Queer parents - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seraf, good to "see" you!  Those guys are getting so big.  Weaning?  How's that going?  And what's up with that snake???

Sorry to hear you are all under the weather.  I hope the whole family feels better soon!

Coco, CUTE!!! 

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Hi everyone! love all of the little baby photos. Everyone is so cute and growing so fast.
Aiden is 4 months old now and getting very big!
Saturday I work a long day and I get really teary by the end of the day... I'm adjusting, it's just hard.
He can sleep about 12 hours at night but I dream feed him once or twice in there when he stirs.

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM

AppleMark

TTC#1 since Sept, 2009; in heartbeat.gif w DP, + two young dogs. Started adoption process May 2011. adoptionheart-1.gif  Baby boy born on June 18, 2013 and placed with us.babyboy.gif

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

He's beautiful.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Well, I think I'm ready to slowly start coming out of the newborn foggy daze. Sort of wink1.gif

DS will be 3 months old tomorrow (I think I remember I am supposed to start counting months now, right?!) Time is seriously flying by so quickly I'm feeling a little panicked about it some days. I thought I'd come and update here before I forget! DS is growing like a weed and was just about 16 lbs a couple of weeks ago when we went for our first family doc appt. I think that puts him 99th percentile or something. He's clearly not going hungry that's for sure! We had an intense start with some moderate reflux/poop issues but with an elimination diet, some probiotics....and time.....he seems to be mostly over it. I have started reintroducing dairy and soy and while it does seem to make him a bit more refluxy it is not as extreme as it was. I'm hoping he grows out of it completely. I thought he was right back where we were pre-elimination diet but I spoke too soon and it's not too bad.

Sleep! Oh glorious sleep. A few weeks ago he started sleeping looooong stretches (sometimes 8 hours!). I woke in a panic every couple of hours for a week and poked him (he sleeps with us) to make sure he was ok. He only wakes once between 9pm and 8:30 am. Crazy but true!! And the wake up is usually around 4 or 5 am. I knock on wood every time it tell someone because I feel like I'm in a dream world lol. I haven't slept this well in years. However....the kid doesn't nap! Maybe he'll take a 30 minute nap twice a day but other than that...a few cat naps in the car but won't even sleep on me usually. I guess I can't have it all.

Some other updates....
- The adjustment for DD has been very, very hard. probably the hardest part for me in the whole 2 kids thing has been her reaction and my guilt around not being the best mama I can to her at times.
- DS has a terrible latch on the right side and I can't figure out why...it still hurts at times when he pops on and off so much
- I was dealing with major oversupply issues but they seem to have resolved somewhat
- DS is a total sweetie and mostly in a good mood and content....after he got over the reflux
- I'm struggling a bit with the reality that I will never be pregnant again...after EVERYTHING in my life revolved around fertility for the past 5 or 6 years I'm feeling a great loss all of a sudden. I'm not sure how to deal with it
- My new after 2 kids body (belly specifically) feels foreign to me....will my stomach always be like this now? If yes, I can get used to it I guess but it feels so unlike me.
- My best friends sort of disappeared from my life during my pregnancy for no known reason (except when they want something from us) and that has bothered me a lot lately too

Ok, enough with the novel. Attaching a photo pre-bath of my adorable 16 pounder (can you believe he's actually here??!! Some days I still can't...)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Omg what a cutie! Good job, 16 lbs! smile.gif Amadora is 16.2 lbs and 4 months old. Also, your body may change yet. I recently realized my belly shrunk more and I lost 9 lbs without doing anything. I'm all about embracing the post-pregnancy changes though. Ama is a good sleeper too! It seems that's the case for a lot of babes who cosleep. She nurses at night but both of us pretty much sleep through it. Also, I've been counting months, but realized 4 months is a lot different depending on when they were born, so I'm counting weeks again. Amadora is 18 weeks today. smile.gif

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh, you guys! You are killing me with your gorgeous babies over here!

Edie slept really long stretches (in her crib) from about 2 1/2 months-9 months or so, and then it all went to hell. I think it was teething more than anything else. It's been pretty rough since then, I have to admit, but I just can't co-sleep. She was in bed with us from 5-7 this morning and I only managed to doze the whole time. -sigh-

Carmen--I'm sorry your DD had such a hard time with the transition. I'm glad I don't remember my sister coming home--I doubt I took it very well. Like Coco said, bodies can definitely change. I've watched a good friend of mine go through three pregnancies and postpartums and every time the next babe gets to be about a year old she looks like she did back in high school. Your body is still holding on to everything to make sure that little bub gets all the nutrition he needs!

