Queer Conceptions: February 2013 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!  I apologize for not being active much over the last week...working retail sucks the life out of you (or maybe it's just me).  We had our sonogram Friday: 4 follicles in right and 2 in the left; 2 of the 4 in the right were getting quite big.  Expected to get a positive opk on Thursday, but *surprise* it happened yesterday!  So an early morning call to the RE nurse today leads us to insemination this afternoon joy.gif Perfect timing, as I'm off today and had acupuncture scheduled this morning.  I attribute the early surge to the Fertili-Tea and acupuncture which are supposed to regulate your cycle; and it probably didn't hurt that I held our friends' newborn midweek!  So, as of this afternoon I can be added to the 2ww group goodvibes.gif  I have a strong feeling about this time!  It's been great reading everyone's ups and downs on here...knowing that I'm not alone. 

Hope you all have a wonderful week!  Until next time...  jumpers.gif

#62 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM

escher good luck with the appointment, I think your idea of trying alternatives is a good one.

lovingisliving yay!joy.giffingers crossed for you, we'll be joining you in the TWW in a week.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#63 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Lovingisliving: sounds like the planets aligned for a nicely timed insem today!! Fx for you!! I will change your status to waiting to know as soon as I get home from work (can't be checking out MDC on a gov't computer... I'm writing on my phone at the moment)

Escher: I hope your RE understands your choice to hold off on clomid. I think it's good to try everything you can before doing interventions that you aren't exactly comfortable with. I hope that vitex and acupuncture end up working! Give it some time too, they may be not a be a quick fix, but that doesn't mean they aren't working.

Lizbian: wow the stress of selling your house and moving combined with the stress of ttc! Work in some meditation/decompression time when you can to give your body and mind a break! So exciting that your first insem is right around the corner!!

KWPX: sounds like you will also be in for a VDay insem!! Also your father really is a great guy and will be a wonderful grandpa!

Scorpioma: perhaps a break to think things over will help give you the time you need to focus on yourself and DP. Let us know what you decide for this cycle!

Granite: I will add your chart to the main page as soon as I get home from work!

Darcy: my RE won't beta test till I get a bfp. So we wait. Good luck with clomid this cycle! Does that mean you put off the HSG? Seems like you could still get the HSG done even if taking clomid. It sounds like if the follies grow then you will also be joining the V day insem club! It also sounds like you are working through some issues with DP. She definitely had every right to be angry about how kaiser mismanaged your care the last few months. It must have been surprising to hear that she would be interested in carrying since that didn't seem to be an option (until much later when she would be ready). How are you feeling with all this? It seems like so much is riding on this cycle and your body's response to clomid. I really want it to work for you!!

Afm, not much to report. 11dpiui. Already thinking of what we can do differently next cycle.
#64 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Hello everyone! My wife and I are just starting to look down the road of ttc. This site was recommended to us by a friend! Looking forward to sharing in this experience with all of you :) 

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40
#65 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jam51212tiphat.gif Welcome! Let us know where you are in your process and if you have any questions about any of the various details involved in ttc. Want me to add you to the first post as "waiting to be ready"?

#66 of 319 Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Hi all!

Welcome Jam!

twomommyfamily and Friederike – good luck with the last few days of the tww –fingers crossed for both of you!

lovingisliving – wow – sounds like things worked out well timing-wise for your insem. Good luck with the TWW – I’ll be joining you in a couple days!

escher – good luck with your consultation with the RE – I think it is good that you have a clear sense of what you want going into it.

lizbian – moving and ttc at the same time does sound stressful, but might be easier to do now than once you have a little one…your swim team is on such a journey – good luck with your upcoming insemination – I think we’ll be in the TWW together.

Darth, darcy and granite – I’m definitely planning to start acupuncture next cycle if things don’t work out this month. Three of my coworkers have started going to a student clinic in the area ($15 a session) and have been sharing their (positive all around) experiences.

Darcy – so good that you and DW are talking through everything so you can be on the same page as you move forward.

KWPX – your dad sounds sweet. I have an eager potential grandparent on my hands too, and I’m actually not telling my mom that I’ve started trying again, because I can’t handle her anticipation in addition to my own. Although I think her support through the process might actually be helpful. 

Apologies to those I missed! Who else is inseminating this week? Looking forward to joining some of you in the TWW...

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

****5****10****15****20****25****30***3 5****40
#67 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes, we need more people in the TWW. It was a bit lonely with just Twomommy and me. So welcome loving. 6 follies are a lot. Did you take any stim meds or do you normally have so many? What would you think abouzt having multiples? I am looking forward to many more moving over in the next couple of days bouncy.gif

Jam - Welcome.gif

Lizbian  - So did the Viking Icicles arrive already? Did you stare at the tracking page lots? Did the delivery guy look curious?

Escher - good luck for your doctors consultation!

