Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April, May & June 2013! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 601 Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Wow.  I am out of the loop!

Congrats to spashing ... that was one heck of a precipitous labour!  If you have another, you'll need to be prepared to have that baby just about anywhere! 

Congrats to Knitting too!  How are you settling in?  How is O adjusting?

As for everyone else who I have missed ... hello! 

QOTD:

I get mother's day and DP gets 'fathers' day (Esmé calls is Babas Day, and DP likes to refer to it as Alternative Parent Celebration Day).  

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#302 of 601 Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

starling - May I ask your DP's gender identity?

I find it so interesting to hear everyone's different responses to the QOTD. Neither DW nor I grew up with large family celebrations around Mother's day or Father's day, but we did have small traditions of doing something to make the applicable parent feel special - cooking their favorite meal, alleviating them of routine chore, etc. DW wants us each to have our own "days" when we become parents, and has volunteered to take Father's day as her day (and rename it somehow), mostly because she loves sports and Father's day coincides with the annual US Open for professional golf. She identifies as a woman and I don't like it when people assume that because I cook and she mows the lawn that somehow she is the "guy" in the relationship and I'm the "girl". I like Ellen DeGeneres's quote of "asking which person in a lesbian relationship is the 'guy' is like asking which chopstick is the 'fork'." I'm feeling a little guilty about DW getting "stuck" with Father's day and a little worried that it will further promote people viewing her with this stereotype. I'm just wondering if anyone else has BTDT and can provide some advice.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#303 of 601 Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Sphinxy ... DP is genderqueer, and is uber butch.  I'm femme.  I think we could've picked any day to celebrate her as a parent, but she's pretty darn close to being our children's dad, so father's day seemed like a good fit.  You could also have one of you do the UK or Mexican or wherever-you-connect-with Mother's Day?  Or you could alternate years?  Or you could have mother's weekend ... and one of you have Saturday and one of you have Sunday.  Most of the school-going kids of two moms I know celebrate both on the same day, being that they make crafts/cards at school for their moms.  

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#304 of 601 Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 PM

sphinxy, that is an interesting thought. my dw is butch & i'm femme, but she does 99% of the cooking (we would literally starve if it was my job) and i mow the lawn and do garden chores. maybe father's day should be MY day! (that would confuse people...) Ellen's chopstick quote makes me smile, too. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#305 of 601 Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post
I am also looking foward to sleeping in the King sized bed.

Oh, a king sized bed. How I miss ours!! Ours is still at our townhouse (on the market for a week btw...one offer but they pulled out) so we're still in a queen sized bed and I'm hating it. DD is a bit of a kicker and with my rapidly expanding uterus and achy hips and crampy legs I'm not happy most nights. I think we may have to move our bed over here early if our place doesn't sell in the next few weeks.

Speaking of fitting in the bed...has anyone ever side-carred a co-sleeper or crib to an Ikea malm frame? I'm worried about not having enough room for all 4 of us even in a king sized bed....I'm hoping once DD's bed is moved over she'll be back in her own bed but we're not counting on it.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#306 of 601 Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM

Splashing--Congratulations!!!! That sounds amazing. I am interested in the hypnobabies techniques...are there any free resources about that? I thought I had a book about it but haven't been able to find it. They have a class here in Eugene but it is way out of my price range.

QOTD--We celebrate Mother's Day together. Same day. Our girls do something for both of us, and we each help them to make sure they have something planned for the other. All we do for Father's Day is for their grandpapa. We'll usually go out to eat with him and their grandma, and give him cards. Sometimes our younger daughter does a father's day project at school, and she will usually give it to one of us...her teachers know she doesn't have a dad in her life, and she probably isn't the only one, so they always say you can make the project for any adult you appreciate in your life. As far as Mother's Day crafts at school, she usually is able to make one for each of us. If not, she makes up for it with a craft at home.

