Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April, May & June 2013! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 601 Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sotohana - If you scroll back in this thread to posts 77-82, onemommyonemama and I had a conversation about the pain I was having while peeing, which we think was linked to the organs shifting and my tipped uterus. There was some great advice she gave me in there about trying to pee on all fours, sometimes in a bathtub/shower with warm water on your back. Not sure if this will help your friend but it sounds like anything is worth a try at this point! How awful...

Do any of our newborn multiples mamas who may be supplementing with formula want some samples and coupons for enfamil? A coworker gave them to me today but even if BFing doesn't work out for me, these will expire before I would use them. PM me if you want them and I can mail them to you.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#242 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM

Soto - Hopefully the tips here will work for her, but if not, I think she definitely needs to see a different doctor. Not drinking water and getting dehydrated is not good for the baby or her.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#243 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Thank you all so much for the ideas! I'll pass them along right away.

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#244 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Hey granite - I am on ravelry :) same username if you want to look me up, I would love to share knitting pages and see some other baby projects to get inspired!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#245 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Again, thank you all so much for those ideas for my friend. She’s doing a lot better today- was able to go to the coast for a mini getaway with her wife even. I’m not sure what ended up working, but I’m going to see her tomorrow, so I’ll ask her then.

Bigfoot- Sounds like that ended up being the best choice for you and your family not to take the cookbook contract. I can’t say enough about being able to say “no” and step back when the time just isn’t right. It’s very liberating and I’m happy to hear that you were able to do that! How are the housework projects going?

Granite- thank you for saying that about my blog. I haven’t been writing lately because I’ve just not felt up for it, but I think I might start again in the next couple of weeks. After I quit my job, I just needed to take some time to not do anything at all. Know what I mean?

That’s great that you’ll be able to not have to deal with too tight clothes for much longer! I am not showing yet, but have been soooo bloated since the beginning, so I know how uncomfy tight clothes can be. Btw, I’m just over the river from Portland, so if you wanna get some tea or something, let me know!

Planet- so many congrats on the adoption finalization! What a big relief. Also, it sounds like Wylie is at a really adorable stage! I’m so happy for your family!

Poiyt- Welcome! I’m glad you found our corner of the internet and I hope you enjoy your time here!

Cocobird- That fall sounds like it was really scary! I’m really glad you are okay. As for why you may have fallen, I have no idea, but what the others have said about your center of gravity shifting makes logical sense to me. Phew. I’m just glad you and baby are okay!

Also, thank you so much for your offer to chat with me when I try to go off the meds. That’s gonna be really helpful and I’ll definitely message you. Thanks!

AFU- DW took a spill the other day too. She was at a work event riding a horse and was just done with the ride and getting off when the horse spooked and she fell- first on her butt, then back, then head. When she called me she was in the hot tub at the hotel. I, of course, got really freaked out and made her drive to the ER with me on the phone. They checked her out and everything was okay, but they did end up giving her a shot for the inflammation and sent her home with some really strong meds. She took Monday & Tuesday off, but has gone in yesterday and today. I think she needs to take some more time off, but she’s very stubborn…

In good news, she had a video interview today for a pretty rad position down at Toyota Headquarters in Torrance. If she gets it, we’d be moving there really soon. The great part is that she would only have to travel 15% versus the 85-90% she travels now. Wish us luck!

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#246 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Sotohana, good luck!

Our baby is now a kid. He took his first steps Tuesday and now he's one.

Funny face, showing off his new toy.

Cake!

Sleeping!

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#247 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Sooo cute, seraf, I love the funny face! :)

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#248 of 601 Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM

They grow up so fast, Seraf. Very cute kids!

#249 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 AM

Seraf ADORABLE!!!  Sorry for mostly lurking...I've found it challenging to keep up, but I've been following long Essennbee, TWINS!  Congratulations!  And, Sotohana--if your friend has any further issues she should probably go to to her actual doctor, not the ER.  ER doc's are pretty much going to blow off anyone who they don't think is in serious trouble--they are crisis intervention folk, and tend to be pretty unresponsive if they think folk are using them for things that are more appropriate to a primary care physician.  Planet, congrat's on Wylie's "officialization" as it were...it's such a weird thing to have to adopt our own kids (we are in the midst of the process for our first and second kiddos).  

