program together and I'm so curious to see if we end up pregnant at the same time and what that will mean for our working relationship and also for our program.

me (34), dp (39), and baby J who joined us in October 2014!

(Two years and two mcs after we started tcc )
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Lea2012: Baby dust to you for the next week of waiting! How interesting that you are waiting with a colleague and that you both had losses at the same time previously. Why does the doctor not want to do the day 7 dpo blood test for progesterone? From what I understand, it also can't hurt to take it before you get your bfp.

Granite: Oh no! Thats awful that you already o'd! Its especially frustrating because your follicular phase is so long and now its another waiting game. I truly love what you said, "Every little stitch I make is a wish and a prayer for my own pregnancy." I know it can still work immediately post-o, would you run in to the doctor to insem today??

2justice: thats awesome that you are working with your acupuncturist to make sure you are perfectly ready to start. I think a cleanse is a really good thing to do before trying, if you can. I hope you can do it sooner rather than later though. Chronic migraines sounds so awful! 

Sotohana: I'm thinking a bfp is in the works for you still this cycle! Your chart looked so good!! 

Scorpioma: Lucky you with your multiple insems with KD each cycle. I'm so jealous! Thats so good that you have so many fertile signs, its always great to get "tons of EWCM" I think I get a good half a day of some (not tons) of EWCM each month, thats about it. 

Darcy & Sphinxy: Did either of you two insem this weekend? 

AFM, twiddling my thumbs, only half focused on work, and doing yoga daily to get through this follicular phase. This week is going to be a long one. The follie scan isn't until saturday and that seems age from now! 

Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Sotohana, when I was pregnant with my DS, my chart looked so awesome that I was sure I was pregnant but I got a BFN on 11dpo. We waited until 13dpo to test again and got a BFP. Did you use one that was advertised as a super-early test? I'm still crossing my fingers for you! It is also great to hear that your LP is lengthening even if it does turn out that you're not pregnant. Does your dw have Skype available in her hotel rm? Maybe she'd agree to an Wednesday test with her virtually present?? It is sweet that she wants to experience the BFP with you.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Thanks so much for all the encouragement y'all. I did ask DW about Skype, but she said no. Our first time insemming she had to be out of town, so she was on Skype while I had the IUI. It's starting to feel more okay as the day wears on. This morning was super rough, but I'm feeling better now- 'bout to go to Baby's R Us with little sis so she can finish her registry. I'm throwing her a pink polka dot, hearts and baby elephants baby shower on 2/10.

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM

sotohana, I totally agree with Lindsey on this: Skype in your DP and take another test!!! Okay, okay, I'll calm down, and totally respect your choice... I'm just really stoked about that chart you showed us. And it really is so sweet that your DP wants to share in this as much as possible. Edited after I saw your above post: Hugs!

twomommyfamily, I admire you for doing yoga daily! I keep intending to do the same, but I find it hard to enjoy outside of a class (and can't fit in a daily trip to a yoga studio). Do you practice on your own at home, with or without videos for guidance? I was looking for online yoga videos specifically to aid fertility, and there's lots, yet I'm unfamiliar with many of the poses and it makes me not want to try them for fear of hurting myself. What style do you practice?

Thanks for mentioning "The Business of Being Born", 2justice. I was trying to remember the name of the film just this past weekend; I've never seen it, and would like to watch it with my DP. Currently, she's against a home birth (whereas I see it as ideal)... I'm glad you and your DP agree on that.

AFM: At my ultrasound this morning, the doc first told me that all the bloodwork from the previous days showed I wasn't close to O'ing yet, but then saw lots of half-developed follicles in each ovary (the classic "string of pearls", my major PCOS symptom)... And then he found a corpus luteum in my right ovary, which is where I *knew* I had a developing egg! So yeah, a corpus luteum means the egg's popped out already, and I just checked my progesterone test results to confirm that they are sky-high: I'm a day late to the insem parade, and it's left without me. Arg!!!

Not much to do now but wait for AF, then start Clomid again... And in the meantime, knit furiously away at tiny little articles of clothing. Depending on how crazy I feel in the next couple weeks, I just *might* end up knitting enough baby cardigans for *all* of our future infants, like scorp suggested!

