Queer, Pregnant, & Parenting - April, May & June 2013! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 601 Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome queer, pregnant, and parenting folks!

This is the springtime thread, for the months of April, May & June in 2013.

If you want to be added, just post in bold with your due date. Also, if you have recently had your babe(s), please chime in with the name and birth date in bold. If your information is not correct or has changed, please also post in bold so that I can get it corrected!!

Pregnant - Due Dates

June 2013
erinTNgirl
Outdoorsy

August 2013
Carmen358, EDD 8/7/2013

September 2013
mrsandmrs & Bigfoot, EDD 9/6/2013 (twins!)
esenbee, EDD 9/20/2013 (twins!)

October 2013
Sphinxy, EDD 10/10/2013

November 2013
poiyt
granite, EDD 11/5/2013
escher, EDD 11/24/2013
baby.fatty, EDD 11/30/2013
sotohana, EDD 11/25/2013

February 2014
gamitzer

Graduates
Tourneymama, Anakin, born 6/27/13
PokeyAC, Charlie Vaughn, born 6/26/13
CocoBird, Amadora Charlotte, born 6/21/13
easttowest, Nathaniel, born 6/18/13
Cordelia15, baby girl, born 6/11/13
wishin'&hopin', baby boy, born 5/12/13
SplashingPuddle, baby girl, born 5/2/13
KnittingTigers, Theron River & Jane Sofia, born 4/27/13
lisedea, Sawyer, Elliott, & Miles, born 3/24/13
Cananny, August, Gage & Finn, born 2/24/13
KateAdele, baby girl, born 12/12
Nosreves, Elio Sol, 12/5/12 - 12/6/12
MidwifeStephPDX, Lucie Rain, born 10/25/12
Planet, Wylie Blue, born 9/9/12
DesertSunsets, Everleigh Jane, born 9/1/12
dandylez, Adair Seamus, born 6/28/12
KSDoulaMama, surro-babe, born 6/27/12
SwtRainbowBrite, Riley Sophia, born 6/25/12
PleasantlyFurious, Zoe Aurora, born 6/22/12
SmilingSara & Seraf, Soren Dare, born 5/2/12
PrettyIsa, Edith Josephine, born 4/18/12
Ad Astra, boy/girl twins, born 4/11/12
Onemommyonemama, Sage S., born 3/21/12
Qmama42, baby girl, born 1/18/12
Indigo, baby girl A, born 1/8/12
CrystalPerez, Cohen Anthony, born 12/12/11
glassesgirlnj, Annamaria Sigyn Estelle, born 11/28/11
Mami2mami, Layla Janae, born 11/22/11
DAWNMP1, Raya Sylvan, born 11/10/11
2ezforyou, Jagger Stone, born 11/2/11
Seraf & SmilingSara, Shay Brock, born 11/1/11
Escher, baby boy, born 10/24/11
Julietea, Rowan Kathryn, born 10/16/11
Starling&Diesel, Hawksley Solace, born 10/2/11
AmyPDX, Alexander Cole, born 8/7/11
AmandaHope, Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11
Pigirl, baby boy, born 7/22/11
Mizyellow, Harrison, born 7/20/11
Painefaria, Keegan, born 5/23/11
Cejae, Emmerson & Parker, born 5/22/11
Imogenlily, Soloman Dov, born 5/3/11
2HappyMamas, baby, born 4/16/11
Bttrflygypsy, Elliot Graham, born 4/15/11
LibraryLady, Alice Meredith, born 4/8/11
Wehrli & jenmostoften, Silas Scott, born 4/4/11
Gumshoegirl007, Addison Alexis Réal, born 3/24/11
Beastie, Esther, born 3/13/11
Burg, Reed Kylie, born 2/05/11
Korey, baby girl T, born 1/30/11
Coco99, Chloe & Charlie, born 1/30/11
Abeecharmer, twin girls, born 1/10/11

Recovering from Losses, Held in Our Hearts candle.gif
MaxK
NZmumof2
TineyDreams
nosreves
Kgulbransen
Fivegrandbaby

[NOTE: Any EDDs over a month old without a birth announcement will be deleted]

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#2 of 601 Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the new thread, granite  smile.gif

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#3 of 601 Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

What a sparkly new thread! Thanks, Granite ... dust.gif

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#4 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Thank you Granite!  And, ack!!!!  May is CLOSE!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#5 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

:)

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#6 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Thanks for the shiny new thread!

knittingtigers and wishin'&hopin'--You're next!  No rush though.  We can wait.