Sorry for anyone I've missed (Poiyt, welcome)...

AFM--we will be 39 weeks on Tuesday and DW and I are more than ready for the baby to come (anytime now kid).  She's super uncomfortable and is having really bad back pain...as she says, "I'm ready for you to carry him sometimes!".  We've thought things might be kicking up a couple of times...but my wife is a human barometer and gets tons of braxton hix (I can never spell that) every time the weather shifts (which has been frequently).  I just agreed to a new part time gig that starts in mid-July and my current gig ends when the baby comes (another reason that I'm ready for the baby to come...I'm feeling done with the current project).  My work commitments tend to be about a day and a half a week of work along with covering emergencies (for which there is back-up in case I am unavailable) and they are nice supplement to our family budget and keep me on the radar professionally, as it were.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#250 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Congrats and welcome, poiyt!

soto, eep! The fall sounds unnerving. Glad to hear everyone is ok though. The new job sounds ideal - fingers crossed that she gets it :)

seraf, happy birthday to Soren - love the photos!

wishin, how the heck did you get to 39 weeks already?! Hopefully not too much longer now...Is anyone predicting an early or late arrival? My doula, myself and even one of my midwives predicted an early or on EDD for DD...we were all right with DD being born at 39 1/2 weeks :)

Afm: I did my final presentation for the training I mentioned I was taking (part of the Japan trip). It wasn't very good and I felt really bad after. I'll get my certification as the presentation is only a small part of it but I've been beating myself up since yesterday afternoon. I need some time off all the stuff I have going on. It's (mostly) all exciting stuff but it's a lot. Oh, we had our first open house last week and have 4 scheduled second showings which is awesome. First one was last night. I've also started getting a weird heaviness/bruised feeling in my vulva/pubic area. It's not that painful but is uncomfy. I had it later on with DD but this seems early. I hate complaining about a pregnancy I wanted so badly.....and I've been lucky so far it's been an "easy" one. Anyway, my final exam is this morning - not feeling ready for it.........

This update is brought to you by Miss. Whiny-Pants.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#251 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM

Seraf--I just wanted to let you know that we have been (for the most part) cosleeping with the triplets. It is SO possible even in a full size bed!!

M (30), D (30)  TTC #1 since October 2010. 13 unsuccessful cycles--no meds (2 m/c). First medicated IUI July 2012: BFN. Second medicated IUI: BFP! Triplets! bigeyes.gif Actual Due Date: May 17...GOAL: April 5th!

Sawyer, Elliott, and Miles arrived on March 24th @ 32 weeks & 2 days.

#252 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Carmen, I'm sorry you feel like you have too much going on. Hopefully the dust will begin to settle soon.

Lise, awesome. I'm thinking in a few months you will need more space, but I'm glad it's working for you now. How is nursing going for both of you? Did your DP ever get milk in? Did you? Can any of the boys latch?

#253 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Wow, lisadea! Do they sleep above your head like in serafs diagram? : ) that is so awesome!

Thanks for all the congrats, folks!

Carmen, sorry to hear you didn't feel good about your presentation. I hate that feeling! Also, hope you get more comfortable soon.

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#254 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Bigfoot: Your baby projects sound like fun. Good luck with the crocheting! I'm glad that your new OB practice is so much better. It's exciting that you might get to work with midwives!

Coco: I'm sorry about your fall. Are you feeling better now? Thanks for the clothes suggestions!

Poiyt: I totally want to use your herbal knowledge, but I'm not sure what I need herbs for right now! Any favorite herbs for general health? In what subject will you be getting your masters?

Planet: Congratulations on completing the adoption! We were relieved too when we got that done.