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Aww granite, that must be sooooooo frustrating. Each cycle brings new information though, right? Blah! Trying to find the silver lining but that really just sucks. It is great that you could feel the O and really had proof that you were right.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Oh, btw, since you mentioned knitting Granite -- have you seen these:

A friend of mine was making one (called a baby cocoon) and it totally made me want to finally learn how to knit!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM

Just popping in to say I am still waiting for the smiley face! Testing 3-4 times a day sure feels like a waste of money!! I am really late as last month I got it on CD15 and all months previous I got the smiley on CD19. I am now going on CD21. I got so nervous this morning that I made another mid cycle ultrasound appointment for tomorrow - what's another 200 bucks ugh! Best case scenario is that she finally sees a follicle big enough to trigger and we do the insem on Thursday. Worst case is that my follicles are still tiny and I send back the tank and sperm because it's so expensive to keep for who knows how long until the smiley face appears.The silver lining here is that I still have a small amount of ewcm and my temps are still low. I do wonder if this long wait is due to a new exercise/diet regime I started last week. I know Brill says not to change any of that stuff while TTC but the changes I have made have been small and necessary so I guess I have to live with that!

Good luck to everyone in the TWW and Granite I am so sorry about you missing your O. I thought blood work was super accurate but I guess not all the time.

Twomommy - What cycle day are you on? Very excited for your follie scan this weekend!!

2justicemamas - loved that documentary! If I wasn't going to be high risk I would definitely do a home birth. 

Scorpioma - any smiley yet?

me (35) married to dw (28)
TTC#1 with frozen swimmers 
IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #7 Jan 2013 BFP finally but the bean didn't stick
IUI #8 TBD
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

chortles, scorpioma, and cordelia - I love the awkward KD SNL sketch ideas.ROTFLMAO.gif Probably not as funny when you have to live through it, but doesn't laughter make it all feel better?

And granite, sotohana, and lindsey are totally feeding my addiction to updating my imaginary baby registry and daydreaming about little things. Anything to pass the time. 

merstone - Did you get in touch with your doctor today to discuss the bleeding? I'm still crossing my fingers for you!

granite - Ugh. How frustrating. I'm feeling bitter on your behalf about the crappy regulations and timing issues.

soto - Perhaps it's a blessing, frustratingly disguised, that you promised dw you would wait to test again. 11DPO is still early, and at least in my experience, repeat BFNs are torture. 

darcy - We seem to have quite a few members of the "The longer I TTC, The longer my cycles get" club. You are not alone. I was pulling my hair out where you are last month, and didn't O until CD23, when my previous average had been CD18. I like to think that my body has figured out what is happening and is just being super thorough in its preparations. 

Afm, twiddling my thumbs at CD17 (well, it's past midnight here, so I guess I'm on CD18 now). I feel like I'm doing a good job being patient, but I also know that I just need to take it moment by moment. I had the creepiest dream about EWCM last night, that basically had me accidentally removing it all while checking my position/texture. 

Just a reminder to everyone to let me know when you want to be moved around in the first post categories.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM

sphinxy -I LOLed at your dream. I was always afraid of removing it all while checking... I had so little to begin with!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM

LOL to Sphinxy's dream! Amazing! That is epic...

Got my + OPK today at 10:30am, so insemination tonight and or tomorrow. Tonight is probably safer, yeah? KD is flexible... Which would YOU do? Tonight, tomorrow morning, or tomorrow night? Lol.

Darcy, some of us order internet cheap OPK strips, and then confirm with Clear Blue, which is MUCH cheaper. Check http://saveontests.com, which is where we get ours.

Anyways, I TOTALLY feel you on the long cycle, it is day 22 for me and I JUST got the +OPK- what the heck?! All we can do is chase down this little egg!

sotohana, how are you hanging in?

granite, UGH, I am sorry that egg escaped without you at the parade!  When do you start clomid? Any sense of peace at this point or jus frustration?

me (28) married to dp (30) + 2 dog fur-kids!  TTC our first baby!  baby.gif

BFP in 2009: still grieving my loss

4 tries so far (two with frozen, two with KD): all BFN

Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Scorpioma - I just got my smiley face this morning. Trying to confirm with the test below b/c my clinic says the smiley comes early.   

Would you call that a positive?  ETA - Thanks for the info on the cheap tests. For some reason I am totally reliant on the smiley ones and have to use those because they turn positive early and I am that much of a control freak and want the heads up. 