AFM--I found out the policy about the strep b test at our birthing center, and I am not so worried about it anymore. I still hope to test negative bc I don't want IV antibiotics, but whatever happens, happens. If I did test positive, I would still give birth at the birthing center. They would give me a dose of IV antibiotics, but I wouldn't be hooked up to it for long. Instead of staying only 4 hours after birth, we would stay 12 hours. I can handle all of that. They are also super flexible about the Vit K shot and antibiotic eye drops they offer--not pushy at all. I feel relieved having all these questions answered! Now we need to pick a pediatrician. Our midwife shook her finger at us for not having one yet! We are also doing a birthing class, which has been pretty cool. We are the only queer couple, which is mostly fine and everyone is nice, but it was a little awkward for my wife when she and the dads all had to sit together and talk separately. She outshined them all, though, I told her the other moms in the class must've been envious!! :)

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#307 of 601 Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

Splashing: Congratulations! What a fast labor!

MrsandMrs: I'm so glad that the second trimester is so fantastic for you! A dozen more babies would take a long time if you only do two at a time. Might you consider quintuplets to speed up the process? orngtongue.gif Hooray for free bees!

Pokey: It sounds like you had a very productive weekend. I remember at the end of the pregnancy with our son thinking about how crazy it was that my life was about to totally change and I had no idea what it would be like. The great thing is that (at least in my experience) your life is going to change a lot, but almost all in ways that make it more wonderful and delightful, and that you'll still be able to hold onto the pieces of your life now that are important to you.

Easttowest: Your baby shower sounds great. Did everyone bring books?

QOTD: We both strongly identify as mothers, so we both celebrate on Mothers' Day. But we don't really do a whole lot to celebrate since neither of us care much about the day. We send cards to grandmothers for Mothers' Day and to grandfathers for Fathers' Day.

Wishin: I hope your little one arrives soon!

Sotohana: I'm sorry that your family isn't including your wife as much as they should. I hope that soon they are more able to realize that you are both going to be moms. Family dynamics can be so hard sometimes.

Outdoorsy: What kind of birth classes are you doing?

Carmen: WOW on more or less third trimester!

AFM: We did the blood draw for the materniT21 test today, so we should have those results in a few weeks. fingersx.gif It's amazing to me that we're just a few weeks away from the second trimester.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#308 of 601 Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Carmen ... With one of the properties that we've sold we staged a bed with a air mattress, nicely dressed to look like a comfy queen sized bed.  You could get the mattress over to your new place and then use an air mattress and the linens to dress the bed at your old place.  Good luck!  

ps.  Do you have a sell charm in your old place?  If not, excuse the woo-woo factor and DO IT.  Write out the price you want, in an appreciation statement for your old place.  As in:  "We have been so happy here in the home where S was born, and now it is time to bring joy to our new family home.  We are so grateful that our condo sold for $___________, and in such a short time."  And then tuck it somewhere central.  

#309 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM

No baby yet, just a wife who puked a good chunk of the night.  We'll be walking soon...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#310 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Carmen ... With one of the properties that we've sold we staged a bed with a air mattress, nicely dressed to look like a comfy queen sized bed.  You could get the mattress over to your new place and then use an air mattress and the linens to dress the bed at your old place.  Good luck!  

ps.  Do you have a sell charm in your old place?  If not, excuse the woo-woo factor and DO IT.  Write out the price you want, in an appreciation statement for your old place.  As in:  "We have been so happy here in the home where S was born, and now it is time to bring joy to our new family home.  We are so grateful that our condo sold for $___________, and in such a short time."  And then tuck it somewhere central.  

That's not a bad idea...if it takes too long we may do that. However, it's a latex mattress and HEAVY so we'll likely have to rent a van.

I'm going over to put a "charm" today :) What a wonderful idea. We do have our listing printed out and laid beside our butsudan but it's in our new house. We've had several 2nd private showings so I'm hoping it won't take too long!

I'm off for my 2 (or is it 3) hour GD test this morning...I'm already starving! Wish me luck!

#311 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Good luck, Carmen!

wishin'-I'm sorry your wife is feeling pukey and crappy.  I hope things get moving soon.  goodvibes.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#312 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Wishin: It sounds like things are getting close to really happening. Good luck convincing the baby that it is time to come out!