Granite: It's nice that you'll be returning to school for 10 weeks soon. Doing that during pregnancy sounds like perfect timing! Housekeeping: Three of the people listed in recovering from losses (Carmen, Baby.fatty, and Alphahen) are actually pregnant!

Alphahen: Are you reading along here? I don't know how much you are on MDC these days.

Sotohana: I'm sorry about your wife's fall. I have my fingers crossed that she gets the new position!

Seraf: Look at that (those!) adorable one year olds. I still can't believe that little baby Soren is a whole year old.

Wishin: 39 weeks! Wow! I hope that the baby comes soon!

Carmen: It sounds like a hard time right now. I hope the weekend is rejuvenating!

Lisedea: That's some seriously impressive cosleeping! How are things going in general?

AFM: We had our first midwife appointment yesterday, and it went well. The kid's heartbeat was strong and easy to find, so that was a relief. The midwife did a nice job including our son in the exam and we had a good talk about our fears and about risk in general. My wife and I are both still feeling a little bit nervous about trying again for a homebirth, but overall we're fairly glad to be working with these midwives again. One slightly surprising decision is that I think we're going to do the MaternT21 test tomorrow. We don't have any risk factors, but I spent a good portion of our son's pregnancy worrying about his health, and my wife feels like we should just get the additional information since it isn't invasive for the kid and hopefully it will be reassuring. I feel nervous about it, though, especially since we haven't agreed on what we would do if it did show an issue. I think some of you have done genetic testing or screening, right? How did it go? Were you glad you did it?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#255 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM

escher - I completely respect that genetic screening can be very nerve-wracking, and for some people that truly does outweigh the benefits. Everyone also has to make the best decision for themselves and their family. My niece has a condition similar to Down's, and in talking with her mom about how they found out and the impact it had on the birth experience, I am now in general very pro-screening. My SIL & BIL did not have any risk factors, and I don't know that my niece's condition would be caught on any of the tests that are available now, but I speak in terms of the general benefits of screening, and how I think my family's experience could have been improved by screening. When my niece was born a doctor very familiar with this condition just happened to be working in the hospital and noticed a trait in my niece's profile that is often an indicator, but not something that an untrained eye would likely pick up on. The doc suggested screening and I think it definitely had a negative effect on the birth experience. Rather than just getting to snuggle their new baby there was an element of worry immediately introduced into the moment. Also, as soon as they got home, in addition to getting accustomed to life with their first newborn, they were also swimming through the available resources to help their daughter. My niece is amazing and her disability is loved by us all as part of her wonderful uniqueness. However, I do think that if my SIL & BIL had been aware of her condition before birth, then A) they could have done the mental and emotional preparation ahead of time without it affecting the birth experience quite so much and B) they could have been researching these resources for their child in advance as well, rather than doing it all in those first few weeks after coming home from the hospital. All of my niece's doctors credit her early interventions (physical therapy from day one and speech therapy pretty early as well, probably other things I'm not as aware of) with just how well she is doing compared to the average for kids with her condition. Without that doctor present (or in a hypothetical situation without genetic screening) there would have been less of an opportunity to get that intervention so early. 

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#256 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Escher, if it will ease your mind, that would be a good thing. It's not a test with a high rate of false positives, is it? And you would know if it is a boy or girl, right?

#257 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Sphinxy: Thanks for sharing your niece's experience. I agree that prenatal genetic testing can be useful, but it still makes me nervous. What testing or screening did you do?

Seraf: We wouldn't find out the sex. The results would be sent to our midwives and they wouldn't tell us. It seems to have a low rate of false positives (much lower than the nuchal translucency scan), but it is a new test, so they don't have endless data about it. Ugh. I don't know. I have very mixed feelings about it.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#258 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Escher - So far we have had the Nuchal Scan (neck fold measurements via u/s plus a blood sample) for Down's and it came back negative. We also had a blood test a couple weeks ago (can't remember what it was called) that checks for Spina Bifida, and that also came up negative. During Week 20 we will have a day of appointments - it starts with our anatomy scan at the hospital in the morning and then we move over to our ob/midwife office in the afternoon to discuss it. At that time we are scheduled to talk about other test options based on what we see and what my insurance will/won't cover. 

