Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April, May & June 2013! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 601 Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sotohana--cute baby website! we made one for our wedding, but i hadn't seen them for babies, yet. nice idea. :)

pokey--congrats on the negative strep b test! mine came back negative, too :)

afm--I am feeling ready to have this baby! My friend (whose due date was actually 5 days after ours) is going into labor right now! She is being induced because her placenta wasn't working, but she is 37 1/2 weeks along, so it isn't too early. I am excited for her, and excited to meet their little one! And i keep telling our little one that she is going to come out soon, too! Our little darlin dropped even more, now my belly really is sitting in my lap!

Our 11 year old is sooo excited she is skipping her end of the year 3-day field trip in case her little sister arrives during that time. Her birthday is this Thursday and she says she wouldn't even mind if baby came on her birthday--it would be a nice present! So sweet. Our 15 yr old, on the other hand, well....UGH. She has never considered me a parent, although I do many parental things for her. She was 11 when I met her, and had had a lot of adults walk out of her life already. We have many struggles with her, and she has been diagnosed ODD, has been caught drinking several times now, and is pretty mean to the rest of us most of the time. What struggles. Well, she said to my wife the other day "The baby isn't going to be my sister, why would you say that?" SIGH. I worry a little about how things will be between her and baby. Babies are hard not to love, so maybe everything will turn out alright, we'll see. I don't know how to help her feel that we are all a family together. She separates herself so much. And she's not happy that I'm a woman. She would rather her mom have married a man, and rather us be more feminine, too.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#422 of 601 Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Cocobird- I'm so sorry to hear of the troubles that your family is facing with your 15 year old. Indeed it sounds quite traumatizing what she went through with so many people walking out of her life. What I know of trauma is that it literally changes the circuitry of our brains- leading often to the absence of explicit memory (autobiographical recall of specific events) while implicit (emotional, behavioral, perceptual & bodily) memory remains. Perhaps this is why she acts with such anger toward you and her bio-mom even when you haven't done anything that on the surface would seem to incite such anger. That tiny region of the brain, the hippocampus, responsible for fight, flight or freeze reactions is so easily triggered after trauma...it is the hardest thing to work through (take it from someone [me] who goes to counseling weekly and takes depression medicine daily to work through her own childhood trauma. I'm not saying that this is the inevitable outcome for your daughter. I say it only to shed a little more light. To me, I see it as an excellent sign that you have the insight to see why she might be acting so angrily. That compassion goes an extremely long way- even if you can't see the fruits of it right now. As I don't have a child of my own yet- let alone a teenager- I hesitate to give you direct advice for what to do about it, but I want to empathize with you and tell you that I'm just very sorry that this happened to her and that you and your wife now have to deal with it. It sounds very hard for everyone involved. The one thing I will say about what you are doing is that I'm proud of you for reaching out as this is the perfect forum for doing so. DD, at 15, is not able to handle or help you deal with your or your wife's emotional reaction to her behavior, but we are here to support you. Love and light to you and your family from me. xoxo, Abby

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#423 of 601 Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear about the struggles with your teenager, Coco. That sounds hard all around...for everyone hug2.gif

Yes, 7 times a day! Before/after 3 meals a day and once before my bedtime "snack." I also just had a positive ketones test strip (yep, have to do those twice a day too). So far I'm about 1/2 and 1/2 in terms of healthy blood sugar levels.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#424 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 AM

CocoBird - I'm sorry to hear about the struggles with your teen. Her feelings about her mom having a wife and about the femininity thing add a really big wrinkle to the dynamics of blended families. Like you say, perhaps loving the baby will help her. If not, it may be a matter of time until she is a little older and able to heal from the tough teenage years.

Carmen - Bummer about all that testing! Just know it's not your fault. I had a little scare where the doc said there was too much sugar in my urine, and she wanted to re-test my blood, even though I had passed the original glucose test. Turned out my blood was OK. But I definitely sympathize with what you're going through.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#425 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the kind words, all. It is so challenging, I have to practice "letting go" because the situation really is out of my control. The best I can do is continue to stick around and be compassionate and take care of her, and occasionally try to interact with her even though she doesn't want me to.

That is a lot of testing, Carmen! I guess on the positive side, it's good to be safe. That's the attitude I had to take with all the extra ultrasounds (although ultrasounds are probably more fun than your testing).

