Can't get approval for At Home ICI or IUI! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! This is my first time posting - ever! I've read through many threads and having seen so many wonderful, supportive comments, decided to try my luck. My wife and I have decided to take the plunge into parenthood! I am already a parent to a wonderful little girl from a previous relationship, but we're ready to extend our family. 

The problem? We cannot, for the lives of us, seem to find a doctor, OB/GYN, Midwife or anyone willing to sign off on an at home insemination. Everyone (I'm talking my regular GP and OB/GYN as well as at least 10 other practices) demand that the insemination happen in office. This is simply not what we want. I am reaching out here, in somewhat frustration and desperation, to see if anyone in the VA or DC area has recommendations. We have found a donor via a cryobank and have a kit all ready to go. The only thing we need at this point in for a doctor to sign off on us to pick up the vials from the bank and go make a baby!

So please, if you have any recommendations for us, I would really appreciate it. We're so excited to have come to this decision and cannot wait to grow our family!

#2 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 AM

I wish I had a name for you, how frustrating! You probably thought of this already but just in case, did you try reaching out to the sperm bank (or any bank) to see if they have a list of providers in your area who have signed off on deliveries for others? I know, for example, when a new provider is first registered with TSBC, they are asked whether they want to be included in a referral directory for future clients. You might try contacting TSBC even if that isn't your bank. Good luck!!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#3 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Good suggestion from Sphinxy. Alternately, do you have any friends who are doctors or NPs who would sign for you? Or, reach out to your local homebirth midwives? There's a practice in NOVA (can't remember the name) or the MAMAS midwives in MoCo. Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#4 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies! I've done a little more searching today and unfortunately received more "no"s. Unfortunately, I do no know anyone that could legally sign off on these forms. I did read some where that NW Cryobank does not require a medical provider to sign off on vial releases. Have you heard of that bank or know anyone that's had experience with them?

Thanks again!

Mandarie 

#5 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I think I have heard that about NW too.  I have not heard anything bad about them except maybe that the customer service is a little slow.  Their prices are lower than some other places.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

NW is a small bank, but it is true, they do not require a doc signature.  They ship vials directly to your home in a dewar, you use the samples and send the tank back.  Easy as can be.  When we were ttc our daughter we used NW and had no doc involvement at all, I got my wife pregnant at home!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#7 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We used (and are using) NW. They've been pretty ok to work with, though there are lots of perks that other banks offer that NW doesn't, and their customer service is fine, if not stellar. That said, every shipment from them has been on time, when we have had problems they've worked with us to solve them, and our daughter is the most beautiful baby ever born. Everyone says so, just ask my mom! wink1.gif
Kidding aside, I would say that they are probably your best bet, and they definitely will ship to you with no dr signoff. Good luck TTC! And feel free to join us over in Queer Conceptions!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#8 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM

We have been using NW and have had them ship to home, but I think my midwife had to sign something.  have you talked to any midwives, sometimes they are more relaxed

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#9 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Update: First off, I really appreciate all the replies! My wife and I have decided to move forward with finding a donor through NW. We are extremely excited! 

I will be sure to stick around these forums, as it seems like there is a really great support group here!

Thanks again everyone!

Mandarie (and family)

#10 of 11 Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Just FYI, NW is running a Labor Day sale on vials from now until Sept 8. They run 20% of sales about once every two years.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#11 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM

We used NW, the dr just had to sign off that my wife was under a dr's care. They will ship to your home. We did have 1 tank arrive thawed. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page