Queer Conceptions October - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congrats, Redrock! That's great news!

Pook, I'm sorry it was just the beginning of AF. greensad.gif Progesterone is so awful for that kind of thing.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

redrockband, AHHHHHH!!!!! keep us posted!

Darcy, I have all of that info somewhere, lemme look.   Ok, basically, we were given this quote by Sd fertility for out of pocket IVF: $12,170 + $470 for anesthesia + medications (can range up to $8,000).  But onlly 2k of that can be paid for by our insurance if we end up qualifying to use our benefits.  We might be able to get our meds covered, which is great.  

From FSMG, they said this: $10,500 + $460 for anesthesia + medications.  If our insurance covers this, then we would potentially only have to pay $4,000 plus a $1,000 deductible in addition to our regular one.  The "facility fee" for the surgical center is usually the largest cost, and the "professional fee" to pay the RE is usually not as large. The surgical fee for SD Fertility is much higher than at FSMG as far as I can tell.

Hope that helps!

afm, we're now 3dpiui, and lady is eating her pineapple and putting in the progesterone suppository like a good ttcer!  for whatever reason, i'm convinced this is not the cycle it happens, although even while i type that i realize that i'm lying, that i totally think this is it.  but i think just because the financial part is my responsibility, it's important for me to feel like we have a plan for the next cycle(s).  thinking of you all!

partners.gif me (30), wifey (35, will carry), three IUIs with FDS, all BFNs, 4th IUI w/ clomid, trigger, and progesterone: BFP, m/c at 9.5 weeks, d&c.  5th IUI BFN.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

fried: Sorry to hear about the AMH results, but good that you are doing IVF now. I hoping everyone doing IVF results in a big gayby boom over here. 

isa: Hurrah for a good transfer. Can't wait to hear if there are one or two little growing beans in there.

sandiego: Good luck, I hope this is it for you too

mama: We didn't make it to the Ani concert, I was bummed but it was after this crazy folk/gospel/crazy concert. Spirit Family Reunion and a few other bands.

lea: So sorry to hear AF showed up. Hopefully you can work out travel next month to try again

darcy: Welcome back, good luck with the upcoming tries. We only did one insem per cycle. Are you doing IUI's or ICI's?

pook: What a bummer about AF, but how great that you're LP was 10 days, it is definitely an improvement. I wish we would foster/adopt, it sounds hard but we really hope that it's an option for us one day when laws here change

jam: Good luck this cycle, you are doing IUI's with a Dr. right? 

sandie: Fingers crossed for you and your lady. Hope that pineapple does the trick. 

AFM: Took another test this morning, a digital and it clearly said pregnant. We told my mom yesterday and she was really excited. She said she knew before we came over. We'll tell the rest of my family this week and DW will decide when she wants to tell hers. They are all very conservative Mormon folk and don't think we should have kids so we'll see how that goes. I'll stick around here for a while if that's alright. We are on  mission to find a midwife and are cautiously hoping it sticks

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM

pook - really sorry to hear about the BFN. It's so hard to see it there after everything and nothing eases the pain! I hope you're able to get lucky next time. Great my little one will have a cousin the same age - just a shame it's on the other side of the world!

redrock - my icons have all disappeared but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! i'll do a proper fruit parade tonight but that's fantastic news, about time we had a BFP here!!!!

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Sandie - glad to hear things are going well so far! Have you guys set a timeframe for when you're going to test?

Redrock - yes we're going with a doctor. This will be our second natural IUI... This was your second or third at home try? So happy for you two smile.gif

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35* ***40
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi all! As we approach the end of the month...anyone up for being thread keeper in November? 

me (34), dp (39), and baby J who joined us in October 2014!

(Two years and two mcs after we started tcc )
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Congratulations redrockband!  I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.  :joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM

REDROCK --  WHOO HOO HOO!!!!:clap

banana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gif

CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH!!!  :joy

I am sending lots of positive pregnancy vibes your way!  

YEAH!!!!

(I'll be back to post more personals later this week...until then, love and light to all:))

blowkiss.gif Me   wild.gif  DW  ROTFLMAO.gifDS (10)

IVI with KD fresh swimmers, at home.  BFP on 5th try with current KD...m/c in wk 7candle.gif.   BFP on 2nd try (after mc)...m/c #2, wk 7 candle.gif

Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookafaye View Post

And... I'm spotting. So I guess I'm out for this month. I don't know what was going on with all those symptoms. This also only gives me a 10 day luteal phase. It's an improvement over 8, but it's not enough. I'm so disappointed. Do you guys think that things are still balancing out and that I'll see a bigger improvement on the LP next month?

