Anyone give birth in DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I was a little more active on this Board a while back while TTC but became more reclusive after experiencing several losses.  After a very long journey, it looks as if we may have one that is sticking.  I am at 21 weeks today and praying that things continue to go well. 

Given our situation and the state in which we live, our lawyer has advised us to try to have the baby in DC where we can both be listed on the birth certificate. My age and history of losses risk me out of a midwife/ birth center, so I am looking for OB and hospital recommendations and any other guidance folks in the area might have. 

Please feel free to respond directly or PM me. Many thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!!

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

#2 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Hi alphahen,

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say congratulations on being pregnant and at 21 weeks!  I've seen your name in the forums, but I wasn't here when you were around.  I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes by healthfully and peacefully.

Pokey

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I don't have much advice on OBs in DC (we used a homebirth midwife for our son and we're deciding between homebirth and the GW midwives for the next birth), but I wanted to respond. I'm not sure if there are any other DC people currently active on Queer Parenting. Have you also asked on the Maryland, Metro DC, Delaware forum? Good luck!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM

If you haven't already checked in out, you might try this board

http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/list.page

It's definitely not crunchy, and sometimes mean, but they have a lot of reviews of DC providers.  Many DC people seem to like Wisdom Midwifery at GW, but I don't know if you would be able to get in there this late in your pregnancy. 

I'm assuming you could also do Maryland for the birth certificate?  Although obviously you won't want to travel too far.

Good luck!

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#5 of 8 Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM

I agree that DCUM is useful, if often mean-spirited and ridiculously gossipy.

I just heard from a friend that Washington Hospital Center has some OBs who are very natural birth friendly. You may want to contact the midwives at Family Health and Birth Center and ask them for an OB recommendation, since they work closely with the OBs at Washington Hospital Center.

Good luck!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#6 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations.  I checked the DCUM Board and it is certainly is a wealth of information (although I also see what you mean about mean-spiritedness).  I look forward to checking into all of the resources you mentioned further.  

I also joined Rainbow families as another way of trying to access LGBT resources in the area.  I would be interested in your thoughts on this resource. 

Many many thanks again for your help!

Mad about DP with dog2.gif dog2.gifcanine children.

Proud auntie to 8 nieces and nephews.

TTC #1 since October 2010. 

#7 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Rainbow Families is a great resource. They don't have a whole lot of activities for babies (although there is a baby/toddler playgroup that meets in NW DC, so maybe there is also one that meets in Virginia), but the discussions on the list are often interesting.

#8 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Hi!  My son was born in DC while we lived in VA.  We accepted the fact that VA would probably never recognize our family status, and headed to DC instead.  We chose to use Sibley hospital, and found an OB practice in Falls Church, VA that delivered at Sibley.  It is totally do-able to give birth in DC if you are in NOVA.  At the time (2007), they didn't have parent 1 and parent 2 birth certificates, but now they do.  We have an amended one that lists both of us.  And here is a link my friend (also a VA resi/DC birth) posted on FB yesterday.  Good luck!

http://www.livesaymyers.com/dc-parentage-act-amendment/

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page