Funny story RE how expensive our babies can be--We saw a crib yesterday at a baby store called "Million Dollar Baby."  We both cracked up.  It was only $199 though so it could be a contender.  It would make a nice little joke for years to come.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the new thread, Granite!

Wishin: May IS close!

Pokey: 199 isn't bad for a crib, but that's a funny name!

AFM: Ultrasound went well today. The blob was measuring about the right size and had a healthy heartbeat (which we could even see on a transabdominal ultrasound--I was surprised that was possible at 6 weeks 2 days). There is a fairly large (6cm) cyst on her right ovary, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue with the pregnancy, just something to keep an eye on in general. We're not sure when we're going to start telling people, but we're going to order one of those "I'm going to be a big brother" shirts so we'll be ready whenever we want to start telling. So far so good!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#8 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Oh good! I'm relieved all went well today, Escher. I've been thinking of you two all morning.

DW (39) and I (32) have been married since October 2010. We have been kitty mommies to Georgio cat.gif and Bella cat.gif for a while now, but we're now real mommies to one beautiful little girl babygirl.gif, Olivia Grace, born 11/19/13 at 5:56am.
#9 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Great news, escher!  energy.gif

#10 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the new thread Granite!

AFM.. spent Saturday in L&D after a big bleed out of nowhere.  They ran every test they can think of (and probed everything they could think of) but could not find anything wrong, and oddly NO trace of blood anywhere.. I seriously thought if they had not seen all the blood stains (sorry TMI)  they would not have believed me. I seriously had a moment where I thought I was going to have the baby that day.  I also had a lot of cramping and mild mild contractions but everything seems to have settled down, except perhaps my anxiety. . I def need baby girl to stay in there a lot longer so just trying to take things day by day. . 

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#11 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Escher, yay! Does anyone know you were trying IRL?

Cordelia, how frightening! Did they culture your cervix? Sara had mid pregnancy bleeding from an infection.

Granite, nice thread, thanks.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#12 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM

OH MY GOD, I'M UP NEXT! Yikes!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#13 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM

Tiger, you are next!

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#14 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

OH MY GOD, I'M UP NEXT! Yikes!

yes your ARE!!!!!!!!!!! 

seraf.. I think so. . i feel like they tested everything. . I know they did a swab of cervix the FNS?? to test for pre-labor enzymes and tested for UTI  but I don't know if they tested for infection too?  Maybe something to ask my ob. . thanks. . 

#15 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Somehow this shiny new thread makes me feel less bad about being behind while we have been traveling after I had been working 50 hour weeks. Thanks, Granite!

Cordelia - how scary about the bleeding. Sounds like everything is okay, though.

Knitting Tigers - you are SO up next! Whoa, amazing.

Lise - I already gushed over your trio on FB, but I have to gush more here. They are so adorable. I suppose you can already tell them apart but in the photo you shared they look a lot alike! Love the names.

Pokey - fingers crossed for good ultrasound results!

AFU:

DW and the twin belly in front of the Supreme Court!

The belly is looking pretty epic, even when sitting down and a little squished. The babies are really active, which is reassuring. Most of the time if I talk directly to her belly they respond with kicks, which is adorable. We hired a doula who also includes birthing classes in her sliding scale fee and made us feel really good about the idea of taking a doula along to a hospital birth. She also gave us some good ideas about possibly transferring care to a different OB and hospital, although we haven't made an appointment for a consultation yet. I was just so unimpressed by our last OB visit. Our big ultrasound is in a week! Things are going so fast! The teenager and I were walking to get dinner earlier, and talked about how this is our last big trip as a family of three. No matter how much we focus on the pregnancy, it is still hard to understand that this is really happening for all of us.