#259 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 PM

escher, we did the maternT21 test instead of the week 12 (nuchal scan) blood work. it was difficult to navigate what was best for us, but the nuchal blood work usually comes back elevated for twins and i didnt want to deal with the stress of that. the materniT21 test looks at the actual DNA in the mother's blood, so it has a higher accuracy rate (so far). it is REALLY new, but the data i saw was convincing enough for me to be comfortable with it. 

our doctor was kind of a d--- about the m21 test, like asking why we were so insistent about getting this test and why were we so concerned about genetic problems when i am so low-risk. she made me feel like a bad person for wanting to know! if there is something i can know and prepare for before the birth, i want to be prepared. if there is something we can do to be more "ready" for a baby with special needs, i want to do it. period. 

of course, the reassurance that there were not problems with the chromosomes was priceless information. we did find out the sex of at least one baby from the m21 test, which was pretty cool for me. i cried. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#260 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM

escher, i know your question was posed to Poiyt, but I thought I'd share that my very favorite herb for general health is Nettles. They are so super nourishing. When I remember to drink nettles infusions regularly, I have more energy, don't ever get sick, and feel more healthy in every way. You should read about them. Susun Weed wrote a lot about nettles in her book Wise Woman Herbal books "Healing Wise" and "For the Childbearing Year".

Feeling better from the fall--the midwife pointed out that I probably landed weird because I subconsciously was avoiding landing on my belly, so that would be why I twisted a muscle in my abdomen.

Having SUPER bad pain in my ribs on the right side. Along with pain in my mid-upper back on the right side. The midwife suggested I try a chiropractor or massage--there is a place that specializes in pregnancy. Not sure if my insurance covers it, but with how BAD this is, I'm going to look into it for sure! It is super distracting, even brought me near tears at times. She said a rib may be a little displaced d/t the little one. That is near where her feet often are. Otherwise I've tried some stretches, some prenatal yoga off of youtube, occasional tylenol, heat packs, but nothing brings very much relief. And my darling wife does give me back massages often. All of that just is very temporary relief though. Any suggestions?

Also, maybe we should start a queer maternity fashion thread, haha. I don't know about y'all, but when I got pregnant I was nervous that there would be nothing non-gender-conforming to wear! I looked around online and couldn't find anything helpful.

About the tests--I declined any genetic testing, partly due to my wife's previous experience with our oldest daughter. She tested a risk for down syndrome and then had all this worry and waiting and finally did a more invasive test that showed that she did not have downs, afterall. I have worked with many people who have downs and spina bifida and many of the conditions they test for, so I felt that if any of those turned out to be an issue, I would at least be more prepared than a lot of folk. The stress of the tests, and the potential invasiveness of further testing, were what made me decide not to have any of it.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#261 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Escher - the best overall health herb, in my opinion, is moringa. In one serving it has 125% of your daily calcium, 60% magnesium, 22% of vitamin c, all your vitamin a and 71% of iron - amongst other things. it lowers blood pressure, Improves immune function, protects the stomach lining, and boosts energy. There are also studies being done to show that it helps treat cancer symptoms, ulcers, diabetes, and a whole host of other ailments. It truly is a super herb.

I also really like bee pollen. Check out this link here http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/10-amazing-health-benefits-of-bee-pollen to read more about it. It is a super food! You can combine your daily serving, 1 tablespoon, with anything. I like to put mine in my cereal or on top of yogurt. It has a bit of a bitter taste but is easily hidden by most other foods.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#262 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

CocoBird-I'm sorry you have been falling. That does sound unnerving.  I definitely recommend a chiropractor for the rib pain.  Mine has only been very mild, but I had it for a couple days to where it hurt to breathe and I went to the chiropractor and it felt better.  It also helps when I sleep with a pillow under my belly.  My chiro does the Webster Technique which is just for pregnant folks.  I don't know if it's all because of that, but I have had relatively few pains during this pregnancy so far.  I also do prenatal massage and yoga.  Your shower looked great!  I think the special project your friends did was really sweet.  You should totally start a thread on queer maternity wear!  I would but I don't think I would have much to contribute.  I am one of the rare people who likes maternity clothes.  I have a Facebook page on What to Wear to Your Queer Wedding, and I was thinking maybe there should be one for What to Wear for Your Queer Pregnancy. 