Speaking of ultrasounds, the O.B.s requested we have one more! That makes 12! Since we had to go to the O.B.s for the fifth's disease thing, the midwives and O.B.s meet as a team to talk about us. So we are having one final ultrasound next week, to check on growth, assuming our baby girl doesn't arrive before that! I'm 38 weeks today, so it really could be anytime...I'm feeling ready!

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#426 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Enjoy seeing your little one again on the inside, coco :)

I hit 30 weeks today! That feels like a huge milestone to me. I decided this morning that my last day of work will officially be July 15th - I had been going back and forth between July 15 or August 2 but realized for DP's work reasons that the earlier day will work better. Just over 6 weeks left. I'm looking forward to being off but as with my last leave, it feels surreal too.

I haven't seen huge (if any) changes in my blood sugar levels even though I've followed the meal plan and exercise exactly. I have to call and check in with the nurse tomorrow morning so I'll see what she says. I imagine I should have seen some changes by now if it were related to diet or exercise...?

#427 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Well, baby is still head up, so the OB scheduled the c section today. I am relieved to just know (although he could still flip in the meantime). The serious upsides (DW's OB doing the delivery, her mom being here for a full 12 days postpartum) outweigh any downsides in my mind. We will be meeting him in two and a half weeks! Crazy.

Cordelia - Any baby news yet?

Carmen - Good luck with the GD, I am sorry you are dealing with all that.

C (26) and S (27) and our little N, born June 18, 2013
#428 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Ugh... Just need a safe place to vent for a minute. I am so stressed! Some of you know from the QC thread and also a post I made here a couple months ago that DW and I are moving. Actually, we are moving back into a house that we used to live in and still own. We bought it while DW was in graduate school and then moved away when she got her first job, knowing there was a good chance we would be back someday. In the meantime we have rented it out, and I am kicking myself for writing the lease to expire at the end of August. Back in March when DW got a jobmback in the area, we notified our tenants that we would not be renewing the lease. And though of course legally they have the right to stay until the end of their lease, we mentioned how we thought it would be in everyone's best interest to have the moving done much earlier than that, and that we would allow them to break the lease early at any time with no notice at all. One of the tenants is also a professor in the area, and school starts the last week of August. Who wants to move the first week of school? No one. Ok, so anyway, I have been hoping with all my being that the moved would be done by the end of July. Well, I casually emailed the tenants over the weekend to see where they are at with their housing search, and they just wrote me back a very non-commital email about doing their best but assuming they would be there until the end of the lease. Ugh! I will be 35 weeks at that point, and I am kinda freaking out about waiting that long to get in and unpack and nest, and also switch care providers. I know it is a bit irrational but I keep having these fears that the baby is going to come really early, like, in the middle of the move or just before we move and it just makes me feel... Unsettled, vulnerable, lost, etc. I didn't tell our tenants that I am pregnant because I was worried it would sound inappropriate and like I was trying to coerce them. But I really just want them to get out of my house now, please.... What would you do? I am also considering offering them a financial incentive to move early.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#429 of 601 Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM

Sphinxy, I understand that stress! On the other hand, being in the position of the tenant, it can be stressful to have to move and hard to say when they will find the right place for them. We have to move by January, are hoping to move sooner, but have had to be non-commital with our landlords as well, because we don't know when we'll find the right place. Of course, in our situation we are the ones expecting a baby soon as tenants. Be grateful you have a place to go, that you know where you are going to live! My big stress is that I'm 38 weeks and I have no idea when we are going to move, or where to. We are looking at a place this Saturday, but if that doesn't work out we may be here through August or September...who knows! Anyway, hopefully your tenants are actively looking for a place, and hopefully they will find one before the end of August. I do understand why they don't want to officially commit to that, as they have a lease and it is hard to predict when you will find the right place to move to. Good for you for keeping it professional, though! Our landlords have tried to make us feel guilty for renting from them, because the house is apparently a financial burden, but we didn't decide for them to put it up for rent, we just agreed to rent it! Every time we talk to them it's "Oh, this is such a burden...we're living in poverty [they are not]...we can't afford this house..." Well, we tried to buy it but can't afford to, and we have been good renters for 3 years, and it is not our fault that they decided to move to another city live in a motor home and open a new business, nor is it our fault that their business isn't picking up the way they wanted it to. I can sympathize and understand their situation, but the way they have literally tried to make us feel guilty about not being able to buy the house or pay higher rent than we had agreed to in writing, is really uncool and unprofessional. But I digress! :) Anyway, I understand moving stress, and the uncertainty of it, and I hope it works out for you! But do try to hold on to that gratitude that you have a place to go, that you know ultimately where you are going to live, even if you can't be sure it's exactly when you want to move. Because I am envious of your situation! I just want to know we have a good place to go.