Carmen: Good luck with the GD test! fingersx.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#313 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Hey guys - our fam entered this contest if you have time to 'like' it :) I don't know if it matters to how they choose, but appreciate you checking it out anyways. It is a rare family pic where everyone is looking at the camera :) http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1382508/let-mothering-and-boba-pamper-you-this-mothers-day/20

(we are #36 a bit down the page)

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#314 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Coco:  We did the home study course for hypnobabies that can be purchased off their website.  If you enter the coupon code hypnomp3 it will give you 50% off the price listed, which might make it a bit more reasonably priced.  Still, I know its expensive.  My first labour was 25 hours, and I think I screamed through the last 8 hours or so, and I was in A LOT of pain for the last 15 hours. This second time, I knew that I really needed some more techniques. 

Our littlest one is now 8 days old. It is such an amazing time!  We have finally figured out breast-feeding again. It was so painful the second time around, which completely surprised me, since I am still breast-feeding our 3-year old.  I am loving how much more relaxed I am this time, especially around sleep. I was so anxious that I barely slept after my first daughter's birth. I was always checking to make sure she was still breathing.  

#315 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Splashing ... Any chance of a tongue-tie?  

Wishin ... Puking was the precursor to labour both time!  Sending most excellent birth vibes your way!  xoxoxo dust.gif

Shameless self-promotion:

Our family is in the contest too, if anyone cares to go over and like our post too, along with onemommy's.  One can always use another carrier!

We're #41, I think. 

Carmen ... Oh!  A latex mattress ... where did you get it?  Our crappy IKEA king is just not holding up.  It sags in all the wrong places (kind of like my boobs and belly post-babies) and the slats keep falling out, resulting in a cavernous droop towards the floor.  

#316 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Splashing, is nursing going well now? I also had the experience of my second (and third and fourth!) having a harder time nursing.

Omom and Starling, I voted.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#317 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM

No baby yet...DW still having relatively uncomfortable surges (aka contractions) every 10-12 minutes...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#318 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Oh my goodness, wishin', hope that baby comes soon and that the birth goes smoothly! It will all be worth it once the babe is here nod.gif

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#319 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Carmen ... Oh!  A latex mattress ... where did you get it?  Our crappy IKEA king is just not holding up.  It sags in all the wrong places (kind of like my boobs and belly post-babies) and the slats keep falling out, resulting in a cavernous droop towards the floor.  

Hmmm ours is from Ikea too - the natural one, I think they have several kinds maybe? It was about 1200.00 I think. It's awesome and we've never had a problem with sagging or slats falling out. Maybe they changed the design?

#320 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks, SplashingPuddle. Unfortunately 70$ is still out of my price range at the moment :/ We have a dog that needs surgery and also found out we have to move! Looking for a new home when the baby is due in ONE month is very stressful. Oy. I did download the two free mp3s, but so far the first one seems to just be convincing me that I should do hypnobirthing. Maybe the second one will be helpful.

Please wish us luck finding a new home!!! I have been trying to remain calm and centered and grounded throughout all this, but not knowing where we are going to live or when exactly we are going to move, not knowing where we'll be when baby Amadora is coming, well, it feels unstable sometimes and I struggle with feelings of anxiety and panic and sadness about it.

#321 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All!

Carmen and starling, we're looking at getting a king size "ZedBed" from Sears... Though I'm very interested in the natural latex one from Ikea too (but we don't want to just order it without touching it first, so now it's a question of getting both DP and I over to the mainland at the same time). How long have you had yours, Carmen?

Fx for you and yours, wishin'!

Thank you for the info re: hypnobabies, Splashing, and congrats on your new little one and a great birth! I think I'm going to do the home study program too; I'd previously looked into a local certified birth hypnotist who does 6 sessions and provides a CD for $300, but the study program sounds a bit more involved... Which I like, nerd that I am! Good luck with the breastfeeding!