Twomommy - 12 DPO today for you, right? Any testing happening? Hope you're feeling well.

Everybody else who I forgot, I am sorry, but good luck for great egg growth and/or insems.

I have a Question of the Day for everybody: What are the things that you deny yourself during the weeks leading up to O / in the TWW?

I am asking, 'cause I had a McD cheeseburger yesterday while on my way from work to my guitar group and felt a bit guilty about it afterwards. I was very hungry though and only had 5 minutes.

So for me it is: soda, fast foods, chinese take out, alcohol, caffeine, candy, runs that last longer than 2 hours, hot tubs and sauna visits. All stuff that I like  occasionally, but not right now. And also - TMI warning - sex during the time of insem (the turn-off factor of some anonymous guy's jizz) and orgasms during possible implantation days (due my superstitious belief it could harm an inplanting egg, which I know is silly).  How about you?

#68 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Friederike - I've not been on any stim meds and last time we did a sono there weren't as many. Fx that is a good sign for this try! As far as multiples, I've warmed up to the idea of twins, however they don't run in my family. But I'm open to being the freak accident in the family wink1.gif

Things I avoid before and during 2ww: cut back on my love of chocolate, no alcohol, no fast food. I've never been one to really drink soda or coffee. I amp up my meals to be healthier and try to keep my body as relaxed and stress free as possible, by doing things I love.

Good luck to those nearing the end of your 2ww and to those who will be joining the group soon!
#69 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM

welcome jam and congrats on being in the TWW lovingisliving...and those entering it soon!

twomommy, for now you can move me to Taking a Break, and if we decide to try (which won't be until Feb. 20 about, with my longer cycles), I will let you know! we are really in the midst of discussing whether we want/need that break, and all the pros and cons. The tricky thing is that we would have to take March off as well because of KD's schedule...

Our KD is getting his semen analysis Friday (DP is driving him, ha!) so we'll have more info very soon.

Also, you are getting so close to testing! excited? anxious? 

love to you guys!

me (28) married to dp (30) + 2 dog fur-kids!  TTC our first baby!  baby.gif

BFP in 2009: still grieving my loss

4 tries so far (two with frozen, two with KD): all BFN

#70 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM

jam51212 welcome! Welcome.gif hope you get something out of the group, I'm sure you will.

lea & granite yay - looking forward to being TWW buddies.

Friederike yep looked at the updates all the time. Sent yesterday, arrived 11am so sitting on my kitchen worktop. Some men are about to come and dig up some of my floorboards so may have to move it & the obvious 'human tissue' notice! The delivery guy didn't bat an eyelid which is quite amusing in itself. Love the TMI warning. Getting DW to check the position of my cervix. She's getting more used to it, still freaked out by the CM thing though but gradually wearing her down!!!!! Thinking Sunday & Monday going to be the insem days. Next time will order later, didn't know how long would take so didn't want to risk missing out completely.

Good QOTD - for me given up alcohol completely.We don't really have any fast food chains on the island (no Maccas, burger king, KFC etc as all banned) so only chips I have to give up. I don't drink tea or coffee so no worries there and don't smoke so not been a massive change. Just trying to avoid peas as apparently they're a natural contraceptive!

Today the politicians in Britain are voting for whether to pass a law to allow gay marriage. Of course it's caused all sorts of debate & the press rang me up for a 'quote' (I'm their gay spokesperson it seems). It'll be interesting to see if it goes through. We can't even have civil partnerships here in Guernsey so may have to make a visit to the mainland for a celebration.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#71 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Thank you everyone for the welcome!!! We're actually very new to this whole process but we're trying to build a support system here since we're not really sure what to expect! We moved to Illinois from Michigan about 3 years ago, where most of our family and friends are. We have really only had a consultation with the doctor and that's about it.  We  plan to use a sperm bank although we don't know which one yet. Any advice and tips are welcome! If you're in the Chicago area we'd love to try and meet up!

twomommyfamily - please add us to the first post :)

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40
#72 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Friederike: im feeling completely fine, normal. how are you my tww sister?? thanks for the QOTD! As for what I change: throughout the month I am trying to eat more protein- fish and chicken on occasion, tons of Greek yogurt and eggs. I was a vegetarian before ttc and my DP is still veggie. I try to eat as little soy as possible (for the phyto-estrogens). I stopped drinking coffee. I drink green tea, only one cup in the morning, during the follicular phase. During the tww I'm only drinking Rooibos tea (because it has no tannins and doesn't impact folic acid absorption). Other than that no big change. I haven't eaten fast food since I got food poisoning at a macdonalds in middle school.

Jam: I don't personally know any sperm banks in the Midwest area, but I'm sure someone here does. Do you have any specific criteria you want in your sperm bank? Low cost, low family limit, willing to be known donors, etc? Will you be doing ici/ivi/iui yourself at home or iui at a doctors office?

