Mothering Forum banner

Queer parents

Tags
lgbtq
26K views 588 replies 43 participants last post by  pokeyac 
#1 ·
Have a baby, toddler or kid? Want to talk about all things related to parenting within your queer family? Welcome.

Expectant parents
Prettyisa

New parents with babies

Gamitzer
Rs11
Escher
Splashing puddle
New n young
Sphinxy
CaNanny
Planet
KnittingTigers
PokeyAC
erinTNgirl
maxK
Esenbee2
Mrs&Mrs
Carmen358
Wishin'&Hopin'
Cocobird

Parents of little kids aged 1-4

Escher
Seraf
OneMommyOneMama
CI Mama
Wishin'&hopin'
Carmen358
Heart-n-bones
Staling&Diesel
PrettyIsa

Parents of big kids aged 5-12

Owlyce
Gamitzer
Smilezalot
Cocobird
Seraf
TaviPDX
Esenbee2
KnittingTigers
Mandarie

Parents of teens aged 13-19

Smilezalot
Cocobird
Mrs&mrs
Queermomma

See less See more
#403 ·
Hit enter too soon

The boys are 8 months old now! Finn crawls and is into everything... August scoots and rolls and on verge of crawling and Gage is rolling everywhere.. The fun is just starting.. eeek!

We are dressing them as a tiger, a cheeta and a elephant.. our little zoo!

ISA.. EDIE is adorable! So big!

Carmen.. London is soooo squishy and cute... I have been feeling down lately about the lack of friends and support.. its really hard but im trying to meet new friends ..

max. Aiden has grown since we last saw him.. Not sure on halloween .. the boys go to bed at 7 so we will see if they take good naps to stay up a little late...

#404 ·
Cananny, those pictures are so cute! I wouldn't dare do that with our little one, because I get a rash from contact with pumpkin guts...so just in case she takes after me... But I love those pics.

Our 11 year old has decided to go as a basket of laundry. Lol!

#409 ·
Aaarrrggghhh!!! Too much cuteness! What adorable and creative kiddos you all have. Charlie was a toolman. He had on overalls and work boots and a flannel shirt with a felt tool belt. I will try to post a picture later when I am home. Happy Halloween!

#410 ·
How are you all doing? How is November going so far?

Our two(!)-year-old is doing well. I like this age SO much better than 19-22 months. He is doing lots of talking and he loves riding his scooter and having tea parties. It is a lot of fun. I hope hope hope that he likes (or at least doesn't hate) having a baby sibling.

#413 ·
November seems to be pretty roller-coastery for our girl. Lots of yelling and thrashing, then lots of giggling and learning new things! She can jump now, and is very proud of herself. She also is trying to count---one, two, seven, nine...that's it. She won't even repeat the other numbers when we say them to her. I blame myself, since I do say, 'one, two, seven' sometimes, for no good reason. I don't know where she got nine.

She's also, finally, an official big kid at daycare, so she can run free with the big burly 3 year olds and not be banished to the baby room at naptime. As far as I can tell they spend most of their time jumping on the couch--she came home last week and kept stepping on a shoe box and then loudly yelling, 'WATCH OUT!' which makes me think someone must be doing it at school.

Any tips on staying dry overnight? We give her a bottle right before bed, which helps her sleep, but obviously isn't helping pre-potty-training ideas...

#414 ·
Hi Isa,
Remind me how old your little one is?
I'd say the culprit is the bottle. Maybe slowly reduce the amount until it's just a few mouthfuls?
We give H (newly 2yo) just a small amount of milk or water at supper, then nothing more to drink until bedtime, when he nurses. He's dry 9/10 nights. I usually take him to the toilet when I go to bed. He doesn't wake up for that, thankfully.

As for us, we're good! E is reading and making art and writing and inventing and loving her brother so much it drives him crazy sometimes.
H is happy following E and doing her bidding, for the most part. He quit diapers around his second birthday, which surprised us all, but is such a blessing. No more schlepping the dipes to the coin laundry! Whoo hoo! It's been a month, so I think it's safe to sell my trired ol' stash.
He refuses to go up-up, so I get be selling my carrier and wrap stash too. And the stroller too, because he says that's for babies.
Okay, I might start crying. I think we're officially out of the baby stage. WAH!
On the other hand, it's so awesome to be able to have conversations with him!

I'm getting close to launching my (queer family friendly!!!) audio story website for kids soon. That's keeping me busy, along with my other writing projects and mama-ness.
We're looking forward to spending Feb in Mexico ... Can't WAIT! We rented a cheap 1-bedroom suite, in a little town that's supposed to be pretty safe for queers.
Let's hear some more updates!

