Please participate in our Lesbian Pregnancy study! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please consider participating in our study if you or your partner are currently pregnant!  We encourage both partners to participate.  We are grateful for your time and effort if you choose to help.  See below for more information on the study.  The link to participate is at the very bottom of this post.

~Cindy

New Mexico State University
IRB #10241

Informed Consent to Participate in a Research Project

Relationship Factors in Lesbian Couples with Perinatal Mood Disorders

PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS:
Cynthia Unger & Richard Zamora
Doctoral Students - Counseling and Educational Psychology
Email Contact: ungerc@nmsu.edu or rczamora@nmsu.edu

FACULTY ADVISOR:
Eve Adams, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology
(575) 646-1142
Email Contact: eadams@nmsu.edu

DESCRIPTION:
We, Cynthia Unger and Richard Zamora, are doctoral students in the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology at New Mexico State University. We are interested in exploring the relationship factors involved in the development of postpartum depression in lesbian couples. Participation in this study will involve completing a survey online, and will take approximately 15-20 minutes for each of two sessions (pregnancy and postpartum). You will be asked to respond to questions about your relationship, mood, and other psychological traits. As well, you will be asked to provide general demographic information, such as age and gestational age, which will be used only to describe the sample as a group. You do not have to answer any question you do not wish to answer. There are no right or wrong answers—just fill in the responses that first come to your mind. Data will be collected at two time points. First, pregnant women and their partners will complete the first set of questionnaires while one partner is pregnant. Next, women will be prompted to return to the Survey Monkey website between 2 and 8 weeks postpartum.

CONFIDENTIALITY:
The survey portion of this study is anonymous; therefore, all responses will be confidential. The email address and phone number you provide will be kept strictly confidential—it will be used to send you a link to an online survey and/or to call and remind you about the postpartum survey, approximately 4-6 weeks after the estimated due date of your baby. In addition, research records will be kept in a locked cabinet accessible only to the Principal Investigators and their faculty advisor. When the results of the research are published or discussed in conferences, no information will be included that would reveal your identity.

VOLUNTARY NATURE OF PARTICIPATION:
You may withdraw from the research study at any time since your participation is entirely voluntary. If you do not wish to participate, or would like to end your participation in this study, there will be no penalty or adverse consequence.

RISKS AND BENEFITS:
The potential risks associated with this study are expected to be minimal. Some of the questions in the survey may bring up uncomfortable feelings, but are not expected to produce any longstanding psychological damage.

There are no direct benefits to you or compensation for participating in the study. However, your participation in the study may benefit counselors by increasing their understanding of how pregnancy and relationships affect the postpartum period in lesbian couples.

CONTACT PEOPLE:
If you have any questions regarding this research, please contact the Principal Investigator at the email listed above. If you have any questions about your rights as a research subject, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at 575-646-7177.

If you experience distress and/or discomfort during or after your participation in this study, please contact Postpartum Support International (PSI) to find free local support. Volunteers from PSI can be contacted by phone at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), Monday through Friday 8am-4:30pm Pacific Time, or found at the following website: http://www.postpartum.net/Get-Help.aspx. Calls and requests are returned as soon as possible.

CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE RESEARCH
I have read the above information. I am 18 years of age or older and I reside in the United States. I understand my participation is voluntary. I understand the procedures and conditions of my participation described above. My questions have been answered to my satisfaction, and by clicking on the button below, this indicates my consent to participate in this study.

If you agree to participate in the study please click on the link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/prenatalPPD
#2 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Happy to help. In question #3 you are missing the response option for someone who completed college but did not attend grad school. The possible answers jump straight from "some college" to "attended grad school". Should I just skip that question, or should I want and answer once you've resolved that error?

Also, and this is probably minor, but there is no place to click "I Agree". It just says "Next".

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#3 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  We made the changes and you can fill out the survey now.

Cindy

#4 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM

This is also a kind of random response but is the "others" in this supposed to be partners or children or just others in general bc I feel like I would have drastically different responses?  

Me (39)  and DH (FTM 40) and DS 17 months old.  TTC# 2 via KD  

#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM

The options for the survey as filled out by a non-pregnant partner are a little confusing; I clicked "no" to indicate that I'm not pregnant myself, but the next set of questions asks "if you are pregnant, what's the due date," so I answered that one too. I wonder if the wording could be changed on those?

#6 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelia15 View Post

This is also a kind of random response but is the "others" in this supposed to be partners or children or just others in general bc I feel like I would have drastically different responses?  

I'm not sure I understand the question?  If this helps--the study/survey is for pregnant moms and their partners/wives/etc. only. 

#7 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethpaisley View Post

The options for the survey as filled out by a non-pregnant partner are a little confusing; I clicked "no" to indicate that I'm not pregnant myself, but the next set of questions asks "if you are pregnant, what's the due date," so I answered that one too. I wonder if the wording could be changed on those?

Yes, it is important for partners to enter the due date as well.  This is because we are keeping track of the timing of the pregnancy as well as the timing of the birth for the postpartum survey.  I think we changed the wording so that it is less confusing.  Thanks!

#8 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do not belong to a lesbian family, but have two friends who are informal live-in partners. But they do not belong to this forum. Would you care to have them respond on line to your survey through m?. Both of them would sit with me as I reply to the questions for them. For reasons of privacy (lesbian partnerships continue to be taboo in our community), their names and very specific known details will have to be replaced.

Thanks.

Uzra

#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM

we hope to be pregnant soon, so i'll check back to this thread and if you're still gathering participants at that time, i'm happy to help.

will be TTC in late 2014 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI. queer, 32. DW is 41.  married 10 yrs. 

and soon          

Tags
Pregnancy , Lgbtq

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page