DD (12) and DS our special needs baby (4) placed 03-01-10
Our furbaby dog2.gif Bella (Yorkie) 

Layla Janae 11/22/11 

ds2(8mos)placed 08-o3-2012
#272 of 589 Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miami, you are likely the only one in a situation to find it as amusing as I do. Our boys don't really fight yet. They wrestle and laugh, fortunately. S feels the need to smack me more than anyone else.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#273 of 589 Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM

esenbee2- Thank you for the bottle recommendations! I got the Lansinoh Momma and the Tommee Tippee bottles, but they are both way faster in flow than I would have liked. I completely cut out bottles for a while, so we can get the bf thing down, which seems to be helping.

maxK- Thank you for the SNS offer! Your little one is adorable!! We are starting to get a better latch now (2 weeks later).

pokey- Bath time pic is so sweet! Love the bucket! We have the flower that goes in the sink, which is pretty sweet, too. Side-lying is working better now but only on the left side??

QOTW: My DP and I both wanted to carry originally, but I was more gung-ho than she was. We actually both attempted to inseminate last year, but I was the successful one. Now that I have had DS, she sees how difficult it was for me, and she is thinking twice about carrying next...

seraf- Your boys are really sweet!!

AFU: BFing is going a little better. Everyday is different. I started using the nipple shells again to protect them in between feedings. I've also seen the LC again, and it really helped. My town does not show up on the LLL website, so I am going to call the LC back tomorrow to find out the location and times for meetings. The biggest problem now is how sore they get after feedings. I was worried about vasospasm or thrush, but the symptoms do not match up. I'm hoping everyday will continue to get better...time time time!!! On a good note, DS is growing so fast, which means he is getting enough to eat.

#274 of 589 Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM

such cute pics erin!

answer to a QOTD a little bit back about sillyness...  this morning DD randomly started talking about Halloween.  She said she was going to be "a cracker."  When I asked her about it, she said "A cheese cracker cuz I love them so much!  And it's going to be made out of cheese crackers so when I get home, I can eat it!  Cheese crackers are my favorite!"  I just found that to be so cute, lol!

Lately, I've been really surprised by DD and how well she been handling disappointment these past 3 days.  Saturday and Sunday, she did so well in the stores when she asked for something she saw and I said no.  She just said, "Okay, Mommy, I'll put it back."  And this morning she wanted the breakfast rice that my mother-in-law and I fix all the time.  When I told her that I didn't have the rice ready and we could have it tomorrow morning, she just said okay.  Normally I would have gotten told that I needed to make it NOW and a huge fit and crying and tears and a broken little heart....  I sure hope this new outlook she has on life will last!

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#275 of 589 Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Wow, hard to believe I'm writing here with an eight day old DS update! He's doing great, is super chill (so far), surpassed his birth weight at 6 days and is super sweet :) We had to do a couple of post partum visits back to the hospital to have his bilirubin tested but it started going down the last test so we avoided the light therapy....which we had to do with DD and it sucked. He is starting to have some alert time during the day which is super fun. DD would not tolerate being laid down for longer than a few minutes for the first 3 weeks or so of her life but this little guy will sleep between us in bed for a couple of hours or an hour here and there. It's making the transition a bit easier for sure. DD is adjusting fairly well but is going to bed way too late and a bit cranky in the late afternoons as a result. DP's brother and sister in law are in from out of town this weekend though and they brought her her first 2 wheel pedal bike so she's in heaven with the new bike and the  extra people to chat with.

I'm doing fairly well, my tear is healing well and I just started taking my placenta capsules today. One thing I'm struggling with a bit is DS's latch on the right breast. I'm guessing I have a strong let down and he slightly pulls back and then clamps down again and holy crap it hurts :( So far I've been just unlatching him every time he does it and relatching him again but my nipple on that side is getting crazy sore. He doesn't do it (as much) on the left side. My doula is coming for a post partum visit on Tuesday so I'll ask for her advice as well but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#276 of 589 Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM

Hello

Back from our very long and enjoyable trip to AZ.. it was 11 days without DP and I am tired... LOL... the boys were awful on drive down . we left at their bed time.. and spent about 5 hours crying off and on.. it was hard... now on way home ( day time) was MUCH better.. they slept and rarely cried... go figure.. I had fun intoducing them to family and friends.. and we got to meet Desert Sunsets and her DP and their gorgeous daughter Everleigh

The babies are 5.5 months.. time is going by way to fast..  they are so happy and love to play and roll and chew everything in sight.. and drool.. the puddles of drool LOL :)

Carmen congrats again hes adorable!

Max.. OMG AIDEN Is sooooooo cute! I will be calling you guys next week so we can have a baby play date! I cant wait!

Erin.. cute pics.. is you want a really slow nipple go with dr browns preemie.. it has a very slow flow!!!

Knitting.. sleep.. oh i wish All of the boys were sleeping.. so far Aug sleeps 7 hours.. Gage sleeps 6 but ONLY if in bed with us.. and Finn is never consistent.. some nights he can do 6 hours.. some its every 3-4.. we are starting to sleep train but with no CIO... 