Soto-I'm glad you are getting some assistance with your depression.  It is no joke during pregnancy.  It's hard enough being pregnant without having to deal with depression also.  I hope DW is feeling better and that you get some good news on the job.

seraf-Happy Birthday to S2!  It doesn't seem like a whole year has passed.  It probably feels longer to you though.

wishin'-I'm sorry DW is so uncomfortable!  I can only imagine at this point.  I am 6 weeks behind her and gradually getting more uncomfortable and grumpy.  Things will change for all of you soon.  Hang in there!  Hugs to DW.

Miss Whiny-pants--I know what you mean about not complaining but I think it's ok to put on the whiny pants now and then.  You can put on your big girl pants when you are ready.  I'm sorry your training is causing you stress.

planet--Congratulations on getting everything official!  It sounds like a pain but now it's one less thing to worry about. Plus, I believe someone said on here recently that your expenses will be tax deductible. 

escher--Congratulations on the heartbeat!  What joy!  I think the Materniti21 test sounds cool.  Much less invasive than some other options.  My health plan doesn't offer it and I didn't pursue it because the other tests looked good.  We did the blood tests in 1st and 2nd trimester and nuchal scan.  I was 37 when I got pregnant so it seemed like a good idea.  All the results came back great and it was a load off our minds.  If the results had been not good, we would have considered additional testing, but neither one of us was comfortable with the miscarriage risk from CVS or amnio. 

sphinxy--How is the second trimester treating you?  I'm glad your test results have been good so far and I hope your anatomy scan is a-ok!  What kind of testing would you consider after that?  I didn't think there was much they do after 20 weeks. 

bigfoof and mrs-- I'm glad everything is moving along smoothly.  Sorry the cookbook didn't work out but I hope you get to write it another time.  Making room and organizing feel so good.  We're having a garage sale tomorrow to get rid of our excess stuff--finally!  Then we can organize the baby room. 

poiyt--Hello and welcome back!

SplashingPuddle-I hope everything is good with you and babe, in the womb or outside as the case may be.

granite-I hope your sleep is getting better.  Taking a class for a while sounds awesome.  Enjoy! 

Cananny and Lisedea--I'm so glad all your boys are doing well and growing big and strong. 

Hello to anyone I missed!  I hope you're all doing well.  It's so nice to have so many people in the group.

AFM--I haven't posted lately because when I think about it, I get overwhelmed and can't do it and then I get further behind.  I'm reading along and thinking of you all.  I'm 33 weeks now and I can't believe how close I am!  I feel much bigger and I have 7 or so more weeks to grow.  The baby was 55th percentile for size at the last ultrasound so that's good.  Not too big, not too small.  I didn't gain any weight at my last appointment which surprised me, but my dr was fine with it.  It's hard to eat very much so I probably lost some of my own weight while the baby grew.  I had my appt last Friday and the baby's heartrate was slightly fast, 170-180.  The dr was concerned so she sent me for a NST.  The baby was super active and moving all over the place, kicking the sensor.  When he was moving his HR went up.  When he rested for a minute, it would go down, but he hardly rested at all.  They said it seemed fine because they could see how much he was moving, and they asked me to come back on Monday.  Monday he was totally chill and he barely moved at all so we were given the a-ok.  On Friday my blood pressure seemed low, 95 over 55, but my doctor said it was fine.  I may have been a little dehydrated and/or hungry.  I tried to drink some water and eat some cashews between my appt and the NST but I don't know if it made a difference or if this had anything to do with why his HR was so high.  My amniotic fluid was fine and the baby is still head down.  I go back in a couple weeks for Group B Strep test and to make sure he's head down still.  Any tips for proactive Group B Strep preparation? 

