Mothering Forum banner

Queer parents

Tags
lgbtq
26K views 588 replies 43 participants last post by  pokeyac 
#1 ·
Have a baby, toddler or kid? Want to talk about all things related to parenting within your queer family? Welcome.

Expectant parents
Prettyisa

New parents with babies

Gamitzer
Rs11
Escher
Splashing puddle
New n young
Sphinxy
CaNanny
Planet
KnittingTigers
PokeyAC
erinTNgirl
maxK
Esenbee2
Mrs&Mrs
Carmen358
Wishin'&Hopin'
Cocobird

Parents of little kids aged 1-4

Escher
Seraf
OneMommyOneMama
CI Mama
Wishin'&hopin'
Carmen358
Heart-n-bones
Staling&Diesel
PrettyIsa

Parents of big kids aged 5-12

Owlyce
Gamitzer
Smilezalot
Cocobird
Seraf
TaviPDX
Esenbee2
KnittingTigers
Mandarie

Parents of teens aged 13-19

Smilezalot
Cocobird
Mrs&mrs
Queermomma

See less See more
#577 ·
Hi Max! I can't believe your little guy is already more than 9 months old! That went by fast!

Seraf--nope, but the day is nigh! Last night she did her first jump from the crib. Not hurt, but lots of crying. We should be getting it this weekend at her family birthday party. We're big wimps about falling, so she hasn't really done it much yet. We don't really let her climb on much, so it's been rare to have her dive off of things. I set up her sleeping bunny alarm clock this morning, so we'll see how that goes, and am planning to toddler-proof her room tonight (it's mostly done, but there are some random things in there that I wouldn't want her destroying in the middle of the night).

#578 ·
Hi Max! C is almost 10 months too and I agree with seraf, this is a really fun age! 6 months was a bit hard because he was crying a lot but since then it's been really cool. I hope you are able to succeed with your scheme. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Hi prettyisa! I believe you said on the other thread that the boys are in good positions for vaginal birth. I hope they stay in those good positions so you can do that. Jumping from the crib sounds a little scary. I have memories of jumping out of my crib as a baby. Not sure if they are real or dreams but it's a long way when you are so small.

#579 ·
Hi I'm owl. My partner and I have 3 children on earth and one baby girl angel (whooping cough at 18 months). All from previous hetero relationships. I carried all but our angel baby. My fiancee doesn't want to carry any more. We do plan on one or two more but are waiting for Dear fiancees baby brother to turn 18 so he can be the sperm donor. (3 more years) Our children two girls 9 and 8 and a boy 6. Our angel would have been 7.

We live in Florida but are saving our money to move to Portland, OR.

We're having a commitment ceremony 9-26-15 and will fly to Washington state to make it all legal after. (I've got family there, DF has many friends.)

#580 ·
Pokey--thanks! I am hoping so, too! I'm ok with a c-section, but I'd like to avoid surgery if possible. And yes, it was terrifying for us, so I don't know what it was like for her. Though I have caught her standing up and considering it again. SO GLAD the toddler bed and mattress are all here now, so my afternoon project is getting her big-girl room ready to go. WIsh us luck, though--it's going to be a long couple nights. All our fault for letting her come to bed to sleep for the last hour every morning before we get up, but now she thinks our bed is an ok place to want to be.

Owl--welcome! Nice to have new folks around here! Where in FL are you? My wife is from Naples, and we talk about moving there sometime in the future, various things depending.

#582 ·
Isa, how did the new bed go? Yay for a safe sleep space, even if it's less convenient. My boys just crossed the 6am line and sleep until almost 8 (so 11ish hours straight). It's delightful.

Owlyce, I'm adding you to the front page.

#583 ·
It was great! She was SO excited to see it when she got home from school--immediately got her books out and lay down to read. Then at bedtime she wanted to see me after DP tucked her in and she was just so proud of her bed--lying there and grinning and too hyped up to sleep. She did pretty well, though, and her main stalling technique was to ask to use the potty--which she did, successfully, so that'll work whenever she wants to try it to buy more time. Then she slept all night and didn't get up this morning until her usual time, and then she stayed in her room and called for us. My guess is that it won't last as well once she realizes that she can get out of there on her own, but it was a nice first night!

#585 ·
Hi.
I'm brand new to this site. Although not a mother yet, God willing in the next year, my wife and I have been having more specific conversations lately. One of which has been on homeschooling. After much search (via google) I'm beyond happy to have stumbled upon this page! I look forward to learning more as well as having support for when the time does come.
: ) Reina

[@pokeyAC: My wife & I filed jointly as well this year. Our amazing tax guy informed us that we can get retro for all of the years we've been (legally) married. So you might want to look into that. As it is from previous years I don't think there's a deadline to file. I do know you can't file online. But it's definitely worth it. Good luck!]

#586 ·
Welcome ReinaQ! I'm so glad you found us. I hope your journey to parenthood is smooth. Feel free to join us on the Queer Conceptions thread when you are ready to ttc.
We went to an accountant this year and he is going to look at our returns from the last few years to see if we can file amended returns. We may not be because I got big returns because if my deductions for the medical bills from getting pregnant. Sperm and all the other stuff is tax deductible!

#588 ·
Hi everyone! How are things going? Any exciting summery-type stuff going on? We've been gardening like maniacs--DD really likes to dig in the dirt, so I'm not sure we'll get any tomatoes this year, but she's so happy I can't stop her. I'm trying to figure out where we could put a sandbox in our dinky little yard.

Seraf--sleep is rough again. She still doesn't get out of bed, but she'll lie there calling for us for almost an hour after bedtime. Not usually crying so much as a constant refrain of 'mama! mama! I have an owie! An OWIE! MAMA! I need MEDICINE! twinkle twinkle little...MAMA!' and so on. We're trying to break the habit of going in there to talk to her since it doesn't make her any more calm and just seems to draw it out longer, but it's hard to ignore!

#589 ·
Hello everyone! I love the new smilies! :nerd:

All is well here. C is going to be 1 in 27 days. I cannot believe it! He is very close to walking too. My FIL is coming to visit for his birthday and that will be lovely. We're going to have a party in a park with our friends and C's baby friends. He had his first ear infection and he is getting his molars. Those things combined with learning to walk make him rather crabby sometimes, but he is also getting more cuddly so that makes up for it, mostly. :diaper

isa-C also loves to play in the sand and he loves being outdoors. We have some veggies growing and I'm sure he will want to check them out. We are going to get him a little pool for the patio. I'm sorry sleep is rough. I hope she figures it out soon. She's knows you are there for her no matter what. I hope you are feeling well too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.