#430 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 AM

easttowest. . glad you have a date scheduled and are in a good place about it!  

sphinxy.  I don't think it's inappropriate to tell them, you can do it in a way that explains why you are asking but still tell them the ball is in their court and you are fine either way. . also if you are willing to give them a financial incentive, you can always just use that same money to have someone unpack for you!  I consider pregnancy, especially late pregnancy a legitimate excuse to spend money to have others help you do things that you would normally take care of yourself.   obviously you still need nesting time but the more you can get done ahead of time, the better!  

coco. . yay for being almost there!  I'll race you.  sorry you are having some trouble with the older child.  I think just giving them a place to talk and constant reassurance can help, maybe some time (probably not right at the birth of the child)  you could do a few family therapy sessions, I hate to be the "throw therapy out there like it solves everything" person.  I know it isn't a solve all but having a space where she can see you are visible committed to being a family can help, other than that I really think time can solve a lot, just keep being there, sounds like you are really committed to making sure she knows she is loved but it must hurt to hear those things in response, so hugs! 

carmen  30 WEEKS!!!!!!!  I love the milestones!  

AFM. . hanging in there. . baby is huge, over 8 pounds already, zero signs of progress, starting to think I just want to schedule a repeat c-section, something I thought I would never say, I have been really wanting a vbac. . I know I still have time, but with her 110% size head up to two weeks to go just makes me worried.  I am def going to give it another week and 1/2 or so and am going to acupuncture etc to start labor but blah blah blah. . same vacillation as always    right now sitting in bed worried bc baby girl hasn't moved all morning, going to have some juice and wait a little bit!  finally got some clothes together and and gave away DS's old clothes we don't need.  and bought all the good post labor supplies I need.   Now we just need to set up the bassinet.  

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#431 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM

cocobird thanks for your thoughts. It is helpful to consider it from the other perspective. Because we knew our move was likely temporary and couldn't afford to own another home, we are renting where we are now and I have landlords that sound a lot like yours. They are so unprofessional and my goal with my own tenants has to been to be nothing like my current landlords. I am DEFINITELY grateful that I know where I am going/living. I just really have moments of anxiety, too, about the timing. I worry about the baby arriving early, like right before we move, and coming "home" to a cold, empty, packed up house. I worry about the toll on my body that the stress of a move might cause that late in the pregnancy. I just didn't want to have to do things so close together. It's 200 miles away from where I am now, and I am going to have to change care providers. Not really something I wanted to do at 35 weeks. Yes I can reach out to the midwifery practice in that area in advance, but it's not like I'm going to be able to get that many appointments with them before birth if we aren't moving until week 35. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that there is very little I can do about it at this point. I had really been hoping that the extra notice we gave them would have prompted them to look sooner because A LOT of rentals in that area turn over around June 1... Oh well. Good luck to you in your search! Your landlords sound awful but I am glad they gave you lots of notice about the need to move so you canfind the right place for your family.

cordelia thanks, I appreciate the idea that it might be OK to mention my pregnancy in a non-guilt inducing way. After I read your email, I was on the phone with my mom and mentioned the idea and she gave me some of my favorite advice- "just be human". I like your idea of paying someone to help unpack, thankfully that convenience will not be needed because we have a good handful of friends and family in the area who have already offered to help a lot. DW and I talked this morning and decided to offer our tenants an incentive to move out early (decent size if they move by july 1, modest if they move by august 1), and also casually mention the pregnancy as the reason for the incentive. We're not rolling in the dough or anything but since DW's new employer is defraying some of our moving expenses we decided that the peace of mind of being able to move back early would be worth the cost to us. And in the meantime I will work on coming to terms with the possibility that they reject our offer and stay the full term. Anyway, good luck to you! If anything I think it could be helpful if you are feeling accepting of the possibility of a c-section now, just so it isn't as hard to accept later if it becomes truly necessary. Either way we are rooting for you!