Lizbian: wow! The papers call you for a quote! How cool! I hope Britain votes in favor! My sister just moved home last week after living in England (Nottingham) for the last 3 years. She went to grad school there then stayed on to live with her professor boyfriend for a while. She got a "partnership" visa to stay that long so for a while my mom had two daughters in registered domestic partnerships.

Afm, I broke down and bought frer and tested this morning. Bfn. I do believe this is the final verdict. I think we insem'd too late. I'm going to ask about IUI 24 hours after trigger rather than 36 if they are going to have me trigger so late in my cycle. I want those follies to grow earlier in my cycle! anyways, I will be a good girl and follow RE's orders and test again on Saturday before quitting progesterone and opening the flood gates for AF. I'm actually looking forward to a sweat in the sauna this weekend at the spa. Gotta stay positive.
#73 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

Jam: Welcome! We love The Sperm Bank of California, but there are lots of great banks out there. When are you hoping to start insems?

Lizbian: Your insems are coming so soon now! I'm excited for you. orngbiggrin.gif Peas are a natural contraceptive? I had no idea!

Lovingisliving: Hooray for being in the TWW! I'm glad that you feel so good about this insem. fingersx.gif

Twomommyfamily: How are you feeling about being in the last few days of the TWW? fingersx.gif

Scorpioma: It will be interesting to get the results from your KD's semen analysis. Has he ever had one done before?

QOTD: While TTC my wife is staying off refined sugar and caffeine, and during the TWW she doesn't use her normal face wash or cream. She never drinks much alcohol or eats much fast food.

AFM: The RE phone consultation had to be postponed until next Monday, so I have more time to wonder about it. My wife had a long conversation yesterday with her chiropractor (who she sees three times a week) about what she should do to improve her fertility, and he feels like the most important thing is for her to add more fat to her diet. So we'll be working on that! He suggested we wait for a few months before we try acupuncture, but I'm not sure we're going to follow that recommendation. If we had free unlimited sperm we would certainly wait, but as it is we may want to get started sooner rather than later.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#74 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Escher: I have to ask... Why does your DP not use her usual skin care products in the tww? What is in her skin care that she is avoiding during tww?
#75 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Guess what ladies? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220 the MPs have approved the legislation for Gay Marriage!!!! Massive step forward for the UK. joy.gif

escher apparently peas are but I think you need to eat quite a few. I just have to be a bit careful as I'm veggie so also avoiding soy. I say do it with the acupuncture, it's not like it will do anything bad.

twomommy yep the press call me every time they need to interview someone gay. They've already interviewed me twice about gay marriage on TV before & wanted to film Abs & I 'walking on the beach' or 'drinking tea looking over our wedding album'. We said no!!! Good luck with the other tests,I hope it's not a BFN but if it is you've got the right attitude & it's good you're thinking about ways to increase chances.

#76 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Scorp, Enjoy the break. Have sometime with DP and yourself nd include some cocktails! All this TTC does make you want a drink sometimes lol! Cheers.

Granite, mye 1st insem was a few days after v-day...ordered the swimmers on v-day though. High hopes for a great cycle this time! Please believe I get the same feelings around babies. I think we all share that lol

Twomommy, sorry about that bfn, You seem almost like meeh after you see that, start planning the changes for the next cycle. Now you never know if the bean is a late implanter, so don't give up hope just yet.

Darcy, You're more than welcome! Hey, you're clomid was cheaper than mine, lucky! Mine was closer to $20, but still not bad. And those little things count a lot though! I've also looked into IVF, cheapest quote I got was around $12,000 for everything. Needless to say thats y I looked into a free IvF study. I'm with you on DP not going for that cost as well. Either way it goes, I hope you get a BFP asap..between you and DW :) High hopes for some nice sized follies!

Lizbian, and so begins the journey of the international travelling swim team! :) GL! Sure hope they pass the law. I happened to go one year during pride in ********** when I was visiting family, and it was such a lovely experience! I can imagine the uproar its causing though, I mean I'm Episcopalean (CofE), and I know there have been a lot of issues here in allowing same sex marriages in the Episcopal church. FX for it to pass.

Escher, Maybe if you're RE suggests clomid, you can explain your reservations, and if they're insistent on meds maybe suggest Femara. They should atleast listen to your wants seeing as you're paying them for the service. Just talk to her and see what her thoughts are.

Lovingisliving, I worked retail many years, and it sucks the life out of you like a leach on your leg in the amazon you didn't know was there! Woo on the 4 follies!!! And Good luck with your TWW!!

Jam, Welcome.gifHope you have a short and sweet stay here. Theres so much help here! You came to the right place!! You know we used Midwest Sperm bank, which is in Chicago, and they were actually the most reasonably priced..besides IDANT Laboratories. Are you planning on doing meds or unmedicated cycles? Will you be temping or charting your BBT?