Not sure if we'll continue trying after next month because it gets in to the academic calendar and could mess with life all around. Our backup plan has been to just make ourselves open to another relinquished child and hope that we hit the baby lottery the way we did with S. It's also still at least until March if not July until we know what's going on with A. He's 13 months old now and has been with us for 9 months. I <3 that guys so much, it breaks my hear to think of him leaving.

I haven't been following along at all but have you tried vitamin b6 to lengthen your luteal phase? I've seen it work for lots of ppl. Do some research though as you don't want to take too much....

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 AM

redrock - as promised! broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Everything I just typed got deleted ugh! let's try this again...

Congrats Redrock!!!! We are doing IUIs with RE because I am follicle size challenged, have a very low amh and need clomid to ovulate a mature follicle and also have low progesterone. I think I want to try an ICI at home, too. 

Jam - Thanks for the info. Our doc says the same thing but with all the bumps in the road we are encountering I feel like an additional insem can't hurt. 

Sandiegongp - Wow! Thank you for getting all of that info. It's really helpful to see real numbers so that we know what we might be getting ourselves into. We are going to start saving right away and I will also have DW look into her insurance. It might cover more than mine does. It's so great to hear you have insurance that will cover a large portion of your bill if needed. That's got to feel great!

me (35) married to dw (28)
TTC#1 with frozen swimmers 
IUI #6 Dec 2013 BFN
IUI #7 Jan 2013 BFP finally but the bean didn't stick
IUI #8 TBD
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Darcy I would also suggest looking into getting your meds from abroad if you find yourself going that route. The prices are a lot cheaper than what Sandiegongp posted. Afaik it is legal to import drugs for personal use into the US.

pooka I second vit. B and also vitex. I hope your LP sorts itself out. My doc was always very adamant about me getting at least 12 days to give the embryo a good chance to implant.

afm where is AF when I want her to come? I can't wait to start shooting up. Fun fact, did you know that Menopur is made from older womens pee and Ovitrelle from genetically modified cells from a chinese hamster? Hamsters and pee, worth 2000 bucks (which is more than our wedding bands cost -eek) currently occupying a third of our refrigerator, this whole IVF business feels like a cross-over episode of McGyver and Dr Who.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 AM

Fried - Nice! Menopur is good as apparently has less chance of giving you hyperstimulated ovaries!!! They unfortunately don't have it in Guernsey so I had to make do with Ovritrelle (which was the syringe that cracked our first go round). When's your wedding? A little tip - rub an ice cube on the injection spot to numb & you shouldn't have too much trouble with the jabs.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM

The wedding was last month, last weekend in september. We already celebrated our 1 month anniversary :joy

Did you use Ovitrelle more than once? Was it part of your stim protocol? The Menopur in my protocol is for stimulation, just like Bravelle, Gonal F or Puregon that most people seem to use. Those however as far as I know don't contain LH with the FSH, so with my questionable egg quality they gave me Menopur since that LH supposedly helps for that. Menopur as a brand isn't available in Germany either, but I had the pharmacy do a EU import from Czech, which also saved us 20% and got the other two meds via internet from France, also at 30% off. There was an even cheaper option of using Merional instead of Menopur, but that one isn't licensed for most EU countries since part of it comes from China and they can't show that those incredients aren't possibly infected with BSE. I guess that risk for getting infected with mad cow disease via chinese older womens pee is neglectible though. With the Menopur I take Citrotide from day 7 for O suppression (some people use Ganirelix or Lupron or Synarela) and the Ovitrelle as the final shot to release the goodies.

I am not really scared of hyperstimulating right now with my amh level and if it turns out that we do get there, we might forego the transfer and just do a FET next month. My clinic usually recommends doing it that way because they say the pregnancy is what makes it really worse.

You're feeling better by now though, I hope? Belly growing from baby instead of OHSS bloating?

By the way - I never heard back about the BBC documentary, I guess we didn't fit with their vision. Are you participating?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM

Hey Lea - If no one else has their heart set on it I can create the November thread and be thread keeper.

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35* ***40
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Fried--I was on a menopur protocol both times, and no OHSS--I don't know if that's just luck or something to do with the meds, but I do know that drinking gatorade (or any other nasty electrolyte sports drink) for the first couple days after retrieval helps--lots of salt and fluids. I think I got menopur because my eggs are also kind of crappy. I didn't know you could stim with ovitrelle/ovidril. I've always used it just as a trigger. Isn't the hamster stuff crazy? When I was a little kid, instead of pretending to be a kitten or a pony or whatever I would always pretend to be a hamster, so I got a special thrill out of becoming part hamster for real to make babies.

