Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 194 Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies, I have a slighlty random question. If you heard the name Quinn (for a boy), would it bring up any negative connotations/similar words for you? It doesn't for me but it does for DW which is putting her right off the name even though I love it. Apparently in the UK quim means vagina, and she thought it would be weird 2 lesbians calling their son a name that was very similar! I'd never heard the word before coming to the UK and it wouldn't ever have occurred to me!

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#62 of 194 Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
GRANITE! How ADORABLE are you?!?!?! Love that picture. Print it, frame it, put it up. So often we leave great pics adrift and don't print them. Go print it. That is, unless you're busy having a baby. Then, you're excused.

Names.
Quinn. Love it. But if your partner has even a remotely negative connection, then chuck it.

That's our approach in general. As two queers in their 30's, we had a huge list of exes names to veto, plus a whack more really cool ones from friends/lovers/exes who had transitioned. Man, those folks who transition and get to pick new names picks REALLY GOOD ONES. In our group of peeps, anyway. By the time we got through all the vetoed names, we didn't have that many left, actually. That made it a bit easier.

Even if your kid has a name that is untouchable by bullies, then the bullies will just make one up and stick it on them anyway. Or you could be named after a girl who gets pig-blood dumped on her in a Stephen King book and give the bullies YEARS of fodder with very little effort.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#63 of 194 Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

starling - good point! Yeah I agree, think DW would be OK with it she just needs to convince herself not everyone thinks the way she does.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#64 of 194 Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Starling--they DO, right? So many good names, already stolen by people who needed them more than my imaginary children. The nerve! smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#65 of 194 Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

that's funny about the people you know. I only know 2 gay guys (both called Steve), no trans people & a few lesbians! It's a very quiet community over here so 90% of my friends are straight. DW has no exes and I have 1 so it means we have a LOT of names to choose from!!! If only she wasn't so fussy though...

#66 of 194 Old 11-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi all, I'm cautiously ready to join yall over here on the pregnancy thread. I got a BFP on Sunday at 11 DPO and then of course I obsessively took 5 more tests throughout the week. AF is officially 3 days late.

Quick question. What do yall think about trampoline jumping this early? I've read various things online from it's fine to absolutely not. DW and I are having our bday party tonight at the trampoline park. I'm leaning towards it's fine, but if anyone has any knowledge to share I would reconsider.  

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#67 of 194 Old 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Congrats! My advice is that if you think you'd feel guilty if anything went wrong after you did/ate/thought/etc then it's probably not worth it.
Sending sticky thoughts!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#68 of 194 Old 11-02-2013, 01:39 PM

ps. Regardless of perceived or actual risk. smile.gif

#69 of 194 Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Congratulations, RedRock! I agree with Starling that while it is probably fine it may not be worth doing anything that you would regret if things didn't work.

Granite: How are you? Cuddling a little one or waiting out the last few days of pregnancy?

We're at 37 weeks! We're getting closer to ready, but I hope we still have a couple of weeks. My wife is continuing to function amazingly well for being this pregnant, but of course she feels huge and can't sleep very well.

Hi to everyone else!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#70 of 194 Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Thanks starling and escher. I decided to just do what felt comfortable and didn't end up jumping really at all, played some dodge ball and ran around but the jumping didn't feel great. 

#71 of 194 Old 11-05-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

redrock - woooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooo!!! so excited for your BFP. When's your due date so I can add you? x

#72 of 194 Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 PM

New here! DW and I expecting our second but it is my first time carrying. Due on DW's bday--3/9/14. Anyone have any tips on airline travel around the holidays? I'll be around 30 weeks. A little nervous to travel with a 2 year old cross country while preggo. Eeks.
#73 of 194 Old 11-06-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Madronedw - welcome! I have to say I've avoided long plane travel (24 hours) but they say to stay very hydrated etc whilst pregnant, and wear those travel socks as you're at high risk of DVT. You also might need to get permission from your doctor as some airlines are funny about women flying after they're 28 weeks.. Re your two year old - bring lots to entertain them I'd think as they're pretty mobile at that age!! Good luck!

#74 of 194 Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Liz: My EDD varies depending on what calculator is use. We'll go with July 8th because that is also our anniversary. We'll get an ultrasound in a few weeks to get a better guesstimate.

madronedew: I've read that it's okay to travel, I would talk to your doc and see what they say. We are planning to travel at some point for a big baby shower in DC so I'd love to hear what you find out. 

#75 of 194 Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, redrockband and Liz! I will let you know what my midwife has to say.

I was also wondering what folks are thinking about childbirth classes. We went through a queer childbirth class for number 1. It was really good. I'm not really sure what to do about a childbirth class for #2. Part of me thinks we should do it since our roles are very different this time, and I think it could give me peace of mind and a potential community of queer folks expecting around the same time, but I also don't want to feel like I'm spending a lot of time and resources on repetitive information. And of course this time we will need to find child care for our little one!
#76 of 194 Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi madronedw! Congratulations on your pregnancy! We live in the same town. We took the Kaiser class and it was actually quite good. If you have Kaiser that might be an option. I also took a class as part of my doula training in Albany. It was a great class but longer and more expensive. I can give you the info if you're interested. Also, let me know if you would like info on how to join a local group of queer parents. We have a Facebook group and they do regular play dates and such. They might also have recommendations for a class.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#77 of 194 Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Hi all... Just checking in, to say that I'm 40w+2d and the babe's giving few signs of appearing! I'm a little bit crampy, but not much. Still feeling good, though! Just sleepy... Very sleepy...