Friederike, Good question. For meeh its, caffeine, alcohol, hot tubs, nd anything generally unhealthy for conception. I also try not to have any sex around the time. I try to wait atleast a few days...DP was ready that day lol.

AFM, Not too much to report...discussing options with DP, and getting into spring cleaning...its that time again!?

Meehrainbow1284.gif (25) and DPrainbow1284.gif (35) Started TTC DS/DD #1Jan12 IUI #1 2/12-BFN, IUI #2 Oct12-BFN. IUI#3-BFN Mar13-BFFN, Jan14- ???--Giving it a go at home this time with KD and fresh swimmersribbonrainbow.gif 

chartnew.gif  www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fee2806

#77 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Yay lizbian! I saw that headline earlier and was so thrilled orngbiggrin.gif

Re: the face moisturizers, I'm guessing its anything with retinoids (particularly Retin-A)?

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

#78 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM

more to write later, but just wanted to drop in to say that DW has her HSG yesterday and was a total champ!  I went along with her b/c they mentioned she may not be able to drive afterwards... which she was actually a-ok to do so.  She said it didn't hurt as bad as people say, and she didn't have any spotting after which the doctor mentioned may happen.  That's my girl!  The doctor said that he didn't see any problems during the exam, but we'll get a full report of results pretty soon.  winky.gif

me: 35 years old & my wife: 38 years old, started TTC in July 2012

#79 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Lizbian - Thank you for the support! Glad the swim team arrived safely! What did they find that would suggest pcos? I don't know anything about it. 

escher - So far so good with the clomid. The first day I had a horrible headache but I am not sure if that was due to the clomid or if I was just dehydrated from a long hike in the heat. It got so hot here in San Diego over the weekend! I'm sorry if it was written somewhere but I can't recall... why is RE going to suggest clomid? 

lovingisliving - Congrats on the well timed insem!! 

Twommommy - Sorry about the BFN. What dpo are you? It seems like you still have some time for a BFP.  RE did rec putting off the HSG because she didn't want to do both clomid and that in one cycle. I pushed her to let me and she said it was up to me but I ended up agreeing with her. We are definitely taking a break after this try so I will probably do the HSG in March. Yes, it shocked me when Meg said she would carry. It's a lot of emotions but I am glad to know it's an option for us if need be. I am really not expecting much this cycle. I am only on 50mg of clomid and I feel like it's not going to do much. I guess we will see in 1 week! 

Welcome Jamsmile.gif Hope your stay is short and sweet! We first used Pacific Reproductive because they were within driving distance (2 hours) in case we wanted to do insems there in addition to Kaiser. We also liked them because they are lesbian owned and had a lot of WTBK donors. We have run out of money and they have increased their family limit so we switched to The Sperm Bank of California - lower cost, lower family limit but less of a selection. One of their phone counselors hates me because RE is being a pain about signing one of their forms but other than that they have been great. 

lea2012 - Thank you. DW really does not want to go to therapy so we have spent the last few days making time for discussions about all of this. It has been going pretty well but I told her we might need to go if things don't improve. 

Friederike - Good question! DW would laugh if I typed out my whole list  of what I have "given up" but here are the big things. No regular deodorant, no sushi, no alcohol, no caffeine, no HFCS and no swimming. I have also completely changed my skincare regime, makeup, haircare, don't use plastics, only stainless steel cookware and special laundry soap. I also stopped buying food with more than 5 ingredients. DW is on board but it's hard when we go over to other peoples homes and if we go out to restaurants. 

scorpioma - Good luck with KD semen analysis! 

fmorris - Thank you! We will be starting our spring cleaning, too. 

San Diego - Glad the HSG went well!! Are you enjoying the chilly weather today? 

AFM - We are in the process of switching sperm banks and our top guy just sold out again until April! They are having problems with my registration info so there has just been one delay after the other. Ugh! Oh well.  DW has been really helpful with the paperwork aspect which is a relief. Also, my horoscope said that I would probably stop trying to have a baby until July. Weird, right? Haha. If this month doesn't pan out we will be taking a break until the summer. I am hoping DW will start charting so we can have a few months record before she starts trying. I think I will try July, August, & September and then switch to her. I don't think we can afford the more intensive interventions like injectables and IVF. 

me (35) married to dw (28)
TTC#1 with frozen swimmers 
IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #7 Jan 2013 BFP finally but the bean didn't stick
IUI #8 TBD
#80 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM

SanDiego - FX for open tubes! 

TwoMommy - I am still hoping and crossing fingers for ya. Having only done one cycle thus far I don't think I fully understood  exactly how not being successful would feel. It is lovely to have folks here pulling for you. So here is my tossing positivity into the ring for ya goodvibes.gif 

Jam - joy.gif Welcome! I just joined up last month. This is truly a loving and supportive group of folks. There is a lot of knowledge and information among this bunch!  Good luck to you and may your stay be brief!