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
#16 of 601 Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the shiny new thread! 

Hello ....

yay for heartbeat Esher .. We were 6 w3 when we saw 3 strong heartbeats.... It was crazy cool :)

knitting ... Sooo close do u have their names picked out ? Is dd excited?

cordelia.. So scary but glad things seem to be ok

bigfoot... Cute baby bump on the mrs ... How's Your son adjusting to the babies?

afm....boys are 5.5 weeks old and growing ..,August is over 7 lbs ... gage is 5lbs 11 oz and Finn is 5 lbs 5 oz

Gage has alot of issues with reflux and he's not tolerating formula well he's on a super hypo allergenic one and still puking ... He does get 80% breast milk .. Thank god for donor mama milk as I am still only getting 2-3 oz a day ! I'm worried when/if we run out if having enough breast milk :( I've tried everything and then some to get more milk .. on the plus gage is nursing at least 1-2 x day and August nurses 1 x day if I can get him calm enough ... Finn is hit or miss ....

i am soo in love with my boys ! I love being a mama !!!! It's crazy how protective I am over them even with Dp ... 

Wish us luck because my mom arrives tomorrow for 6-8 weeks ... Though nice to have xtra hands I'm nervous about how we will get along :/

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#17 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 AM

Cordelia: How scary! I'm sorry that happened. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes very smoothly.

Seraf: Four people outside of MDC (and who are not medical professionals) know about the pregnancy, but most people have no idea we were trying.

Knitting: Wow! Up next! How exciting!

Bigfoot: What a fantastic belly. Your doula sounds great.

Cananny: I'm glad that you're loving your boys so much. I'm sorry Gage is having so much reflux.

We're trying to decide where to give birth, and I would love to hear people's thoughts or advice. We had a planned homebirth with our son that ended up being a very long labor, an ambulance transfer, and a c-section. We're contemplating working with the same midwives again, and we would love to just stay home, especially since it would mean less time away from our son. At the same time, our experience last time and the reading we have done since then has made us more nervous about risks in birth. Hospital births have some scary risks (infections from hospital germs, unnecessary interventions, etc.), but it also scares us to think about one of the unlikely big emergencies happening while we are at home. Laboring in a hospital is unappealing, and having to stay there for at least 24 hours after birth even if everyone is perfectly healthy is even less appealing. But it is nice that if we were at a hospital we would have interventions available if needed. Both options we are considering would be with midwives (CNMs with many years of experience and excellent reputations in the community), and both practices are strongly committed to natural birth. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#18 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the new thread, granite!

Wow, so many congratulations are in order for Lisedea! Your boys are beautiful. So happy for you!

Looking good, m&m and bigfoot! I hope the trip treated you well. Good luck next week!

Cordelia, I can't even imagine how much I would be freaking out. So happy for you that it looks to be nothing.

Did I miss the results of your placenta check-up, pokey? I hope things are where they should be! Fingers crossed for you. 

Cananny, just so happy for you. Sounds like you are doing a great job! I hope Gage starts feeling better soon, and good luck with your mom!

Wow, Tigers - 1 more month! Eek! How are you feeling?

Sorry if I missed anyone. Well, I made it through the first trimester - hooray! I'm ready to start feeling those amazing second trimester endorphins now! Last week was all about recovering from my vacation induced exhaustion, and by the end of the week I was feeling pretty good. Then we drove a total of 12 hours over the weekend to visit my in-laws and I got tired all over again. I also got a little bit of un-welcome pressure from my in-laws that I'm still chewing on in my head. FIL wants me to make sure I listen to classical music while pregnant to support baby's brain development, MIL wants me to commit to letting them baby sit a lot more than I'm comfortable with, and MIL has started touching my stomach without asking. I'm barely showing at 13 weeks and when she touched me the first time, above the navel, I was like "well, that's probably my actual stomach and other organs, because the baby is still down here [pointing in direction of my uterus]". We don't argue or anything but I'm not super close to them, the relationship has it's messy complications of course, and I'm trying for DW's sake and the sake of our kids having a good relationship with them, but it's really not easy. We're just very different people I guess. Also, a few different people in our lives have started to express sex and gender preferences for our baby. What the hell? Maybe it's just because I have zero hopes or expectations in that regard, but I'm finding it really annoying when other people do. 

