Known Donor HIV Testing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you use a known donor without the help of a clinic? If so, did you make him test for HIV more than once?

We know that the window period for HIV can be up to six months, depending on the test, so how do you deal with that?

Our KD is gay and single and gets HIV tests regularly. We'd love to hear about other people's experiences. How long did you wait to start insemination after a negative HIV test?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 of 3 Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM

We used two different KD's who are both gay (and married)  Our first KD, took and HIV test right before we tried but did not have any unprotected sex outside of his partner for months prior to that. And I know people often lie about stuff like that but I trust him implicitly.  For his partner, I am going to actually say that we never did a current HIV test but I knew he had taken one previously and same thing that there was no exposure to anything that could have changed this for years.   We were lucky though, the first time we conceived on our first try and the second within four months.  taking multiple tests can be helpful but here is the real thing. . even if you waited 6 months after the first HIV test, unless your KD was celibate for 6 months, waiting doesn't really help.  I would say what helps most is just keeping really honest communication which can be hard but to just ask him to tell you if any thing risky happens to him (by intent or accident).   

Oh, and good luck!  

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

We did the same as cordelia said. He took a test once, we got the neg results before trying. He was very understanding and willing to do this! He had only been  with his partner for the past couple of years and we trusted that they would be honest about that.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page