Liz- What wonderful news! DW and I are very hopeful and excited that soon the gay marriage issue will no longer be an issue this side of the pond in the near future. Admittedly, I am not knowledgeable of British geography and politics so I had to google (it is a verb now)  Guernsey. The politics sounds very complicated (Guernsey in relation to the UK). Hopefully the "permission" of gay marriage will spill over onto your island soon! 

Friederike - Still got the positivity for you as well! goodvibes.gif Any symptoms or gut feelings? 

Granite - Good luck upcoming! I have my eyes on a potential Valentines day insem as well. I've honestly never been fond of VD but this could change my mind. DW utilized acupuncture to help regulate her cycles. I used it after insem for help with implantation and am still using it to gear up for the next round plus some other issues (Knee pain, sinus problems etc) We both recommend it.

AFM, 

I went to the RE tonight for an US on CD4. I have follies in both ovaries and no cysts that are of a size to interfere with ovulation. I will re-start letrozole (slightly higher dose this time) . It seems my RE is impressed with the number of follies I am producing (Keep in mind I am 42 yr old)  she was excited to think I might ripen 5-7 eggs this cycle. I really am not looking forward to the O pain with that many eggs launching.  I have already set up a pre O US on the 13th. Hopefully that means a trigger early on the 14th and insem on the 15th. 

About my dad...He has been very sweet through this. I truly hope he gets to be a grandpa and enjoy it. He is young (67) and developing dementia. He has been doing well of late but we have just come through about 2 years of him being pretty checked out. I hope he keeps on the high side for a long while but we have been told by his neurologist his disease process is very unpredictable. We will take what we get and call it a blessing.

QOTD - I have given up gluten and adhere to a low carb diet. I eat a lot of eggs (we have our own organic chickens) and good fats. I have generally given up alcohol although I enjoyed a beer tonight (yes I know it has gluten) as I am still entertaining AF. This will be the last until the next AF or the baby is born. Coffee is out and decaf tea is in. Although now that I know it can interfere with folic acid absorption I will probably switch to roobios tea until we know more about our pregnancy status. I have also given up the cat box. This is actually a joke as DW is usually the one who tends to that. I just know she will read the post and get a laugh. lol.gif

Me-F-44 +  Wife-33 + + X 3 +  X2
#81 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM

KWXP, hurrah for great follies, and a number of them to boot! I'm sorry about your father's dementia: That really sucks, especially with him being only in his 60s. Looking forward to seeing what next week's u/s shows, and sharing the TWW with you!

So crappy about the delays from the bank, Darcy! I love the idea of not eating foods with more than 5 ingredients... Hmmm, now I'm analyzing all that I ate today... Yep, I think I'd do pretty well in general on that diet, though I do have a weakness for the occasional chocolate treat (and not always the fancy, few-ingredient stuff!).

Yay for a great HSG, SanDiego! FX for open tubes...

Spring cleaning is well-underway at my place, fmorris: The focus right now is on clothes, and getting rid of all the ones that don't make us feel awesome. It's harder than it sounds, especially when something's in great shape but just not particularly flattering! What are you focusing on? Or is it a general household scrub-down?

Thrilled to hear about the marriage news in the U.K., lizbian! And wondering about your potential PCOS diagnosis: Was it "string of pearls" on the ultrasound, from too many ripening follicles?

Sorry to hear about you having to wait even longer to chat with the RE, escher. What kind of fats did the chiropractor suggest to add to your wife's diet?

I've still got my FX for you, twomommyfamily! That BFN isn't definitive yet!

Welcome, jam51212! I hope your stay here is short and sweet.

I'm glad that so many of you are already getting or looking into acupuncture... I think it can make a huge impact on fertility!

AFM: Oh wow, I totally smashed the tip of my index finger at work today, and typing this is *so* slow and painful, it's ridiculous. Like, how can one finger hurt so much?! But that's all I have to report from my small island city... Looking forward to Saturday's u/s, and stalking all your FF charts!

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#82 of 319 Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Good fats for pregnancy are things like avocados and coconut oil. The concept of eating foods with no more than five ingredients is intriguing, but we eat a lot of curry (yay for living in Vancouver) which has a dozen ingredients! One of my coworkers got her hands on a medical textbook from1953 and has been gleefully posting bits and pieces, and one of the recommendations was to never eat a food that was advertised. How absolutely perfect is that???

I ovulated yesterday, right on schedule. So frustrating to know that my cycles are *perfect* and we're not actively TTC. Having fantasies about trying with our KD without DW knowing, but that would be an epic recipe for disaster!! But it's fun to dream.... smile.gif

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#83 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 AM

SanDiego - great to hear that the HSG went so well. I read that you're extra fertile after doing the procedure, so fingers x for your next try.