Darcy--another thing to ask your clinic if you do get going on IVF is whether they have any cost-sharing or donated meds you could take advantage of. Last time I had some extras and no one on here was in a place to use them, so I just brought them back to the clinic and they donated them to someone whose insurance didn't cover them. And I know lots of places offer some kind of shared risk program where you pay more than you would for a single cycle but if it doesn't work you get another one or two for free. All worth looking into.

AFM--not sure what to think these days. I feel a little nauseated, and a little tired and a little everything else. But whatever it is is really subtle and I can't tell if it's just PMS trying to break through these meds or early pregnancy. We'll find out on Friday. Yesterday DP's two cousins both had little baby girls--they're so thrilled to have had them on the same day! It's exciting and happy, but I can't help feeling a little sorry for myself if I'm not pregnant and have to go through all of this again.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Prettyisa am thinking of you lady, I hope the wait is somewhat bearable fingersx.gif for friday.

And yeah, the hamster stuff is wild. I was glad to learn that no little hamsters have to die for it anymore.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

fried: How bizarre, hey if hamsters and pee do the trick I guess I should be more grateful for them :wink

darcy: well I would say based on everything I've read that one vial with an IUI is the way to go. You've got to do what's best though. If we could have afforded it I would have wanted to use two per cycle

jam: It was our third try, but really only our second I guess since we totally botched one of them and inseminated a week early

liz and jwaite: thanks for the veggies!!

isa: can't wait for Friday! nauseated is a good sign, I don't know how it was with your first but other than nausea the painful breasts was the biggest difference for me between normal PMS and being pregnant. They hurt, so bad, it's crazy. DW is obsessed with checking everyday to see how different they look and feel. 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 AM

redrockband joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

prettyisa fingersx.gif

Sorry for no other personals. My period came along on Monday, so I've been "managing my disappointment" (with chocolate and mindless television watching, mostly). My chart (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fillefantome) was crazy this month (traveling, irregular temping, temporarily lost/unavailable thermometers, you name it). I never had a clear temp raise and FF thought I was just at 5 DPO on Monday when my period started. Totally inexplicable/maddening, though there's nothing I could really have done either way--we'd started insemming by when I figure I must actually have O'd CD14-16, so we did have a decent to good try (even if it was fruitless-literally). But, it's the first time I haven't been able to figure out where I O'd looking backwards--which makes me really nervous about whether I actually did O--and if I didn't, if this means there's something wrong that's going to mean TTC will have to go high tech (which I absolutely can't afford).

We'll ship again in November--the upside to having this cycle end so much earlier than I thought was that I should be ovulating in mid instead of late Nov, so my KD won't be traveling for Thanksgiving, and we can hopefully get a November insem in.

I'm thinking I'll talk to my doctor about whether I should do some testing during the December cycle (assuming November isn't my month). I'll likely have met my out-of-pocket maximum for the year by then, so assuming my insurance will cover testing--it doesn't cover "infertility treatment"--that would make sense financially. I'll have been trying for a year, officially, with 6 actual insem cycles, so I think we'll have given it the old low tech (ish) try, and might as well get some medical input on whether everything's in order.

I officially hate this. I signed a baby shower card this morning for one of my coworkers who's due in a month, and who I know struggled with her fertility, and this is the first time I've been jealous of her, instead of excited for her. So, bleh.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM

fille - sorry to hear that.

fried - CONGRATS! I think I knew that but  baby brain is kicking in xx   :joy

We only used Ovitrelle once as a trigger. Yeah wanted to use Menopur instead of Gonal but didn't have the choice. Good job on getting them cheap!   I had gonal, then orgalutran to stop the ovulation then ovritrelle at the end. Good point about the overstimulation.

I feel much better ta, have a baby belly though! not liking looking down and not seeing my toes but it's all for a good reason.  Not heard back from the BBC either, who knows what they're doing x

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

fille - so sorry to hear about AF. It sounds like some extra tests and consultation with your doctor wouldn't hurt, but I hope November is your lucky month! I'll move you back to waiting to O. I've been dealing with a lot of the same feelings you expressed...I can relate.

prettyisa - I'm crossing my fingers for you! Hope you get good news on Friday.

Fried - I hope AF is on the way! I feel like I'm learning so much about the IVF process from you and the others - things I've never thought of. Hamsters and pee...who knew?

jam - thanks for taking the thread next month!

Nothing much happening here. Onward to November. I'm heading across the country again this weekend to meet up with our KD - expecting to O on Tuesday. Trying very hard to keep my chin up and remain hopeful.

me (34), dp (39), and baby J who joined us in October 2014!

(Two years and two mcs after we started tcc )
Old 10-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Happy Halloween! Come on over to the new thread!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1392294/queer-conceptions-november

User Tag List