I hope the GD test went well, Carmen... Will you know the results right away? I hope the selling-charm works for you; love that idea and have used a similar version many times to find the perfect rental housing.

Wow, escher, your posts always remind me how quickly my own pregnancy is progressing! Good luck with the screening. I'm not exactly sure what genetic testing it is that we had done (already a lackadaisical parents and the wee bairn isn't even here yet!), but I know I asked for them to check for neural tube defects as we've had a few family members with spina bifida; I'm not particularly anxious about it though, because as others have already said, I know I'll at least feel better knowing sooner rather than later.

Coco, it sounds like your birth centre is great! I'm curious, how come you need to get a doctor for the baby? Couldn't she just see the same doctor as the rest of your family?

Mrsandmrs, your description of the twins just melts my heart... Awwwwww! Makes me wish my own little one didn't hafta wait a few years for a sibling. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to stop in and meet you and bigfoot while I was passing through Oly this past week, but I'm sure we'll make it happen soon!

soto, your story of what your dad makes me mad... And then I realized that all this past week, while DP and I were traveling with my dad and stepmom, my dad did pretty much the same thing: He kept remarking in a tone of wonder on the fact that I was soon to be a mother, while saying nothing about the fact that DP is also about to become a parent. I just asked her about it, if she noticed or if it bothered her, and her response was, "No, not really... And it's probably just that he doesn't doubt my ability to parent, whereas he's a bit more skeptical when it comes to you." Then I threw a teatowel at her head. In other news, I wish I'd had time to meet you for tea when I was in your neck of the woods this past week! Thank you for the invite. As it was, I had a very busy trip, and just loved it... Will definitely be back sometime!

Sphinxy, I'm not feeling movement yet either, and am almost 15 weeks. Sometime I think I feel something, but then it always turns out to be gas eyesroll.gif

AFM: I basically ate my way around Portland (OR) for the last 6 days, and it was fantastic. Even better was that fact that DP and I were never the queerest thing around, no matter where we went! And she had no bathroom hassles, anywhere, which made it a total dream vacation spot, by our family's criteria. My dad and stepmom, who'd never been there, loved it too. I'm sure life in PDX isn't without its problems, but we're pretty smitten.

QOTD: I just read this question to DP (well, yelled it really, cuz she's in the bath), and she replied, "I don't know." "That's it?" I asked her. Then she suggested that we do both days, for both of us, so that we get uber-celebrated for our parenting. LOL. Oh wait, now she's suggesting that we do one of the days for both of us, with the kid(s), and then take the other day, also to celebrate  both of us, but without the kid(s). I think she's still being funny, but I actually really like this idea!

For the record, she identifies as genderqueer butch, and I identify as femme, and neither of us are planning on being "mom" (or mama or mommy or baba, etc). Not sure how that'll play out, really.  Also, she's the dreamer-artist-designer, and I'm the cook-gardener-tradesperson around here...

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#322 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

(Double post, sorry!)

#323 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBird View Post

Thanks, SplashingPuddle. Unfortunately 70$ is still out of my price range at the moment :/ We have a dog that needs surgery and also found out we have to move! Looking for a new home when the baby is due in ONE month is very stressful. Oy. I did download the two free mp3s, but so far the first one seems to just be convincing me that I should do hypnobirthing. Maybe the second one will be helpful.

Please wish us luck finding a new home!!! I have been trying to remain calm and centered and grounded throughout all this, but not knowing where we are going to live or when exactly we are going to move, not knowing where we'll be when baby Amadora is coming, well, it feels unstable sometimes and I struggle with feelings of anxiety and panic and sadness about it.

Cross post, Coco! I'm sorry for things getting stressful... Yikes, what awful timing! At the risk of sounding silly, I highly recommend taking starling's "charm" idea, and do it for finding a new home: With your family, write or draw on a piece of paper all the things you want/need in a home, and then place it somewhere central (or burn it together, if that's your thing). It may not work, but it sure can't hurt... And I swear it's saved me many times in the past decade of moving semi-annually.