Darcy - wow you've changed a lot of things and it is all so healthy. I applaud you for sticking with it, it will be great that you're already used to a super healthy lifestyle once you or DP are pregnant and later when you have a child. I am sorry to hear that the best guy is sold out, but perhaps it won't matter at all because this month already worked and instead of a break you'll have a baby on the way winky.gif.

Liz - what great news about the British vote! I was so excited to hear about it. It is a great signal even beyond Britain, because unlike France right now, it happend under a conservative PM. Those countries in Europe that have complete equal rights were all social-democrat/left-wing governed. If the conservative right supports us now too, there really is no stopping the political change. I wish Germanys chancellor would take this example, here the conservative and liberal party coalition voted against full equality again, just a couple of months ago.

KWPX - 5-7 eggs, oh my, that is a lot... one of them has to work, right?

fmorris, Granite - spring cleaning? I am jealous; we just had another snow storm overnight. I wish it was warm and I could start cleaning and start planting the balcony. I did find a 50€ bill under our couch though today when vacuuming, so maybe even a boring old winter cleaning has its benefits. Hope your smashed finger heals up quickly Granite!

Darthtunaqueen - I've had those fantasies as well. It is so frustrating to wait if you could be trying. But good to know, your body is doing excactly what it should be.

Also, I think the 5 ingredient rule doesn't mean 5 ingredients in a receipe, but what is in a single food product. Like the supermarket cheese that has a 10 item ingredient list or breads with lots of sugar and food dye or artificial drinks and such. Home made curry with tons of different veggies and spices sounds delicous! The recommendation to never eat an advertised food is also hillarious. Our local water plant advertises the high quality of our tap water, which we drink exclusively especially as we are car-free and live on the 4th floor without an elevator so I am not going to drag any bottled drinks up there ever. If I followed that rule I would have to die of thirst.

#84 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi Everyone,

Twomommyfamily: My wife usually uses a face wash that contains salicylic acid and a face cream that contains benzoyl peroxide, and since neither of those are recommended for pregnancy she is choosing not to use them during the TWW each cycle.

Lizibian: Hooray for gay marriage! joy.gif We're veggie too, and we don't tend to eat a lot of soy, but we haven't been 100% avoiding it. What have you heard that makes you avoid it completely?

Fmorris: It's impressive that you're getting into spring cleaning already!

SanDiego: It's great that the HSG went so smoothly!

Darcy: I'm glad that the clomid is treating you well so far. I don't really know for sure that our RE will suggest clomid, but she generally likes people to use clomid if their cycles aren't super regular, and since my wife didn't ovulate this cycle (or at least not when we expected her to ovulate), my guess is that the RE will feel like clomid is the answer. I think clomid can be a great drug, but since we really don't want twins we're trying to avoid it for now. It's funny that your horoscope had advice on when you should get pregnant!

KWPX2: It's impressive that you might produce 5-7 eggs. And how cool that you have your own chickens!

Granite: I'm sorry that your finger hurts! I think the chiropractor suggested nuts, avocado, coconut, olive oil, and full-fat yogurt.

Darthtunaqueen: Not eating any food that is advertised is perfect advice. I'm sorry that you're not actively trying right now, but hooray for perfect cycles!

Hi, Friederike!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#85 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Granite: sorry about your finger injury! I hope it heals quick!

Kwpx: wow!! 5-7 eggs! This could definitely be your month! Also thanks for the well wishes. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that this cycle didn't work. It's okay. Hopefully next time! Also I'm sorry to hear about your fathers early onset dementia. I hope that the progress remains slow.

Darcy: I'm so hopeful for your ultrasound next week! I hope it shows that the clomid worked and you have big healthy follies. In the meantime good luck with the bank! Sounds frustrating!

San Diego: I'm glad your DW's HSG went well!

Fmorris: thanks for the positive thoughts! I'm oddly okay with the BFN. We didn't really expect it to work our first try.

Lizbian: how incredible that same sex marriage is legal in the UK!! I hope our Supreme Court rules in our favor in the upcoming cases.

Afm, 13dpiui. Waiting until Saturday to test the last time. I got a call from CCB yesterday though. Per the request of another client at CCB, my donor was tested to see if he is a carrier for a rare genetic condition and it turns out that he is. Donors are never typically screened for this (galactosemia) because of its very low prevalence in the population. They are screened for many, more common, genetic conditions. So if I am also a carrier for galactosemia, and I conceive with his sperm then the baby has a 50-50 chance of having it and its very bad. If we switch donors, no other donor has been screened for this and I would have to pay for the screening. So now I have to present this info to my doctor and see if my insurance will cover my screening because I definitely do not want to risk it. What an unexpected complication!!
#86 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Amanda (34) and my partner is Sophie (31). We've been together 6 years and have been trying to start a family for 4 years. We live in New Zealand. We waited a long time for a clinic recruited donor and started treatment in October 2011. This is how is has gone so far:

October 2011 - 1st IUI cancelled because I didn't ovulate

January 2012 - 2nd IUI cancelled because on 50 of clomid I had too many follicles

February 2012 - 3rd IUI BFN (25 clomid)

March 2012 - 4th IUI BFN (25 clomid)

April 2012 - 5th IUI BFN (25 clomid)

May 2012 - 6th IUI BFN (25 clomid)

June 2012 - Tubes test - all clear

July 2012 - 7th IUI BFN

September 2012 - 1st IVF (3 blasts created) hemorrhaged after egg retrieval and had to have emergency surgery. Transferred 1 blast, BFN

January 2013 - Frozen transfer, BFN

So at this point we are in $35,000 of debt and feeling very hopeless. I'm hoping to find other lesbians who have had as rough a road as we have. Coming up we'll transfer our last blast in March and start our 2nd fresh IVF cycle in May which is a government funded one, which is just as well because we can't afford to keep going.

#87 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Darcy, Welcome. Crazy it's already that time again! Hate that your pick sold out, guess he wa pretty popular. You know I read mye horoscope just about everyday and am soo surprised sometimes how its spot on. I hope that your new plan proves successful!

KWPX2, How awesome to have follies on both sides! Great job ovaries! lol I took letrozole last cycle. Can't say anything bad of it either. Just wanted more follies with it..I only had 1 mature, clomid I had 3! Love that you have your own chickens, i'd love some, but have a feeling the large population of cats around meeh wouldn't be so friendly lol. They're pretty brutal! One of them got a squirrel and left it oh so sweetly for meeh outside mye door! Looks like you've got a plan down as far as diet and all..for meeh thats one of the hardest parts, bc theres so many tempting things! GL!

Granite, Clothes are a HUGE part of mye spring cleaning. I like to go area by area. Start with the kitchen and then move room by room. I will clean out each area COMPLETELY so it sometimes takes a day or two to do a certain area. I'm sorting through mye clothes to donate to the battered women & childrens shelter by mye house. I've got a lot of clothes in great condition they could use! But the house will be scrubbed down as well :) Are you better cleaning on your own or does DP help? I have to send DP out of the house for some reason lol..i think she might mess up mye cleaning flow! I like it done MYE WAY lol. Hugs for your finger nd hope it feels better!

Darthunaqueen, I know the feeling, knowing your cycle is doing what it should be (for once) and you're sitting on the bench...no worries, we'll be back in the game soon enough! And you're right, it might be a slight epic disaster in trying with your KD without DW knowing!

Friederike, More snow?! I can only imagine. I talked to mye Nan and she's in the West Midlands in England and she was telling meeh she hadn't left her flat in 2 weeks due to all the snow! Its actually been crazy here, one day it was 45 and today its nearly 70...mye wardrobe is so confused! LOL Look on the bright side 50 euros and you didn't even know it was there! Love when that happens!!

Escher, I try and stay on top of it because it sure can get out of control when you work a ton and when you get home you just want to sit! Hope all is well with you!

Twomommy, Glad you appreciated it! I've got to send communications to mye team at work and I put inspirational quotes in there, and apparently the guy over meeh didn't like them and asked for them not to be in there. Sorry for trying to motivate the team so thanks for appreciating once again lol! Glad that you found that info out on your donor though. It seems almost similar to sickle cell anaemia. Usually one parent is a carrier of the trait, but if two people that have it conceive a child that child WILL have sickle cell anaemia, but if only one parent has it they will just have the trait and won't have to experience the hardship of the disease. Hope you get everything figured out!

Amanda, Welcome.gif I see you've had a rough time, but you've come to the right place for support, advice, and anything else you need. This is a great community. We share a lot of tips and tricks for TTC as well. Glad you found a government funded IVF cycle, thats awesome, mye primary insurance covers nothing for IVF :( Hope your stay is short and sweet!

AFM, doing more research on things to improve chances during TTC. Needless to say, there are a ton of resources! I did look into the acupuncuture. I did find one so far, initial visit is $120 and each one subsequently after is $70 with a $10 discount for cash or check. What are the prices you ladies have paid, if you don't mind sharing? Not sure if that's high or normal.