I'm sad to be missing Edie's halloween costume debut this morning. I have to work so I don't get to go to the party and see all the little gaybies dressed up for the intergenerational queer halloween shindig. greensad.gif She liked her matador hat, though, and last time I tried the jacket on her she didn't want to take it off, so I expect it'll be a hit. Is anyone else dressing their kids up for halloween? What are they going as?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM

Carmen, our baby is a pretty good sleeper too and we just keep our fingers crossed. When he goes through growth spurts he gets a little fussy but then it evens out again. I can also relate to friends not coming around too much anymore. I have had to actively seek out new baby friends.

This Halloween we have some new friends coming over with their babies. Hopefully I will be able to post baby pictures. Anyone around town is welcome to come over!
There will be a nice variety of people, so I'm excited.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM

We are dressing baby up as Tigger. :) Pretty cute. Our 11 yr old picked it out. 11 yr old doesn't know what SHE wants to be yet, though. Maybe a broken doll, maybe a zombie, maybe Day of the Dead makeup. She'd better figure it out soon! Baby also has an owl costume, so we dressed her up in that today to go to the pumpkin patch. I'll post a picture when I get them on the computer. :)

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 PM

We took Edie to a Halloween parade today (her third year going, since she went once in utero)--it's nice because you get the outdoor feel of trick or treating but we don't have to worry about the candy, since she's still too young to have more than a piece or two. This probably isn't the best picture we got of the afternoon, but it is the easiest for me to find! She and her friend held hands and walked the whole way--it was very sweet!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 AM

We've been out of town the last 2 years for Halloween so we're looking forward to trick or treating in our own neighborhood this year! DD is going as Tinkerbell....even though th e only reference she's ever had of Tinkerbell is a lamp my aunt gave her :/ I finally got Peter Pan from the library so she could see who she is. I have made all her costumes so far but this year I ordered one from zulilly as I just don't have the time right now. I am hoping to dress up like a magician and have DS in the carrier as a bunny coming out of a hat smile.gif DP is going to go as a tiger.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Here areH

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Hit enter too soon

The boys are 8 months old now! Finn crawls and is into everything... August scoots and rolls and on verge of crawling and Gage is rolling everywhere.. The fun is just starting.. eeek! 

We are dressing them as a tiger, a cheeta and a elephant.. our little zoo!

ISA.. EDIE is adorable! So big!

Carmen.. London is soooo squishy and cute... I have been feeling down lately about the lack of friends and support.. its really hard but im trying to meet new friends .. 

max. Aiden has grown since we last saw him.. Not sure on halloween .. the boys go to bed at 7 so we will see if they take good naps to stay up a little late...

Loving life with our triplet boys born Feb 24th 2013 at 34 weeks biggrinbounce.gif

Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM

Cananny, those pictures are so cute! I wouldn't dare do that with our little one, because I get a rash from contact with pumpkin guts...so just in case she takes after me... But I love those pics.

Our 11 year old has decided to go as a basket of laundry. Lol!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I was at work, but here are my kids. O was a cereal killer, A was a lamp, S was a dragon and S2 was a lion.

I just noticed that my last post was eaten! Those are some adorable babies and matador!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM

All of your big kids costumes make me so happy! There I was, worried that all anyone wanted to be was superheroes and princesses. A Lamp! I'm dying!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! She even had a flashlight in there, so it glows. M kids have never been superheroes or princesses. I had a chupacabra, zombie (so popular), bat, and spider for O. A can't remember a single costume.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 PM

Everyone's kids are so cute! That matador costume is amazing. Here is O the vicious lion and M the amazing lion tamer. 

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Aaarrrggghhh!!! Too much cuteness! What adorable and creative kiddos you all have. Charlie was a toolman. He had on overalls and work boots and a flannel shirt with a felt tool belt. I will try to post a picture later when I am home. Happy Halloween!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM

How are you all doing? How is November going so far?

Our two(!)-year-old is doing well. I like this age SO much better than 19-22 months. He is doing lots of talking and he loves riding his scooter and having tea parties. It is a lot of fun. I hope hope hope that he likes (or at least doesn't hate) having a baby sibling.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Escher, because I have an 18 month also, I think often about how much easier this age is.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 AM

Sweet Soren is being difficult? I can't even imagine that!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM

November seems to be pretty roller-coastery for our girl. Lots of yelling and thrashing, then lots of giggling and learning new things! She can jump now, and is very proud of herself. She also is trying to count---one, two, seven, nine...that's it. She won't even repeat the other numbers when we say them to her. I blame myself, since I do say, 'one, two, seven' sometimes, for no good reason. I don't know where she got nine.