easttowest - what a great example you are setting for how to roll with it and focus on the positive. I am happy for you that you have a date!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#432 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM

I called in my blood sugar numbers this morning and I have to go in "asap" to start on insulin greensad.gif (tomorrow morning). I'm so upset about it and so disappointed. She said my numbers are still very high and that they now know that it has nothing to do with my diet and that it's hormonal. I will have to have daily injections and test my blood 4 times a day for the rest of my pregnancy. The worst part is when I asked my midwife last week about being risked out of a home birth she said only if I'm on insulin. At this point a hospital birth is so far out of my thoughts that I can't believe I have to start prepping for it. I'm not sure how I'll handle it emotionally. AND I pushed for 3 hours to get DD out....I'm fairly certain in a hospital they won't let me go that long without talk of a c-section.

BUT as a last resort, I'm going to get some clarification from my midwife because the nurse at the hospital said she's surprised I can't still have a home birth because my pregnancy and birth should still be very low risk. She wondered if it was a just a regulation that dictates that.

#433 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Carmen, hugs. And hopefully you will have a faster second labor anyway, so try not to worry yet about how long you may push.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#434 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM

carmen - I'm sorry to hear about the worries re: home birth / hospital birth:( I hope you get some clarity quickly so you can figure out how to make this birth yours - and set up what you need and want.

My wife had to transfer care in the birth of DD1. If you transfer care in Ontario, the midwives often attend the birth and do a lot of labour support. Sometimes they catch the baby still with the OB present monitoring what they need to monitor. There is sometimes give there. I hope if you do need to transfer care that it is temporary, or that your midwives are still able to attend. Your midwives - if you transfer care - will hopefully have relationships with OBs who will honour your birth needs re: pushing. If it is not an emergency - it is still your call even if a c-section is suggested!  Perhaps if you have to transfer care and there aren`t midwives present you can get a doula who will be a strong voice for your birth wishes and communicate your past birth experiences so you can just concentrate on what you need to do in labour. A doula might have some great ways to labour in a hospital as well if this is what happens.

I`m keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to stay low-risk and be where you want most to be. I`m thinking of you. I hope you get some clear answers tomorrow.

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#435 of 601 Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Carmen ... I wonder what Gloria Lemay would say about your situation?  Can you get a consult with her before going on insulin?  

Thinking of you, hon. 

xo

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#436 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 AM

carmen. . sorry that really is a bummer about the insulin, sometimes the body is just weird and nothing you can do controls it.   I do hope that you get the birth you want or find peace in whatever happens.  though I did end up with a section last time (as you probably know from my repeat yammering :) )  my hospital was really great about letting me push for so long, I also pushed for three hours and they still let me call it at that stage though they pushed pretty hard at the point bc I had no progress but honestly my dr did not even bring it up until then.  still, if you can labor at home, I hope you get that chance! 

#437 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the support, everyone. 

omom, my midwives have hospital privileges at the hospital I'm already registered at (you are supposed to register as a back up) so yes, they will definitely be my care providers - I believe one midwife and one nurse whereas at home it's 2 midwives. And I will have my doula with me too. If it were an emergency transfer (unplanned) then my midwife would be in more of a doula role and pass off to an OB.

seraf, my labour (before pushing) was actually not all that long compared to a lot of first births I hear about. Maybe 4 hours?

starling, a co-worker friend of mine is friends with Gloria and studied with her as well so I'm going to ask her what she thinks. She already knows what's happened so far. To tell you the truth though, I'm so freaked out about the effects of my blood sugar on the baby that I'm terrified NOT to do anything now. Such a strange mix of emotions greensad.gif

cordelia, that's encouraging to hear, thanks for sharing.

I'm sure everything will be fine....I just DO NOT want to be there.....that's the head space I'm in so I need to change that around. I'm just not there yet.

