Boy Scouts allowed to give presentation to public school boys--during class time! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.  I am looking for support/feedback about this situation.  I am a lesbian mother to two boys (ages 7 and 9).  They attend public school (in Texas) and every year, the principal allows the Boy Scouts to come into school to give a presentation about "how awesome it is to be a boy scout!!".  And for the first two years, my boys came home, begging to join.  They are finally at the age where I can explain why they cannot join, and they do understand.

Last week, I finally got enough strength (thank you PMS!) to meet with the principal to discuss the issue.  Having recently come out as a lesbian, I didn't even bring the issue up about Boy Scouts not allowing gay people to be leaders. Instead, I focused on the religious issue.  And the fact that only the boys were pulled out of class- the girls remained in the classroom.  Well, the principal (a woman) offered to let my sons stay in the classroom and not attend the presentation.  When I pressed her about the religious issue, she became defensive with "I am not going there!" response.  She stated the the Boy Scouts were given permission by the school district.
I left frustrated and unheard.  Should I pursue this issue with the school district?

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#2 of 3 Old 09-08-2013, 05:39 PM

I would follow the chain of command and work your way up to the school board if need be!

Finally after 26 cycles we got our pos.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***2ndtri.gif***36***40

Mom to Matthew(11), Brett(9), and soon Emmitt Parker! Now playing mom to nephew David (7)!

#3 of 3 Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Yes, absolutely! Perhaps your local ACLU chapter may be of help? In NC, where I live, there are ongoing issues with public meetings (including school board) opening with Christian prayer. ACLU has been challenging this.

Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page