Meehrainbow1284.gif (25) and DPrainbow1284.gif (35) Started TTC DS/DD #1Jan12 IUI #1 2/12-BFN, IUI #2 Oct12-BFN. IUI#3-BFN Mar13-BFFN, Jan14- ???--Giving it a go at home this time with KD and fresh swimmersribbonrainbow.gif 

chartnew.gif  www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fee2806

#88 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM

fmorris yes the CoE are exempt from having the law applied to them - typical! Churches will be able to opt in/out as they want so I suspect in reality it's not going to make a massive difference in practical terms. I'm there with you re spring cleaning - I'm also having a massive clearout trying to get ready for moving. It's quite exciting looking at houses where we're going to start the new phase of our life with a little one, having to think of things like school catchment areas which we've never had to do .

sandiego yay for the DW - did you reward her? 2whistle.gif hope the results are all good for you.

darcy so many frustrations for you! Is there another good donor you can use? Probably good for DW to start charting & lovely she's willing to move forward her timetable if needed. That's a supportive DW!!! Re the polys. Some of the blood tests have been borderline for PCOS re hormone levels. My ultrasound had one enlarged ovary & a few follicles, almost like a half string of pearls. Again indicative rather than a definative sign of PCOS so I'm not sure what other tests they'll have to try to determine. I think it might just come down to symptoms rather than being able to tell one way or another.

kwpx yeah it's exciting for the UK. Guernsey is a separately governed island so they need to pass their own laws. A new 'States' (their word for government) came into power at the end of last year. They're trying to raise the issue of Gay Marriage but it's still a long way off. Unfortunately even if we get married (which should come in 2014 in the UK) they still won't recognise it in Guernsey. Good job on the follies, glad things are going along well at the moment. Sorry to hear about your dad, it's nice he's so supportive and I hope for both of you he's a grandad soon. I'm with you on the kitty litter thing - I'm glad my cat now goes to the toilet outside, especially as the dogs like to eat it!  grossedout.gif

granite kind of a half string -5 or 6 which isn't loads but more than there should be. Other ovary seems fine. Good luck for u/s on Saturday! ouch to finger!

friederike yep it's a great step forward. Unlike Australia who won't even entertain the idea of a 'vote of conscience' as to whether they should bring Gay Marriage (or civil partnerships) up as a potential law change. Soooo frustrating!

escher we don't avoid it completely - just trying to reduce around the time we're insemming as I've heard sometimes it can slow things down a bit but it's not proven - thought that if it didn't make much of a difference it would be worth doing if possible.

twomommy wow that is an unexpected complication but good you know about it now, right? The law will come in next year which is actually not as long as I thought so maybe have to plan a wedding when babies are old enough to take part? dreams for the future...

twomummiesnz yay! Glad you've joined. Ladies, she's had such a hard time of it lately thought it would be good for her to get some good support from you wonderful people.

Welcome.gif

pafm DW is getting a cold. I've told her to STAY AWAY as I don't want to be sick for my first insem! grrrrr. Other than that all good, the flat we own has gone on the market today so hopefully we can sell it soon & will have money for any IVF. Yippee!!! joy.gif Ps if any of you ever want to know about Guernsey read the 'Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society' written about WW2 in Guernsey by an American. I am in the process of writing a lesbian based book in the same time period so hopefully it'll get published sooner or later.

#89 of 319 Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

KWPX - That is such a great number of follicles! Love the cat box mention - DW is in charge of it and has always been but now it's official that I am not doing it. 

Granite- Hope your finger is feeling better. Ouch! Such a sensitive area. Much luck to you on Saturday!

Friederike - Thank you and you are right about the 5 ingredient thing. That's exactly what I meant. I got inspired from the blog 100 days of real food. They are a great resource for eating simply. 

escher - Thanks! I am loving the clomid so far. I just hope it helps!! And yes, my RE had me sign a form saying that their was a 10% chance of twins. 

Twomommmy - I am so glad your bank contacted you regarding the donor and will be curious to see what your doc says. FX for you testing on Saturday! 

Welcome Amanda - I am so sorry this has been such a long and costly process for you. I hope you get some good news in March. 

fmorris - I just started looking into acupuncture and found two community places that have a sliding scale. The initial visit is around 40 and then it's between 15-45 for every other visit depending on your income. 

lizbian - Thanks for explaining all of that and yes we have chosen two other donors but I am still not sold on them. I will keep checking to see if anyone else that we have on our list releases any vials but in the meantime would anyone here be interested in looking at our two options and weighing in? If so, PM me and I will send you the link to their profiles. I am concerned about health history for one and for the other it would just not look anything like my DW or myself which is something we were trying to match up at least with hair/eye color. Much luck to you on selling your home and I hope DW feels better soon. 

AFM - Has anyone here who has taken clomid noticed a difference in cervical mucus? I am only on CD8 and starting to notice changes which is freaking me out just a little. Would it be possible to ovulate a whole week sooner while taking clomid? I am not due to see RE until Tuesday CD14 because I usually surge CD19-23. 

Thanks everyone! 

me (35) married to dw (28)
TTC#1 with frozen swimmers 
IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #7 Jan 2013 BFP finally but the bean didn't stick
IUI #8 TBD
#90 of 319 Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Okay, guys, I've gotta talk about this - I have been feeling nauseaous several times over the last two days and had lower back pain both last night and this morning. Only 10DPO, so I won't test until at least 2 more days but it is a really strange feeling. I don't expect to be preggo because timing wasn't that ideal and it was only the second try, though of course I can't help but wonder. argh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page