Hi to everyone else!!!

here is a few new pix

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#277 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

CaNanny, I'm glad you made it home safely and had a better trip. What are their bracelets about?

#278 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Cananny--so cute! Glad they didn't give you as much trouble on the way home!

Carmen--how's your little punkin doing? I have no good advice on the latch stuff, but I hope that you and your LC have figured it out!

Erin--so sweet! My DP never takes pictures unless I tell her to, so there will never be one of me sleeping, which I guess is both good and bad.

AFM--Edie seems to be having a really hard time going to bed lately. Does anyone have a nighttime routine that works well? What we do now is give her a bottle and try to rock her, which used to work wonderfully, but now she goes to sleep (or almost to sleep) in our arms and as soon as we put her down and close the door she is up and crying. Repeat for up to 2 hours. Any advice?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#279 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Isa: I don't have any advice about a bedtime routine, but I'm sorry it is hard right now. Is Edie still taking two naps a day? Our bedtime got much easier when we switched from two naps to one, but I don't know if that is common.

Cananny: They are adorable! I'm glad that your trip went well overall.

Carmen: I still feel so happy for you to have DS. It's satisfying when a challenging TTC process ends with an adorable baby. Is nursing getting easier?

Esenbee: Your DD sounds darling. You're getting close to meeting your new little ones!

Erin: Great pictures!

Max: How are things going?

Seraf: Does having two walking toddlers make you or S want another baby? orngtongue.gif

Wishin: Three year olds always seem hard, but I'm sorry that is really how it is. How are you all doing?

AFM: We've given up on night weaning for right now. In some ways it is frustrating (we went through the process, and we didn't nurse at night for a whole month, and it feels like wasted work). But it ended up feeling like we had too much going on in our life (most notably, we recently moved), and our son was waking up over and over at night crying and asking to nurse, and he was extra clingy during the day, and it just didn't seem worth it. So we've started freely nursing again whenever he asks at night, and he is much happier at night and seems to feel more independent and secure during the day. So I guess it was the right choice? I don't want to nurse him at night forever, and the idea of him still nursing multiple times a night when the new baby comes is not appealing, but I also don't want to re-attempt night weaning right away OR too close to when the new baby comes. Any thoughts/stories/advice?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#280 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Isa, I think summers are just hard. No advice. My boys alternate between 8:30 and 11 pm bedtimes. Sometimes 8:30 is just a nap. My horrible new bedtime routine (when Sara's at work and I have to put them both to bed and S is having intense itching issues) is that they brush teeth, go potty and we lay in bed together and watch an episode of Elmo's world and nurse in the dark. Then sleep.

Escher, it's crazy having two toddlers. They're fast. Soren is at a strange place for me where his intellect, ability and age don't line up. He is old enough to listen on most things, but he's a new walker and will wander off where the other kids didn't so that by his age. They both take off now. Today at the park they went opposite directions. No one could call me a helicopter mom. S was 40 feet away (and several feet high) and S2 20 feet the other way. We won't be TTC anytime soon because of finances. I'm sorry your night weaning experiment feels like failure. On the bright side, if you have lots of milk at night, when the baby comes you could actually let your DW sleep for a span (after her milk is well established, obviously).

#281 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM

cananny -your boys are SOOOOOO adorable!  Are "Thing 2" and "Thing 3" identical?

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#282 of 589 Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Seraf the bracelets are something DP wanted. its part of the mexican heritage ( since they are half and so is she) she had one as a baby so she really wanted them to have one too) I love them!

Esenbee.. no they are not identical but do have some similar features.. Gage has much more Dainty features... where August has a longer face and diff eyes :) Im glad they look like siblings

Isa..so sorry about bed time.. all i can say is be consistent.. and hopefully its a short phase!

So we got a call last week to see if we wanted to take the girls we had before ( the 8 week old and 18 mo old) i guess the aunt lost custody they have been in 2 more foster homes and now they are looking for a perm placement.. as the parents are not doing what they are supposed to be.. and they may terminate their rights.. the girls are 1 and 2.5 right now.. I had a really hard time saying no... because i know we could be the stability they need... dp really wanted us to take them... but the social worker and I really talked and decided now is not the time.. it was sad but the boys need alot of attention and im not sure i could divide my attention between 5 babies!  I just hope they find a stable loving forever family!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#283 of 589 Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM

erinTN- I love the little basket of fur photo. I’ve been looking at a lot of professional photoshoots of babies and trying to replicate them on my own. DP and I use the weekend for baby photoshoots, it’s so fun.

Escher- thank you for checking in. Have you talked to your son about the new baby coming and it’s his turn to be the big brother? I have a friend who just weened their toddler when a new baby came. They actually ended up having the non-nursing parent sleep with the toddler for a while. Good luck navigating that balance.

Cananny- I can’t wait to hang out with you and your boys!