#438 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Carmen, I pushed for almost three hours (well, one hour, then a break, then 2 1/2, so more than three total) and no one said word one about a c-section or any other interventions. I was trying to decide how to phrase the forceps-or-extractor conversation because I was getting so exhausted but then she was out. For us it helped to have our midwives there, a really solid birth plan (exactly what we wanted at each step of the way if things escalated), and our doula, who kept an eye on things. I'm sorry to hear about the insulin--that definitely sucks.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#439 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 PM

Okay, I have to say...I am ready for this baby to come out! I know I haven't reached my due date yet (June 11) but I'm over 38 weeks now, and feeling oh so ready...I had one friend give birth on Tuesday and another on Wednesday this week.....MY TURN!!! Anyone do anything to encourage labor? We were told last week I should start taking Evening Primrose oil, and that it is okay to do things like walking, nipple stimulation, acupressure, and making love, which all could encourage labor...

#440 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBird View Post

Okay, I have to say...I am ready for this baby to come out! I know I haven't reached my due date yet (June 11) but I'm over 38 weeks now, and feeling oh so ready...I had one friend give birth on Tuesday and another on Wednesday this week.....MY TURN!!! Anyone do anything to encourage labor? We were told last week I should start taking Evening Primrose oil, and that it is okay to do things like walking, nipple stimulation, acupressure, and making love, which all could encourage labor...

I did EPO vaginally and orally starting at 36 (or 37?) weeks, along with a regime of homeopathics everyday starting at the same time - all on the advice of my midwives. I also started drinking RRL tea with a vengeance. DD was born at 39.3 weeks. I have no idea if that had an impact but I'll be doing it again this time!

I had a rather emotional day today. I went into the GD clinic for my "insulin training" this morning. I have to have 4 injections a day (2 before breakfast and 2 before dinner) - 2 different kinds of insulin. I also have to continue testing 4 times a day. I was supposed to start tonight. However, I wanted to get some other opinions first. I'm waiting on a call back from a birth attendant (Gloria, that starling mentioned) here in Vancouver and I just spoke to my midwife. The good news is I don't have to transfer care to an OB....which is what I thought all day long. So, I can still have my same midwifery care :) The other good news is I can birth at home whether I decide to take the insulin or not. However, my midwife said she cannot recommend a homebirth if I choose not to take the insulin...she won't say no, but she can't recommend it. If I get my sugars under control with insulin then I should be good with a home birth or, more preferably to them, a hospital birth. So, after lots of thought and weighing the risks, I am going to start the insulin in the morning and see what my sugars do and then decide if I want to go with a homebirth still. Oh, I do have to "share care" with an OB but it's one the midwives regularly work with and it would only be a couple of appointments.

Wow, and I thought TTC was a rollercoaster.

#441 of 601 Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 PM

Carmen, sorry about the GD struggles! Glad you can still see the midwife. :) When I was dealing with the Fifths Disease (which put baby at risk for Anemia) we had to start seeing an O.B. along with our midwives. They work together regularly, though, and I actually really like the O.B.! They actually want us to have one more ultrasound, but other than that we are just seeing the midwives, and it is a midwife who will be at the birth. Also, I'm curious what you mean by homeopathics?

#442 of 601 Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoBird View Post

Carmen, sorry about the GD struggles! Glad you can still see the midwife. :) When I was dealing with the Fifths Disease (which put baby at risk for Anemia) we had to start seeing an O.B. along with our midwives. They work together regularly, though, and I actually really like the O.B.! They actually want us to have one more ultrasound, but other than that we are just seeing the midwives, and it is a midwife who will be at the birth. Also, I'm curious what you mean by homeopathics?

An alternative form of medicine...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy....not a great description but will give some info.

Here is a link to what my midwives suggest...http://www.pomegranate-midwives.com/handouts/RipeNReady%20-%203rdTrimester.pdf

#443 of 601 Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Cocobird- I'm sending you lots of labor inducing vibes! Can't wait to hear all about your birth!

Carmen- What encouraging news from your midwife! I'm so relieved for you that you may still be able to get the homebirth you've been longing for! Yay!

Sphinxy- I like your Mom's advice. It sounds a lot like something my Dad would say. I'm with Cordelia in that it seems totally fine to me to mention to your tenants that you are pregnant. The way you ended up doing it doesn't say "guilt-inducing" to me in any way, shape, or form. It just sounds straight-forward. I also hear what Cocobird is saying about being grateful for knowing your next steps. I've been trying to remind myself of that a lot lately too. It's easy to forget in the midst of stress and worry that there are bright spots. Sending you lots of prayers that your incentive works out! 