ETA - escher, I almost missed your post. Tough call and you need to do what feels right to you. If it were me, I would probably go with the hospital, since it sounds like you would still have access there to the natural birth midwives, but it would eliminate from the equation any anxiety about "what if we need to transfer to a hospital". Good luck weighing your options!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#19 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

Just dropping quickly to say congraulations to Lisedea!  What a beautiful wee triumvirate you have there!  

And Carmen, I am so delighted to hear that your ultrasound went well.  Does S have any interesting name suggestions?  

And Escher, I thought I'd pipe in as another mama who had a planned-homebirth-turned-emergency-transfer-with-c-section:

My idea of what an ideal birth is hasn't changed.  I would still love to birth at home.  What has changed is my understanding that babies come how they need to, not how I want them to.

Both my births were 'supposed' to be homebirths, and neither one was.  Risked out with pre-e for my first (had a natural birth in hospital with midwives) and then the emergency section with my second.

If I were to be pregnant again (about as unlikely as my becoming an astronaut, so this is all theoretical) I'd till plan for a homebirth, but I'd be prepared to go to the hospital.  As in, if I felt like going to the hospital because my gut told me to, I'd go.  If my midwive told me it was time to go, I'd go.  If I simply changed my mind and wanted to be at the hospital, I'd go.

Having had a natural, vaginal birth and a c-section, I'd pick the vaginal birth as a first choice by far. 

C-sections suck.

I'd still go with the same midiwfery team that I had for both pregnancies.  

However, I'd be aware that my baby is who decides how the birth with progress.  No one else does.  

As I said, all theoretical, but I've thought about it a lot, and while I'm disillusioned about homebirth, it remaines my ideal.

Take care, hon!

Hello to everyone else!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#20 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Cordelia, I am glad everything is alright, although I am sorry you had to go through such a scary experience.  Keep that baby in there for another two months!

Knitting, can't wait to see your babies, although you should also work on keeping them as long as possible!  :)

Cananny, glad the babies are doing well, and hope Gage does better soon.

AFU, we went to our first birthing class at the hospital yesterday.  It was very nice that there were so many "non-normative" families there, although it was definitely a bit much for me.  We have three more to go, though, and I'm looking forward to getting something out of it.  If nothing else, it was good to see a video of the entire labor process, since I have never experienced it and have no idea how it's going to go.  It was definitely a "oh crap, we have to do that" kind of thing (although I think my wife would correct me to say SHE has to do that, I don't really have to do much at all).  Even though we set up the nursery and are pretty much done with baby prep, it still hasn't quite hit me that in less than three months THERE WILL BE A BABY.  I'll get there.  We're also already talking about baby 2, because that's how we roll (we're into preparing).  Her sister is less than a year younger than her, so it feels like all this pressure to be thinking about it IMMEDIATELY, since clearly her mother got pregnant three months after birthing her (and it would take us more than three months just to figure out the logistics again).  I would love to have babies a year apart, but that is probably not in the cards for us.

Hope everyone (and your partners) are well! 

#21 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 AM

cordelia, how scary! How are you doing now? hug2.gif How far along are you (sorry, I forgot)?

Knitting, yes, yes you are joy.gif

bigfoot, nice photo! Are you going to find out the sex of the babies?