AFU- Aiden is growing bigger every day. He will be 2 months next week. He is the most super chill relaxed baby in the world. I feel a bit guilty sometimes because it’s so easy but then I say, “nah, I deserve this.” joy.gif

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#284 of 589 Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Max, they go through easier and harder times. Enjoy all the easy ones.

#285 of 589 Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Starling, I don't think I've shown you my bike. It's a bunch of scrap bikes and scrap lumber hooked together. It took a few hours of dreaming, a few hours of elbow grease and $26 worth of parts. I was on the fence between this style bike or a sidecar when last you posted about bakfiets and I decided that this was what I really wanted (we have a bike building bug in our house now, so I may build a sidecar, too). The back bike is total scrap. It has 3 functional gears and only 1 brake, but it's flat here and I only go about 5 mph, so the brakes are fine for here. Oh, and the steering is a rake handle, a wire clothes hanger and 2 pieces of innertube. I get a lot of comments riding around town. Nearly all are positive. My recent favorite is, "That's so ghetto it's sick." You don't have to play the video, I just couldn't get the computer to take a still shot.

#286 of 589 Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM

I love it, seraf!!! You're so crafty, good job! I've always wanted a cargo bike, and finally a couple years ago found a used Counterpoint Opus semi-recumbent tandem, which has one person steering in a standard bicycling arrangement, but then a smaller front wheel, above which is a seat where the stoker sits, recumbent style. I removed the "boom" from the front where the stoker's pedals were mounted, replaced the seat with a big bin, and currently use it for hauling stuff around town. My plan for when baby is still too small for the original stoker's seat is to install a narrow rear-facing carseat instead of the bin... I can't find a pic right now, but I've seen folks do this with the Bilenky Cycle Works version of the same frame, and it seems quite safe. I'm *so* looking forward to cycling with my kid! Thanks for sharing about your bike.

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#287 of 589 Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Granite, that sounds awesome. I'm sure you've thought about it, but there could be challenges with putting a helmet on a small baby. Soren started riding at 10 months and had trouble in seats that came high enough to touch his helmet. It forced his chin down. At 10 months he was big enough that it was an annoyance rather than an airway issue. Anyway, I'm excited to see what you come up with.

#288 of 589 Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mami, it has started. Shay is all about pushing Soren over for fun. Soren, for his part, is a little biter.

#289 of 589 Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM

If you're the youngest of four, biting seems like a good way to protect yourself. What does Shay think about being bitten?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#290 of 589 Old 08-19-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Shay doesn't approve. The biting actually seemed to be teething related. He pretty much stopped once his molars popped through. Until S started pushing this week, everyone had been quite gentle with S2.

#291 of 589 Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Granite, that sounds awesome. I'm sure you've thought about it, but there could be challenges with putting a helmet on a small baby. Soren started riding at 10 months and had trouble in seats that came high enough to touch his helmet. It forced his chin down. At 10 months he was big enough that it was an annoyance rather than an airway issue. Anyway, I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Helmets are mandatory here, and so I asked a baby-hauling cyclist friend what she does... And she says that while she bought a special super-narrow infant carseat to put in her bike trailer so that her baby and her toddler could ride in it side by side, she doesn't put a helmet on the baby because the baby's neck isn't strong enough to support the extra weight, even though she's now 10 months old (she's a little one!). As the kids are mostly enclosed within the trailer, my friend has never been hassled by the cops for this, but she thinks I might run into trouble if I had an unhelmeted-baby in an infant carseat secured into my already-very-unusual cargo bike. I might need to be looking for a tiny helmet! Or sewing a shade/privacy cover for the baby, so that the lack of helmet is less noticeable. Personally, I feel like it'd be safe enough without the helmet, what with the carseat, the bike frame, and light/slow traffic of my small island city. (Annnnnnd as I type this, I can imagine DP disagreeing... Hmmm...)

#292 of 589 Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

There exists a tiny helmet, but I don't remember what it's called. I would worry more about a baby's neck than head in a carseat setup.

#293 of 589 Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Me too!

I just read this article, and like that I now know where to find stats to back up my viewpoint. Stats aren't everything, but they sure do come in handy with some people.

#294 of 589 Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

There are several articles by parents who bike with babies. I will have to look around for them again.

#295 of 589 Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

AppleMark

Charlie is 2 months old. He had his checkup today.  12# 6oz, 24 inches and 100th percentile for head size!  Takes after his mom with the giant head.  I like to say, 'big head, big brain."  I no longer have a bike.  I used to commute on bike and it was kind of scary for me and people were so mean I don't think I would ever do it again.  If we move somewhere more suburban in the future, I would definitely be more excited about bike riding.  I like those Skoot bikes.  I was amazed when I saw a 4 year-old riding a real bike.

wave.gif everyone! 

chortles likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#296 of 589 Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

He's adorable!

#297 of 589 Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I love your new profile photo!  He's adorable too!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#298 of 589 Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It's really old one.

#299 of 589 Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Ahhhhh, Pokey! The cuteness! I can't even stand it!!! He's just gorgeous. joy.gif

#300 of 589 Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM

seraf can you change me from Expectant Parents to New Parents with babies?

Photo of the boys today

Tags
Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page