Cordelia- I'm so anxious over here to hear if you've had your baby yet! I hope everything is going well for you! Btw, I love your username. Is it your real name? I had never heard that name before and then I just started reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book, Flight Behavior, and there's a character in it named Cordelia too. As a side note, I just asked DW what she thought of the name and she said "that's a name. Not for our kid, though." lol. She's always shooting down my brilliant name ideas like Cordelia and Paloma, and Ozilline. Yes, I got that last one from an IG song. lol! :)

AFU- Doing well over here at 14 weeks, 6 days! I'm definitely feeling a lot more energetic and happy today. As I've been telling others when they ask, I call it day by day at this point 'cause I don't want to jinx myself. Perhaps its because of the sun, which finally decided to show itself for the first time yesterday. Ahhh summer in the NW. I swear that first day of sun each year makes all of us SAD afflicted people crazed with joy. We're also getting more and more excited by the day for our NM trip! I'll be sure to post some pics after our shower. 

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#444 of 601 Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, it's no longer May! Does anyone want to be a threadkeeper for June/July, and start a new thread? Or... Should I just add June onto the title for this thread? I'm fine either way!

Soto, those are *great* names!!! I don't know what there is not to like! Heh heh... Then again, DP and I are definitely going for names that'll be one-of-a-kind... My mom says we shouldn't, cuz the kid'll already hafta deal with having gay parents: To this I respond, exactly! The kid'll already be a bit different thanks to our queerness, so why not just run with it? LOL...

Cocobird, I too am sending you labour vibes! Go go go, little baby! It's time! goodvibes.gif

I'm sorry about the GD, carmen, and the insulin especially... But glad you at least still may have some options for getting the birth you want. You're right, this late pregnancy trip you're on is really full of ups & downs!

Good luck negotiating with your tenants, Sphinxy. I hope the cash incentives do the trick... As a long-time renter myself, I know I'd be tickled to get a chance for some extra funds to help defray the costs of an earlier move.

Cordelia, you sound *so* ready! I'm so impressed, and looking forward to hearing the news any day now...

How about some baby-flipping vibes, easttowest? There oughta be an emoticon on here for that! Just over two weeks to go, wow. It was about a year ago that I first started participating in the forums, and I'm so stoked that all y'all whose BFPs I remember are finally going to get to meet your new little ones!

AFM: 18 WEEKS!!! All is well. I'm back at school, and back to commuting by bicycle, which is absolutely lovely. Nothing else is new. Oh, except that DP's parents have decided they're coming to visit (from Ontario, across the continent) when the baby is born. Like, 2 weeks after. ZOMG. I'm worried about how this will go down, especially as DP's dad is pretty awful and DP gets super-stressed around him... But then I just keep reminding myself that it's pretty damn great they're so keen on this new grandkid of theirs, as we'd honestly not been sure if they'd feel that way! A double-edged sword...

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#445 of 601 Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 AM

soto. . I am still here and no signs of labor though I am going crazy around the house boxing things up to give away!  I made lots of plans for next week which I hope will either spur on labor, or take me through to the next week where I know she will come out one way or another.  So I booked a haircut for Thursday and DH and my anniversary is Friday and we had a friend offer to babysit so we'll go out for one last dinner if we make it!   And cordelia is not my real name but was a nickname that two people randomly called me when I was a kid so I use it for my user name. .my real name is WAY more boring!  naming babies is HARD. . we still don't agree on anything but hope to be inspired when she comes out!  and glad you are feeling better!! 

granite.  commuting on a bike sounds lovely and though I imagine the visit from DPs parents will be hard, I hope it turns out to be a beautiful surprise. . I think people often step up around the birth of a child and I hope the visit ends up filled with love and surprises. 

okay running off to a toddler kirtan/yoga  event so more later!  

#446 of 601 Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the labor vibes!! Every day, throughout the day, my wife and daughter ask me if I'm in labor yet or having any signs of labor. Sometimes it makes me feel like they are jinxing it! I want them to stop asking so I can stop saying "no" and "not yet" it's kind of a downer! I know they are just eager and excited like me.

In other news....we found a house that we reeeally want to buy and I think we can afford. We put an offer down! It's not for certain yet but I have good feelings about it.....really hoping it works out! It would be so awesome for our daughter to grow up in one house. And it would be nice for the rest of us to have that stability. Cross your fingers for me! :)

Carmen-- Thanks for the links!