Sphinxy - What a great dream!! 

IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #8 TBD
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

YAY DARCY!

In my opinion, that is DEFINITELY a positive! When are you scheduled for insemination?

Weird, I always thought the cheap strips are more sensitive than digital...

I will have to look into that! 

Anyways, YAY. +OPKs always make me feel so much less stressed, congrats!

ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Granite- sending you hugs. So sorry you missed your O. :(

Sphinxy- that's a freaky dream! lol!

Darcy- Yay for your positive OPK!

Scorpioma- So happy you are in the TWW and offically got your positive OPK! I have good feelings for you this cycle.

AFM- doing okay today. Still no period, but my temp did drop a bit more and I'm getting some leg cramps, which are usually a tell tale sign of the first day of my period. Though...I do usually get them after I've started flow. So, I don't really know anything. I've been having the hardest time sleeping because I'm so anxious to temp that my temps have been really inaccurate, I'm afraid. Do any of you know if I could take a natural sleep aid and if it would affect my BBT? I'm considering that for the next few days so I don't drive myself up the wall. Also, are there any natural sleep aids you might recommend?

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

soto - In my opinion, the benefits of getting some good sleep far outweigh the potential affects on BBT charting. I also struggle with some TTC anxiety/sleeplessness around insem and testing times. If I were you, I would take some melatonin tonight. My understanding is that it has no affect on implantation. 

darcy - I agree, definitely a positive, especially if accompanied by a smiley face. Yay!! When does this mean you will insem?

scorpio fingersx.gif fingersx.giffingersx.gif fingersx.giffingersx.gif fingersx.giffingersx.gif fingersx.giffingersx.gif fingersx.gif

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Darcy - I would say that is a positive OPK.

scorpioma -Are you able to insem twice?  I would go with tonight and tomorrow night.  If you can only do it once, I might go with tomorrow morning.  What does your chart tell you?  How long after do you have a temp spike?  For me, I O'd overnight after my positive OPK in the afternoon.  But from I can tell from articles and such, that is not what the majority of women are like.  I am glad I forewent what all of the articles said, especially about younger women like myself and we insem-ed when we did, because we nailed the timing ;) 

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Darcy: I would call that positive. I don't think I've ever had one that dark. 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I made two appointments one for tomorrow at 2:15 and one for Thursday at 9am. Unfortunately I can only do one insem so I am going to see how my temp looks tomorrow. 2:15 would be 31 hours after positive opk. 9am the next morning would be 50 hours after positive opk. The last time I inseminated at 30 hours after positive opk I didn't ovulate until the next day and didn't get a temp rise until the day after that. I am going to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrrow. 50 hours just sounds so late...

IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #8 TBD
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

Scorpioma: We're using a WTBK donor from a bank. We would have loved to use a KD, but we just didn't have a good candidate for the position. We're lucky to be in touch with a number of the donor sibs and their moms, so it is as good as it can be without a KD. Hooray for your positive opk! With KD I would probably do tonight since the fresh stuff can live for a while. Can you do tonight and tomorrow night or is that not possible?

Sotohana: I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed for a more delightful test result for you on Friday! I am seriously impressed that you're willing to throw a baby shower while TTC. I hope it is fun!

2JusticeMamas: What kind of cleanse are you planning to do? It's great that your DW is becoming so invested in the process. I think it is easier to survive TTC if both partners are really into it. We loved working with our homebirth midwives and plan to work with them again (even though we had an unusual emergency transfer during our last birth!).

Granite: I'm so sorry that you missed the O. greensad.gif

Lea: It sounds like you are much better at waiting than I am if you're planning to wait until 13dpo to test. Impressive patience!

Twomommyfamily: Are you doing general yoga or do you have some kind of special fertility practice?

Lindsey: I don't remember: when are you getting betas? That baby cocoon is adorable. A friend knit us a baby sleep sack like this that was surprisingly useful (and cute!) early on.

Darcy: That looks positive to me! Good luck with getting perfect timing!

Sphinxy: That is a hilarious dream.

