Queer Maternity-Wear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi! I've been thinking it would be fun to start a Queer Maternity Fashion thread! I don't know about y'all, but when I got pregnant, I was worried about what I would wear when my belly got big. My personal style is kinda dykey...not super femme, not super butch. I know that there are other non-gender-conforming women who struggle with what to wear during pregnancy, as the majority of maternity clothes are very feminine. So, I was thinking we could post our experiences and ideas here! Pictures, too! Hope some of you join in. smile.gif

Here is a cool "love makes a family" maternity shirt I found online:

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a queer femme. I have it easier than my butch wife did when she was pregnant in the 1990s. However, I do still have taste so maternity clothing does not really speak to my sense of self. In the same way that I am queer but I am not attracted to everyone, I am femme but I will not wear just ANY dress. So much maternity clothing is infantalizing and stupid. It is offensive.

I wear a lot of horizontal stripes. I think I am a pretty adorable pregnant lady, but for the sake of style, I'm glad it's a temporary condition. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#3 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks, Coco! Great idea, and nice top.

I tend to lean moderately femme in my dress clothing, but I spend the vast majority of my life in pretty androgynous casualwear. I guess what I have found at times to be a struggle is that there are so many clothes that aren't just feminine, but "girlie". When I'm getting dressed up I want to look feminine, but not like a 10 year old!

Favorite find so far is just the simple Gap Body t-shirts (in tank or short sleeve). The fabric is so soft and they manage to incorporate some side ruching for extra belly room without making it look too girlie.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#4 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Haha, mrsandmrs, you nailed it!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#5 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I found a cool blog on tumbler called Preggo Butch.  She has lots of pictures of what she wore.  I think she talks about the outfits too but it's blocked at my company, so I can't see it right now.  The name is butchpreggo.tumblr.com.  Here's another site that has a link to the blog. 

NCLR also has some maternity t-shirts.

I got most of my clothes at Old Navy.  I got some nice pants at Kohl's.  Yoga pants are also pretty great.  Men's shirts work pretty well too because they are so much longer.  I had a nice sweater that I wore for a while. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM

When I was pregnant with my first, I lived in some tunics and leggings from American Apparel. This time I needed more professional wear. Luckily a colleague lent me an entire wardrobe- mostly from Motherhood, some Target and Pea in the Pod mixed in. Very little of it was stuff that I would have chosen on my own, but most of it wasn't nauseating, and best of all, it was free. By the end, I was so huge that very little fit. I am SO GLAD that I will never be pregnant again. Now if only I could fit back into my own clothing again...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#7 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

For a while it wasn't so bad with the belly band on my jeans and looser or stretchier shirts, but when my belly really started getting big, I had to look around for other options. I found some light and loose maternity cargo pants at second-hand stores--super comfortable, total score! Also, I did get a pair of maternity jeans, and two pairs of long maternity shorts. I found one pair of long (but not boy-style) maternity shorts at Ross, and the jeans and other shorts were from a second-hand store. On my more femme days, I may wear the maternity jeans with a striped maternity shirt (found some cheap at Ross also). On more "dykey" days, I may wear the cargo pants or long shorts with a band t-shirt (right now men's medium band shirts from Hot Topic fit me perfectly!). During the colder months, I had some sweaters that stretched enough to continue wearing through my second trimester. I also am a fan of hoodies, and always get them in larger sizes anyway, so they still fit me.

Today: More dykey, super comfortable.

AppleMark

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
#8 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

good find on the preggo butch blog, pokey!

#9 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Lookin' good, CocoBird!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#10 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks pokey smile.gif

I was *hoping* more folks would join in with posting pics!

Also, I found this on Pinterest, bought myself a plain white maternity tee, and made one for myself! (batbaby! haha)

#11 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 PM

I would post pics, but I'm blissfully no longer pregnant! I wore low rise jeans, maternity jeans and long shirts for the most part. And scrubs. I gave up the extra smalls but otherwise kept the same size all the way through.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#12 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM

blisffully?  Wait I thought all of us loved being pregnant :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page