Mothering Forum banner

Queer parents

Tags
lgbtq
26K views 588 replies 43 participants last post by  pokeyac 
#1 ·
Have a baby, toddler or kid? Want to talk about all things related to parenting within your queer family? Welcome.

Expectant parents
Prettyisa

New parents with babies

Gamitzer
Rs11
Escher
Splashing puddle
New n young
Sphinxy
CaNanny
Planet
KnittingTigers
PokeyAC
erinTNgirl
maxK
Esenbee2
Mrs&Mrs
Carmen358
Wishin'&Hopin'
Cocobird

Parents of little kids aged 1-4

Escher
Seraf
OneMommyOneMama
CI Mama
Wishin'&hopin'
Carmen358
Heart-n-bones
Staling&Diesel
PrettyIsa

Parents of big kids aged 5-12

Owlyce
Gamitzer
Smilezalot
Cocobird
Seraf
TaviPDX
Esenbee2
KnittingTigers
Mandarie

Parents of teens aged 13-19

Smilezalot
Cocobird
Mrs&mrs
Queermomma

See less See more
#377 ·
Pokey--good luck flying! We've flown a lot with E, and it was easier when she was smaller (before she wanted to get down and run free). It's always hard doing it alone, though. Hopefully the flight will coincide with a naptime and you can just cuddle all the way there!

DP and I were on separate vacations this weekend and I got home to find that my kid has completely changed! She learned how to talk! She had been saying individual words before, but usually not really having conversations--it's like a switch flipped, because now she's actually communicating. So amazing to see it happen in three days! I only got to see her a little bit yesterday because my stupid flight was late, but I am SO excited to talk to her tonight after work!

#378 ·
Thanks everyone! I think we will be ok. We are all packed up and ready to go.

isa-That's amazing! I'm sorry you missed it but I hope you have lots of fun talking now.

seraf-I will be in the Columbus area! I'll send you a PM.

#380 ·
Hello....
As usual it's very busy ... The boys are 7.5 months now ! Finn is crawling and very very active ... August is still very laid back and observes .. Gage is finally rolling over ! He spent three days in children's after a flu shot .. Can't say if he had a reaction to it or if he got a virus he was vomiting and had high fevers and very lethargic .. They thought meningitis thankfully it was not it !
They are a lot of fun and August and Finn sleep 7-7 now!!! Gage still wakes 2x to eat ...
We still have some reflux but eating foods seem to be helping plus the more breast milk he gets the better .. Trying to find a dairy free gluten and soy free donors is hard !!!

Max hope the transition to working more went ok !
Pokey I am sure it will be hard but just think of how happy u both will be at end if the day .. U can connect with him by wearing him more, nursing as much as he wants , weekends will be cherished ! I'm sure your nanny will send tons of pics and updates ! Hang in there it does get easier ...
Coco.. What a cutie
PrettyA... Talking wow ! How are things otherwise ? When will E be 2? Or is she?
seraf... I wish we were visiting you ! How are the kids ?

Bay Area parents Sunday oct 20 we r going to a pumpkin patch with other queer folks I'll be taking photos of the kids/families! Pm me for details
smile.gif

#381 ·
Escher - how are you feeling? You are getting closer to having two kids! I hope you are feeling well. You had asked how we were doing awhile ago and I have been MIA!

Seraf- I miss all the photos you used to post of the your two S boys!

Pokey - good luck on your trip. I sort of wish we had some travel plans in the future, but also can't imagine trying to take both babies on a plane. Actually, it is really just one of the babies I can't imagine taking on a plane at all - the louder one!

Coco - welcome back! I am so happy to see your teenager warmed up to the baby so much.

Max and Esenbee - I hope being back at work is as smooth as can be. I envy your part time hours. We will both be going back to 40 hour work weeks, although we are lucky in that we don't both work M-F so we need less child care.

Granite - I hope nesting is going well and you aren't too uncomfortable. I can't wait to "meet" your little one.

