Queer parents - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 589 Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Omg max that pic is great ( it's gage though Finn is bald lol)

East we have a weekly meet up if you pm
Me your Facebook info I can add you to our group.. It's been great to get out with our babies!!

This page is full of cuteness... Edie is so big now!!!!

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#332 of 589 Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Had to share this cute moment I caught today

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

#333 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 AM

Loving the photos and news--especially this group's multiples since a good friend is expecting twins soon and it gives me a hint of what they may look/be like (so happy for her and can't wait to meet the kiddos--she's almost 36 weeks).  My kiddos are doing well.  Big boy started preschool (speech group one day a week, regular preschool three days a week and Sunday School too) and that's been a big change.  I know he really enjoys preschool--and with the baby, it's nice for him to have some big boy time.  But, it has made the flow of our week SO different and SO suddenly (and I've really enjoyed our flexibility and ability to do what we want when we want and have energy for it).  It also makes it very obvious that despite our raging liberal friend group and community--we are clearly in the minority as a queer family.  Having to cross out mother/father language for the neighborhood preschool really bummed me out (especially since the director was clearly excited to have a same sex family--yup, love being other folks' cultural capital...sigh).  

But, as I said, big boy is doing well--albeit tired...

Little boy seems huge.  He has his four month well child in a couple of weeks (closer to five months--yikes!) but we think he is around 15/16 pounds and he seems REALLY long.  He is starting to organize his naps during the day--which complicated preschool drop off/pick up on two of the days.  He seems to be going in the direction of short napper and long night sleeper--which we are happy to encourage.  Altho' it does make it tricky to get anything done. My mother in law is in town (for the first time since baby was born and second time in 3 years).  She enjoys playing grandma and the kids enjoy her (it annoys me that she takes on the grandma role so abruptly when she seems so disinterested the rest of the time...but, oh well).  

Kids are waking...gotta go!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#334 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 10:32 AM

I had something SO extremely scary happen last night. I was putting Benjamin down for the night and he was rooting. I first opted for the pacifier, but switched to nursing because they seem to be wanting more after feedings. Well, I latched him on and immediately he was fussing and I thought it might be a forceful let-down, but it didn't make sense because I wasn't that full. Well, usually with a forceful let-down they are able to work through it without needing to come off. He was also acting different than with a forceful let-down. He kept struggling. Then, in one second he went from his normal pink color (as pink as you can get with being Asian) to pale yellow and then in the next second I blinked and he was gray/dusky blue. It was the scariest moment of my life. I pulled him off, he was whiny and crying a bit, so I knew that he was at least breathing a little bit. I woke DSp up because I was too panicky to think of what to do. We turned him over and patted his back. His color came back to pale yellow after a few seconds. It took Benjamin about an hour to stop coughing and cry normally and for his normal color to come back. The moment he turned blue and I handed him over to DSp, it was so terrifying as I thought, My baby is going to die because of me. I'm going to lose one of my baby boys.

I googled it and it is a common enough thing that there are quite a few results that come up first of the exact situation that happened with him. But it still doesn't make feel any better that I didn't help him out sooner, before he turned blue.

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#335 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no, SNB, that sounds so scary. Do you know why he turned blue?

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#336 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
esenbee ... How scary! Will you go talk to your ped about it? Or emerg? Don't rely on Doctor Google for this one, hon.
Remind me, did they have any heart tests at birth?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#337 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Levi had an elecotro and echo -cardiogram after the nurse practitioner saw a pattern on the monitor, but Benjamin did not have any tests, just was hooked up to the monitor for the 17 days they were in there and got a listen to with the stethoscope everyday.

Dr. Google said it was a confusion between the suck/swallow/breathing technique and he choked/was drowning. My first thinking was let-down related, but it was almost immediately after being put on (though I was dripping already when he got on) and I didn't feel it in my other breast like I usually do with let-downs. He did have spit up about 20 minutes earlier. And while he was sucking on the pacifier he had two large burps and it sounded like gulping afterwards, sonit could have been spit up/reflux related?

Me (S-26), DSp (B-29) married rainbow1284.gif May 21, 2010 in Connecticut. DD babygirl.gif (L-4). dog2.gif Billa,  dog2.gif Hurley, dog2.gif Spitfire (Leroy) and cat.gif Nollie too!
* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * belly.gif * 36 * !38! * 40 - stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif EDD 9.5.13

#338 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
esenbee--that's terrifying! Please still talk to your dr to get their opinion on it, especially since it hasn't happened before. I'm so glad he's ok!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#339 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM

I will definitely call on Monday

#340 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

They should have an on-call. Breathing is important.