Cananny, sorry to hear Gage isn't tolerating the formula well :( Good for you for continuing to give them breast milk as much as possible! You are doing an awesome job, mama!

escher: My DD was born at home and it was a really amazing, wonderful experience. However, I was open to the possibility that we may have ended up in the hospital. I'm honestly not sure how I would feel about a home birth if I had had a c-section or complicated birth the first time around....I just don't have a frame of reference to imagine it. What I would suggest is to go with what you are 100% comfortable with....no matter what that looks like. Trust your instincts and you will have the birth you and your baby are meant to have.

Sphinxy, congrats on reaching the 2nd trimester! A very exciting milestone smile.gif Sorry to hear about your in-laws wearing you out. It sounds like they live quite far away though...maybe a good thing? Neither my DP nor I have living parents so we haven't had to deal with pressure from grandparents but we also miss out on having support and love from grandparents! 

starling, DD had a couple of ideas early on...Elliot or Crocodile. Elliot because a friend had just named her son that. Not sure where crocodile came from. We already have names picked out for a boy or girl but we haven't shared them with her smile.gif My DP saw you and the kiddos the other day but she was driving by and couldn't stop!

Afm: Oh my, I'm living in chaos it seems. I'm enjoying it but there is SO much to do!! We're living in the new house now but with the existing furniture here....I miss our bed and our living room here is empty (we do have a family room type thing set up though and it's cozy). It's very strange to have so much space....we literally have several empty rooms both upstairs and downstairs! DD has settled in and I'm happy about that.

I leave for Japan on Saturday and am getting anxious and excited about it!! Not excited about being on a plane for 10 hours but I'm hoping I can sleep most of the way. I did pay extra for a "premium" bulkhead seat so I have lots of leg room...unfortunately I didn't ask for business class funding from work - I didn't think I would get approval to go if I had. I will be very envious of those with bed seats.

Baby is super active every day which is really comforting. I swear I look about 7 months pregnant. I'm feeling good though smile.gif

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#22 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM

thanks all!

escher. . so hard!  I planned a natural birth (though not home) with my first and of course everything went drastically wrong and I ended up with a c-section.  I have been struggling SO much with what to do with this one.  I had such a hard recovery from laboring and pushing and then the c-section I am so scared to try and fail again but really would love to avoid a c-section. My step sisterh had a v-bac at home birth and was so happy with hers.  I am hoping to go into labor on my own and stay at home as long as possible and then go to hospital but after my last scare have come to the point that if they just took her out at 38 weeks even,I swear I wouldn't care, I just want to have her safe! If you trust your whole team, I think you should still go for home if you feel safe there but just trust your gut!  Does your hospital have a birthing center that would be any type of compromise?  one other thought. . if you do go to a hospital, and everything goes smoothly, will you regret not trying at home?  Was anything in your first birth something like is likely to happen again or was it just a freak thing?  

cananny.  I can't believe how old your boys are already!  and good luck with the mom visit! 

sphinxy. . congrats on finishing the first trimester!! weird people have opinions about the sex. .Inever got that, like what is it to them? my good friend's mom basically told her she would be super disappointed if she has a boy! and I just thought WTF she hasn't even been able to get pregnant yet, just be happy if she has a healthy baby, who would say that?!  

bigfoot.. the belly looks awesome!  

#23 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

escher - our first was a planned homebirth transfer emergency c section. sage's was home birth. We were more concerned with home birth risks the second time also. .

What helped me decide - I went through each of the big scenarios with my midwifes and asked about what they would do at home, vs hospital. THey were clear and we discussed new thoughts and questions for a few appointments. I learned that:

-  at night in our city the pediatrician is often not in the hospital so needs to be paged in (15-30 minute time).

-  We live 5-10 minutes away from a hospital.

- in our city we have an ambulance team that can do infant intubation (which was the only breathing measure our midwives could not do)

- the midwives explained how they would get as much as they could ready while waiting for the ambulance (IVs, ect...)

- they showed us all the equipment they had and what they were able to do with it, and what they weren't able to do with it.

- we went through the drugs they have, etc... for hemorage, etc.

- I asked them what scenarios they had dealt with in the past, their last training, etc...

- I read through stats, etc.