AFU: CD6. We missed her O last cycle (we're pretty sure we just started testing too late), so we'll probably start opks in a couple of days. So far we haven't been thinking about it too much, but I know that will change when we're closer to O and will likely change even more once we're in the TWW. What do you all do to try to keep your stress level low?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM

sphinxy - funny dream, it's amazing what the sub conscious does eh. I have been told off by the DW - she no longer wants to hear anything about CM & especially not the different types as it makes her want to vomit ROTFLMAO.gifyou can be sure that I'll just drop it into conversation at regular intervals now

Darcey & Scorp good luck girlies

The IVF clinic we'll use (if the home insem doesn't work) have an annual get together where you can take your kids so they can speak to others in the same situation which I think is a great idea & we'll deffo do if we're still on this side of the world.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Hi all, I'm curious to hear your response to escher's question about how to keep the stress level down. I'm anxious! DP and I are pretty much constantly thinking about when will the RE do the iui, would if I have to test a particularly violent child during the tww (I test a new child every week), also sometimes I have to travel for work and I don't always know very far ahead of time. Anyways, just generally wondering what everyone does to manage stress.

Darcy: seems like the 31 hours is a safer bet than 50. But I've heard of 48 working so why not 50! I don't know but I do wish you loads of baby dust on the coming days!

Sphinxy: I loved your dream! Oh that precious EWCM!

Scorpioma: I agree with Esenbee, if KD doesn't mind then insem both tonight and tomorrow night! It won't hurt, right? Have I mentioned how awesome it is that you have a KD?!

Granite and Escher: I've practiced ashtanga yoga for several years but I stopped over a year ago. It felt like the opposite of a fertility supporting practice because its so rigorous. Now I practice at home and for Xmas my sister got me a DVD set called "Restoring Fertility" it has different practices for the 4 phases: menstrual, follicular, ovulation, and luteal. I like it. It's relaxing with an emphasis on restorative poses and bringing awareness to the uterus on ovaries. I also have a Brenda Strong Yoga for Fertility DVD that's nice too.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM

whatever. Lizbian, tell DW that CM is SEXY!

*insemination tonight and if temp. doesn't jump in the morning, again tomorrow, escher. 

Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good luck for tonight then Scorpio!

The stress level question - I simply run a lot. It's really cold and snowy outside so perfect conditions for contemplative long jogs. And if I am particularly agitated and running isn't enough I either play some loud songs on the guitar with singing on top of my lungs and off- key or I play the drums. Might also resort to cooking or cleaning as stress reducer but those are less likely. And I am knitting a huge baby blanket that I am going to felt in the washer later.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

escher - Regarding things to keep the stress at bay while waiting to O... I really tried to take to heart the keys to a fertile lifestyle that are mentioned in the Brill book, they became a bit of a mantra for me after BFN #2: Food, Sex, Exercise, and Sleep. So, I try to eat clean foods, orgasm at least once a day, exercise about every other day, and get at least 7 hours of sleep per night. The exercise had been a struggle for me because after my first insem I completely fell out of my routine, and then was having trouble feeling motivated to get back into it after the first BFN. But good sleep is hard to come by if I don't exercise, and lack of both can let my nervous energy wreak havoc. All four really help the body feel at its best, and when the body feels good it's easier for the mind to feel good. I'm sure it also helps that I know more now about what to expect, but this has by far been my easiest time waiting to O yet. Oh, also, this is my first cycle without any other potentially disruptive plans around my possible insemination days (like travel). So, I would suggest looking at your calendar and planning to be flexible with your schedule, kind of taking it as a given that any plans around those days are subject to change. 

Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM

twomommyfamily re stress levels I've always exercised. I get grumpy when I don't exercise for more than a day & it helps my mood, sleep etc.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM

from tonight.

KD: "I am just really worried that it isn't enough... Like that it's less than last month!"

DP: "No, I think it's actually quite a bit more than last month, and it's plenty! We measure it when it is in the syringe."

:crickets:

DP: "Well, Sarah baked you some cookies, I know it's not much of a thank you, but here you go!"

KD: "Why thank you..."

Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM

And twomommyfamily, yoga is perfect! And exercise, lots, and talking/processing - and planning helps me calm down during ttc/insem. stress.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Orgasm once a day? Damn - no wonder that Brill book is sold out everywhere! orngbiggrin.gif

Scorpioma - good luck tonight! I love the "awkward conversations" wink1.gif from sperm to cookies in less than 14 words!

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

chortles - well, I think Brill's recommendation was like four times a week, but I'm an over-achiever!

scorp - OMG, thank you for sharing the next installment of the SNL sketch - love it!!

User Tag List