#324 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM

granite--I like that idea! I have done similar rituals and charms before for other things, so I think I will give this a try. :) Thanks.

About finding a pediatrician--we thought about using the same family doctor our girls see, but we have also been considering finding a new doctor over the last couple years. She is okay, but we aren't exactly thrilled with her. So we are thinking we will find a pediatrician. Our midwife thinks it is a good idea for the first couple years anyway--they know more about babies, and are more up-to-speed on current studies than family doctors. I just haven't found the time to "interview" any yet, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it! But they need to know who our baby will see so that they can send info on to them when the time comes, which could be fairly soon as I'm 35 weeks now!

#325 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Coco ... Moving is so much about upheaval and resettling and making a home out of a new space, all things that are big and important.  Add a new baby, and everything is intensified.  I absolutely recommend a charm.  Whatever works for you, when it comes to magic!  

And thanks for the votes, folks!  thumb.gif

#326 of 601 Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks, Starling. Will definitely try a charm. We have two little dogs and a cat, and so many places we've looked at have a limit on two pets only. So we are considering rehoming our adorable little Fancy-Pants (the smallest and youngest dog) but it makes my heart sad. gloomy.gif She is the sweetest little puppy. I have to do my best to put it out there to the universe that we might find a 3 bedroom home that we can afford to rent, is close to the girls' schools, and that will allow us to have both our dogs and our cat. Hoping hoping hoping....

#327 of 601 Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 AM

Coco, good luck with moving! That's stressful.

Wishin, major ugh on a long drawn out labor. Hopefully they're tolerable if they're every 10 minutes.

Granite, what do you want the kid to call you? By name? My kids call their parents baba and first name. Not really confusing except wen people say, where's your mom? And they used to just return a blank stare. About parents saying they can't believe you're going to have a baby, I can understand why they only say it about their own kid. I still look at my 10 year old and can't believe he can take care of himself. He's still a baby in my mind. You know? It's sometimes hard for parents to wrap their minds around their kid growing up.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#328 of 601 Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post

Hi All!

Carmen and starling, we're looking at getting a king size "ZedBed" from Sears... Though I'm very interested in the natural latex one from Ikea too (but we don't want to just order it without touching it first, so now it's a question of getting both DP and I over to the mainland at the same time). How long have you had yours, Carmen?

We've had our for almost 6 years. As I said, we all love it - best purchase I've ever made for our home!

I'm not sure about my GD test. They don't bother with the first one anymore apparently because there are too many false positives...so they just go ahead with the full one. Seems like an odd reason but whatever. I saw the results online but I don't really know what they mean. My fasting glucose was *just* over the normal range so is reporting as "out of range" but after drinking the orange stuff my 1 hour and 1 hour are within range (1 hour is barely in range though). I guess that means I have gestational diabetes? I have no idea. Will wait and see if I hear from my midwife next week. Also, my iron stores have dropped again and report as "anemic" according to the lab. I'm seriously wondering if that's why I can't seem to get enough sleep and feel refreshed.

#329 of 601 Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Good luck wishin!

Hey all,

Sorry it's been awhile! I feel really behind on here for sure! Trucking along at 34 weeks over here...no issues as of yet for the 3rd trimester. This little one is a mover and a shaker though. I'm getting really anxious about finding out the sex at birth just because all the family keeps pestering us about it!

Since we are using an OB and hospital birth, we are limited on some of our requests. Just curious if you all have any opinions on how to avoid an episiotomy (stretching or massages?) and also some techniques that worked for pain-med free labor. My doctor said she will do everything she can to avoid these things, but I know she has been doing this a LONG time, so she will do what is comfortable for her in the end I think.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Hi to everyone else!!! Hope the pregnancies are going splendid (if you are pregnant...)

#330 of 601 Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM

carmen, i bet that's why! i take floradix iron+herb because my iron tested low earlier on in pregnancy. i notice a difference in how i feel when i take it regularly, for sure.

i'm going to get my family together now and write out all that we hope for in a new home.

Tags
Birth , Pregnancy , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page