I am a person who needs to know the details and this helped. The midwives were really happy to spend several appointments answering questions. In Ontario our midwives belong to a college, so they are trained and have a set way of doing things - policy, etc... so knowing the details of that was also helpful, as well as their stats in this area.

In the end I felt comfortable with home birth because the time span to manage the big situations in our city, in our situation, was a risk that we were comfortable with. It helped that both our midwives were the top emergency trainers for the region :)

I liked that we had already had a hospital experience - which was stressful and traumatic but also awesome  - but because we had had it, we knew what to expect and the pros (someone makes your food, set visiting hours to give us space, laundry, etc...). So there was less hesitation or feeling of failure if we ended up there. Both options felt doable and fine.

Homebirth was wonderful. THe pros - it was really great to labour at home. I laboured really freely that way. We only can have birthing tubs at home so that was a huge draw for me. I would have chosen an epidural in a hospital and was happy to have not had the option at home for this birth. I did hemorage, and was impressed with the protocol the midwives used. They did not take any risks. One midwife had the phone in their hand, the other caring for me was waiting and watching output and they had a set limit that they were not interested in playing around with. If I reached it, I was going into the hospital. THey would start the IV line while hte ambulence came. And give me all the drugs necessary in the mean time. So it was reassuring. I loved just heading to my shower, and heading to bed and napping in a bed big enough for my wife and babe. We stayed there for like a week and it was great. The cons - one family member arrived unannounced just when our daughter was coming home just hours after the birth. we wanted her to be the first to meet the baby and DID NOT WANT people to come uninvited!!! another con- my partner after the birth felt akward. Like she wanted to be sitting watching me feed the baby, but that she should also make people coffee, etc... So next time we will have that mroe sorted so she can just be, nto feel like a host. another con - the laundry and mess start right away. My partner did more in the first few days to suport us then I did supporting her in the hospital.

You could ask your midwives how late you can transfer (non-emergent). OUr midwives were comfortable with waiting until 7-8cm depending on how fast labour was moving. You might be able to choose to be at home to labour and move just for birthing?

For both our births we didn't tell people we were preparing for either, but chose the third option "Choose in labour". THis option was available on all the forms we filled out, etc... I like it because there isn't a set expectation or choice.

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#24 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Escher—yay for a strong heartbeat! How far is your house from the hospital? I think that would figure into my decision quite a bit. Good luck in making up your mind!

Sphinxy—how did you not just smack her hand away? I’d have a hard time about that. Family relationships can be so strange at times.

Cordelia—How scary! How are you feeling now? I hope that it was just a one-time thing, and nothing serious!

Bigfoot/Mrs—what a great picture! Glad they’re being active in there! I really appreciated having our doula with us at the hospital—even though there were brief periods of time where it seemed silly there were moments when it was just really helpful to have the extra support, even after the birth being able to go over it with another person who was there but not as emotionally invested as DP and I were.

Cananny—glad things are going well! They are just so cute!

E2W—if you want to see more labor videos, youtube is the place to be! I found them really soothing to watch right before delivery, mostly because seeing a range of different births made me feel like if mine didn’t go exactly the way I planned it would still fall into the range of a ‘normal’ experience.

Carmen—maybe if they have an empty seat up there you can pull the pregnancy card and see if they’d let you sneak forward on the plane? I hope so! In any case, Japan is going to be such an awesome trip! I can’t remember—have you been there before?

AFM—it’s been a sad, hectic few days. On Friday DP’s grandmother died. Luckily we were already headed down to Florida for a friend’s wedding, so we were able to be there for the funeral on Monday. And then yesterday as we were heading home I heard the news that my aunt died, as well. So now we’re trying to make arrangements to get to Indiana this weekend for her memorial. Neither death was shocking, but both are deeply sad, of course. That all coupled with it being the time all of my work deadlines are coming due is making life pretty stressful. Edie is a real bright spot—she’s just barely walking, and has started becoming very attached to two of her stuffed animals, which is adorable.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#25 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Cordelia-I'm glad everything is ok!  That must have been very scary.  I'm sorry they don't have an explanation.  That would bother me.