AFU - We are all alive and well. While we are still very sleep deprived, we are starting to see the light. We had our first five hour stretch of simultaneous sleep the other night followed by both babies going right back down. That sometimes happens in 3 or 4 hour blocks, but 5 hours was absolute heaven. Our fussy boy seems to slowly be growing out of it, and is much more alert and fun now. They are starting to smile more often and both seem so much bigger all the sudden, even though our 8 week-olds are both 8-and-a-half pounds. We are starting to get more obsessed with baby wearing and are finally buying a linen ring sling to add to our mostly hand-me-down collection of various wraps.

It's hard to believe this was our four pound baby!

Baby O still weighs a tiny bit more than his brother, but everyone thinks he is smaller now since he is taller and leaner. They are so different!

Our big baby has been riding his bike everywhere these days, and got his first really bad road rash. Poor kid.

#385 ·
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for ages. I love seeing all the photos, hearing about developments, and I am very excited for the new babies coming soon!!!

Wylie is 13 months old today. he is trying really hard to walk but hasn't quite gotten it down yet. He is super social, says "haaaaaay" when people walk into the room, loves to wave and engage with ANYONE, does not (so far) have separation anxiety (only when he's tired), and recently started kissing back! I'll try to post a video in a separate post.

#388 ·
W are really having fun with him these days! Sleep is still an adventure but usually it's not so bad..at least we are getting lots of good snuggles!

Seraf, how have you guys been?

#389 ·
We've been busy. Everyone has had a GI illness this week. My camera on my phone kicked the bucket several month ago. Hopefully I'll have a new one tomorrow!
Two boys in the bath.

They still nurse at nap time, but I'm working on weaning.

Snake.

Marble run

Bike ride

#390 ·
Cuuuuute babies!
Here is my baby:
Teething

Morning smiles:

My view right now:

#391 ·
Seraf, good to "see" you! Those guys are getting so big. Weaning? How's that going? And what's up with that snake???

Sorry to hear you are all under the weather. I hope the whole family feels better soon!

Coco, CUTE!!!

#392 ·
Hi everyone! love all of the little baby photos. Everyone is so cute and growing so fast.
Aiden is 4 months old now and getting very big!
Saturday I work a long day and I get really teary by the end of the day... I'm adjusting, it's just hard.
He can sleep about 12 hours at night but I dream feed him once or twice in there when he stirs.

#395 ·
Well, I think I'm ready to slowly start coming out of the newborn foggy daze. Sort of
wink1.gif

DS will be 3 months old tomorrow (I think I remember I am supposed to start counting months now, right?!) Time is seriously flying by so quickly I'm feeling a little panicked about it some days. I thought I'd come and update here before I forget! DS is growing like a weed and was just about 16 lbs a couple of weeks ago when we went for our first family doc appt. I think that puts him 99th percentile or something. He's clearly not going hungry that's for sure! We had an intense start with some moderate reflux/poop issues but with an elimination diet, some probiotics....and time.....he seems to be mostly over it. I have started reintroducing dairy and soy and while it does seem to make him a bit more refluxy it is not as extreme as it was. I'm hoping he grows out of it completely. I thought he was right back where we were pre-elimination diet but I spoke too soon and it's not too bad.

Sleep! Oh glorious sleep. A few weeks ago he started sleeping looooong stretches (sometimes 8 hours!). I woke in a panic every couple of hours for a week and poked him (he sleeps with us) to make sure he was ok. He only wakes once between 9pm and 8:30 am. Crazy but true!! And the wake up is usually around 4 or 5 am. I knock on wood every time it tell someone because I feel like I'm in a dream world lol. I haven't slept this well in years. However....the kid doesn't nap! Maybe he'll take a 30 minute nap twice a day but other than that...a few cat naps in the car but won't even sleep on me usually. I guess I can't have it all.