Here's a crappy webcam pic:

Welcome, redrockband and madronedw! Congrats on your pregnancies!

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#78 of 194 Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

granite - you must be getting VERY impatient!!!!!

Redrock - will update that, thanks.

Beastie- how are things with you?

I had a midwife appointment this week & got to hear the heartbeat for the first time which was pretty exciting. 2nd December for anomoly scan & to find out the sex, hopefully. I've had 7 dreams now about having a boy and none about a girl so it will be interesting to see. Also I found out I'm due Easter Sunday so hoping on time as DW doesn't get any paid leave and bank holidays are great! Also 3 bank holidays over here in May (they fit them all into 2 months stupidly) so she'll get a bit of paid leave which is great.

Wishing a good weekend to everyone.

#79 of 194 Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Liz: How exciting! I can't wait to hear the heartbeat. I think it will all seem more real then. I had a crazy baby dream last night. Are you and DW hoping for a girl or a boy? 

Granite: That's great to hear that you are still feeling great. It's nice to hear the opposite of the usual narrative of the last trimester being unbearable. Hope baby decides to give some signs of readiness for you. 

AFM: Not much going on here. We are interviewing midwives and hope to pick one by next week. The one we really want to use is up in the air because her admitting privileges are up for renewal and the hospital is being less than nice. I really hope it works out though because we really felt good about her. 

#80 of 194 Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Granite - still no movement at the station? It's obviously happy there! I had two friends give birth over the weekend so hope you'll be next.

Redrock it's an amazing sound and very encouraging. We don't mind either way as long as it's health, but I've now had seven dreams where I was having a boy and nine with a girl so I'm convinced it's a boy!!

#81 of 194 Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Well Liz, it seems like it's just me and you. I hope we get a burst of BFP's over on the conceptions board. We don't have a preference for sex either. Nearly everyone we have told that we are pregnant has asked about the sex of the baby. When we tell them we will find out when the baby is born, they aren't just disappointed and confused, but upset/angry. It's so strange to me. Most often it is accompanied by something about not being able to buy things for the baby, and how ridiculous we are for not wanting to know. 

DW told her mom today. She had been hesitant to tell her because we didn't know how she would react, but it seems to have gone well and she seemed to be thinking of the baby as DW's as well, which we didn't think she would do. I hope things continue to go well with her side of the family. Not much else going on, we'll have a midwife picked by this week and hopefully an ultrasound in the next couple of weeks. I have been feeling more nauseous today, but nothing horrible and no migraines yet. If this is the case I might become a professional surrogate. haha jk :wink

Any news Granite and Escher? 

#82 of 194 Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Hi Everyone,

We're at 38 weeks now, so probably we have a few more weeks but it is starting to feel like it could be any time.

Redrock: I'm glad that your DW's mom reacted pretty well. Telling people can be tricky, I think. I hope the midwife you like best will work out!

Liz: Hooray for a heartbeat! It is so nice to hear that sound, especially for the first time. Not too long now until your big scan!

Granite: Congratulations on making it to 40 weeks!

Hi to everyone else!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#83 of 194 Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 PM

Hi all, we had a baby! He was born at home yesterday morning at 8 am, weighing 9.4 lbs... More later! All is well and wonderful!

:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy:joy

CocoBird likes this.

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#84 of 194 Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Granite - WOOO HOOO!!! congratulations that's awesome! hope you're feeling OK, looking forward to hearing details. :joy

redrock that's great news and I'm glad DW's mum was OK about it. I'm lucky as DW's mum is SOOOO excited about it and it hasn't really occurred to her that it's not related by blood. Isa has twins so hopefully she'll come on board here soon.

Escher - you're next! I hope your last couple of weeks are relatively comfortable and it all goes quickly. Very exciting hearing a heartbeat, just over 2 weeks until the big scan so looking forward to that.

AFM one of my friends gave birth this week at 28 weeks. Baby is 2 pounds 1 but seems to be OK. He was off a ventilator until today which amazes me so hopefully he continues to get stronger.

#85 of 194 Old 11-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Congratulations granite! I hope you are healing well and loving your baby boy!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#86 of 194 Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Congratulations, Granite! Hooray!!!!! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#87 of 194 Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Granite! WELCOME, BABY! joy.gif
Congratulations!
I cannot wait to hear more.
Yay for healthy babies!

#88 of 194 Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 PM

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥
Welcome Granite Jr!!!

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#89 of 194 Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 AM

So very happy for you, granite! Congrats!!

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#90 of 194 Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 PM

Yay!!! Congratulations, granite!!!! Enjoy!

Queer parent on the adventure of a lifetime raising my sweet little guy, born at home in September 2012, with the love of my life by my side!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page