Everyone else-Hello!  I have to run, but I wanted to give a quick update.  The nurse called me from my OB's office and said everything was normal on my ultrasound.  My placenta has moved!  joy.gif  We are both very relieved.  I really didn't want to have a c-section or have to have the baby early.  Now I need to get more serious about preparing for a vaginal birth.  Not that I wasn't before, but I am a horrible procrastinator.  I keep trying to read Birthing from Within on my Kindle, but solitaire is so much more fun.  Thank you to everyone who sent placenta moving vibes my way!

#26 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM

Yay, Pokey!! thumb.gif So happy for you - what a relief!

Prettyisa - Oh, how I wish had the kind of relationship with her where I felt comfortable doing that. Maybe by the end of this pregnancy I will winky.gif. Sorry to hear about the losses in your family. Keep hugging that babe!

carmen - Yes, the distance is a very good thing, though it also gets held over my head at times because it means we see them less often (especially in comparison to my much closer parents). What they aren't willing to admit is that the frequency of visits is just as much their choice as it is ours. Anyway, I digress... Have a great time on your trip! I so hope that someone throws you an upgrade for your seat!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#27 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Glad to hear it pokey!! smile.gif Must be a huge relief.
#28 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Escher, yay for a heartbeat! Congrats. And my first birth was with a hospital CNM group - and as much as I was really happy with our experience and care, it was very different from being at home. You also might have more information to make your decision as the pregnancy continues - for instance, if any risk factors develop that could totally change your plan. Is it important for you to have the same midwives for all the routine appointments early on as for the end of the pregnancy and the birth?

Lisedea, congrats! Gorgeous.

Cordelia, how terrifying. So glad things are ok and hoping things are uneventful for a while.

Carmen, yay for a good ultrasound! And just as an aside, I spent 2 weeks in Japan early on in my pregnancy with my son - it was a trip I was leading for my school, and we had home stays and such..OMG I cannot describe how horrifying typical Japanese breakfast is when you have morning sickness. Salmon and seaweed at 7 am?? It was like a cruel joke. That said, that trip was just at this time of year and it was an amazing trip - we were in Kobe and Osaka.

Cananny, reflux blows. Literally. I hope it's just a short-lived thing and that you're able to manage milk for your 3! It's hard enough with 1...

Prettyisa, so sorry for your losses.

easttowest, we were talking about #2 before #1 got here too! Planners indeed.

sphinxy, the gender crap random people think is ok to apply to babies (and fetuses!) drives me INSANE. And that belly business with your MIL is SO not ok. Please!!

AFM, I am SO TIRED. like, trying not to fall asleep at the wheel during my afternoon commute tired. How long does this last??? I can't remember and I don't remember being so bone crushingly exhausted at 6 weeks before... Maybe that is a good sign? Dunno. Still not really nauseous, which makes me simultaneously happy and nervous.

mama to Hank - 12/09/09

#29 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the solidarity, baby.fatty. And yes, I had the absolutely crushing exhaustion around week six, straight through until about week 10ish. It's still comes back now after 13 weeks, but not every day and not usually as bad. 

#30 of 601 Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Cordelia- I'm so glad all turned out well! That sounds really scary!

Everyone - I have questions about your GTT. I took my 1 hour today and failed with 150. I really did not want to take it at all, but I was afraid my doc would fire me if I refused. So now I have to take the 3 hour on Friday. I just don't understand how it could be so high. I have a pretty strict diet as it is (vegan), and I exercise on a regular basis. The last thing I want to do is take insulin shots. I just wish I could have seen a midwife and not an OB from the beginning, but DP insisted we see an OB. Has anyone had a positive first test or even a positive second test? Any advice? I am really discouraged and depressed now. You try so hard you know to do the best for your baby...greensad.gif

Hope everyone is doing well! Congrats Lise!! Miles is on our short list of names...I just love it!

Tags
Birth , Pregnancy , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page