Some other updates....
- The adjustment for DD has been very, very hard. probably the hardest part for me in the whole 2 kids thing has been her reaction and my guilt around not being the best mama I can to her at times.
- DS has a terrible latch on the right side and I can't figure out why...it still hurts at times when he pops on and off so much
- I was dealing with major oversupply issues but they seem to have resolved somewhat
- DS is a total sweetie and mostly in a good mood and content....after he got over the reflux
- I'm struggling a bit with the reality that I will never be pregnant again...after EVERYTHING in my life revolved around fertility for the past 5 or 6 years I'm feeling a great loss all of a sudden. I'm not sure how to deal with it
- My new after 2 kids body (belly specifically) feels foreign to me....will my stomach always be like this now? If yes, I can get used to it I guess but it feels so unlike me.
- My best friends sort of disappeared from my life during my pregnancy for no known reason (except when they want something from us) and that has bothered me a lot lately too

Ok, enough with the novel. Attaching a photo pre-bath of my adorable 16 pounder (can you believe he's actually here??!! Some days I still can't...)

#396 ·
Omg what a cutie! Good job, 16 lbs!
smile.gif
Amadora is 16.2 lbs and 4 months old. Also, your body may change yet. I recently realized my belly shrunk more and I lost 9 lbs without doing anything. I'm all about embracing the post-pregnancy changes though. Ama is a good sleeper too! It seems that's the case for a lot of babes who cosleep. She nurses at night but both of us pretty much sleep through it. Also, I've been counting months, but realized 4 months is a lot different depending on when they were born, so I'm counting weeks again. Amadora is 18 weeks today.
smile.gif

#397 ·
Oh, you guys! You are killing me with your gorgeous babies over here!

Edie slept really long stretches (in her crib) from about 2 1/2 months-9 months or so, and then it all went to hell. I think it was teething more than anything else. It's been pretty rough since then, I have to admit, but I just can't co-sleep. She was in bed with us from 5-7 this morning and I only managed to doze the whole time. -sigh-

Carmen--I'm sorry your DD had such a hard time with the transition. I'm glad I don't remember my sister coming home--I doubt I took it very well. Like Coco said, bodies can definitely change. I've watched a good friend of mine go through three pregnancies and postpartums and every time the next babe gets to be about a year old she looks like she did back in high school. Your body is still holding on to everything to make sure that little bub gets all the nutrition he needs!

I'm sad to be missing Edie's halloween costume debut this morning. I have to work so I don't get to go to the party and see all the little gaybies dressed up for the intergenerational queer halloween shindig.
greensad.gif
She liked her matador hat, though, and last time I tried the jacket on her she didn't want to take it off, so I expect it'll be a hit. Is anyone else dressing their kids up for halloween? What are they going as?

#398 ·
Carmen, our baby is a pretty good sleeper too and we just keep our fingers crossed. When he goes through growth spurts he gets a little fussy but then it evens out again. I can also relate to friends not coming around too much anymore. I have had to actively seek out new baby friends.

This Halloween we have some new friends coming over with their babies. Hopefully I will be able to post baby pictures. Anyone around town is welcome to come over!
There will be a nice variety of people, so I'm excited.

#399 ·
We are dressing baby up as Tigger. :) Pretty cute. Our 11 yr old picked it out. 11 yr old doesn't know what SHE wants to be yet, though. Maybe a broken doll, maybe a zombie, maybe Day of the Dead makeup. She'd better figure it out soon! Baby also has an owl costume, so we dressed her up in that today to go to the pumpkin patch. I'll post a picture when I get them on the computer. :)

#400 ·
We took Edie to a Halloween parade today (her third year going, since she went once in utero)--it's nice because you get the outdoor feel of trick or treating but we don't have to worry about the candy, since she's still too young to have more than a piece or two. This probably isn't the best picture we got of the afternoon, but it is the easiest for me to find! She and her friend held hands and walked the whole way--it was very sweet!

#401 ·
We've been out of town the last 2 years for Halloween so we're looking forward to trick or treating in our own neighborhood this year! DD is going as Tinkerbell....even though th e only reference she's ever had of Tinkerbell is a lamp my aunt gave her :/ I finally got Peter Pan from the library so she could see who she is. I have made all her costumes so far but this year I ordered one from zulilly as I just don't have the time right now. I am hoping to dress up like a magician and have DS in the carrier as a bunny coming out of a hat
smile.gif
DP is going to go as a tiger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.