She's also, finally, an official big kid at daycare, so she can run free with the big burly 3 year olds and not be banished to the baby room at naptime. As far as I can tell they spend most of their time jumping on the couch--she came home last week and kept stepping on a shoe box and then loudly yelling, 'WATCH OUT!' which makes me think someone must be doing it at school.

Any tips on staying dry overnight? We give her a bottle right before bed, which helps her sleep, but obviously isn't helping pre-potty-training ideas...

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Hi Isa,
Remind me how old your little one is?
I'd say the culprit is the bottle. Maybe slowly reduce the amount until it's just a few mouthfuls?
We give H (newly 2yo) just a small amount of milk or water at supper, then nothing more to drink until bedtime, when he nurses. He's dry 9/10 nights. I usually take him to the toilet when I go to bed. He doesn't wake up for that, thankfully.

As for us, we're good! E is reading and making art and writing and inventing and loving her brother so much it drives him crazy sometimes.
H is happy following E and doing her bidding, for the most part. He quit diapers around his second birthday, which surprised us all, but is such a blessing. No more schlepping the dipes to the coin laundry! Whoo hoo! It's been a month, so I think it's safe to sell my trired ol' stash.
He refuses to go up-up, so I get be selling my carrier and wrap stash too. And the stroller too, because he says that's for babies.
Okay, I might start crying. I think we're officially out of the baby stage. WAH!
On the other hand, it's so awesome to be able to have conversations with him!

I'm getting close to launching my (queer family friendly!!!) audio story website for kids soon. That's keeping me busy, along with my other writing projects and mama-ness.
We're looking forward to spending Feb in Mexico ... Can't WAIT! We rented a cheap 1-bedroom suite, in a little town that's supposed to be pretty safe for queers.
Let's hear some more updates!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Im still new to this forum but i thought i would share a picture of my rosaline

she is my parther n mine world she is 7months next week she is our first baby and she amazes us every day
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Welcome new n young!  She's adorable!  It's pretty amazing to watch them grow and learn every day.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

6 months after my second daughter's birth, I finally feel like I am able to reemerge online and say hello.  It seems like I never have any time online anymore with two kids, but it is so nice to see all the lovely photos.  Lately, I am trying to figure out homeschooling, to start next year.  I just wish I knew queer parents in real life.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Starling, you have a lot going on! Shay also ditched diapers somewhat. He loves sposies and tries up put one on himself every night before bed. He sleeps in one despite the elastic disagreeing with his skin.

Escher, Soren is a little cranky pants. He's funny, when he's the only kid, he talks non stop. When everyone else is around he whines and clings to me when he isn't climbing on the table and crashing his ride on toy into things. Shay was also beastly at 18 months.

Isa, Soren is nothing like dry at night. He wears sposies to bed because he pees so much at night. He can jump off things but not jump. He occasionally talks better than Shay. He said "Happy birthday to Shay! Happy birthday to Baba!" Recently. Otherwise he's barely using two word phrases, so it's funny.

The big news here is that Sara and I separated in September. We are still living and co-parenting together but there are a lot of emotions still.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM

18 months is an awful age. Is 2.5 as bad as 1.5? I hope not.

I'm thinking about you all.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Seraf ... That is big news! I'm sending you virtual bandaids for the ensuing owies on your hearts. Lots of dear hearts in your family, so several big boxes of heart-shaped bandaids. I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but I hope that you all can find new footing and continue being the most excellent parents that you both are. xoxo

Escher ... I heard lots of talk about half-birthdays being a much bigger soup of upheaval than the year-birthdays. As in, shit gets heavy at the six-month mark between birthday cakes. And to be honest, that's been true for E. I haven't noticed it with H, but with E, each half-birthday would come around accompanied by some intense behaviour, intense emotions, and all-around intensity. It's been especially true at 3.5 & 4.5. Go figure. But like I said, haven't noticed it with H. He is -- mind you -- the most easy-going kid I know, so that might help.

Splashing ... Welcome back! Where do you live? What sort of homeschooling are you thinking about? Lots of folks on MSC homeschool, so this is a great place to start pondering and such.

New n Young ... WHAT A CUTIE! Love her hair. Scrumptious!

Hi to everyone else ...
It's been quiet in here. I'd love to see folks come back and join the conversation.
MDC was such an important place for me when we were TTC and living rurally and looking for other queer AP parents. I want this to be a vibrant community for new members too.
What's keeping people away?
Come back!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Tags
Lgbtq
User Tag List