Sotohana-- I hear you with the first sunny days! We're in the northwest, too, and have been going to the river enjoying the warm weather and sunshine! Went to the neighborhood pool today for a swim, too! So awesome.

Granite-- hope the visit goes well!

Cordelia--I'm also busy boxing things up to give away! Trying to stay busy to get through the waiting period...who knows when our little bundle of joy will arrive!

#447 of 601 Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post

Hey, it's no longer May! Does anyone want to be a threadkeeper for June/July, and start a new thread? Or... Should I just add June onto the title for this thread? I'm fine either way!

I'm not really able to keep up that well so I can't volunteer to take it one. If no one else can volunteer I'm ok with you adding June on to this thread.

#448 of 601 Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM

I talked with my wife some more about the negatives my doctor pointed out re circing, and she said she would think about them and be open minded. I was really happy about that! But then she brought it up in front of her sister-in-law, who immediately pronounced we should do it! Obnoxious. And what's worse, she came up with a story that's hard to dispute --- that she knows someone whose father had to have a circ when he was elderly, because of chronic nasty infections due partly to incontinence. Lovely.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#449 of 601 Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

mrs-  Hello wave.gif  Yes, I'm still hanging around here, just been extremely busy at work with the approaching warm season.  EVERYONE wants their outdoor furniture NOW!  lol. Work is pretty much the only time I have to get on here.   I do mass catch up sessions when I can, but then don't have much time to post personals or really even briefly talk about what has been going on lately.  I did recently post in the Pregnant with Twins (or more!): Spring/Summer 2013 thread if you wanted to get caught up with how things are going with me.

Update with me -24 weeks along now....  means the boys will come anytime between 10 weeks and 14 weeks!  My goal is 38 weeks.  I got a call from my OB... (I had to see an OB in the practice since finding out it was twins.)  She left a voicemail that said she was sorry that I couldn't be seen at that practice any longer and I wouldn't be able to deliver at that hospital.  I was completely blindsided.  At the first appointment with her, she said everything on the ultrasound looked fine and we could possibly do split care between her and the midwife (midwife to go over the birthplan and to be there with the delivery).  Then she calls and tells me she is transferring me to a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor.  I call to ask about it and the nurse said that if everything looks good to MFM doctor that I could come back and do split care with the MFM doctor and the OB.  Then I call to get switched to another MFM doctor (female) and the nurse said that I needed to deliver next door the children's hospital just in case and wouldn't be able to deliver there...  I am beyond frustrated.  I finally got the practice to move my records to the doctor I chose instead of the male doctor my OB chose and got set up with an appointment next Friday w/ultrasound.  Happy about the appointment, finally! but not happy about the ultrasound (but that goes into another topic that is complicated to go into since it's twins.  So right now, everything is still up in the air until I meed with the MFM doctor.  The other naturally minded hospital (there are only 2 in my area) said they would take me if everything checked out with MFM doctor, so hopefully things will work out.  I was really looking forward to the using the labor tub (only at the 2 naturally minded hospitals).  My *dream* was to deliver in the tub "accidently."  (The tubs are only supposed to be used for laboring.)  Now it doesn't look like I will even get to labor in one.  I like the idea of the babies coming out fairly clean and the hospital nurses not rubbing and scrubbing the babies.  With DD's birth, she was wrapped up when they handed her to me.  I'm still pissed that they didn't give her to me to have immediate skin to skin contact, despite my birthplan.  They do things that are just "standard" and if you want anything different, you have keep reminding and reminding and when you are in the middle of delivery, everything is just a blur and goes so fast, so that is hard to do.  (And I'm pretty sure that DD's cord was cut way too soon.)

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#450 of 601 Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Outdoorsy, I know long term care nurses who say the same thing. They circ their newborns so that if they get poor eldercare in an institution, they're slightly less likely to get a UTI. :eyeroll
I have known MANY intact men in long term care. I met one who was circed due to bad care. He shrugged about it.

There are so many surgeries I don't perform on my newborns in the name of preventing neglect.

S+B, that sounds amazingly frustrating. Good luck at the next visit.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1

Tags
Birth , Pregnancy , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page