This weekend we are having a garage sale to make some space and then we are going to put together the rest of the baby furniture and work on organizing the room.  We had our shower a couple weeks ago and we had a really nice time.  I will post some pictures when I get home.  A few of our friends couldn't make it because they were out of town, but the group we had was great.  We've been really busy with all the preparations.  DW made a calendar of everything we need to do and all our weekends are booked.  I'm looking forward to maternity leave.  I just need to pin down the date and finish training my backup folks.  I haven't missed any work during my pregnancy because I wasn't feeling well so I think I deserve to leave a few days early.  I'm getting gradually more uncomfortable and grumpy.  I sleep pretty well but I still wake up tired and feel foggy often during the day.  I feel like my brain is moving more slowly. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#263 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 PM

pokey--i'm sure prenatal yoga and massage do make a difference! I'm trying to do more prenatal yoga (via youtube) lately. Your queer wedding page sounds cool, I struggled with figuring out what to wear to my own, but we ended up having an absolutely magical wedding. There should totally be a page/thread for What to Wear for Your Queer Pregnancy. :) Maybe I will take some fashion pics and start a thread here, haha. I am just ahead of you pregnancy-wise! 34 weeks :) I do the Group B strep test next week. Talked to the midwife about it today, sounds like no big deal. They have us swab ourselves at the birth center.

#264 of 601 Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM

On GBS- you can google lots of herbal treatments. If what you want is to pass the test, douche beforehand with Hibiclens diluted in warm water. Do your research before you take the test- if you're fine with the antibiotics in labor, no worries. If you know that you'll decline them, I highly recommend either refusing the test, or doing the Hibiclens thing ahead of time. Once you have a positive GBS on your chart, the hospital will get very cranky if you decline the abx, and may make it harder for you to leave, want to do extra testing, etc.

FWIW, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't take the ABX if you're positive, just that if you know you'll declIne anyway, it will behoove you to not have a positive result anywhere. Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#265 of 601 Old 05-04-2013, 03:43 PM

pokey, knitting tigers, UGH. Now that I have read more about the Group B Strep Test, I am not so sure about it! confused.gif Of course I want to do the safest thing for the baby, but what that is is not clear. I feel the same way about vaccines!! Here is a blogpost I found about the strep test: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/to-strep-b-or-not-to-strep-b-that-is/ and some info here: http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html But I really want to find the most legitimate information. It sounds like something I might want to just refuse. While reading about this, I found some information about the synthetic Vitamin K shot that they give to all newborns that does not sound so great either...gaaaah! And then that gets into the whole vaccine debate...I'm super overwhelmed.

#266 of 601 Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM

That second article that I posted is very informative, and they provide a works cited, showing that their information comes from legitimate scientific sources.

#267 of 601 Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Coco, part of it depends on your care providers. My midwives didn't care if I refused the GBS test, they were willing to watch for symptoms. The OBs I saw said it was hospital policy to give IV antibiotics to any baby who didn't have a negative and mom hadn't had antibiotics in labor. So I tested. On Vit K, our baby who had a vacuum extraction and cord cut before he made it out of the birth canal got it but the other 3 skipped it. We had no issues with their PKUs or S's tongue tie clipping without it.

#268 of 601 Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 AM

Just a thought...

I've noticed a few members posting recently that they are having trouble keeping up with the thread, and I count myself among them. We have a LOT of people on here right now. What do you all think about splitting the Pregnant and Parenting into their own separate threads? People who want to could of course post in both (as some of us still do with the QC thread), but I think it might help group together some of the dialogue into more manageable chunks.

#269 of 601 Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM

I think this has been tried before, but I just started a new thread for families who graduate from Q&Pregnant.

#270 of 601 Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Can I ask how long it took you all to feel your babies move? If you've had multiple pregnancies, I guess I'm only asking about the first, cause I think subsequent pregnancies usually feel movement quicker than firsts...

Tags
Birth , Pregnancy , Lgbtq

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page