#417 ·
6 months after my second daughter's birth, I finally feel like I am able to reemerge online and say hello. It seems like I never have any time online anymore with two kids, but it is so nice to see all the lovely photos. Lately, I am trying to figure out homeschooling, to start next year. I just wish I knew queer parents in real life.

#418 ·
Starling, you have a lot going on! Shay also ditched diapers somewhat. He loves sposies and tries up put one on himself every night before bed. He sleeps in one despite the elastic disagreeing with his skin.

Escher, Soren is a little cranky pants. He's funny, when he's the only kid, he talks non stop. When everyone else is around he whines and clings to me when he isn't climbing on the table and crashing his ride on toy into things. Shay was also beastly at 18 months.

Isa, Soren is nothing like dry at night. He wears sposies to bed because he pees so much at night. He can jump off things but not jump. He occasionally talks better than Shay. He said "Happy birthday to Shay! Happy birthday to Baba!" Recently. Otherwise he's barely using two word phrases, so it's funny.

The big news here is that Sara and I separated in September. We are still living and co-parenting together but there are a lot of emotions still.

#420 ·
Seraf ... That is big news! I'm sending you virtual bandaids for the ensuing owies on your hearts. Lots of dear hearts in your family, so several big boxes of heart-shaped bandaids. I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but I hope that you all can find new footing and continue being the most excellent parents that you both are. xoxo

Escher ... I heard lots of talk about half-birthdays being a much bigger soup of upheaval than the year-birthdays. As in, shit gets heavy at the six-month mark between birthday cakes. And to be honest, that's been true for E. I haven't noticed it with H, but with E, each half-birthday would come around accompanied by some intense behaviour, intense emotions, and all-around intensity. It's been especially true at 3.5 & 4.5. Go figure. But like I said, haven't noticed it with H. He is -- mind you -- the most easy-going kid I know, so that might help.

Splashing ... Welcome back! Where do you live? What sort of homeschooling are you thinking about? Lots of folks on MSC homeschool, so this is a great place to start pondering and such.

New n Young ... WHAT A CUTIE! Love her hair. Scrumptious!

Hi to everyone else ...
It's been quiet in here. I'd love to see folks come back and join the conversation.
MDC was such an important place for me when we were TTC and living rurally and looking for other queer AP parents. I want this to be a vibrant community for new members too.
What's keeping people away?
Come back!

#421 ·
Seraf-I'm so sorry to hear about your separation. I hope you are all adjusting as well as you can to the new situation. It's tough.

starling-I agree with you about how important these forums have been to me, and I am sad it's been less active. I have to go eat my dinner now, but I will be back later.

Hugs to everyone!
:grouphug

#422 ·
Hi all! I have been following along but have been lazy about posting since i find it to be such a pain from my phone! I always read this forum while nursing Wylie to sleep in the dark.

Seraf, I'm sorry to hear about the separation. Do you guys have good support out there? I imagine that must be tough with a house full of kiddos. Are you guys planning to keep living together long term?

#423 ·
Seraf--again, I'm sorry to hear the news.

Starling--I think part of it is cyclical (as in, people get busy and then unbusy again). I also wonder if part of it is having 'parents' separated from 'pregnant'. I know that it felt like an abrupt switch to me to go from the Q&P board to the parenting one, since everyone there seemed so far ahead of me and I was still so new to parenting. Maybe recombining them again is a good idea? It would be nice to have fewer threads to keep up with.

Things here are going well. I'm pretty far into the first trimester tiredness, and getting some nausea, which is even less fun than I remember it being when I just had two dogs to entertain. DP and I are trying to decide if we should do some sort of cutesy announcement that we're having twins, since it will be time to let people know right around Christmas card season.

#425 ·
I, like planet, read along here while nursing. I've never posted on this specific thread because I'm still a little overwhelmed, at 5 weeks into being a parent. Isa, I'm sorry you don't like the boards separate. I was one who had suggested this change a few months back because the combined board was so active it was very hard to keep up. Plus, as a pregnant mama, it was really overwhelming to me (and I think some others) to read about parenting struggles when we were just trying to survive pregnancy. I had really enjoyed the specific focus of the TTC thread and I felt very lost when I first came over to the combined QP&P thread. Just my opinion.

I would like to "join" here and my hope is that I'll be more active as we emerge from "survival mode".

#426 ·
Hi All,

I'm absolutely in favor of helping this thread to be more active.

Sphinxy: It's great to hear from you! WOW on five weeks! What are the great parts and the challenges so far?

Isa: I'm sorry you're having the crappy first trimester experience again. I think a twin-themed christmas card sounds delightful. If you do it I hope you'll post it somewhere where I can se it!

Hi to everyone else!

I feel like I don't have much news to report. Our two-year-old is funny and sweet (most of the time). We have a baby due in a week, which I guess means soon we'll have a newborn, but it still feels pretty far away. Thanksgiving is coming for those of us in the US!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.