#341 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM

esenbee2, I second the urging to call your kiddo's doctor.  Please.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#342 of 589 Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM

That is so scary, esenbee. I'm so glad he's okay. Hugs to you.

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
#343 of 589 Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Esenbee, so scary. Any updates?

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#344 of 589 Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 AM

We had a little MDC meetup ... Max and Pokeys little boys and our boys!!!!

#345 of 589 Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM

#346 of 589 Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Esen: about breastfeeding - I don't know your specifics, but unless there were serious concerns with growth***, we just send kids home on breastmilk or formula and encouraged breastfeeding as much as possible and have the home care nurses (who follow up for 6 weeks) and their pediatricians follow up on weight gain.  I'm sorry, it sounds like you got kinda crappy support in the NICU (which breaks my heart).  What are they corrected now?  They're over 40 weeks corrected aren't they?  If you want to go rogue, breastfeed them as much as you feel comfortable doing, watch for their poopy/pee diapers.  The transition from bottle feeding to more breastfeeding can be kind of rocky until the kids figure it out.

***usually the babies with growth issues are microprems or kids with lots of gut issues who have had part of their intestines removed due to necrotizing enterocolitis, which is an issue affecting prems almost exclusively.  

about the apnea - Holy jesus, terrifying!!!!  A healthy kid who chokes should not turn blue, they should be able to compensate quickly.  The boys are old enough that their gag reflex protects their airway from milk (babies have very special throats that specifically protects them while breast/bottle feeding, and why we as adults can't drink anything comfortably lying flat on our backs).  It's exceptionally common in prem babies learning to bottle feed, but I rarely see it breastfeeding because the milk flow is not as intense as with a bottle.  I even had a term baby (who was a microprem) pull this yesterday because he has never learned to pace himself (breathe WHILE feeding, not just sucking until they go blue).  This is worth getting checked out FOR SURE, and if it happens again go straight to the ER.

The yellow is interesting..... they don't look particularly yellow in the pictures, what's their ethnic background (I ask because if their skin undertones are yellow, then the yellow you were seeing was actually your baby turning white, and then they become cyanotic).  

That being said, if it's a one off, there's no permanent damage done either and you are not a terrible parent!!!!!!!  I'm an experienced prem feeder and it still makes my heart jump when one of them desaturates while feeding (and they're hooked up to monitors and I've got emergency equipment and all the staff support I could ask for if something were to go really sour).  

I'm sure everything checked out normally, but very scary to have happen!!  Big hugs to you guys!!!

Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
#347 of 589 Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 AM

darth -they are 3% for their gestational age. But the neonatologist said they were the best 34 week-ers he has seen and wishes that all 34 week-ers did as great as they did. They didn't have any issues at all. Corrected they are 3 days old. September 20 was their 40 week due date. I did have to give up my pump rental and have been breastfeeding for all feedings.

They are 1/2 Filipino, so have yellow undertones. I wasn't concerned about the yellow part and knew it was him turning white before the blue. I did go in to see the pediatrician. He thinks it was related to reflux, as he had some spit up a little earlier the incident and when he was using the pacifier, he had two large, what sounded like, burps and then had gulping sounds. The pediatrician thinks that when I switched him to breastfeeding, and he took that first breath, he breathed in his spit up. It was an isolated event and seemed to have been fine afterwards. If there had been a second episode, I would have taken him in to be seen right away. He's still been doing okay, but I've been paranoid every time I feed him!

#348 of 589 Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Hi All,

I'm attempting to jump back into posting on here. I enjoy being part of the MDC queer community, but I've been having a hard time keeping up.

Esenbee: I'm glad that your pediatrician was reassuring. I hope soon you feel less concerned when you feed them!

Cananny: What sweet little guys!

Wishin: It's interesting to hear how preschool changes the flow of your week. We've been talking about putting our son in 2 or 3 day a week preschool next year, but I'm not looking forward to how that will change the structure of our days. I'm super impressed that your little guy is sleeping at night so well!

Bigfoot: How are your adorable young people? How is your teenager?

Hi to everyone else!

AFM: I'm in a bit of denial about the fact that our son will be two in a month and that we'll have a second child in two months. Our son is suddenly talking in phrases and short sentences, and it is a lot of fun to hear more about what he is thinking.The pregnancy is still going smoothly, although my wife is definitely starting to feel big and somewhat uncomfortable. Our son's birth was long and challenging, and I'm more nervous about this birth than I had expected to be. Any suggestions on how to feel better about the safety of birth in general or home birth in particular?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#349 of 589 Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Escher--as much as preschool presents its own challenges scheduling wise, we have found overall that it is something that our son very much enjoys, it gives him time to be 3 with a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds, and it gives him a break from having to organize his life around his brother's schedule (or having me organize his life around his bro's schedule).  The major issue is the 2 days of the week when the baby's naps are messed up from having to take/pick up big bro from preschool.  We finally buckled on that one and got our first bucket car seat ever--the hope is that when the baby falls asleep during the 15 minute drive we have on Friday, I can take him into the house without him waking...which would mean he could get his standard 45 minute nap rather than a 10 minute nap.  We've been soooo anti-bucket, but between the need for naps and pending winter (and a detached garage) we decided that it made sense.  

#350 of 589 Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Hi everyone,
Aiden is just over 3 months old and it is time for me to go back to work, teaching collage it is about 25 hours a week. I'm not ready for it all to happen yet but I'm trying to feel grateful that it is not a 40 hour work week.
eyesroll.gif

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#351 of 589 Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM

maxK -I went back to work this week working 22.5 hours. My mother thought she might be able to handle them if it was only for a little bit each day, so I am only working enough hours to make what I would be making by working full time and paying full time daycare. So far this week it has just felt like I have been running out for an errand and just dropping them off at my mom's for her to watch them while I'm out, rather than feeling like someone else is raising my kids while I have to work. The days have really been so short and it seems like I don't have enough time for any work, but I am okay with that!
maxK likes this.

#352 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 AM

For any EB people, I'm going to the Baby Brigade movie at the parkway theatre sept. 30th at 4:30pm if you want to meet up. Trying to get in fun things before I return to work on Thursday!

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

#353 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Max, the movie sounds like fun.

SNB, it's great that you're working out the childcare/work stuff.

#354 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Max: I remember feeling like going back to work was very hard at first, but it got a lot easier once we all got used to it. Hopefully your transition will be simple and smooth, but if it does feel hard I bet it will get easier soon.

Wishin: How is the bucket seat working? I'm anti bucket seat in general too, but I think that a situation like yours is exactly when they are useful.

Any favorite second birthday present ideas? Our little guy is going to be 2 in less than a month!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#355 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Max--Good luck heading back to work! I actually really enjoyed going back. It was hard to not spend all day with E, but I didn't realize how much I missed adult conversation until I went back. I hope you have a smooth transition!

Escher--ROCKING HORSES! That's my fave 2nd birthday present, if you don't already have one at your house. I'm planning a play kitchen for Christmas, and E will be almost 2--we have a bunch of awesome play food that she got for her first birthday, but she's only starting to notice it now, really, and we need a place to put it. Other than that, I think we're planning to ask for books for all of the next year's worth of holidays. I can't believe he's almost 2!
maxK likes this.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#356 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Escher ... Hi! Good to hear from you!
As for fave 2yo birthday presents, H is turning 2 on Wednesday and he's been very vocal about wanting a few things lately. We've been telling him that he might get them for his birthday, and he's pretty excited about it.
Backpack
Umbrella
Tools
He's most excited about the backpack!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#357 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Escher- have you seen balance bikes? A bike without pedals that teaches them about balance. Maybe it's a better 3yr old idea but its a must have.

#358 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 AM

Great suggestions! Thank you!

Max: Balance bikes seem neat! I wonder if 2 is old enough for one. I'll have to check it out!

Starling: Happy birthday to H! Our little guys have similar interests. Our son loves his little backpack, and he is also consistently excited about umbrellas and tools. What tools are you getting for H?

Isa: I hadn't considered a rocking horse. Thanks for the idea! I can't believe he is almost 2 either....

#359 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

best two year old gift ever: http://www.rodytoy.com/

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#360 of 589 Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Run bikes ...
H has been riding his since about 18 months, but he's way big and very physically intuitive. H is ready for pedals at nearly 2 years old. He's also super skilled on the scooter (3 wheels). If we didn't have a bike for him already, we'd be getting him one for sure.
E wouldn't touch her run bike until she was about 3 years old, and likely won't be ready for pedals until next summer, when she'll be 5.5 or so.
So dependant on the kid!
About run bikes ... We did ot like the lovely wooden ones. They chipped and broke on impact, more than once.
We like the light-weight metal framed ones, a la Strider and such. We have random brand hand-me-down ones, but they've been great. Super tough and durable!

Tags
Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page